Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quote of the Day II

"You're right there's a massive appetite for that sort of thing," says id Software's Tim Willits on why RAGE is eschewing the traditional deathmatch featured in most shooters. "But it's like McDonalds. There's a McDonalds on every street corner, and I love McDonalds, but I don't want to eat McDonalds every day. Sometimes you need to have steak." Thanks Computer and Video Games.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 24, 2011, 09:23 descender

Was in response to some deleted post, not you sir.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 17, 2011, 08:46 Verno

descender wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 12:49:
Your justification is shit, just like your McDonalds. No surprise.

Err, I don't eat McDonalds. I think you're confused.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

43. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 16, 2011, 12:49 descender

Your justification is shit, just like your McDonalds. No surprise.  

42. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 16, 2011, 09:24 Verno

I think I misread your comment, sorry. I don't agree about there being a ton of well populated stock CS:S servers with stock settings(as in awp, no SM mods). I was more commenting on the fact that things like GunGame are fine but tend to fracture the community a bit and having a hugely modded server list adds some barriers of entry I'm not fond of. I don't mind Gungame but even with tags and filters it can become tiresome trying to find decent servers when you just want to play the base game.  

41. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 15, 2011, 20:08 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 09:35:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:28:

GunGame Turbo Deathmatch 2x on CS:S!

The pinnacle of twitch deathmatch (instant spawn), must get a kill with every weapon in progression and twice through, only one winner.
Usually me.

Yeah, nowhere is this more apparent than Counter-Strike. No awp servers because people can't handle it, tons of ridiculous no-grav gungame type maps and literal blender maps where you spawn and run straight into the enemy. Thankfully due to the server browser you can now filter most of it out but its practically impossible to find a decently populated stock server these days.

What's more apparent?

My comment was just directed at those bored with DM. I think it still has it's place, especially if done right. CS is not a DM game but GG Turbo DM is really something to behold.

GunGame is pretty standardized, there's different modes to be played but the ladders play standard Turbo no-dm. I haven't seen low gravity in a CS server in years and would personally leave a server if they flipped that on. I think you're very wrong about finding vanilla CS servers, there are tons of them and they're easy to find.

40. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 15, 2011, 09:35 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:28:

The pinnacle of twitch deathmatch (instant spawn), must get a kill with every weapon in progression and twice through, only one winner.
Usually me.

Yeah, nowhere is this more apparent than Counter-Strike. No awp servers because people can't handle it, tons of ridiculous no-grav gungame type maps and literal blender maps where you spawn and run straight into the enemy. Thankfully due to the server browser you can now filter most of it out but its practically impossible to find a decently populated stock server these days.

39. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 15, 2011, 04:07 Dev

So... why do the regenerating health thing AGAIN and AGAIN! Even duke nukem.

How about giving me a steak sometimes.

38. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 14, 2011, 22:33 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 12:56:
Extrapolating his argument, when they added Combat mode (team deathmatch) to Natural Selection, it basically (from my perspective) killed the game. They took a game designed from the ground up to be a methodical team strategy game and shoehorned it into tiny little deathmatch maps. By the time I finally stopped playing NS there were only a handful of actual NS servers and a slew of pointless combat servers. Instant gratification is popular among gamers.

100% agreed. I left for a short while, only a month or so, when the new mode came out. When I came back I didn't recognize the game nor did I want to play. Then the good players who had their fill of the original switched to combat and the regular mode turned shitty with low player counts and idiots.

37. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 14, 2011, 22:28 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 10:50:
As somebody who grew up playing deathmatch, I can safely say I no longer enjoy playing it. It has no substance anymore. DM with Quake was a bit of an art form, but today there is just nothing to it. It's thrown in games solely because it's considered the "basic" multiplayer mode, nevermind that 95% of the games with multiplayer DM or otherwise never get played and are ghost towns weeks after release.

Tennis to DM? That's not an analogy, even; it's a direct comparison. Let me dig up the appropriate definition for you:

analogy > resemblance in some particulars between things otherwise unlike

Like, say, DM and fast food.

Usually me.

36. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 14, 2011, 19:45 djinn

Jerykk wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 19:42:
Plus it's all dual now, no standard DM. I wanna see some standard DM Quake 1. Full skill, no BS.

Dueling takes more skill than DM. In DM, it's easier to get kills because other players can do the bulk of the damage for you. In dueling, it's all you. No distractions, no excuses, no kill-stealing.

No argument But I want my DM from time to time.

35. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 14, 2011, 19:42 Jerykk

Plus it's all dual now, no standard DM. I wanna see some standard DM Quake 1. Full skill, no BS.

Dueling takes more skill than DM. In DM, it's easier to get kills because other players can do the bulk of the damage for you. In dueling, it's all you. No distractions, no excuses, no kill-stealing.

As for Rage not having deathmatch, I'm not too upset over it. Doom 3 had deathmatch and it was terrible. Unless a game is designed specifically for deathmatch, ala Quake 3, I say don't bother. In fact, I don't think Rage should even have multiplayer. Better to dedicate all resources to single-player, since that's where the focus is. Games that try to deliver both single-player and multiplayer usually end up failing to deliver quality experiences for both.

34. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 14, 2011, 19:23 SirKnight

Johny5's posts are prime examples why you do not do drugs then post on the internet.

Seriously wtf?

33. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 14, 2011, 19:16 djinn

To date I have yet to find a better Deathmatch game than iD's very own Doom2 (Quake1 comes close too) and Tim just shat all over that with his bullshit McDonalds analogy.

Quake 1 is still untouched for deathmatch. A shame Quakelive couldn't just add this to it's repertoire. The game is still alive, but the skill level to enter now is just insane. Plus it's all dual now, no standard DM. I wanna see some standard DM Quake 1. Full skill, no BS.

32. removed Jun 14, 2011, 18:41 space captain

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 14, 2011, 19:12.

Go forth, and kill!

31. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 14, 2011, 18:23 Creston

Prez wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 15:28:
"Drivel" is okay. Saying "Fuck You" to another person is not. Simple, no?

I don't think he's clever enough to really get that.

Creston

30. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 14, 2011, 16:59 entr0py

I think he's just trying to put a positive spin on the fact that game can't handle that many players. It makes sense, they're pushing the new engine as far as they can on aging consoles that use peer to peer multi-player. And he's doing a good job; very few people are interested in a 4 player deathmatch like Doom III.

But even 2 player co-op has the potential to be fun if done well. And the death race is a way of getting out of the more demanding assets they've set up for the FPS game.

29. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 14, 2011, 15:28 Prez

Edited..LOL All you tools can talk your Drivel all day, but I say FUCK you and it gets erased, Welcome to the hypocrisy I like to call America!

From the forum rules:

"Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated."

"Drivel" is okay. Saying "Fuck You" to another person is not. Simple, no?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 14, 2011, 14:08 Jonny5

Edited..LOL All you tools can talk your Drivel all day, but I say FUCK you and it gets erased, Welcome to the hypocrisy I like to call America!  

27. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 14, 2011, 14:07 Jonny5

Verno wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 14:04:
Asking you to behave like a human being instead of a terrible soundboard isn't exactly unreasonable but I can see from your posts that being reasonable is probably not something you've discovered how to do in any language.

Oh brother, seriously, what fucking Pulpit do you think you stand on?

" HAHA Charade you are" Pink Floyd

26. Re: Quote of the Day II Jun 14, 2011, 14:04 Verno

Asking you to behave like a human being instead of a terrible soundboard isn't exactly unreasonable but I can see from your posts that being reasonable is probably not something you've discovered how to do in any language.  

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo