Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website offers a new E3 trailer showing off game features in BioWare's upcoming Star Wars MMORPG. On display are: Cinematic Storytelling, Heroic Combat, Companion characters, Personal Starships, Space Battles, A Galaxy of Worlds, Vehicles, the Galactic Trade Network, Social Hubs, Crew Skills, Flashpoints, PvP Warzones, and Operations.
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer
Jun 12, 2011, 18:09
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer Jun 12, 2011, 18:09
Jun 12, 2011, 18:09

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 13:35:
With marketing you're going to be talking more like half a billion. So unless they're doing WoW like numbers for the next 5 years - which just will not happen, not even close - it's going to be a loss.

1 million subs for a year would be 180 million dude. Plus the boxed sales, digital sales and whatever DLC they might offer, plus the fact they will likely be around a LONG time, means they will have no problem breaking even eventually.

Jun 11, 2011, 13:35
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer Jun 11, 2011, 13:35
Jun 11, 2011, 13:35

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 10:52:
I doubt it will lose money in the end, the fear for EA is that it will lose revenue. Instead of spending 300 million on this and making 350 million eventually they could have spent 300 million on several smaller projects and made over a billion.

That's how corporations think. Anyone who doesn't think this will make its money back is being silly if you ask me. That's not the point though.

With marketing you're going to be talking more like half a billion. So unless they're doing WoW like numbers for the next 5 years - which just will not happen, not even close - it's going to be a loss.
People are alredy tired of MMOs as they are anyway, hence the excitement for things like GW2 which are really innovating. SWTOR brings nothing new to the table. It's the same old boring grind in a Star Wars wrapper. As I've said before the MMO model - at least like this will be over after this. Things like GW2 and Neverwinter (the idea of it anyway) are more going to become the norm. Smaller, more focused, content creation tools, etc.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jun 11, 2011, 11:26
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer Jun 11, 2011, 11:26
Jun 11, 2011, 11:26

I doubt it will lose money in the end, the fear for EA is that it will lose revenue. Instead of spending 300 million on this and making 350 million eventually they could have spent 300 million on several smaller projects and made over a billion.

I think Bioware and EA are in panic mode at this point. I think the game was done long before now and initial public reaction was tepid and enough people wanted space combat in the game so they went back to the drawing board to add that in. Fast forward to a year ago (approx) they start showing the space side of the game...again tepid response. Now they're frantically looking for something that will entice people to get excited. I think they're just praying something will get ppl excited and they can jump on that excitement and release the game.

I would be surprised if they offer a beta. The IP, sadly, is still popular enough that more people will buy it in the blind than will buy it after playing a beta... (assuming gameplay is what we've seen in video/interviews/previews).

I think they're worried about losing a lot of money and no one wants to commit and be the one who ends up "realizing the loss".

But, this could also be tied to their new Origin system. If that wasn't ready to go and EA was waiting to release the game until that was functioning this would at least explain why they won't set a release date or ship the game. But this doesn't change the fact that the game doesn't look like anything people initially got excited about. Fly a drop ship into a jedi temple and start a massive jedi brawl? Nope. Set a trap for a sith army with hundreds of republic troopers? Nope. Arrest a smuggler and during an attack have him change sides to fight with you against a common enemy. ? (I would guess no)

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2011, 11:32.

Jun 11, 2011, 10:52
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer Jun 11, 2011, 10:52
Jun 11, 2011, 10:52

That's how corporations think. Anyone who doesn't think this will make its money back is being silly if you ask me. That's not the point though.

Jun 11, 2011, 03:01
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer Jun 11, 2011, 03:01
Jun 11, 2011, 03:01

My point all along. Yeah, everyone will buy it and play for 1-3 months but once the story(s) have been seen there's no real reason to stay. Particularly after GW2 launches...I think even WoW and everything else is going to take a big hit from that...if everything we've seen so far lives up to the expectations.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jun 11, 2011, 02:15
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer Jun 11, 2011, 02:15
Jun 11, 2011, 02:15

Fion wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 23:03:
I'm fairly convinced this game is gonna hit soon. This video showing the games major features (note, it DIDN'T include the story and 100% voice acted dialog.. weird), combined with the games intro trailer and a website update listing all the classes and subclasses for the game.

I know we don't have a release date but to me the above hints at a release date that is right around the corner. The game has been in beta for just shy of a year as well, another sign the game is almost done.

There is noway in hell this game will see the light of day before Nov/Dec of this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed it back to sometime in 2012 at this point. Still no real beta(friends n family does not count)and the game needs alot more work.

If this golden turd tanks EA will be in a serious financial shit storm.

Sure, they'll sell a million copies, but if this doesn't ship polished as hell(which it probably wont) people will migrate right back to WoW after their 30 days is up.

Jun 11, 2011, 00:37
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer Jun 11, 2011, 00:37
Jun 11, 2011, 00:37

nothing heroic about the combat.. only thing that is intresting about this game is the storytelling.

Jun 11, 2011, 00:21
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer Jun 11, 2011, 00:21
Jun 11, 2011, 00:21

First Dragon Age 2 and now this, sigh.
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Jun 11, 2011, 00:07
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer Jun 11, 2011, 00:07
Jun 11, 2011, 00:07

Would be wise to hit before another WoW expansion or Guild Wars 2.

Jun 10, 2011, 23:03
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer Jun 10, 2011, 23:03
Jun 10, 2011, 23:03

I'm fairly convinced this game is gonna hit soon. This video showing the games major features (note, it DIDN'T include the story and 100% voice acted dialog.. weird), combined with the games intro trailer and a website update listing all the classes and subclasses for the game.

I know we don't have a release date but to me the above hints at a release date that is right around the corner. The game has been in beta for just shy of a year as well, another sign the game is almost done.
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older