The Secret World Video Diary

This trailer offers the first in a series of developer diaries from The Secret World, Funcom's upcoming conspiracy-laden MMORPG. The topic of this clip is story and missions, and it features Ragnar Tørnquist, Joel Bylos, and Dag Scheve discuss the storytelling possibilities for a game set in a world where every conspiracy theory you've ever heard turns out to be true. The developers also discuss the way the game's story is presented, and the various types of missions the player can undertake. The discussion is accompanied by a good deal gameplay footage. The embedded version follows.

View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

Re: The Secret World Video Diary
May 30, 2011, 16:39
Re: The Secret World Video Diary May 30, 2011, 16:39
May 30, 2011, 16:39

Combat looks clunky, animations look wooden, not to mention that an MMO is a terrible medium to tell the sort of scripted stories they talk about.

May 30, 2011, 17:07
Re: The Secret World Video Diary May 30, 2011, 17:07
May 30, 2011, 17:07

The game isn't even in Alpha yet, give it a break man. I wouldn't say the MMOG isn't the place to tell a scripted story, it is just a place that it hasn't been done yet.

I think the game has a fantastic premise, and the no classes/no levels mechanic is one I've always enjoyed. With Gaute Godager gone and the man behind two of the greatest adventure games ever made (Rangar Tornquist) directing the game, it may actually bring back Funcom's good name hehe.

May 30, 2011, 17:11
Re: The Secret World Video Diary May 30, 2011, 17:11
May 30, 2011, 17:11

CommunistHamster wrote on May 30, 2011, 16:39:
Combat looks clunky, animations look wooden, not to mention that an MMO is a terrible medium to tell the sort of scripted stories they talk about.

Agreed all around. And the textures look awful to boot. How can the most important story be your story when it's all about sublimating yourself to the will of the group to achieve the group's ends? I just can't see this working. They should have just made it a SP or even co-op CRPG where you can both plan and execute conspiracies or work to discover and counter them. This just sounds like more of the same MMO standard pablum in a different wrapper.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

May 30, 2011, 18:28
Re: The Secret World Video Diary May 30, 2011, 18:28
May 30, 2011, 18:28

Longest Journey 3 plz. Dreamfall ended with a bunch of cliffhangers and I'm much more interested in seeing them resolved than playing another MMO.

May 30, 2011, 18:52
Re: The Secret World Video Diary May 30, 2011, 18:52
May 30, 2011, 18:52

you guys are retarded,,,,

I think it looks original and cool and the graphics are fine.

the reason why my opinion counts more than 90% of the posters here is all you do is look for one negative thing you can say after the next with no thought, no context nothing.

Its predictable and ridiculous...

(and i left any spelling mistakes in on purpose.. feel free to justify yourselves by attacking it if you like)
The Whales name is Bob.

May 31, 2011, 03:42
Re: The Secret World Video Diary May 31, 2011, 03:42
May 31, 2011, 03:42

I loves me the Funcom but damn guys, those models look horrendous.
Looks like a half baked Ps3 game. You guys could really use some of that new fangled James Cameron facial animation tech in your mmo, along with waking up your art team and have them look at Blizzard's way of going after art direction.

The premise is indeed cool and different, here wishing them the best.
I'll be first in line if the game comes along well enough.
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer