Star Wars: The Old Republic Trooper Trailer

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has a new video trailer from BioWare's upcoming Star Wars MMORPG. The new clip demonstrates Trooper progression, as word is: "As the elite Trooper rises through the ranks of the Republic military, there are several ways he can specialize his training, and several sets of armor and weapons to match."
View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trooper Trailer
May 29, 2011, 03:04
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trooper Trailer May 29, 2011, 03:04
May 29, 2011, 03:04

Edit: On topic, ToR looks pretty good but it already looks dated to me. The look, the combat, the ui. It looks to much like WoW and while that isn't a bad thing, that style of MMOG is quickly becoming out dated. The 'stand around and trade hits' system of MMOG combat just isn't going to cut it anymore and quest based, static content is going the way of the dodo.

I'm not really seeing this new direction you speak of. The opposite of quest-based, static content is dynamic, emergent content and I'm definitely not seeing that in current or upcoming MMOs. Rift and Guild Wars 2 have "dynamic events" that basically consist of random enemy spawns but that's not really emergent gameplay. EVE is probably the closest thing to an MMO where players define the experience. That said, WoW is still (and will continue to be) the most popular MMO in existence so I don't see static, quest-based gameplay going out of style anytime soon.

May 28, 2011, 23:51
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trooper Trailer May 28, 2011, 23:51
May 28, 2011, 23:51

Why are the animations so bad?? come one bioware surely you can do better than this?

May 28, 2011, 12:18
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trooper Trailer May 28, 2011, 12:18
May 28, 2011, 12:18

Sempai wrote on May 28, 2011, 04:12:
Rift feels exactly like wow to me. I dont know what you mean by faster pace at all, It's like a total clone gameplay wise and with stiffer character animations.

Rift is like WoW in many ways, but combat is not one of them. The first several levels, yea. The UI, sure. The over all style of game, it certainly feels like WoW in many ways. But once you get 10 odd levels under your belt and enough abilities that you settle into your soul selections, the game really comes into it's own. The combat is faster, more animated, more intense. Raid gameplay (whether it be while doing a dungeon or fighting back an invasion) can get pretty chaotic but also a great deal of fun.

So yea Rift is a lot like WoW but not in the combat, at least after the first few levels. To me it's just a much more fun game combat wise, and the shear amount of class customization is just an added bonus. I could do without the quests though. Dynamic content for the win, thats why I am so looking forward to GW2.

Edit: On topic, ToR looks pretty good but it already looks dated to me. The look, the combat, the ui. It looks to much like WoW and while that isn't a bad thing, that style of MMOG is quickly becoming out dated. The 'stand around and trade hits' system of MMOG combat just isn't going to cut it anymore and quest based, static content is going the way of the dodo.

It is Bioware so they may surprise us by making the best damn game in that style out there, but it may not prevent the game from feeling 'old' right out the gate. Hopefully the highly custom story that lets you make real choices that actually affect your game will help keep the game from feeling to out dated.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2011, 12:24.

May 28, 2011, 05:22
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trooper Trailer May 28, 2011, 05:22
May 28, 2011, 05:22

Actually it's based on the Hero Engine. Apparently it was created over the last decade by a company called Simutronics. Originally it was for their own game, Hero's Journey, but they've since abandoned the game and focused on developing and licensing the engine. I think TOR will be the first game to use it.

http://www.heroengine.com/

May 28, 2011, 04:12
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trooper Trailer May 28, 2011, 04:12
May 28, 2011, 04:12

Rift feels exactly like wow to me. I dont know what you mean by faster pace at all, It's like a total clone gameplay wise and with stiffer character animations.

Am I wrong in assuming this is the same engine that Warhammer and DaoC used?

Now for SWTOR, I'm really looking forward to this but I agree, It still looks clunky, stiff and could really blow ass.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

Something...ANYTHING needs to come out and stick it to Activision/Blizzard and force them to get off their asses.

May 28, 2011, 01:30
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trooper Trailer May 28, 2011, 01:30
May 28, 2011, 01:30

Having recently come off the faster paced combat of Rift, this just looks painfully clunky and slow. Hope the story is good.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older