Out of the Blue

Over the weekend I replaced my (theoretically) squirrel-proof birdfeeder because the plastic was beginning to crack and the hard to clean areas of the feeder made me concerned I was starting to poison the birdies with moldy seed. It seems that what started as an impulse buy of a teeny feeder a couple of years ago has blossomed into a full hobby, as we now have that feeder and a smaller one MrsBlue found that's filled with seed specifically to attract goldfinches, all hanging from a specialty pole attached to the deck railing. This is situated in the area formerly occupied by the Mulberry tree I felled, which is highly visible, so now we're just waiting for the birds to rediscover it in its new location.

Well-Fed Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Vital Bloodshed. Thanks Daniel.
Hobo 5: Space Brawls.
Ultimate Physics Game.
Links: Life-Size Portal Turret Replica, Including Laser.
Awful Good: Christian Bale Alignment Chart.
The 5 Lamest Things People Have Rioted Over.
Stories: Transplant man shows off 'handsome' new face. Thanks Dan =0).
Science: How Many Intelligent Aliens are Out There?
Itty Bitty Donkey Kong.
Where The Wild Things Are- Star Wars Edition.
Media: Donkey Kong Doesn't Back Down. NSFW.
'ORIGINAL' NBA on NBC Theme. Thanks reddit.
EPIC Ping Pong. Anime can even make ping pong pervy.
View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
May 11, 2011, 08:46
Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2011, 08:46
May 11, 2011, 08:46

Creston wrote on May 10, 2011, 14:33:
Can squirrels climb a completely smooth steel pole? Because I don't think they can.

I was wondering the same thing.

Perhaps the pole needs to be wide enough so the squirrel can't "hug" the thing and climb that way... assuming they have enough upper-arm strength to "hug" hard enough to overcome the slick metal.

But as you said trees cause a problem: they'll perform various acrobatics to get to things so it would need to be far enough away that such an attempt would be deadly.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

May 10, 2011, 23:30
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 23:30
May 10, 2011, 23:30

Blue, you need that portal turret replica armed with a BB gun and programmed for squirrel targets.

Are you still there?.....There you are..... POW POW POW.

May 10, 2011, 14:33
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 14:33
May 10, 2011, 14:33

Can squirrels climb a completely smooth steel pole? Because I don't think they can. My birdfeeder is attached to a ten foot smooth steel pole, and I've never seen any damn squirrels in them, even though my area is infested with the little buggers. (it likely helps that there are no trees in my yard, though.)

Creston

May 10, 2011, 14:28
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 14:28

Place it high up where they can leap to on on top of a greased pole they can't climb.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 14:28

Regarding the Christian Bale link, I'm pretty sure Batman is Chaotic Good not Lawful Good.

May 10, 2011, 12:44
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 12:44
May 10, 2011, 12:44

It's weight sensitive and clamps shut when a squirrel goes on the post.

That sounds like my last feeder, which was responsible for a local squirrel obesity epidemic.

The feeder that probably would be the most effective was the one I couldn't bring myself to get. It has a battery-powered base that spins when too much weight is applied, which flings the squirrels, but this seemed far too potentially dangerous for my tastes (I'm still getting over the guilt of having killed that mulberry tree, and seeing the stump still hemorrhaging sap is not helping). Of course this doesn't bother everyone, as the bird-feeding store owner mentioned I wouldn't like hearing how many of his customers, like a certain crime-fighter who frequents this site, shoot the squirrels with BB guns. I just want them to leave some seed for the birds.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

May 10, 2011, 12:43
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 12:43
May 10, 2011, 12:43

But it's still fun reading about his efforts in the war against squirrels, or (another way) how he's aiding in the evolution / advancement of squirrel brains.

Millennium from now, when Squirrels are the dominant species, they'll have entire museums dedicated to man's "training devices" And they'll probably have a little plaque dedicated to "The Blue One"

I humbly welcome our bushy-tailed overlords.

May 10, 2011, 12:19
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 12:19
May 10, 2011, 12:19

Rockn-Roll wrote on May 10, 2011, 11:15:
Repeat after me, "There is no such thing as a squirrel-proof bird feeder."

This contraption here is pretty close to being squirrel-proof. It's weight sensitive and clamps shut when a squirrel goes on the post.

Once in a blue moon a squirrel will contort themselves into a position where they can get the food, but it's usually by accident.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2011, 15:57.

May 10, 2011, 11:31
nin
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 11:31
May 10, 2011, 11:31
nin

as whenever one managed to thwart my other "squirrel-proof" feeder I would find him latched onto it like a leech, seemingly inhaling seed.

Yeaaaaaaaa!

May 10, 2011, 11:28
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 11:28
May 10, 2011, 11:28

Repeat after me, "There is no such thing as a squirrel-proof bird feeder." I've pencilled into my bird book sightings of the common bushy-tailed flightless bird. It's so common that the other birds just ignore them unless the squirrels start hopping around.

Well, we'll see. This one has a very long and wide cylinder for the seed, and a flat perch on the bottom on a spring that will give out under the weight of a squirrel, so it doesn't seem to offer them any access. It seems pretty fool-proof, but as has been noted, those squirrels are nobody's fools. I'll be happy if it just slows them down, as whenever one managed to thwart my other "squirrel-proof" feeder I would find him latched onto it like a leech, seemingly inhaling seed.

My mother has 3 of the thistle socks (filled with niger/thistle) hanging under a tree which get an average of 30 goldfinches hanging around it all day...it gets kinda noisy with that many. If you have them just outside your window then be prepared to be woken up every morning at the very instant that the sun shows itself.

This feeder is also for niger seed, with openings small enough that they don't pour out, in spite of being so tiny. I'm told the squirrels don't like that seed so much, so hopefully between that and limited access, they'll leave the finch feeder alone, as it has no squirrel defenses at all. As for noise, our yard gets pretty loud all summer, so I don't know this will be an issue, but I guess I won't be able to say for sure until it happens.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

May 10, 2011, 11:22
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 11:22
May 10, 2011, 11:22

Repeat after me, "There is no such thing as a squirrel-proof bird feeder." I've pencilled into my bird book sightings of the common bushy-tailed flightless bird. It's so common that the other birds just ignore them unless the squirrels start hopping around.

Oh I know, and Blue appears to know as well.

But it's still fun reading about his efforts in the war against squirrels, or (another way) how he's aiding in the evolution / advancement of squirrel brains.

Sometimes I get the impression we'll read how they've learned fractal geometry to solve the latest-and-gratest "squirrel proof" feeders.

Millennium from now, when Squirrels are the dominant species, they'll have entire museums dedicated to man's "training devices" And they'll probably have a little plaque dedicated to "The Blue One"

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

May 10, 2011, 11:15
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 11:15
May 10, 2011, 11:15

My mother has 3 of the thistle socks (filled with niger/thistle) hanging under a tree which get an average of 30 goldfinches hanging around it all day...it gets kinda noisy with that many. If you have them just outside your window then be prepared to be woken up every morning at the very instant that the sun shows itself.
Let's Rock!

May 10, 2011, 10:25
nin
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 10:25
May 10, 2011, 10:25
nin

Yeah, fuck the birds! More squirrel updates!

And treedrving! Treediving is good, provided no one is injured!

May 10, 2011, 10:16
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 10:16
May 10, 2011, 10:16

What's the latest on the squirrels? Does your latest specialty-pole do something to prevent them from taking over the feeder?
-Fry, Futurama
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older