Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support

The revolution may not be televised, but the human revolution will be digitized, as Eidos-Montreal announces plans to digitally distribute Deus Ex: Human Revolution through Steam, adding that the action/RPG prequel will support Steamworks features like auto-updating, Steam Achievements and the Steam Cloud upon its release this August. They also announce that in addition to the standard game, Steam will offer an "augmented edition," which will include a digital art book, a "making of" special, trailers, an animated storyboard of the CGI trailer, a motion graphic novel, the soundtrack, and a free download of the Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition. They say prepurchases are now being accepted, though a glance at the Deus Ex: Human Revolution on Steam Page shows this is premature, but when prepurchases are enabled, they will be at a discount for a limited time: The standard game will be $44.99 USD, and the Augmented Edition will be $53.99 USD. Eidos-Montreal also offers a few documents on PC-specific features: This article describes support for AMD Eyefinity, AMD HD3D technology, and DirectX 11, this tech Q&A discusses those elements in more depth, and this internal Q&A explores the challenges of making the Windows version of Human Revolution live up to the PC roots of the Deus Ex series, in spite of being a multiplatform game. Finally, these screenshots offer a couple of shots from the PC edition and one of the game in Eyefinity mode spread across three monitors.
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support
May 6, 2011, 13:23
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 13:23
May 6, 2011, 13:23

Steam just says "2011" for the release date. Has anything more specific been given?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 6, 2011, 13:26
Quboid

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 13:26
May 6, 2011, 13:26
 Quboid

I read somewhere (this article) that it would be August. I presume Blue has a reason for saying this.

May 6, 2011, 13:33
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 13:33
May 6, 2011, 13:33

I also remember reading August somewhere.

May 6, 2011, 13:37
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 13:37
May 6, 2011, 13:37

"upon its release this August."

Looking forward to the game. It looks like they at least tried to stay true to the original in some ways. Though I doubt I'll be buying this 'augmented edition' lol.

May 6, 2011, 13:44
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 13:44
May 6, 2011, 13:44

Suckage wrote on May 6, 2011, 13:33:
I also remember reading August somewhere.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/119481/deus-ex-human-revolution-august-dates-confirmed
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

May 6, 2011, 13:57
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 13:57
May 6, 2011, 13:57

Very happy to see they are redoing the UI for PC and adding much-needed antialiasing. I'm tempted to pre-order just to show appreciation for a well-done port.

May 6, 2011, 14:05
mag
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 14:05
mag

Can they remove the cover system, press-A-to-win situations and the third-person bits from the PC version, too?

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 14:05

Prez wrote on May 6, 2011, 13:23:
Steam just says "2011" for the release date. Has anything more specific been given?
Steam seams to take a long time to update their pages with the exact release date even if the information is out there.

Steam did not say Witcher 2 would be out on the 17th till only a week or so ago tho the release date has been known since like Jan.

Ill prolly get this one on Steam being that the physical version has like nothing special in it, unlike Witcher 2.

And because im on a Witcher 2 kick... looks like DX3 will at least properly support 16:10 on launch.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2011, 14:11.

May 6, 2011, 14:15
DG
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 14:15
May 6, 2011, 14:15
DG

- UI designed for PC, check
- Controls revamp for M+KB, check
- Utilising current PC graphics, check
- Sophisticated gameplay... claimed, but TBD

Hmm, they're at least talking-the-talk for a good multi-platform.

- Pre-order benefits not being game content, check
- Steam distribution, check
- Not a buggy POS... TBD

Looking positive.

Very wary of cover system though. I'm sure I recall seeing one done very well but generally I hate it.

Undecided whether to go for the 10% pre-order discount or wait until some people have played it. I guess verdict might be difficult to gauge as I may well enjoy a game despite lots of negativity simply due to it not being true to a rose-tinted memory of DX.

May 6, 2011, 14:25
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 14:25
May 6, 2011, 14:25

Pre-order benefits not being game content, check

Sadly, that part's untrue. There are pre-order weapons and even a mission if you pre-order from Gamestop, I believe.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support
May 6, 2011, 14:43
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 14:43
May 6, 2011, 14:43

45 bucks? SWEET. It's getting better by the day.

/Fuck all publishers with their 5 hour, 60 dollar games.

Creston

May 6, 2011, 15:43
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 15:43
May 6, 2011, 15:43

I don't care about the buzzword mapping and hypillation, half the textures just look terrible. I mean those enemies could be straight from a 2004 game. Not even Mass Effect had textures this low res and washed out.

May 6, 2011, 15:47
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 15:47
May 6, 2011, 15:47

Looking forward to this. Dare I hope it will be as good as the original Deus Ex?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 6, 2011, 16:05
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 16:05
May 6, 2011, 16:05

I hope I'm not the only one with alarm bells going off here... When a developer / publisher uses this strategy of selling people on the success of the first game to sell the second its a huge risk to buy this at launch, even more so before launch as with steam.

This situation is all too common though and I think its a major reason big budget games are not designed for the pc first anymore. I'm getting this on the console for $3 and I can trade it if I don't like it. By comparison the pc copy will cost you approx $45 to play and you get screwed if it turns out to suck? It's shocking to me there is not a time trial option on all pc games with this much drm. Why on earth are there so many ppl willing to pay so much for this? I guess I'm not alone buying a lot of games on consoles instead of the pc but with how much drm comes strapped to new pc games why in the heck do they not offer trials of the full product. Not demos, the full thing for a period of time where u can either get your money back minus a small fee or just let ppl load and play the game and if they want to keep playing you have to pay.

May 6, 2011, 16:07
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 16:07
May 6, 2011, 16:07

Prez wrote on May 6, 2011, 15:47:
Looking forward to this. Dare I hope it will be as good as the original Deus Ex?

I don't know about that, but I like what I've seen so far.
"If taking drugs is uncool then I'm the most uncool motherfucker on the entire planet."

May 6, 2011, 16:42
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 16:42
May 6, 2011, 16:42

No such thing as a good cover system, they were designed for console games since they can't aim worth a damn.
A truck is not a speech.A horn is not a voice.Occupation is not a protest.A blockade is not freedom,it blocks the liberty of all.
A demand to overthrow a government is not a dialogue.Expression of hate is not a difference of opinion.A lie is not the truth

May 6, 2011, 16:46
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 16:46
May 6, 2011, 16:46

I'm getting this on the console for $3 and I can trade it if I don't like it. By comparison the pc copy will cost you approx $45 to play and you get screwed if it turns out to suck?

You use this argument all the time and it's still invalid. You can't compare the price of a used console game with the price of a new PC copy. Obviously the used game will be cheaper. By your logic, I can compare the pirated PC price ($0) with the used console price and argue that the PC version is obviously the better deal.

Why on earth are there so many ppl willing to pay so much for this?

Because we feel the experience is worth the money? I don't judge the value of games based on how much I can sell them for. I judge them for the quality of the experience.

May 6, 2011, 16:47
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 16:47
May 6, 2011, 16:47

PCGamer has just released an article on how the PC version 'feels'.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/06/how-deus-ex-human-revolution-feels-on-pc/

It's sounding good but needs work yet for our PC platform.

Mouse movement
Feels a little off right now: the horizontal sensitivity is way higher than the vertical sensitivity, and there isn’t an option to adjust them individually. This may be because, as the saying goes, Console Gamers Can’t Look Up. Personally I got used to this after about half an hour so it’s not a persistent problem, and it seems like the kind of thing they’re bound to tweak. Other than that, the responsiveness is good and it doesn’t have that treacly sluggishness that some console ports do.

May 6, 2011, 16:48
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 16:48
May 6, 2011, 16:48

The revolution will not be right back after a message
about a white tornado, white lightning, or white people.
You will not have to worry about a dove in your
bedroom, a tiger in your tank, or the giant in your toilet bowl.
The revolution will not go better with Coke.
The revolution will not fight the germs that may cause bad breath.
The revolution will put you in the driver's seat.
"I like my coffee like I like my women. Black, with a side of prune danish." - Gilbert Gottfried

May 6, 2011, 17:13
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 17:13
May 6, 2011, 17:13

You use this argument all the time and it's still invalid. You can't compare the price of a used console game with the price of a new PC copy. Obviously the used game will be cheaper. By your logic, I can compare the pirated PC price ($0) with the used console price and argue that the PC version is obviously the better deal.

Even comparing full retail price of a console game, $59.99, against the pre-order price of the PC game, you still come out way ahead paying for the console version. I bargain hunt and get the best price. But you still end up with a $45 PC game if you like it or not where on the console side if you don't like the game you end up with $30 back in your pocket at very least. Net cost cost $30 at worst for new console games. That is a 33% savings on the cost of individual games compared to the pc. (pre order discount pricing BEST CASE) It can easily go past 50% of pc games when you consider in store credits from amazon and retailer discounts and pc games that cost $59.99.

Piracy is a different issue altogether and your next comment "because we feel the experience is worth the money" doesn't apply to people who pay before they have the experience. People who buy pc games don't know what the experience is and are faced with a choice, is it worth the price to find out what the experience is? Same is true with console buyers, is it worth the money? The cost just ends up with wildly different for basically the same game. I don't get it. "PC Gamers" whatever that means now...apparently don't mind. I wish they would because I did like playing games on the pc when they weren't so expensive and didn't make you research drm nonsense before a purchase.

World of tanks is a fantastic game for the PC. totally free to download and play, and you can buy gold if you want to unlock certain things or just boost the xp you get as you play. No risk to the consumer, you don't like it you just move on. I want more games like this.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2011, 17:18.
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer