Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support

The revolution may not be televised, but the human revolution will be digitized, as Eidos-Montreal announces plans to digitally distribute Deus Ex: Human Revolution through Steam, adding that the action/RPG prequel will support Steamworks features like auto-updating, Steam Achievements and the Steam Cloud upon its release this August. They also announce that in addition to the standard game, Steam will offer an "augmented edition," which will include a digital art book, a "making of" special, trailers, an animated storyboard of the CGI trailer, a motion graphic novel, the soundtrack, and a free download of the Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition. They say prepurchases are now being accepted, though a glance at the Deus Ex: Human Revolution on Steam Page shows this is premature, but when prepurchases are enabled, they will be at a discount for a limited time: The standard game will be $44.99 USD, and the Augmented Edition will be $53.99 USD. Eidos-Montreal also offers a few documents on PC-specific features: This article describes support for AMD Eyefinity, AMD HD3D technology, and DirectX 11, this tech Q&A discusses those elements in more depth, and this internal Q&A explores the challenges of making the Windows version of Human Revolution live up to the PC roots of the Deus Ex series, in spite of being a multiplatform game. Finally, these screenshots offer a couple of shots from the PC edition and one of the game in Eyefinity mode spread across three monitors.
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support
May 7, 2011, 18:33
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 7, 2011, 18:33
May 7, 2011, 18:33

Wow Creston,no Activision in there?

In any case, there didn't used to be a need for 'customer service' of that level. Demos were used to showcase games.

Nowadays, you're lucky to find a demo on most games.

As to Tumbler's comments: I just came to the realization(which should be pretty obvious to anyone caring to look), that PC gamers are second class citizens when it comes to gaming. Game companies aren't looking to cater to us because their main audience is consoles.

I don't see that ever changing. There simply aren't more of us than there are console players. I've accepted that and learned to adjust my buying habits accordingly.

It's not that much of an inconvenience. I like gaming and I don't mind researching my games before I buy them. If you want the kind of treatment you're talking about from developers...then I suggest you stick to indie devs and put your support there.

May 7, 2011, 15:23
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 7, 2011, 15:23
May 7, 2011, 15:23

Tumbler wrote on May 6, 2011, 21:46:
The pc gaming community would be a hell of a lot better off if a service like steam or any of the online dist services offered free trials of virtually any game you want. Have it limited for each account, IE I can load and play Half Life 3 (for example) 1 time and play for an hour or 2 hours or whatever. If I like it I then press the activate (purchase button). This is more realistic for online purchases, retail returns come with all sorts of other issues but I'm sure they could figure something out.

WHAT?? That sounds suspiciously like... CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! The gaming industry will never do that, that's crazy! (how would they sell you their mountains of shovelware / shitware if you could try it out first? You could see that it sucked, and wouldn't buy it.)

No industry has worse customer service than the gaming industry. I wonder why Comcast keeps winning "worst corporation in the US" year after year, when EA easily shits on its customers ten times worse than Comcast can ever even dream about.

Creston

May 6, 2011, 21:46
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 21:46
May 6, 2011, 21:46

I never do day 1 purchases. I wait for reviews and more importantly I use sites like Blues to distill what a game is like before I just jump in and buy it.

That's an interesting comment. You realize you're being ultra careful buying game because you don't want to risk buying something you don't like? (what it sounds like to me anyway) With current DRM on most PC games what would be the harm of companies offering a trial of the game after you install, it's not activated at that point but it's online drm like we see in Assassin's Creed 2 and after an hour it says would you like to activate? (aka keep playing?)

You could easily try whatever game you wanted and you wouldn't have to read reviews and study user comments, you could just see for yourself. This is what i'm advocating for pc gaming. For the moment this isn't possible so my comments point at things I currently do to try games that I'm probably not going to like with little to no risk. I like playing games, I don't like feeling ripped off. Your own habits seem to indicate you feel the same way.

The pc gaming community would be a hell of a lot better off if a service like steam or any of the online dist services offered free trials of virtually any game you want. Have it limited for each account, IE I can load and play Half Life 3 (for example) 1 time and play for an hour or 2 hours or whatever. If I like it I then press the activate (purchase button). This is more realistic for online purchases, retail returns come with all sorts of other issues but I'm sure they could figure something out.

May 6, 2011, 21:11
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 21:11
May 6, 2011, 21:11

Tumbler wrote on May 6, 2011, 20:11:
Is shilling for this goozex.com site literally all you post about anymore? Confused

Creston

Get your games where ever you like, I prefer that site in many cases, amazon in many others. Ignore the fact that I'm selling my games, the core issue is one of value to your consumer. If someone (developer/publisher) sells a game and the consumer is happy there is no issue. However I hear plenty of ppl complain about buying games that turn out to be shit. I don't think it's right, nor sustainable, to treat your consumer like they owe you something when they are unhappy with your product. The pc gaming community would be a much better, and more successful, if they had a standard of returns on software like steam purchases and such. (3 hour time trial or something similar) The DRM that so many games ship with could be used to offer a safer place to spend money for consumers but instead it's exactly the opposite, it's more dangerous than ever to spend money on pc software because if you're unhappy you're SOL.

That's so much crap. Unless you're a 'gotta have it right now' type of person, there is no way you need to make an uninformed decision about buying a game.

I never do day 1 purchases. I wait for reviews and more importantly I use sites like Blues to distill what a game is like before I just jump in and buy it.

I can't remember the last time I bought a game that I hated or was so disappointed with that I wanted to sell it.

Furthermore...buying a game on release often leaves you waiting for patches and any number of fixes/additions that you could just as easily wait a month or two and get with your better-informed purchase.

The PC community isn't suffering due to the lack of returnable game purchase options. If anything, it's suffering due to lack of better overall support for PC games.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support
May 6, 2011, 21:05
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 21:05
May 6, 2011, 21:05

Wildone wrote on May 6, 2011, 20:08:
PC gamer preview didn't inspire much hope. Blurry textures and the feel of the mouse is just like a joypad controller wtf..Im sure it runs a lot deeper too, this is a console kiddies title thru & thru..

that scares me. But I figured anyone who is banking in on the Deus Ex Games is always ALWAYS tugging on the nostalgia cord of the first game to even get you to care.

Fucking dispicible to take another teams visionary game and use that to sell your run of the mill crap.

May 6, 2011, 20:16
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 20:16
May 6, 2011, 20:16

At this point, I'm confident enough to pre-order.

I just bought an Xbox 360 because I want to play L.A. Noire badly enough. But I resent having to buy and play on a console instead of playing on my platform of choice, the PC.

Support the PC. Eidos Montreal has my money.

May 6, 2011, 20:11
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 20:11
May 6, 2011, 20:11

Is shilling for this goozex.com site literally all you post about anymore? Confused

Creston

Get your games where ever you like, I prefer that site in many cases, amazon in many others. Ignore the fact that I'm selling my games, the core issue is one of value to your consumer. If someone (developer/publisher) sells a game and the consumer is happy there is no issue. However I hear plenty of ppl complain about buying games that turn out to be shit. I don't think it's right, nor sustainable, to treat your consumer like they owe you something when they are unhappy with your product. The pc gaming community would be a much better, and more successful, if they had a standard of returns on software like steam purchases and such. (3 hour time trial or something similar) The DRM that so many games ship with could be used to offer a safer place to spend money for consumers but instead it's exactly the opposite, it's more dangerous than ever to spend money on pc software because if you're unhappy you're SOL.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support
May 6, 2011, 20:08
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 20:08
May 6, 2011, 20:08

PC gamer preview didn't inspire much hope. Blurry textures and the feel of the mouse is just like a joypad controller wtf..Im sure it runs a lot deeper too, this is a console kiddies title thru & thru..

May 6, 2011, 19:25
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 19:25
May 6, 2011, 19:25

Is shilling for this goozex.com site literally all you post about anymore?

I know, but Jerykk posting

I'm tempted to pre-order just to show appreciation for a well-done port.

was more shocking! Shocked (He is the great preacher of try before you buy!)

May 6, 2011, 18:27
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 18:27
May 6, 2011, 18:27

Tumbler wrote on May 6, 2011, 17:13:
You use this argument all the time and it's still invalid. You can't compare the price of a used console game with the price of a new PC copy. Obviously the used game will be cheaper. By your logic, I can compare the pirated PC price ($0) with the used console price and argue that the PC version is obviously the better deal.

Even comparing full retail price of a console game, $59.99, against the pre-order price of the PC game, you still come out way ahead paying for the console version. I bargain hunt and get the best price. But you still end up with a $45 PC game if you like it or not where on the console side if you don't like the game you end up with $30 back in your pocket at very least. Net cost cost $30 at worst for new console games. That is a 33% savings on the cost of individual games compared to the pc. (pre order discount pricing BEST CASE) It can easily go past 50% of pc games when you consider in store credits from amazon and retailer discounts and pc games that cost $59.99.

Creston

May 6, 2011, 18:23
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 18:23
May 6, 2011, 18:23

Why with the Brown everywhere!!? I liked the color variety in the first game. Or in anything Color palette change ever!?

I can't stand how all their indoor environments just all seem to follow every other games look with the bulky trim and clean-cut floors.
I know its the future, but I don't think that means it will be super clean.. politically or visibly.

May 6, 2011, 18:13
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 18:13
May 6, 2011, 18:13

Even comparing full retail price of a console game, $59.99, against the pre-order price of the PC game, you still come out way ahead paying for the console version.

So buy the console version then. Many of us don't care about game resale. Judging by your signature you do but PC resale hasn't been alive for a long time now. If you want to resell your games you do it on Ebay or via forums. It isn't going to change, if anything the consoles seem to be changing more in the direction of the PC with their own digital marketplaces controlled by a single source.

May 6, 2011, 17:26
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 17:26
May 6, 2011, 17:26

But you still end up with a $45 PC game if you like it or not where on the console side if you don't like the game you end up with $30 back in your pocket at very least.

Again, you are judging value based on how much you can sell the game for. Not everyone does that. I don't resell games. The only reason I buy games is to support the developers who make the games I enjoy.

Piracy is a different issue altogether and your next comment "because we feel the experience is worth the money" doesn't apply to people who pay before they have the experience.

Can't argue with you there. I play my games before I buy them but I understand that there are those who don't. Of course, I don't really understand their logic. Downloading a pirated game doesn't stop you from buying it if you enjoy it.

May 6, 2011, 17:24
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 17:24
May 6, 2011, 17:24

I'm going to assume it's poo until proven otherwise.
It's almost part of the system requirements that reboots suck ass.

May 6, 2011, 17:13
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 17:13
May 6, 2011, 17:13

You use this argument all the time and it's still invalid. You can't compare the price of a used console game with the price of a new PC copy. Obviously the used game will be cheaper. By your logic, I can compare the pirated PC price ($0) with the used console price and argue that the PC version is obviously the better deal.

Even comparing full retail price of a console game, $59.99, against the pre-order price of the PC game, you still come out way ahead paying for the console version. I bargain hunt and get the best price. But you still end up with a $45 PC game if you like it or not where on the console side if you don't like the game you end up with $30 back in your pocket at very least. Net cost cost $30 at worst for new console games. That is a 33% savings on the cost of individual games compared to the pc. (pre order discount pricing BEST CASE) It can easily go past 50% of pc games when you consider in store credits from amazon and retailer discounts and pc games that cost $59.99.

Piracy is a different issue altogether and your next comment "because we feel the experience is worth the money" doesn't apply to people who pay before they have the experience. People who buy pc games don't know what the experience is and are faced with a choice, is it worth the price to find out what the experience is? Same is true with console buyers, is it worth the money? The cost just ends up with wildly different for basically the same game. I don't get it. "PC Gamers" whatever that means now...apparently don't mind. I wish they would because I did like playing games on the pc when they weren't so expensive and didn't make you research drm nonsense before a purchase.

World of tanks is a fantastic game for the PC. totally free to download and play, and you can buy gold if you want to unlock certain things or just boost the xp you get as you play. No risk to the consumer, you don't like it you just move on. I want more games like this.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2011, 17:18.

May 6, 2011, 16:48
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 16:48
May 6, 2011, 16:48

The revolution will not be right back after a message
about a white tornado, white lightning, or white people.
You will not have to worry about a dove in your
bedroom, a tiger in your tank, or the giant in your toilet bowl.
The revolution will not go better with Coke.
The revolution will not fight the germs that may cause bad breath.
The revolution will put you in the driver's seat.
"I like my coffee like I like my women. Black, with a side of prune danish." - Gilbert Gottfried

May 6, 2011, 16:47
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 16:47
May 6, 2011, 16:47

PCGamer has just released an article on how the PC version 'feels'.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/06/how-deus-ex-human-revolution-feels-on-pc/

It's sounding good but needs work yet for our PC platform.

Mouse movement
Feels a little off right now: the horizontal sensitivity is way higher than the vertical sensitivity, and there isn’t an option to adjust them individually. This may be because, as the saying goes, Console Gamers Can’t Look Up. Personally I got used to this after about half an hour so it’s not a persistent problem, and it seems like the kind of thing they’re bound to tweak. Other than that, the responsiveness is good and it doesn’t have that treacly sluggishness that some console ports do.

May 6, 2011, 16:46
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 16:46
May 6, 2011, 16:46

I'm getting this on the console for $3 and I can trade it if I don't like it. By comparison the pc copy will cost you approx $45 to play and you get screwed if it turns out to suck?

Why on earth are there so many ppl willing to pay so much for this?

Because we feel the experience is worth the money? I don't judge the value of games based on how much I can sell them for. I judge them for the quality of the experience.

May 6, 2011, 16:42
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 16:42
May 6, 2011, 16:42

No such thing as a good cover system, they were designed for console games since they can't aim worth a damn.
A truck is not a speech.A horn is not a voice.Occupation is not a protest.A blockade is not freedom,it blocks the liberty of all.
A demand to overthrow a government is not a dialogue.Expression of hate is not a difference of opinion.A lie is not the truth

May 6, 2011, 16:07
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support May 6, 2011, 16:07
May 6, 2011, 16:07

Prez wrote on May 6, 2011, 15:47:
Looking forward to this. Dare I hope it will be as good as the original Deus Ex?

I don't know about that, but I like what I've seen so far.
"If taking drugs is uncool then I'm the most uncool motherfucker on the entire planet."
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older