Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Mass Effect 3 Details, Movie Plans

May Cover Revealed on GameInformer.com highlights their cover story on Mass Effect 3, BioWare's upcoming shooter/RPG sequel. There's a concise write-up about the preview on NeoGAF (thanks Eurogamer), offering some spoilerish details, with word on characters that will return, an upgraded RPG system, weapons mods, and alternative endings. They also confirm that, like its predecessors, Mass Effect 3 will offer no multiplayer support. On a related note, IGN has word on plans for an anime movie based on Mass Effect: "Over the last few years, we have revealed different pieces of the Mass Effect world through different media. Extending the story through an anime medium is another amazing opportunity for us," said Casey Hudson, Executive Producer for the Mass Effect series. "Partnering with FUNimation ensures that we will bring this rich universe to life with the utmost quality and the same attention to detail that the Mass Effect games are known for."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details, Movie Plans Apr 9, 2011, 08:02 Wetworks

Hopefully in ME3 you'll have your party from the start. I can't be bothered playing another ME where I'm forced to spend 3/4 of the game gathering my allies and doing all their loyalty quests. It's silly to devote only 1/4 of the game to advance the plot in any meaningful way.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details, Movie Plans Apr 8, 2011, 20:11 Hump

Glad they are avoiding the pressure to put in some kind of multiplayer. Mass Effect is a glorious single player game/series and should remain that way. MP would just take time away from making a great single player campaign.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

27. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 15:55 DarkCntry

entr0py wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 15:30:
DarkCntry wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 13:06:
Tumbler wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 12:53:
I really want MP ME.

Yea, people said the same thing about the coolness of Bioshock's plasmids and how MP would be 'nifty'...how'd that work out with Bioshock 2?

It may have been nifty if Irrational Games had made it. More likely they made completely the right choice by not including it in Bioshock.

Ken Levine seems to have completely the right attitude about multiplayer. To leave it out unless they can come up with something very unique and interesting; not just deathmatch with plasmids. http://www.1up.com/news/irrational-games-undecided-multiplayer-bioshock

I think Bioware also understands that their greatest strength is story telling. And it's not in their interest to get into the oversaturated online shooter market unless they come up with a novel sort of MP.

I forgot the sarcasm tags, I'm sorry....

26. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 15:53 DG

cheers  

25. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 15:42 Creston

DG wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 15:26:
Just wondering, having done ME2 and all but the new DLC, how does another run through go? I see their FAQ but it's kinda missing the detail if I want to change things up a bit.

I.e. do I "lose" the first run? I was a bit completionist, and unlikely to be on 2nd run, so wouldn't want to lose the 1st run choices for the ME3 save import.

Can I change char to femshep?

If I go all Renegade this time, would ME3 import treat my char as renegade, paragon or both?

A New Game+ is treated as a new game, except that you retain your level (very likely to be 30) and the powers you've chosen. All enemies are scaled to level 30 as well, which makes the initial missions MUCH harder (because you don't have your upgrades anymore, you need to rebuy/research those, so you're relatively underpowered vs lvl 30 enemies, since the game figures you to have the upgrades once you reach 30).

Everything else is completely new. You can't change to femshep with that character. It's a male, he's not going to turn into a female all of a sudden.

As for importing into ME3, your NG+ will be saved separately. So if you'd rather import your character when you were Paragon and did a complete run, you can easily do so.

All in all, to be honest, there isn't much to recommend in a NG+, unless you find Insanity way too easy. (Insanity on NG+ is just plain brutal at the start.) Also, since you already are level 30, what little character building and growth there is in ME2 is taken away.

But, to each their own. You don't have to worry about not having your old playthrough available, it will be separate from the NG+ playthrough.

Creston

24. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 15:35 Suddenly_Dead

DG wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 15:26:
Just wondering, having done ME2 and all but the new DLC, how does another run through go? I see their FAQ but it's kinda missing the detail if I want to change things up a bit.

I.e. do I "lose" the first run? I was a bit completionist, and unlikely to be on 2nd run, so wouldn't want to lose the 1st run choices for the ME3 save import.

If I go all Renegade this time, would ME3 import treat my char as renegade, paragon or both?

From ME1 to ME2:

- you can choose whichever career you want to import
- paragon/renegade didn't carry over. Your actions did.
- no gender reassignments

You can start an additional career on ME2 without impacting your earlier one; just don't delete the old saves and you'll be good.

23. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 15:30 entr0py

I really want MP ME.

Yea, people said the same thing about the coolness of Bioshock's plasmids and how MP would be 'nifty'...how'd that work out with Bioshock 2?

It may have been nifty if Irrational Games had made it. More likely they made completely the right choice by not including it in Bioshock.

Ken Levine seems to have completely the right attitude about multiplayer. To leave it out unless they can come up with something very unique and interesting; not just deathmatch with plasmids. http://www.1up.com/news/irrational-games-undecided-multiplayer-bioshock

I think Bioware also understands that their greatest strength is story telling. And it's not in their interest to get into the oversaturated online shooter market unless they come up with a novel sort of MP.

22. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 15:26 DG

21. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 14:36 Tumbler

Fortunately, they're making you wait for future games for it, and will actually finish the original trilogy the way it's supposed to.

If they create a spinoff type game like AC Brotherhood I'll be very happy! If ME3 just sticks with what works then I'm sure it will be fine...but seeing DA2 makes me nervous...the first game worked fine and they didn't stay faithful to that...

20. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details, Movie Plans Apr 8, 2011, 13:42 Suddenly_Dead

Future games in the Mass Effect Universe might be cool. I don't see how MP could have any part in the current trilogy though.  

19. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 13:32 Creston

In the SP you can take a missile to the face and keep going.

You might want to take the difficulty off "Normal."

I really want MP ME.

Fortunately, they're making you wait for future games for it, and will actually finish the original trilogy the way it's supposed to.

Creston

18. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 13:23 Mashiki Amiketo

I think you're looking for a piss sandwhich on that one.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 13:06 DarkCntry

I really want MP ME.

16. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 12:53 Tumbler

I don't really see how this game begs for co-op at all. It's a relatively linear, story-driven series that focuses on one protagonist. It would be pretty awkward if Shepherd's sibling or cousin were arbitrarily thrown in just for the sake of co-op.

They're trying this in SW TOR, you might refer to those clips if you want to judge how Co-Op would work in ME3. It's odd in the clips for the MMO, I imagine it'd be similar in ME3...

I do wish they'd have competitive multiplayer in the game, even if it's horribly imbalanced thanx to how bad ass your character can get it would still be fun to lift and slam your friend down like we do a million ai controlled robots during the game. It would also be interesting to see some worthy opponents for a change in combat. Watching those Let's Play clips of the DLC reminded me how routine to combat gets in the game. I'd like to see combat where I have a real danger of dieing. In the SP you can take a missile to the face and keep going.

I really want MP ME.

15. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 12:37 Suddenly_Dead

I watched Moon a week ago. Clint Mansell is the man, I'm excited for the game's soundtrack.

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 10:52:
I like male better for Paragon, but whenever I go renegade, femshep is absolutely the way to go. Jennifer Hale is FANTASTIC with the renegade stuff.

Creston

Oh hell yes. Female is much better for renegade. I can tolerate paragon male shep, but I weakly prefer femshep there too.

14. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 12:23 Jerykk

Disappointing still no Co-Op MP. This game is begging for something along the lines of Borderlands.

I don't really see how this game begs for co-op at all. It's a relatively linear, story-driven series that focuses on one protagonist. It would be pretty awkward if Shepherd's sibling or cousin were arbitrarily thrown in just for the sake of co-op.

13. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 12:20 Eldaron Imotholin

WyldKat wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 10:37:
Disappointing still no Co-Op MP. This game is begging for something along the lines of Borderlands.

Wait what really!?!

First of all: If there's anything ME does NOT need, it's MP.
Second: Mass Effect............ Borderlands......... It's like comparing a car with a cat.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

12. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details, Movie Plans Apr 8, 2011, 11:33 Verno

Co-op would just be clunky and weird in this game. I can't see a Borderlands style thing happening, the games environments are far too small for it. Better to make another MP game from the ground up and not mess with a good formula.  

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

11. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 11:24 Pete

Disappointing still no Co-Op MP. This game is begging for something along the lines of Borderlands. As for dialogue, if they have group dialogue figured out in TOR they can do it in Mass Effect.

This game doesn't need multiplayer. Besides no one is gonna steal my universe saving glory from me!

Doin' it Big

10. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 10:56 Verno

Hale evokes an actual range whereas Mark Meer is just serviceable. I don't typically do the weirdo female avatar thing but femshep is fantastic. Hale really transforms a lot of the dialogue portions that you might normally gloss over into something interesting.

Anyway its nice to see them focused on putting some focus back on elements of the gameplay they had previously scaled back way too much on.

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo