Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the10 bestselling games on Steam for the week:

1. Total War: SHOGUN 2
  2. Dragon Age II
  3. Portal 2
  4. Assassinís Creed Brotherhood
  5. Crysis 2
  6. Darksiders
  7. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution
  8. Magicka
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  10. Napoleon: Total War Imperial Edition
View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 21, 2011, 22:40 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 10:18:
According to a senior designer at Bioware the sales were 85% of DA:O's first week sales which is a good sign as I expect they will plummet as word of mouth does it thing about the games unsatisfying and repetitive nature. I doubt it will make DA:O's lifetime sales figures or even close for that matter.

Wow surprisingly good news.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 21, 2011, 12:14 Pippiwolf

Played the demo and it was definately more fun than napoleon. Somebody tried the sea battles already. Are the any good?  

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 21, 2011, 12:04 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 20, 2011, 21:05:
Well the game has gotten a lot less complex thankfully i have to add.
Basically its fairly easy and smooth to play (its however, not easy to win).

You got 3 kind of agents at the beginning "Matsuke" (sort of a secret Police who can bribe/counter-spy and remove hostile agents)

The 2nd one are the assassins and Geishas (get those later) (both do the same thing with 1 difference, Geishas are always visible (more expensive) and get "easier" kills, while assassins are hidden and can also sabotage things, open castle gates, stop armies in their tracks (poision supplies)

The 3rd are the Monks - Monks are awesome, every army should have one. Why? Because monks do - Inspire the army = +Moral - monks can also convert hostile agents and incite rebellions. Also now if you have an agent in an army stack it actually does something. In Armies you get WAY better view range - monks inspire and metsuke make you (more or less) immune to agent attacks of all kinds.

Also family and such is much better to manage. You can level up your generals and agents and give them more chance for success.

There is still revolts but they no longer come from squalor. So the revolt mechanic is more in-line with food supply and religion. (Also now you have a global food supply if that is in the positives you get MASSIVE bonus. Its not always the best choice to upgrade castles as they require more food. While more food globally gives you global economic benefits.

There are some mods on twcenter which imo are needed (more moral / no campaignAI spawns of doom / slower walk speed for foot infantry)

Generally the SP game has gotten WAY better. But there is still some complexity to it. Its definitely closer to Shogun roots than any other Total War. Only downside i'd have to add is that the graphics are really ugly. Since until they patch it in you have no AA and no DX10 or DX11 features.

Thanks for the review.

Creston

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 21, 2011, 10:18 Verno

According to a senior designer at Bioware the sales were 85% of DA:O's first week sales which is a good sign as I expect they will plummet as word of mouth does it thing about the games unsatisfying and repetitive nature. I doubt it will make DA:O's lifetime sales figures or even close for that matter.  

Playing: Hades, Beat Saber, Control
Watching: Uncut Gems, The Good Place, The Office

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 21, 2011, 04:35 Dmitri_M

Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2011, 18:45:
but I've been waiting for one that sorta goes back to the Shogun roots.

I loved the original Shogun.

I only very briefly tried Medieval, or was it Rome? Can't recall. Didn't like it.

Either way I haven't played any of the Total War titles since Shogun 1, yet I'm really enjoying Shogun 2. It does not feel overly complicated, I'm getting the same "feel" I did with the first title.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 21, 2011, 02:53 entr0py

Jerykk wrote on Mar 20, 2011, 19:53:
I hope Dragon Age 2 doesn't stay in the top 10 for long. If it outsells the original game, then I'd expect DA3 to be just as underwhelming as DA2.

I really suspect that sales of a game in a series owe at least as much to the quality of the previous game than reviews of the current one. Hopefully EA and Bioware understand this; so they have good reason to care about not just sales, but customer satisfaction after the sale is made.

I do think DA2 was a good game (I'm nearing the end), but it wasn't up to what you expect from Bioware. Corner cutting lets you cash in on a game quicker, but it's no way to make loyal fans.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 21, 2011, 01:20 eRe4s3r

You can actually win a short campaign within 8 hours though - if you play one of the western clans and auto-resolve everything where your "delicate touch" is not needed (or where you play worse than auto-resolve). The eastern clans are MUCH MUCH harder though.

I have no idea how anyone is supposed to win a domination or large campaign though - by the 25 region mark you get the "split" where everyone goes apeshit insane and attacks you outright and worse, ally with each other. Something you can barely prevent as Shimazu clan for example, by holding certain chockepoints and bridges around kyoto.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 20, 2011, 22:15 Suddenly_Dead

D4rkKnight wrote on Mar 20, 2011, 21:52:
I wouldn't say its less complex, just better organized. They achieved that with Empire/Napolean and it carries over here.

Yeah, I only really managed to get into the series with Empire. In previous titles the fighting was always fun, but the World map got to be overwhelming. And me, I like 4X and 4Xish games.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 20, 2011, 21:52 D4rkKnight

I wouldn't say its less complex, just better organized. They achieved that with Empire/Napolean and it carries over here.

It certainly hasn't gotten any shorter though, you can finish a game in 6 hours if you lose at the 6 hour mark

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 20, 2011, 21:05 eRe4s3r

Well the game has gotten a lot less complex thankfully i have to add.
Basically its fairly easy and smooth to play (its however, not easy to win).

You got 3 kind of agents at the beginning "Matsuke" (sort of a secret Police who can bribe/counter-spy and remove hostile agents)

The 2nd one are the assassins and Geishas (get those later) (both do the same thing with 1 difference, Geishas are always visible (more expensive) and get "easier" kills, while assassins are hidden and can also sabotage things, open castle gates, stop armies in their tracks (poision supplies)

The 3rd are the Monks - Monks are awesome, every army should have one. Why? Because monks do - Inspire the army = +Moral - monks can also convert hostile agents and incite rebellions. Also now if you have an agent in an army stack it actually does something. In Armies you get WAY better view range - monks inspire and metsuke make you (more or less) immune to agent attacks of all kinds.

Also family and such is much better to manage. You can level up your generals and agents and give them more chance for success.

There is still revolts but they no longer come from squalor. So the revolt mechanic is more in-line with food supply and religion. (Also now you have a global food supply if that is in the positives you get MASSIVE bonus. Its not always the best choice to upgrade castles as they require more food. While more food globally gives you global economic benefits.

There are some mods on twcenter which imo are needed (more moral / no campaignAI spawns of doom / slower walk speed for foot infantry)

Generally the SP game has gotten WAY better. But there is still some complexity to it. Its definitely closer to Shogun roots than any other Total War. Only downside i'd have to add is that the graphics are really ugly. Since until they patch it in you have no AA and no DX10 or DX11 features.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 20, 2011, 19:53 Jerykk

I hope Dragon Age 2 doesn't stay in the top 10 for long. If it outsells the original game, then I'd expect DA3 to be just as underwhelming as DA2.  

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 20, 2011, 19:53 Starang

Enjoying Shogun 2 a lot, not regretting buying it like I did with Empire.  

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 20, 2011, 18:56 Caladell

I feel the same way about the TW games. I have Rome, Medieval, and the first Shogun, but they're a bit much. Which is why I was wondering about King Arthur. Seems like the same type of game, but maybe not as much micro-managing. On sale on Impulse right now for 3 bucks. Maybe I'll just pick it up anyway.  

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 20, 2011, 18:45 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 20, 2011, 17:31:
If you get Shogun 2 let it be known that MP is currently more or less completely broken. Only SP works right.

That sounds like Creative Assembly, alright... Has someone played the SP? Has it gotten a little easier (to manage) than the last couple of games? Can you now bang a game out in say, six hours or so?

I'd love to pick up another Total War, but they seem to get more and more complicated and eventually I just can't be bothered to have to manage 5000 different things. Spies, counterspies, missionaries, embassadors, revolts, squalor yadda yadda yadda yadda. Too much for me. I understand that tons of people love the complexity of the TW series, but I've been waiting for one that sorta goes back to the Shogun roots.

Anyone? Bueller?

Creston

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 20, 2011, 17:31 eRe4s3r

If you get Shogun 2 let it be known that MP is currently more or less completely broken. Only SP works right.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >