Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

THQ Stock Drops

Gamasutra reports that THQ's stock price plunged about 25% today, though they add that "a small portion of that decrease has been reversed in after hour trading as of this writing." They speculate this may be due in part to reviews for Homefront, as Metacritic shows the just-released first-person shooter as having scores of 74 (mixed or average) on PC, 72 (mediocre) on Xbox 360, and 76 (generally favorable) on PlayStation3. They note a couple of other factors that may play into this are disappointing sales of the Wii-based uDraw tablet and platformer De Blob 2. Thanks Joao.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 16, 2011, 03:59 Jerykk

Do you have any sources for that info? Nothing I've seen or read has indicated that DE was responsible for the multiplayer component.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 16, 2011, 02:32 DangerDog

Jerykk wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 02:08:
Digital Extremes was in charge of the PC port, not multiplayer.

Actually, all of it.

Today THQ announced that the PC version of Homefront from Kaos Studios will be developed for the platform by Digital Extremes.

“Digital Extremes has a superb track record in PC development,” said David Votypka,GM at Kaos Studios, THQ. “While the team here at Kaos is completely focused on the core Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Homefront, our partnership with Digital Extremes means that PC gamers can look forward to a version of the game tailored to the demands of the discerning PC gamer.”

Executive producer at THQ, Frank De Lise, adds that the team is enhancing the PC version with features that you can only get on that platform.

But most definitely the multiplayer.

33. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 16, 2011, 02:08 Jerykk

Digital Extremes was in charge of the PC port, not multiplayer.  

32. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 16, 2011, 01:29 DangerDog

Techie714 © wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 18:06:
WOW! Damn I would HATE to be in that room when THQ starts calling the devs & managers on the phone... "WTF!!! You said focusing on the console was far more important than the PC..WTF!!"....."Were done with you guys"

THQ all but made the announcement that Kaos was getting shut down after the game was released. Digital Extremes was in charge of the multiplayer portion, I don't think they worked on the single player.

They put an effort towards making a proper PC version but it's just not going to cut it, I think they ran up against THQ management pushing it out the door before it was really ready for release.

I haven't played the final version but the videos I've seen look as if they just didn't have enough time to refine the game enough. It was extremely difficult to get people to play the closed beta, there was an initial rush to play the game and then the servers turned into ghost towns.

31. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 16, 2011, 01:18 Ozmodan

Just wait until they release WH40k, the stock will really drop then.  

30. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 16, 2011, 00:51 Jerykk

There was a little country called Germany many years ago that was in the same position....economically and politically. In that scenario it took one maniac with a vision to nearly take over the free world. Also, you are talking about the NK of today, in the game after Kim Jong Ill dies his son opens up dialogue with the west and unites Korea etc. You are then inserted into the game ....20 years from now? Its improbable but hardly implausible.

No, it's fairly implausible. Every first-world country has nukes now. This was not the case during WW2. North Korea would be utterly destroyed if they ever declared war.

29. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 16, 2011, 00:47 Jerykk

This would have been a far more interesting game if it wasn't just CoD with a different setting. They should have made it a realistic, open-world survival game where the choices you make have far-reaching consequences as you assemble an army to fight the North Koreans.  

28. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 23:30 briktal

Overon wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 17:42:
You can watch the first 15 minutes of the game and you will see that's is a console styled first person shooter with a implausible plot:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-15-homefront-review

The plot is an insult to anyone who knows the very basics of North Koreas's situation. North Korea taking over the world, please. They can't feed their people because of the sanctions and their lack of resources.

I just assume they didn't want to make a game where China takes over the US so they created this far-fetched scenario where it's North Korea that takes over Asia and does it.

27. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 21:58 nin

Hump wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 20:14:
nin wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 18:38:

Whoa, Hitler in 3 posts! Is that a record?

Does that qualify as a Godwins law slip?

I'm thinking "close enough".

26. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 21:28 Beamer

72 = mediocre
76 = generally favourable

79 = C+
83 = B

Four points the difference between mediocre and above average? The entire educational system is a sham!

Or... in the 1936 Olympics...
5:45::26 = 3rd place
5:45::01 - 1st place

25 hundredths of a second? That's the difference between Gold and Bronze? This is why I don't watch Olympics!

As for the plot, yeah, it's fiction and fantasy. All I care about is that they treat it properly rather than leaving enormous plot gaps.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 21:05 ASeven

Honestly, from what I'm reading around PC forums, the game seems to have a very mediocre, very short, 2-3 hour long single player component and a pretty decent and fun multiplayer component.  

24. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 21:03 Golwar

Whow, so many posts related to Germany and none of them is entirely correct. Well, I guess that is okay, assuming that most ain't Europeans, not to mention not Germans.
Comparing NK to Germany is total bullshit. Germany had been one of the top 3 industrial nations, had a huge population (considering this era) and was top in science. Not to mention the military tradition, while the Koreans have what? The Korean War from the early 50s?

@ Cutter
While you are correct that Hitler invested a lot into the military, he was nearwhere finished with his preparations. According to their initial plans, they would have needed about 10 more years.

They started the war earlier as they simply couldn't afford it any further, Germany was practically bankrupt. The war financed itself, they plundered what they conquered.

So Germany was no Superpower in 1939, their only real advantage was how they organized their war machine.

So back to Homefront - who cares about some made up stories? I guess the game has other issues, considering the ratings. Too sad that it failed and I'm once more happy that I didn't preorder.

23. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 20:16 Trevellian

I took a chance Homefront. Mostly because I was looking at getting a shooter this month to kill time with, and after spending more time with Crysis 2 I just wasn't impressed overall.

I ended up going with Homefront because so far all the reader reviews I've read that were positive, compare it to Half Life. Despite having like a 5 or 6 hour campaign they say it's Quality over Quantity and gives you that same resistance force fighting back feeling with nice set pieces the way Half Life did. And that sounded pretty okay to me. Will know in a half hour or so whether it was worth it or not.

-C22

22. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 20:14 Hump

nin wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 18:38:

Whoa, Hitler in 3 posts! Is that a record?

Does that qualify as a Godwins law slip?

EDIT: BTW, I seriously doubt the game's lack of a 90+ score has anything to do with the game being plausible or not, hell, Freedom Fighters was even more over-the-top and it turned out to be a gem.

IMO Kaos can make a multiplayer game as good as any developer out today (both Desert Combat and Frontlines MP was great, not to mention they prototyped BF2) . Unfortunately either someone at Kaos or THQ absolutely insists on having both single AND multiplayer. Kaos should be making a game in the same manner DICE made Battlefield, as a MP focused game.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2011, 20:23.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

21. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 19:39 Lorcin

dds wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 19:27:
It's kinda horseshit that simply an average metacritic score will send investors apeshit to sell their stock. But that's how wonderful the stock market is nowadays.

Can't disagree. Is there even a competitor to Metacritic? Seems an opportunity for a startup.

Gamerankings?

20. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 19:36 ASeven

The most depressing part of the gamasutra article?

In 2007 share prices were $36.16, right now they're $4.40.

Yeap, the gaming industry is all fine and healthy alright.

19. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 19:27 cocoreno

It's kinda horseshit that simply an average metacritic score will send investors apeshit to sell their stock. But that's how wonderful the stock market is nowadays.

Can't disagree. Is there even a competitor to Metacritic? Seems an opportunity for a startup.

18. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 19:23 Cutter

Tumbler wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 18:11:
There was a little country called Germany many years ago that was in the same position....economically and politically. In that scenario it took one maniac with a vision to nearly take over the free world. Also, you are talking about the NK of today, in the game after Kim Jong Ill dies his son opens up dialogue with the west and unites Korea etc. You are then inserted into the game ....20 years from now? Its improbable but hardly implausible.

I was thinking the same thing... Have you never watched the History channel?

Yes, and Hitler spent the better part of a decade transforming Germany into a superpower primarily through its manufacturing base by creating weapons of war for what he knew was coming down the pipe. Kim Jong-il just hangs out in his private train and mansions while the people eat dirt...literally. If the guy was actually about doing what Hitler was - making his country great, at least in his eyes, and a force to be reckoned with - then you might just have something. I still say they should have gone with China because at least it may have had some basis in reality, same as it was Russia in Red Dawn and not some piss poor third world nation coming out of nowhere.

Anyway, we knew the game would suck and I'm sure these reviews are bing overly generorous for the most part seeing as they've already taken THQs advertising dollars and had to be somewhat kind in their criticisms.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

17. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 19:12 Teddy

DG wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 18:48:
72 = mediocre
76 = generally favourable

4 points roughly three-quarters of the way up a 100 point scale separates 'mediocre' from 'favourable'.

And, as Gamasutra notes, all the scores published pre-release (i.e. those easy to presume to have preferential NDA) had much higher than average scores.

Why I don't pay attention to reviews.

It's actually one point. From 74-75%. (or 75-76, I forget which exactly) Either way, if they're going to give subtext wording to their ratings, they have to draw the line somewhere that mediocre changes to generally favorable. It's not like "Generally favorable" means it's a great game, that's just you misinterpreting the term (not to mention removing the qualifier "Gernerally" in your version of it to try and make your argument sound better.

16. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 19:00 Ray Marden

I realize I don't have much grounds for this, but I was hoping for something good with this game. Yeah, you can nitpick the story, but at least it was mildly different in that the USA was being attacked instead of the opposite.

However, the reviews have generally been lukewarm with regards to the gameplay. Additionally, even if it had really great gameplay, a four hour (or less) single player game would not warrant a purchase.

I guess there is multi-player for all the bunny hoppers out there, but if that is the main focus of the game, there has been an equally appathetic reporting of it.

/RIP
DB2 looks somewhat interesting, but I have many other games to play.
Guess I will wait for the $5.00 sale,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo