9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Britons caught out by booby-trapped web ads
Mar 14, 2011, 15:48
Re: Britons caught out by booby-trapped web ads Mar 14, 2011, 15:48
Mar 14, 2011, 15:48

Hi there, I was wondering if you successfully removed the spyware/virus from your computer?

A friend is wanting me to visit his computer tomorrow because it has the bluescreen "Your computer is infected!" message. I'm not entirely sure how to remove it, but am hoping a scan in safe mode will find it.

Mar 5, 2011, 17:51
Re: Britons caught out by booby-trapped web ads Mar 5, 2011, 17:51
Mar 5, 2011, 17:51

Drat, sorry to hear it didn't work! It's possible that it isn't up to date with the latest detections. Another you could try is Spybot - Search and Destory, because that's frequently updated with the latest detections:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Mar 5, 2011, 17:37
Nav
Re: Britons caught out by booby-trapped web ads Mar 5, 2011, 17:37
Mar 5, 2011, 17:37
Nav

No Gud Mark.. :(... any one know how to fix this without reformatting the HDD, i have a lot of software installed on my lap over the years and i haven't got any back up of the software's...
Any help is welcomed..

Mar 5, 2011, 16:48
Nav
Re: Britons caught out by booby-trapped web ads Mar 5, 2011, 16:48
Mar 5, 2011, 16:48
Nav

Hi Mark,
I am ruuning the software you gave me.. will let you know if it has done the trick...
Regards
Nav

Mar 5, 2011, 16:35
Re: Britons caught out by booby-trapped web ads Mar 5, 2011, 16:35
Mar 5, 2011, 16:35

Hi Nav, haven't encountered that specific virus, but try the free version of this application in safe mode:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Mar 5, 2011, 16:14
Nav
Re: Britons caught out by booby-trapped web ads Mar 5, 2011, 16:14
Mar 5, 2011, 16:14
Nav

Hi LFace,
I have the same virus on my laptop and not sure how to remove it..
I had a look at the PREFETCH folder..but i cant seem to locate the .exe file in the folder...
could you please give me an idea how to remove this..
Regards
Nav

Mar 4, 2011, 21:28
Re: Britons caught out by booby-trapped web ads Mar 4, 2011, 21:28
Mar 4, 2011, 21:28

My aunt got the same virus pictured in that article (WARNING! YOUR'RE IN DANGER!). Rebooted in Safe mode and used autoruns to find the app. I asked her what she was doing when she got infected. She loaded up her Yahoo mail, ** went to the SPAM folder **, and opened up an email titled "Olive Garden Coupon For You". It looked sort of valid except that Yahoo had blocked all the images. Mousing over one of them showed that they referred to an exe hosted by ygztcrsk.com (some random hostname). I told her to stay out of the Spam folder; it's there for a reason :)

The infection itself was minimal compared to other PCs I've cleaned. One had a TDSS Rootkit on it that no virus scanner would find; after 30 minutes or so it would start downloading other viruses that the scanners would catch, but never the original.

Mar 4, 2011, 13:02
Re: Britons caught out by booby-trapped web ads Mar 4, 2011, 13:02
Mar 4, 2011, 13:02

I haven't encountered this particular "booby-trapped web ad" (Reminds me of The Goonies) but I have had to help two people recently who've had fake antivirus ads on their computer. It does things such as stopping any applications which aren't named iexplore.exe from launching, and you get this fake popup telling you to buy some software.

These things seem to get past anti-virus scans which is a bit worrying!

There was only one free app I found which managed to completely erase it (in safe mode) and that was Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Spybot Search & Destroy seems to delete it after scanning, but it reappears after rebooting.

Britons caught out by booby-trapped web ads
Mar 4, 2011, 10:43
Britons caught out by booby-trapped web ads Mar 4, 2011, 10:43
Mar 4, 2011, 10:43

The wife was caught out by the web ads "virus".

She was on ebay and asked me to look at something on the screen and a fake antivirus program was on screen saying it found a lot of virus infected files.

It stopped every program you tried running including Task Manager and when I rebooted the computer it had replaced the wallpaper and stopped all non-essential programs from running again.

Could only remove it in Safe Mode by looking at the prefetch folder in windows to see which .exe files had been ran. It wasnt even listed in any of the windows startup files in msconfig and such. She also had an antivirus installed which did not stop it nor pick up on it when running a scan in safe mode.

Very nasty one but luckily easily removed once you found the malicious program on the HD.
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older