Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel

State legislators in Chihuahua, Mexico are looking to ban Call of Juarez: The Cartel over unhappiness that the Techland's upcoming western shooter sequel depicts the drug-related violence from which the border town suffers. The Washington Post quotes Chihuahua congressman Ricardo Boone Salmon saying: "It is true there is a serious crime situation, which we are not trying to hide," Boone Salmon said. "But we also should not expose children to this kind of scenarios so that they are going to grow up with this kind of image and lack of values." They also quote State congress leader Enrique Serrano: "Children wind up being easily involved in criminal acts over time, because among other things, during their childhood not enough care has been taken about what they see on television and playing video games," Serrano said. "They believe so much blood and death is normal."
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel
Feb 24, 2011, 22:24
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 24, 2011, 22:24
Feb 24, 2011, 22:24

an alternative the congressman might consider is banning cartel violence. consider even banning the cartel itself! it seems like actual cartel violence might be a bigger threat to mexico than the effect of video games on it's children.

Feb 22, 2011, 17:40
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 22, 2011, 17:40
Feb 22, 2011, 17:40

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 16:49:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 10:32:
It's slightly different there than it is in the U.S. Here, we can say all kinds of crazy shit with no repercussions whatsoever. Doesn't even matter if it's true or not. There, you speak out against the drug cartels or the drug-related violence, and some guys will come kill you, and probably your family as well.

Which is why they need to do something about it. Instead, they do nothing, and hope that they don't get caught in the crossfire. Doing nothing is a choice. Should Jefferson and Washington and Adams have done nothing, because the Brits may have shot them? Should the peoples of Egypt and Tunisia have done nothing because some of them may have been killed?
Those are not remotely the same thing as the situation in Mexico. You can revolt against the government, and yes, you'll probably see some people killed. But governments generally hold back when it comes to killing citizens. They often have no choice in this because the military and police are generally only willing to go so far. When you have cases where the government doesn't hold back, you end up with situations like the Kurds in Iraq where they get slaughtered wholesale and there are no repercussions for the government. Then they end up as just one more genocide statistic.

Revolts only turn into all-out war, like the American Revolution, when you have two sides that are both capable of putting up such a fight. Right now, guns, and even knives, are illegal for people to possess in Mexico. Of course this doesn't matter to the cartels. So the people are kept defenseless, the government, including the police, is corrupt and/or unresponsive, and the cartels have free reign to kill anyone that looks at them funny. They could rally in the streets like the people of Egypt and Tunisia did, but the cartels would likely kill them all without blinking. You've got 2 heavily armed groups, one of which isn't even subject to the kinds of international pressure that kept Egypt and Tunisia's governments in check, and an unarmed citizenry. They'd end up being slaughtered.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Feb 22, 2011, 16:49
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 22, 2011, 16:49
Feb 22, 2011, 16:49

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 10:32:
It's slightly different there than it is in the U.S. Here, we can say all kinds of crazy shit with no repercussions whatsoever. Doesn't even matter if it's true or not. There, you speak out against the drug cartels or the drug-related violence, and some guys will come kill you, and probably your family as well.

Which is why they need to do something about it. Instead, they do nothing, and hope that they don't get caught in the crossfire. Doing nothing is a choice. Should Jefferson and Washington and Adams have done nothing, because the Brits may have shot them? Should the peoples of Egypt and Tunisia have done nothing because some of them may have been killed?

Feb 22, 2011, 16:45
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 22, 2011, 16:45
Feb 22, 2011, 16:45

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 00:39:
Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 22:11:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 21:38:
The only thing the US and Mexican government should be focusing in right now, is legalizing drugs. It's pretty damn clear Americans love to get high, and while it's a health issue, it's their choice, even if it's a poor one.

Such a false reason to legalize anything. The violence will never go away.

No, but it will go way down. Crime rose 24% nationwide during prohibition in the US. Murder was up 12%. It's not the druggies, it's the organized criminals behind the illegal drug market.

Have you ever been face to face with a drug addict? Have you watched a kid pick his sores even though there is no skin there and he is diggin in a blood pit on his arm? have you gone into a flop house after a bunch of junkies just ran from it? Have you seen how people in the throws of a drug binge live?

Yes, yes I have. There are functional druggies as well as dysfunctional druggies. Just like alcoholics. Shit, just like any addict of anything. They make a choice, and they must deal with the consequences. The way it stands now, we all have to pay for them.
It is nothing like alcohol. I see both all the time. I have cases of both in my family. They aren't even remotely similar.
Bullshit. I've seen people in the ER so fucked up from drinking binges that they were literally puking their guts out. I watched one guy die on a gurney as he was being rushed in because he though a case of redbull and a bottle of vodka at 10am was a good breakfast.
The drug war in the US is to prevent the drugs. The drug war south of the border is for control of the drugs in the area. The government doesn't give 2 squats about it's people or the "problem".

Huge difference. If you claim otherwise, you are living in a world with a different color sky. You want weed legalized? Fine, I really don't care. It doesn't get charged anyway at the local level in any form. The rest of the stuff....it isn't natural. It is made in a lab and it is not ok. On any level.

Cocaine is natural. They process the powder into a concentrated form, but chewing coca leaves is something people have been doing forever. Also, many drugs are made in a lab. So what? You think we should all be getting Polio because the shot was made in a lab and it's bad?
Legalizing it will just give them permission to kill eachother for the rights to the land where they are killing eachother. People want to legalize things for their own selfish needs, not for the better of the whole. if you were to even legalize weed and try and regulate it and "tax the hell out of it" like everyone says, they will just do the same they are doing now, but the price might go down.

Spoken like a man who has truly done 0 research on the subject.

Feb 22, 2011, 10:32
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 22, 2011, 10:32
Feb 22, 2011, 10:32

The drug war in the US is to prevent the drugs.

Which it has utterly failed to do over the last 40 years or so. He was right about the crime increase after prohibition too. Of course some people are actually overjoyed about that.

The drug war south of the border is for control of the drugs in the area. The government doesn't give 2 squats about it's people or the "problem".
Could say the same about the government here, especially the state governments. It's more about prison industry profits than any care for people.

You want weed legalized? Fine, I really don't care. It doesn't get charged anyway at the local level in any form.
If only that were true and our ridiculously high incarceration rate didn't show otherwise. Potheads and the low-level dealers are a cash crop for the prison industry.

Cause it is working so well for pharmacuticals! ugh. I can't believe I even reply to this stuff.
Please tell me you're not trying to compare modern drugs, covered by countless patents that jack the prices up, to the kind of illegal shit they've been making in makeshift labs for decades.

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 22:06:
So, do you like living in a country with such a high murder rate? What's the last thing you did to try to change it? I'm guessing, like most people who bitch about things, nothing. Most of you can't even get off your lazy asses for two seconds to write your reps, let alone do anything more.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Feb 22, 2011, 00:39
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 22, 2011, 00:39
Feb 22, 2011, 00:39

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 22:11:
The only thing the US and Mexican government should be focusing in right now, is legalizing drugs. It's pretty damn clear Americans love to get high, and while it's a health issue, it's their choice, even if it's a poor one.

No, but it will go way down. Crime rose 24% nationwide during prohibition in the US. Murder was up 12%. It's not the druggies, it's the organized criminals behind the illegal drug market.

Have you ever been face to face with a drug addict? Have you watched a kid pick his sores even though there is no skin there and he is diggin in a blood pit on his arm? have you gone into a flop house after a bunch of junkies just ran from it? Have you seen how people in the throws of a drug binge live?

It is nothing like alcohol. I see both all the time. I have cases of both in my family. They aren't even remotely similar.

The drug war in the US is to prevent the drugs. The drug war south of the border is for control of the drugs in the area. The government doesn't give 2 squats about it's people or the "problem".

Huge difference. If you claim otherwise, you are living in a world with a different color sky. You want weed legalized? Fine, I really don't care. It doesn't get charged anyway at the local level in any form. The rest of the stuff....it isn't natural. It is made in a lab and it is not ok. On any level.

Legalizing it will just give them permission to kill eachother for the rights to the land where they are killing eachother. People want to legalize things for their own selfish needs, not for the better of the whole. if you were to even legalize weed and try and regulate it and "tax the hell out of it" like everyone says, they will just do the same they are doing now, but the price might go down.

Cause it is working so well for pharmacuticals! ugh. I can't believe I even reply to this stuff.

Feb 21, 2011, 22:11
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 22:11
Feb 21, 2011, 22:11

Feb 21, 2011, 22:06
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 22:06
Feb 21, 2011, 22:06

Kamus wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 20:26:
Agent.X7, You're retarded.

That said, so are these legislators, and the Mexican government. All of it.

Juarez broke a new record this weekend, with at least 46 murders there.

I live in Chihuahua, Chihuahua, which is also in the middle of this "war on drugs" and also has tons of murders, which i sometimes get to at hear from my house.

You can't treat people like kids and tell them what they can, can't do. (unless of course they hurt somebody else, but then, we'd deal with those like we deal with drunk drivers)

The Mexican and American government stance on drugs is:

"sure, 30,000 people killed is bad... but drugs are even worse!"

This is a war that regular people (the VAST majority) here in Mexico didn't care to start in the first place, at all.

People want to get high? fucking let them, and just try to keep the people informed on what the risks are, and that's all you can do (it's not like prohibition has prevented people from using it in the first place)

But enough about that, and back on topic, i'm ashamed that these people are representing me in any way, it's like admitting they have no clue what causes these people to become murderers for hire.

Well, i guess it's not all bad down here. seems like my ISP is upgrading to FTTH GPON. ^____^

So, do you like living in a country with such a high murder rate? What's the last thing you did to try to change it? I'm guessing, like most people who bitch about things, nothing. Most of you can't even get off your lazy asses for two seconds to write your reps, let alone do anything more. This goes for anybody, not just Mexico.

And yes, the war on drugs is stupid. Unfortunately, we failed to learn from prohibition and so we repeated the mistake. Except this time we refuse to acknowledge that it is a mistake, and we plow on in misery.

But, obviously you don't like the Mexican government either. So why am I retarded and you are not? I'm not the one hearing people being murdered from my house and not doing a damn thing about it, am I? Take inspiration from the middle east and change things, or sit there and take it up the ass.

Feb 21, 2011, 21:38
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 21:38
Feb 21, 2011, 21:38

Feb 21, 2011, 20:26
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 20:26
Feb 21, 2011, 20:26

Agent.X7, You're retarded.

That said, so are these legislators, and the Mexican government. All of it.

Juarez broke a new record this weekend, with at least 46 murders there.

I live in Chihuahua, Chihuahua, which is also in the middle of this "war on drugs" and also has tons of murders, which i sometimes get to at hear from my house.

You can't treat people like kids and tell them what they can, can't do. (unless of course they hurt somebody else, but then, we'd deal with those like we deal with drunk drivers)

The Mexican and American government stance on drugs is:

"sure, 30,000 people killed is bad... but drugs are even worse!"

This is a war that regular people (the VAST majority) here in Mexico didn't care to start in the first place, at all.

People want to get high? fucking let them, and just try to keep the people informed on what the risks are, and that's all you can do (it's not like prohibition has prevented people from using it in the first place)

But enough about that, and back on topic, i'm ashamed that these people are representing me in any way, it's like admitting they have no clue what causes these people to become murderers for hire.

Well, i guess it's not all bad down here. seems like my ISP is upgrading to FTTH GPON. ^____^

Feb 21, 2011, 19:39
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 19:39
Feb 21, 2011, 19:39

Ok but I think everybody misses the most important point. Techland makes crappy games! I gave up on call of juarez 2 after the second duel. I know better ways to waste my time. ( and my money ) So thank you Mexico to give me so much media attention to a game that will probably not be worth it.

Feb 21, 2011, 18:38
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 18:38
Feb 21, 2011, 18:38

Being from Juarez myself and having to deal with this horse shit on a day to day basis, I'm not exactly jumping at the opportunity to have it shoved in my face in a video game, the local news does that just fine thank you very much. Hearing about the 17 dead we had last Friday didn't even faze me, I'm still not sure if that's good or bad...

Mind you, not that the game should be banned, that's a downright moronic proposition.

Feb 21, 2011, 18:25
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 18:25
Feb 21, 2011, 18:25

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 14:28:
[...]
And Mexican citizens: Fuck you too. [...]

It must've taken you a really long time to come up with such an intelligent and witty comment, right? Right?
Now we donce.

Feb 21, 2011, 14:28
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 14:28
Feb 21, 2011, 14:28

Dear Mexico, Fuck you. Don't like being portrayed as drug and violence heavy? Then stop being so drug and violence heavy. Oh, that means you'd actually have to do something about it, rather than just cry publicly while accepting money from the very people your government is crying about.

And Mexican citizens: Fuck you too. Rise up and fix your country, or shut the fuck up and live with it.

Feb 21, 2011, 13:52
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 13:52
Feb 21, 2011, 13:52

Someday they will all figure out that banning things does nothing except generate controversy and increase exposure and subsequent sales.

Incompetent politicians pining for a PR victory, while it all backfires in their faces.

Feb 21, 2011, 13:45
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 13:45
Feb 21, 2011, 13:45

So in order to 'help the children' they're attempting to ban a game due to "drug-related violence", that most children will never play anyway, while they live in a region plagued by drug related violence. Hmm. Why not just ban "drug related violence" and leave the game alone? Oh yeah...

Presumably they're looking for bribes. "Give us money or we'll harm you". Which is a pretty similar business model to those cartels!

Feb 21, 2011, 13:04
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 13:04
Feb 21, 2011, 13:04

Video games = scapegoat.

Feb 21, 2011, 12:59
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 12:59
Feb 21, 2011, 12:59

The Washington Post quotes Chihuahua congressman Ricardo Boone Salmon saying: "yo quiero taco bell"

Feb 21, 2011, 12:43
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 12:43
Feb 21, 2011, 12:43

Yep, poverty and a lack of prospects don't lead children into crime, games do!

Yeah, but those are hard to solve, and admitting they're an issue requires a politician to admit he's been ineffective.

It's much nicer to point fingers at something tangible and easy to come up with "solutions" against.

Feb 21, 2011, 12:35
Re: Mexico vs. Call of Juarez: The Cartel Feb 21, 2011, 12:35
Feb 21, 2011, 12:35

Yep, poverty and a lack of prospects don't lead children into crime, games do!
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older