On PC Dragon Age II

A Dragon Age II: Console or PC article on IGN discusses the differences between the Windows and console editions of Dragon Age II, BioWare's upcoming action/RPG sequel. They describe improvements to the appearance of the Xbox 360 edition, new limitations on the camera in the Windows edition, and conclude with this: "As might be expected, the game looks better on a nice PC than on consoles. The art style, which I was extremely skeptical of after seeing the initial screenshots, is an improvement over Origins. Everything from the armor sets to the animations and environments have been improved, making for a world that looks and feels more natural. It seems as though BioWare is taking Origins, which was super nerdy and very specifically targeted players like me, and giving it a graphical facelift so it can appeal to a wider crowd. You know, the crowd that doesn't know what a Gate spell is and isn't instantly apprehensive when someone mentions a Beholder. Here's hoping the final version doesn't lose anything in the transition. At the very least, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 owners should be getting a smoother and ultimately more playable product." There's also a new Dragon Age II official Champion trailer (thanks PC Gamer) that shows how the three different approaches to the game, depending on whether you are a warrior, a mage, or a rogue.
View : : :
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: On PC Dragon Age II
Feb 11, 2011, 10:10
Verno

Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 11, 2011, 10:10
Feb 11, 2011, 10:10
 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 20:00:
Verno wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 08:36:
If this game was making significant gameplay changes I would get your point, but it isn't.

Can't really agree with that based on the video footage I've seen so far.

Well list some, other than the camera and the faster animations. I am following DA2 pretty closely and can't think of anything else significant.

It's been covered pretty extensively in several topics, I even made a bullet point list in the last one. If you don't want to view them as changes then fair enough but I think it's disingenuous to imply otherwise. You can make an argument that this is somehow going to be a better game as a result of the changes but it's varies wildly from the original in scope, gameplay and story.

what happened to the cool down timers that was central to the first game? the gameplay video doesnt seem to make it clear how I know when a special ability is ready to execute.

Push butan, awesome happens. Serious answer, there is an overlay on the buttons at the bottom in the videos I saw.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Feb 11, 2011, 08:47
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 11, 2011, 08:47
Feb 11, 2011, 08:47

what happened to the cool down timers that was central to the first game? the gameplay video doesnt seem to make it clear how I know when a special ability is ready to execute.

Feb 10, 2011, 23:29
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 23:29
Feb 10, 2011, 23:29

Well list some, other than the camera and the faster animations. I am following DA2 pretty closely and can't think of anything else significant.

Please refer to post #35.

Feb 10, 2011, 20:00
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 20:00
Feb 10, 2011, 20:00

Verno wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 08:36:
If this game was making significant gameplay changes I would get your point, but it isn't.

Feb 10, 2011, 10:12
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 10:12
Feb 10, 2011, 10:12

Beady wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 08:23:
Funny how IGN dont mention the day-glo UI which looks totally out of place for the setting.

And the line about "swords look like they have a weight to them" makes me laugh, have you seen how fast the combat animations are? Its like ADHD kids on a sugar high swinging plastic swords.
Yeah, I'm really not liking those silly looking Final Fantasy weapons. It's not visceral. It just looks dumb. Wonder if it'll be moddable enough to replace crap like that.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Feb 10, 2011, 09:47
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 09:47
Feb 10, 2011, 09:47

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 00:58:

Death by a thousand cuts, my friend. Except, in the case of mainstream RPGs, the industry is now slicing up a zombie.

Feb 10, 2011, 08:36
Verno

Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 08:36
Feb 10, 2011, 08:36
 Verno

Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Feb 10, 2011, 08:23
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 08:23
Feb 10, 2011, 08:23

Funny how IGN dont mention the day-glo UI which looks totally out of place for the setting.

And the line about "swords look like they have a weight to them" makes me laugh, have you seen how fast the combat animations are? Its like ADHD kids on a sugar high swinging plastic swords.

Feb 10, 2011, 07:23
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 07:23
Feb 10, 2011, 07:23

I was very skeptical about DA:O until it came out and it pretty much blew me away, with its throwbacks to old-school gameplay. ill reserve my judgement about this but if it turns out to be Dragon Effect (which seems to be the case) then its a no buy for me.

Well Im pretty sure all the reviewers will love it in any case, and it will sell ten times the copies of DA:O so it might be all for naught but this game might herald the end of role playing games as we have come to know and love them...

Whatever happened to that Bioware dev that used to come around and post every so often? CrushBug was it? Maybe he can give us a little hint of hope or maybe a thread of despair....
I have a nifty blue line!

Feb 10, 2011, 03:41
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 03:41
Feb 10, 2011, 03:41

Hmm, wow, never knew that. I always max out Persuasion skills in RPGs by default, so I assumed that you had to have it in order to get the Persuasion options. Still, persuasion wasn't mentioned at all in the Cunning description shown in the Giantbomb video. Lockpicking and trap disarming were mentioned, though.

Feb 10, 2011, 03:24
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 03:24
Feb 10, 2011, 03:24

Jerykk wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 02:47:
I don't think Bioware has ever made a game that gives you extra dialogue options based on stats. It's always been either the Persuasion skill or the moral alignment. With the new dialogue wheel system, I'm pretty sure they just removed Persuasion entirely.

I was thinking of DA:O. In it persuasion was based on your cunning stat and intimidation is based on your strength. It's easy to miss that but I'm pretty sure it's explained in a tooltip somewhere in game. The persuasion skill only gives you a bonus to the strength of cunning check.

http://dragonage.neoseeker.com/wiki/Intimidate_and_Persuade

Feb 10, 2011, 02:47
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 02:47
Feb 10, 2011, 02:47

I don't think Bioware has ever made a game that gives you extra dialogue options based on stats. It's always been either the Persuasion skill or the moral alignment. With the new dialogue wheel system, I'm pretty sure they just removed Persuasion entirely.

Feb 10, 2011, 01:10
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 01:10
Feb 10, 2011, 01:10

@Jerykk: That mostly sounds right, though I'm not sure what you mean by lack of non-combat skills. If you mean crafting, that's still in. If you mean conversation skills, I'm not sure anyone knows for certain. Though it seems like Bioware always gives a few different dialogue options based on stats, skills or alignment.

@StingingVelvet: I agree with nearly all of that. But the change with the camera isn't as minor as you think. Basically, in DA:O you had two camera modes; a 3rd person camera that could be freely rotated and zoomed but was always focused on the currently selected character, and a PC exclusive Baldur's Gate style isometric camera that couldn't be rotated, but could be panned freely. That second mode is not coming back. If you constantly used the isometric camera to aim your AOE spells in the first game, you should understand why some people are upset it's gone. That change is why they scaled back friendly fire on the PC.

Bioware says they made that change, not to screw with PC players, but for two better reasons. First, it was a hard to tune the difficulty levels to accommodate 3rd person players and isometric players simultaneously. The patched game became a bit too easy for isometric players as a result. And second, knowing that many players would stay in isometric view all the time meant they couldn't put anything truly important in the skies or ceilings. I damn well expect some angry birds and ceiling goblins now.

Feb 10, 2011, 00:58
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 00:58
Feb 10, 2011, 00:58

Yakubs wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 18:53:
It's still tactical though, and you still have full party control. Like I said, it is pretty much the same exact game, just faster and with a slightly lower max view distance. Why is that such a big deal? You act like it is an action RPG now and it isn't, have you seen the PC combat video?

It is pretty much the exact same game, just with less punishing difficulty. Who really wants to keep track of the map on graph paper and have to restart a dungeon from the beginning if they die? Let's just tone it down a notch. Why is that such a big deal?

It is pretty much the exact same game, just with 3D graphics. We don't have the budget to model in 3D an entire world like previous famous RPGs so now it's just a few dungeons and towns. Also, instead of hand-crafting the dungeons, we need to create them using cookie-cutter pieces in our in-house mapping tool. Why is that such a big deal?

It is pretty much the exact same game, just with better 3D graphics. Too many people on screen at once is costly, though, so your party is now 3 people down from 8. Oh, and since animations are expensive, you can't climb, cast levitation, or do pretty much anything besides swing your sword. Why is that such a big deal?

It is pretty much the exact same game, just with a more epic story. Now you control the chosen one who is tasked with saving the universe from ultimate evil and you can even join the Good Guys (c) OR the Bad Guys (TM). Since we have this awesome Choice between Good and Evil, we streamlined the dialog so hitting X is the Good Choice and hitting O is the Bad Choice. Why is that such a big deal?

It is pretty much the exact same game, just with more dynamic combat. Sitting around watching your guys hit things is boring. You only control 3 guys anyway, now, so why not give more player control? Yeah, it's an RPG, but the wider audience doesn't like stats. Why not let people hit a button and immediately see something cool happen? Why is that such a big deal?

It is pretty much the exact same game, just without stats or inventory. It allows us to focus on our incredible storyline (which is the same as our last 20 games) written by amateur writers which includes 20 different romancing options, as well as the sweet action combat inspired by Gears of W-- er, by our genius. We're a public company after all so that gives us access to LOTS of funding for sweet special effects and voice acting. Why is that such a big deal?

I toned out halfway through that, honestly.

Feb 10, 2011, 00:16
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 10, 2011, 00:16
Feb 10, 2011, 00:16

Yes, you can still control individual members of your party.

Feb 9, 2011, 23:57
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 9, 2011, 23:57
Feb 9, 2011, 23:57

So in an indirect way you've confirmed for me that you still can control individual characters other than the main.

Feb 9, 2011, 23:54
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 9, 2011, 23:54
Feb 9, 2011, 23:54

It's pretty rare that I dislike everything I hear about a sequel but DA2 may actually achieve that.

I don't like:

- The new, less detailed, cartoony graphical style.
- The new placeholder-looking UI.
- The apparent lack of non-combat skills.
- The reduced loadout customization of companions.
- The dialogue wheel that paraphrases your dialogue choices and provides an icon indicating tone so that you don't actually have to read or think about what you're going to say.
- The lack of race customization.
- The lack of origin stories.
- The voiced protagonist (resulting in the reduction of dialogue options and the removal of race customization).
- The inability to talk to your companions outside of your base.
- The inability to talk to your companions unless they have something new to say.
- The dumbing down of the influence system so that companions never leave or fight you, even if everything you do completely contradicts their fundamental principles and values.
- The cheesy new animations that completely fail to sell the weight and size of weapons and characters.
- The removal of a proper tactical screen where you can zoom out and freely pan the camera without being tethered to any one character.
- The lack of friendly fire in any difficulty below Nightmare.

I think that about covers it.

Feb 9, 2011, 23:49
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 9, 2011, 23:49
Feb 9, 2011, 23:49

Tumbler wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 22:53:
as long as you can jump between group members and control them

I thought this was one of the features they removed?

Haven't been following it too much outside of comments made here.

Feb 9, 2011, 22:53
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 9, 2011, 22:53
Feb 9, 2011, 22:53

Some of the more recent vid clips seem to have settled my fears. The combat seems a lot like the first game, a bit faster and maybe more...action? I don't feel like it's much of a departure from the first, there appears to still be plenty of depth in how you develop your character. I'm ok with the lack of character choices, the way combat played in the first I felt like I was playing a team rather than an individual and as long as you can jump between group members and control them I don't see a big loss if the main character can't be an elf or a lizard or whatever you wanted him to be. (yes I know lizard was not a choice)

I hopefully will get a copy of Dragon Age origins off goozex soon, so i can see what the differences are between the pc and console version. I'm happy to hear they are putting more time into the console interface, I thought it worked great personally, but I'm sure they can improve it.

Looking forward to trying the demo, the biggest difference I'm concerned about is the scenery/locale I'm seeing in the video clips. I remember so many amazing spots in the first one and the video clips they are showing seem to be lacking the same personality the first one had. Hopefully the video is just showing a tiny sliver of the game world and things will be just as rich and varied as the first. That dwarven city was awesome.

Feb 9, 2011, 21:40
Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 9, 2011, 21:40
Feb 9, 2011, 21:40

Yakubs wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 18:53:
It's still tactical though, and you still have full party control. Like I said, it is pretty much the same exact game, just faster and with a slightly lower max view distance. Why is that such a big deal? You act like it is an action RPG now and it isn't, have you seen the PC combat video?

It is pretty much the exact same game, just with less punishing difficulty. Who really wants to keep track of the map on graph paper and have to restart a dungeon from the beginning if they die? Let's just tone it down a notch. Why is that such a big deal?

It is pretty much the exact same game, just with 3D graphics. We don't have the budget to model in 3D an entire world like previous famous RPGs so now it's just a few dungeons and towns. Also, instead of hand-crafting the dungeons, we need to create them using cookie-cutter pieces in our in-house mapping tool. Why is that such a big deal?

It is pretty much the exact same game, just with better 3D graphics. Too many people on screen at once is costly, though, so your party is now 3 people down from 8. Oh, and since animations are expensive, you can't climb, cast levitation, or do pretty much anything besides swing your sword. Why is that such a big deal?

It is pretty much the exact same game, just with a more epic story. Now you control the chosen one who is tasked with saving the universe from ultimate evil and you can even join the Good Guys (c) OR the Bad Guys (TM). Since we have this awesome Choice between Good and Evil, we streamlined the dialog so hitting X is the Good Choice and hitting O is the Bad Choice. Why is that such a big deal?

It is pretty much the exact same game, just with more dynamic combat. Sitting around watching your guys hit things is boring. You only control 3 guys anyway, now, so why not give more player control? Yeah, it's an RPG, but the wider audience doesn't like stats. Why not let people hit a button and immediately see something cool happen? Why is that such a big deal?

It is pretty much the exact same game, just without stats or inventory. It allows us to focus on our incredible storyline (which is the same as our last 20 games) written by amateur writers which includes 20 different romancing options, as well as the sweet action combat inspired by Gears of W-- er, by our genius. We're a public company after all so that gives us access to LOTS of funding for sweet special effects and voice acting. Why is that such a big deal?

Well played...but DA2 won't be. <sic>
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older