Op Ed

Antiherogaming - Why Regenerating Health Is Slowly Killing Gaming. Thanks Joker961 via reddit.
Secondly I believe regenerating health impacts the skill factor involved in gaming. Unless the game in question has particularly gifted A.I there is nothing to stop the player from hiding behind the nearest solid object and slowly picking off the opposition. I would much rather know that after I get shot a couple of times, I’ve either got pull off a massive win and cap the last two guys without dying or make a dash for that health kit. It does not enable the sort of player development that I found crucial five – eight years ago as you can literally wait each fire fight out. I find that in order to make games for difficult the ‘hard modes’ of today’s main stream games just propose to throw more and more bodies at you, and you succumb to the fact that too many people are shooting at you at one time, in an attempt to sap your super human powers.

View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Op Ed
Dec 20, 2010, 11:32
Re: Op Ed Dec 20, 2010, 11:32
Dec 20, 2010, 11:32

I used to be a hardcore gamer when I was a kid. I'm a middle aged adult now with a family, my skills aren't the same they used to be. I appreciate the entry level some games give to people like me. I don't have 40 hours a week to game anymore
Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Dec 20, 2010, 11:15
Re: Op Ed Dec 20, 2010, 11:15
Dec 20, 2010, 11:15

Which games exactly throw more bodies at you as you up the difficulty level? I can't remember any since the days of Doom.

I WISH games would do this, because more stuff to shoot/hack/assassinate / otherwise take out would be awesome.

Instead, every game just raises every enemy's hp by 200%, figuring that if it takes you longer to take someone out, that's considered to be "more difficult."

It's the laziest fucking approach to game development possible.

(I gotta say that I kinda enjoyed ME2's approach to difficulty, by adding layers of protection to enemies, although plenty of munchkins whined that their adepts now were no longer Supreme Gods of the battlefields.)

As for regenerating health, really, that's the only thing he can think of that impacts the skill factor of gaming? Every game has been getting dumbed down, because we keep getting more and more new gamers who find everything too hard and too long, and who basically want two hour games where they just press X, and the game tells them "YOU FUCKING ROCK, MAN!"

Bah.

/old man rant.

Creston

Dec 20, 2010, 11:08
Re: Op Ed Dec 20, 2010, 11:08
Dec 20, 2010, 11:08

The rate of health regeneration could be tied to the difficulty level being played. The level of regeneration would be high on the Easy setting and none for the most difficult setting. It could also be designed to be set completely independently of the overall game difficulty. In any case, I do not feel health regeneration is 'killing' gaming.
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older