EA on OnLive

Computer and Video Games reports some impressions of the OnLive cloud-based media service from EA senior VP Patrick Soderlund. While their headline is: "OnLive games rival 'highest-end PC titles' - EA," that doesn't really reflect the whole story, as while Soderlund does say: "I've tested it myself I've played high-end games like Crysis or Bad Company 2 and they looked exactly like they would do on the highest end PC," he is talking about visually. As for latency, he tells a different story: "The stream and the mechanism that controls the stream, that's the problem right now, getting the latency down so that it feels like you're playing on your TV at home rather than a server somewhere else," he says. "They still have some minor technical challenges to overcome in terms of transferring data to you to have the same experience but this is very impressive technology and these companies - there are several of them - are on to something really big I think." He says he thinks such services are still a couple of years away from becoming mainstream.
View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: EA on OnLive
Nov 22, 2010, 09:42
Re: EA on OnLive Nov 22, 2010, 09:42
Nov 22, 2010, 09:42

Um, Crysis was released in 2008. We're about to hit 2011 :-). To put the opposite spin on that, you could say it can't handle a three year old game!

Or maybe they should just focus on resolution, back end processing power is achievable by just adding more grunt. How much you can shove down the pipe and how fast it does it, is more difficult.

Nov 20, 2010, 22:52
Verno

Re: EA on OnLive Nov 20, 2010, 22:52
Nov 20, 2010, 22:52
 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 20, 2010, 01:48:
If games are ever streaming only that is the day I stop gaming.

This is something that you and I can agree 100% on for a change.

OMG - how can he blatantly lie like that? There is absolutely no comparison between OnLive and a high-end PC (or a mid-range PC for that matter) visually speaking. Shame on you Patrick

He's a senior VP at EA. I'd be shocked if he played a game himself recently. It seems like the higher up you go in these companies, the less connected you are to the realities of the market.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Nov 20, 2010, 17:10
Re: EA on OnLive Nov 20, 2010, 17:10
Nov 20, 2010, 17:10

Lower settings and compression. A lot of people have BAD eyesight, apparently.

Nov 20, 2010, 05:26
Prez

Re: EA on OnLive Nov 20, 2010, 05:26
Nov 20, 2010, 05:26
 Prez

OMG - how can he blatantly lie like that? There is absolutely no comparison between OnLive and a high-end PC (or a mid-range PC for that matter) visually speaking. Shame on you Patrick.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 20, 2010, 04:01
Re: EA on OnLive Nov 20, 2010, 04:01
Nov 20, 2010, 04:01

"I've tested it myself I've played high-end games like Crysis or Bad Company 2 and they looked exactly like they would do on the highest end PC,"

ROROFL ROFL rofl rororofl rofl, this guy either never played those games on high end PC or he is simply blind. These are the kind of quotes onlive will now use to try to sell their services... all hype and all bs.
"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

Nov 20, 2010, 02:50
Re: EA on OnLive Nov 20, 2010, 02:50
Nov 20, 2010, 02:50

what a joke. i have a free onlive account and played some demos of games i have on steam and the quality is not even close to running the game from my computer. i played UT3 amongst others and the quality was less than what i imagine xbox to look like. any PC gaming vet will instantly see vague textures, blurred lines, and upscaled video.

you also cant install mods, change video/audio settings, and run gaming mice with buttons you wish to map. only good for casual/laptop users and the console device looks very interesting (but still not appealing to me).

Nov 20, 2010, 01:48
Re: EA on OnLive Nov 20, 2010, 01:48
Nov 20, 2010, 01:48

If games are ever streaming only that is the day I stop gaming.

Nov 20, 2010, 00:48
Re: EA on OnLive Nov 20, 2010, 00:48
Nov 20, 2010, 00:48

I say it again:

Never going to work.

On a related note, I ordered a new Nvidia 580gtx today.

OnLive users, good luck with that.

Nov 20, 2010, 00:15
Re: EA on OnLive Nov 20, 2010, 00:15
Nov 20, 2010, 00:15

Make no mistake, EA is fucking jizzing itself at the thought of moving everything to onLive or its equivalent competitors. Being able to shut you off from playing COMPLETELY at their whim is their ultimate wet fantasy.

So for him to be so down about it (relatively speaking) means it's really just terrible, and they (EA) don't think that they could get people to sign up for it.

Such a shame. Rolleyes

Creston

Nov 19, 2010, 23:56
Re: EA on OnLive Nov 19, 2010, 23:56
Nov 19, 2010, 23:56

I'm sure ISP's will love to get on board with providing lower latency to OnLive customers for the right price.

In a "couple of years" we'll see the internet services sliced and diced up like they did with cable TV.

Nov 19, 2010, 22:59
Re: EA on OnLive Nov 19, 2010, 22:59
Nov 19, 2010, 22:59

I've tested it myself I've played high-end games like Crysis or Bad Company 2 and they looked exactly like they would do on the highest end PC.
What he is saying is completely disingenuous. There are videos all over the internet that compare Onlive graphics to graphics to high end PC's. And while I could not find Crysis and Bad Company 2 OnLive vs PC comparisons, I have seen a few other ones and you can clearly see the washed lower quality texture work especially in backgrounds parts of a scene using OnLive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-7_0rXB14E&feature=player_embedded
http://www.eurogamer.net/gallery.php?game_id=14397&article_id=1180614#anchor

There is every reason to suspect similar differences will manifest in games like Crysis and Bad Company 2 as well.

The stream and the mechanism that controls the stream, that's the problem right now, getting the latency down so that it feels like you're playing on your TV at home rather than a server somewhere else
This a rather huge technical hurdle to overcome if he means network latency. There is no way to overcome network latency with technology. You can mask it, make the game more forgiving, etc. You simply can't change the laws of physics.
There is only way way to lower latency enough and that is to have these server farms located as close to you, router-wise as possible. And that of course assumes that network latency is the latency he is talking about and not computational latency due to server computational load. At least server computational load is a problem that can be overcome by OnLive buying more hardware and network latency can be overcome by OnLive buying farms near your location.

This service let's you play games at lower graphical fidelity and if you are lucky with adequate network latency if you are physically close to their server farms. And bonus points for being able to play console games too. You don't need a expensive PC. But let's not let people get away with such dishonest statements.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2010, 23:13.

Nov 19, 2010, 22:45
Re: EA on OnLive Nov 19, 2010, 22:45
Nov 19, 2010, 22:45

Verno wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 22:12:
Yeah sorry, not until the ISPs stop ramming usage caps down everyones throat.

I think this is the biggest issue, especially if the other reports I read were true where some users reported having upwards of 200gb of usage a month on their service because of using OnLive.

I don't have metered access at home, and I'd still be willing to bet that a month or two of that kind of usage would have them either talking to me or just outright disconnecting me.

Nov 19, 2010, 22:12
Verno

Re: EA on OnLive Nov 19, 2010, 22:12
Nov 19, 2010, 22:12
 Verno

"I've tested it myself I've played high-end games like Crysis or Bad Company 2 and they looked exactly like they would do on the highest end PC," he is talking about visually.

Couldn't be farther from the truth. To him a high end PC must be a 4 year old laptop, OnLive games look very washed out and low detail compared to running at a high resolution with bells and whistles on.

He says he thinks such services are still a couple of years away from becoming mainstream.

Yeah sorry, not until the ISPs stop ramming usage caps down everyones throat. And not until FTTH becomes a widespread reality for more than a pitiful percentage of households in North America. I think we're more than "a few years" from that.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older