The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand

Turbine announces The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard, a new expansion planned for release in Fall 2011 for The Lord of the Rings Online, their free-to-play MMORPG. This trailer is a teaser for the add-on, which will offer an increased level cap, the new region of Isengard, enhancements to monster play and more. "2010 has been a year of unprecedented growth for The Lord of the Rings Online with our successful introduction of a free-to-play option for our players," said Kate Paiz, Executive Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online. "This is going to be another outstanding year for the game as we progress on our journey toward Mordor and it all begins with our upcoming November update. The journey will carry through 2011 ending with our arrival in the epic region of Isengard where players will confront the raging war and shadow that has spread across Middle-earth."
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand
Nov 20, 2010, 18:46
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 20, 2010, 18:46
Nov 20, 2010, 18:46

I tried FTP in early Oct and like this game so much I subbed.

Its fun and has a good community. The new servers are very populated also so its not like playing a seemingly dying game like some others we all talk about.

After the update a player will be able to level all the way to 65 without spending a dime if they want to put in the time.

Nov 19, 2010, 19:21
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 19:21
Nov 19, 2010, 19:21

I'm not crazy about LOTRO...Dungeons and Dragons: Online is much better imo. It's closer to Guild Wars than WoW, but you can jump, so I think it has a leg up on GW. And it's free (freer than LOTRO, I think, but I'm not sure about the details of that).

The only problem I'm having is that it's kinda hard, unlike most other MMOs...

Nov 19, 2010, 18:58
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 18:58
Nov 19, 2010, 18:58

These games are destined to fail solely due to the profit motive of the company.

We want a game, a game that ends, so we can try other things. These games want money, they slow the experience, trying desperately to keep you hooked.

There has never been a game out there that has captivated me for more than 3 years except Battlefield 2. But I could walk away from it any time, play for 30 minutes or 8 hours. The other would maybe be Doom 1.

Anyways, MMO's are destined to fail by design. They may make them some coin as WoW has proven, but only one MMO can rule the roost it appears.

Nov 19, 2010, 17:56
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 17:56
Nov 19, 2010, 17:56

Generally good game but the last book of the first epic questline broke it for me.

No spoilers, but in ~18 odd quests, you end up travelling too and fro across middle earth (sometimes literally end to end, in raw riding time you'd be going for hours) for about 13 of them.

It does look great in Eyefinity though with DX11 support, still one of the best looking and immersive MMO's around.

Nov 19, 2010, 16:13
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 16:13
Nov 19, 2010, 16:13

I'll fire it up once I'm done with FO:NV.

Creston

Nov 19, 2010, 15:39
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 15:39
Nov 19, 2010, 15:39

The major downside of theirs quests is there's far too much running around, and it's only used as a mechanism to slow leveling down. Where they should reduce and the xp instead. I recall one mid-level quest where I had to go back and forth over huge distances like 3 times just to close out the quest which was basically,

1. Go thank mob X for his help.
Finally get there thinking that's it.
2. Oh well, Mob Y is welcome, go back and tell him so.
WTF?
3. Get back to Mob Y and close the quest.

I almost quit at that point.

Whilst the game is a bit too grindy, the game world itself is really beautiful. Best I've ever seen. Classes are fun. So, in short it's super grindy, but fun if you can cope with that. Turbine's F@P model is still the best of anything out there too.

Still, a year off is way too far for an expansion at this point. They better have at least some other stuff coming down the pipe in short order or people will be gone long before that. That was their major problem with DDO.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Nov 19, 2010, 15:09
Kxmode

Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 15:09
Nov 19, 2010, 15:09
 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 13:59:
Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 13:32:
Verno wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 11:43:
Burglar is really fun to play but the other classes are all kinda tame in my opinion. Unfortunately the game falls into the usual MMO tropes very quickly and becomes the familiar grind. The instanced story quests were interesting though.

Is burglar a lot of "break into houses, sneak around, avoid the law, steal shit" kinda stuff? Ie, MMO Thief?

It's a little bit of everything. Decent at soloing, stealth, lots of crowd control and debuffs, sets up fellowship moves and so on. It's really just fun as heck to play.

And the best part is once you reach level 60 you gain a new title: Hamburglar. *rubble rubble*
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Nov 19, 2010, 15:03
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 15:03
Nov 19, 2010, 15:03

If you haven't tried it yet, the Warden class is pretty fun, reminds me of AoC in the way it plays.
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

Nov 19, 2010, 13:59
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 13:59
Nov 19, 2010, 13:59

Burglar is really fun to play but the other classes are all kinda tame in my opinion. Unfortunately the game falls into the usual MMO tropes very quickly and becomes the familiar grind. The instanced story quests were interesting though.

Is burglar a lot of "break into houses, sneak around, avoid the law, steal shit" kinda stuff? Ie, MMO Thief?

Creston

It's a little bit of everything. Decent at soloing, stealth, lots of crowd control and debuffs, sets up fellowship moves and so on. It's really just fun as heck to play.

Nov 19, 2010, 13:49
Kxmode

Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 13:49
Nov 19, 2010, 13:49
 Kxmode

No. It's the sneak-up-behind-your-target-and-gank-them variety.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Nov 19, 2010, 13:32
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 13:32
Nov 19, 2010, 13:32

Creston

Nov 19, 2010, 12:50
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 12:50
Nov 19, 2010, 12:50

Honestly, though, if you're someone who has a problem with grinding, FedEx quests and the like, don't bother with MMORPGs at all.

No, I think I'd rather they aspire to be something better thanks Persistent worlds offer a lot of interesting ideas for gameplay. LOTRO did great things with quests in particular but unfortunately the grind still takes over eventually.

I did however have a lot of fun with the combat and questing for a few weeks, Burglars are the coolest Rogue-type I've seen in any MMO. They just a total blast to play.

Nov 19, 2010, 12:41
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 12:41
Nov 19, 2010, 12:41

I tried the f2p a month ago and liked it so much I signed as a regular subscriber. The first thing that struck me about the game was the gameworld -- it looks gorgeous, has a lot of charm and feels like LOTR. The combat had enough strategy to keep me interested, as did the quests and the role you play in the central storyline. The fact that you can buy a house pretty early on is also a nice touch.

Honestly, though, if you're someone who has a problem with grinding, FedEx quests and the like, don't bother with MMORPGs at all. They all have that type of gameplay. As for the difference between LOTRO and WoW (where I spent five years), WoW is more raid-oriented, LOTRO places more emphasis on lore, quests and crafting. LOTRO wins the graphics battle. WoW is more developed when it comes to PvP.

Nov 19, 2010, 12:16
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 12:16
Nov 19, 2010, 12:16

Bill Borre wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 11:40:
I just started playing yesterday, but the F2P model looks alot like EQ2. I don't know if that helps. I hope the game gets more interesting as it goes on. The combat is kinda flat like AOC and so far the fedex quests they have in the beginning are boring.

I've been a multi-year lurker of Blue's News and had to create an account to respond to this, so cheers for that.

I strongly disagree with the fact that this F2P model looks a lot like EQ2. Sony in their infinite wisdom decide that they should have new servers for the F2P players. So no co-existing on established servers, no knew blood, and the game is dying quickly (they are merging servers due to lack of people playing EQ2).

Unlike Sony's F2P Model which is the industry standard in how to do it wrong (but then again what doesn't SOE screw up?) LotRO allows new players to level all the way up to 65 of 65 for free (or will in November's patch), EQ2 limits you to level 50 of 80.

Sony's Model will allow you to buy better items, buy arrows out in the field (for real $), buy items you can't get in the game at all without $, and will cost you more money in the end than having a subscription... Heck Sony will even let you gamble using real money, on a chance to game changing items (so yeah they only want your money no two ways about it).

LotRO's Model will allow you to purchase items that speed up your entire gaming experience (travel, xp, deeds etc...), but there is nothing you get in the store you can't get yourself. But wait a second, you say, there are things there, yeah but you see unlike Sony, you earn TP (Turbine Points) in the game, or you can buy them. If you subscribe you get 500 TP every month (which basically makes expansions or "fluff" items for free), even if you don't subscribe TP is built per character, but stored per account. Since you earn it in game, you can get ALL OF THE GAME FOR FREE (even the expansions), if you invest time. Sony will take every bleeding cent they can from you in every form and fashion.

That is why people rave about how well LotRO did F2P and why people laugh at EQ2's version. It is horrible, the leads at EQ2 are only there to get money quickly, and let the game die. LotRO is to get your money over the long haul.

But it isn't all sunshine and rainbows, it is a MMORPG, which means it is typical, kill this, do that, return, rinse and repeat. And if that isn't your thing, this game will not be for you. But if you like it, you will find LotRO is -the- mmorpg to play for free at the moment, they did everything right with their F2P, all others companies that want to go down the path should take note.

My 2 cents

Nov 19, 2010, 12:15
Kxmode

Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 12:15
Nov 19, 2010, 12:15
 Kxmode

Bill Borre wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 11:40:
I just started playing yesterday, but the F2P model looks alot like EQ2. I don't know if that helps. I hope the game gets more interesting as it goes on. The combat is kinda flat like AOC and so far the fedex quests they have in the beginning are boring.

Sadly it's like that throughout the entire game.

Nov 19, 2010, 11:43
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 11:43
Nov 19, 2010, 11:43

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2010, 12:15.

Nov 19, 2010, 11:40
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 11:40
Nov 19, 2010, 11:40

Nov 19, 2010, 11:39
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 11:39
Nov 19, 2010, 11:39

I started right when F2P went live and have been enjoying it immensely.

The only cash I've dropped has been about $10 to pick up a few things from the LotRO Store that make travel easier and a boxed copy of the MoM expansion for $9 from MicroCenter, which gives m free VIP for a month and unlocks a BUNCH of helpful things like no gold limit, all inventory bags, etc.

Nov 19, 2010, 11:32
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 11:32
Nov 19, 2010, 11:32

So someone tell me. I heard LoTRO went Free To Play but is a FTP character any fun, or is it so gimped that you're going to end up paying a lot to have a good time?

Nov 19, 2010, 11:14
Kxmode

Re: The Lord of the Rings Online to Expand Nov 19, 2010, 11:14
Nov 19, 2010, 11:14
 Kxmode

Fortune favors the bold.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older