Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Star Wars: The Old Republic Update

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has a new trailer and update on crew skills in the upcoming Star Wars MMORPG. Word is: "The Crew Skills system allows you to take advantage of everything the galaxy has to offer without getting in the way of your adventure! You’ll assign your crew of companions to gather resources, craft useful and valuable items, and even to undertake their own missions, bringing you and the rest of the crew a variety of benefits and rewards. Crew skills keep you in the action while you take advantage of all the galaxy has to offer."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 15:40 Ant

This is why we need to try the beta/demo. first. I am not buying anything without free samplers/trials.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 15:26 Eldaron Imotholin

I feel alone in thinking the game is gonna be a blast, here on Bluesnews ^^

That's being melodramatic of course. But there's allot of negative shit going around here about the game.

As for Jerykk's comment: I completely agree. A single player MMO probably doesn't work. I truly hope Bioware knows what they're doing.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 12:43 Drayth

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 07:38:

Looking forward to TOR more by the day. Although I feel alone in this,

Nah, you're not the only one who's looking forward to TOR.

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 12:41 Jonny

Jerykk wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 08:28:
Bioware has created a new and completely oxymoronic genre. MMOSPG...massive multiplayer single player game.

This is pretty much my biggest problem with the game. It's essentially a single-player RPG with a monthly fee. Sure, you have a story that's affected by the choices you make... but none of these consequences affect any other players. It completely defeats the point of being an MMO. Hell, from what I've read, you'll even see other players walking around with the same companions as you. Talk about killing the immersion. Bioware should have just skipped this and made a proper KOTOR3.

As long as the monthly fee covers content updates and more to experience than they would ever have shoved into a singleplayer game I'm happy. Unless I can't avoid it I always play solo anyway and otherwise just chat, trade and help other people out.

I've been looking at GW2, but I'm a bit sick of fantasy games. I'd like some sci-fi, and with STO sucking so very badly, and EVE being a ship only game at the moment, TOR is pretty much the only contender.

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 09:22 Cutter

Yeah, GW2 looks like the only thing good coming down the pipe soon. This game will suck for sure. Planes of Telara, same thing. Tera - combat looks awesome fun, but it's way to Japanime for me.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 08:28 Jerykk

Bioware has created a new and completely oxymoronic genre. MMOSPG...massive multiplayer single player game.

This is pretty much my biggest problem with the game. It's essentially a single-player RPG with a monthly fee. Sure, you have a story that's affected by the choices you make... but none of these consequences affect any other players. It completely defeats the point of being an MMO. Hell, from what I've read, you'll even see other players walking around with the same companions as you. Talk about killing the immersion. Bioware should have just skipped this and made a proper KOTOR3.

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 07:38 Eldaron Imotholin

It's not KOR, Creston. It's TOR.

Looking forward to TOR more by the day. Although I feel alone in this, I think it's going to be a blast! Excited about everything Bioware has shown so far EXCEPT for Space On Rails, which might aswell kill the game.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 03:19 Creston

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 00:39:

Bioware's doing a pretty good job of tarnishing their reputation with their complete "dumbing down" of DA2 to Mass Effect 2 proportions thinking their new console target audience will buy more copies. Honestly if TOR flops, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bioware end up the next Origin/Bullfrog/Westwood etc in a few years.

While I won't argue with the dumbing down aspect of ME2 (not going to judge DA2 yet), it's simple inarguable fact that ME2 sold a LOT more copies than ME1.

And while I didn't agree with some of the things they stripped out (they should fucking SHOOT the dipshit who thought Planet Scanning was a better alternative to Mako Exploring), I find the game as a whole is a LOT better than ME1. (purely in terms of gameplay. The story was better in ME1.)

So I'm not sure why ME1 - ME2 is somehow an indicator of how badly KOR will flop... If we apply the same logic to KOTOR - KOR, KOR is going to sell shitloads of copies.

Creston

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 00:39 RollinThundr

NicklePop wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 00:36:
Icewind wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 00:16:
Easy prediction:

This game fails.

Bioware blames EA, EA blames Bioware.

....while EA Louse sits smugly in his/her chair.

Equally easy prediction:

This game owns all, given Bioware's reputation, and EA's funding.

We know almost nothing. Look at WoW trailers pre-launch; (psst, laughable)

Expect this to be multiplayer KOTOR in a WoW game-world with similar mechanics. Sounds awesome to me, and I have no reason to expect anything but brilliance from this game.

The only thing I hope they change/expand on is space flight; but I didn't expect ANY space flight other than cutscene... so its a minor complaint.

Bioware's doing a pretty good job of tarnishing their reputation with their complete "dumbing down" of DA2 to Mass Effect 2 proportions thinking their new console target audience will buy more copies. Honestly if TOR flops, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bioware end up the next Origin/Bullfrog/Westwood etc in a few years.

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 00:36 Despoiler

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 00:36 NicklePop

Icewind wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 00:16:
Easy prediction:

This game fails.

Equally easy prediction:

This game owns all, given Bioware's reputation, and EA's funding.

We know almost nothing. Look at WoW trailers pre-launch; (psst, laughable)

Expect this to be multiplayer KOTOR in a WoW game-world with similar mechanics. Sounds awesome to me, and I have no reason to expect anything but brilliance from this game.

The only thing I hope they change/expand on is space flight; but I didn't expect ANY space flight other than cutscene... so its a minor complaint.

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 00:16 Icewind

Easy prediction:

This game fails.

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 13, 2010, 22:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

Agreed, on skipping this for Guild Wars 2... any release date mentioned for GW2 yet?  

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 13, 2010, 22:29 Bucky

Esoteric wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 21:01:
I'm just going to skip this completely and wait for GW2.

+1

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 13, 2010, 21:47 Ant

Tumbler wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 19:49:
Seems like a no brainer to skip this at launch and check in a month later.
Or a year later.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 13, 2010, 21:01 Esoteric

I'm just going to skip this completely and wait for GW2.  

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 13, 2010, 19:49 Tumbler

Seems like a no brainer to skip this at launch and check in a month later.  

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 13, 2010, 18:44 Jonny

*sigh*

Damn you TOR and the good/shit rollercoaster you put me through. For everything that sounds unutterably crap you provide something that sounds awesome.

I don't want to hope, but the whole ship/crew/crafting thing sounds well fun.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo