Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I am being asked to do my civic duty today, as I have been called in for Jury Duty. I fully plan on going in and demanding to know whether they know who I am, and I fully plan on the answer being no. Kidding aside, I will try an beg off based on being a sole proprietor, but I tried this when I served a dozen or so years ago, and it didn't work at all. We'll just have to see, but this may end up affecting updates here, and apologies in advance if it does.

Civic Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: All We Need Is Brain.
Edheads - Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery.
Links: Trash Talking Legends.
Top 10 Bizarre Weapons of the Allies. Thanks Neatorama.
Geordi LaForge Offers to Help NASA.
Story: Vladimir Putin Drives F1 Car- Insert "In Soviet Russia" Joke Here. Thanks brother19.
The New FIFA is Awesome.
Koopa Butchering Chart. Mmm, Koopa Steaks.
FarmVille IRL Takes Way Too Much Patience.
Media: Kitteh Plays Mega Man.
Don Draper v. Samwell- What What- (In the Butt).
The New Stig - Top Gear's Stig Farm.
The Funnies: ActionTrip Comic Strip: Star Wars: The Really Old Republic.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 22:31 Prez

Enahs wrote on Nov 8, 2010, 20:54:
In 40 years I have never served on jury duty.

Unless you are 58, you can only claim not being served for 22 years, as you are not eligible until 18.

I actually meant to say "In MY 40 years", but yeah, as written it's misleading. Although technically correct.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2010, 22:42.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 20:54 Enahs

In 40 years I have never served on jury duty.

Unless you are 58, you can only claim not being served for 22 years, as you are not eligible until 18.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 20:13 Prez

In 40 years I have never served on jury duty. What's odd is that I have always wanted to, but have never gotten the chance. I was called twice during my naval service but because the dates I was called for were during scheduled deployments I was excused out of both of them. Believe me, I would have preferred jury duty to sea duty, but it was never up to me. I'm guessing I'll be called again soon, and this time I'll go.

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 8, 2010, 17:37:
I think everyone should have to sit and see all of that. To many people are sheltered/naive and don't know there are truly evil people out there....unfortunately I deal with the scum of the earth regularly, and the sick shit people do....never seems to surprise me anymore.

I consider myself mostly numb to the evils of humanity after being so closely affected by 9/11, but even so I am still disturbed beyond words by some crimes. The Connecticut massacre for which one of the monsters involved was just sentenced to death for today and the Lester Street Massacre in Memphis for which the trial just wrapped up (that crime took place about 2 miles from where I'm sitting right now) both really got to me.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2010, 20:18.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 17:37 Retired

Enahs wrote on Nov 8, 2010, 15:20:
I had to serve this summer.
I was on one trial though that involved a murder. After a couple days and having to see all kinds of disturbing crime scene photos and images of the dead person and hear the testimony of the family members of the person that was killed and how upset they were.

I think everyone should have to sit and see all of that. To many people are sheltered/naive and don't know there are truly evil people out there....unfortunately I deal with the scum of the earth regularly, and the sick shit people do....never seems to surprise me anymore.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 17:35 Sepharo

I've been called twice but never had to stay in the lobby more than 15 minutes.

A lady will announce, "If anyone is on probation they cannot serve on the jury, please come up and get signed out." So I just walk up there with all the delinquents and sign out.

They don't bother to do any check or even ask you what the probation is for but I guess if they ever do, "Oops, I thought I was."

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 16:23 PHJF

I don't think I could handle all the lawyering. I'd scream OBJECTION, RELEVANCY! at any and every opportunity.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 15:20 Enahs

I had to serve this summer.

Most things were done in a few hour. I was on one trial though that involved a murder. After a couple days and having to see all kinds of disturbing crime scene photos and images of the dead person and hear the testimony of the family members of the person that was killed and how upset they were. After all that, the bastard plead guilty finally and I did not even get a chance to intact my power as a juror member!

Pissed me off.

- W. C. Fields

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 15:07 Retired

nin wrote on Nov 8, 2010, 09:46:
I will try an beg off based on being a sole proprietor

Good Luck With That.

Received a notice 2x now in my life.
Once I was a student and the other they used old records in the wrong county. So I haven't had to yet. Something tells me my job will now not allow me to serve on a jury.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 15:00 kanniballl

Enahs wrote on Nov 8, 2010, 12:59:
Granted it is annoying and complicates your life. But why is everybody so opposed to jury duty? It is kinda important, even if most of the time it is stupid stuff.

I agree. I'd be alright with it.

The last time I was actually getting willing to go, but in the end they said didn't need to come in.

My only downsides are: I'm usually heller-busy at work. I'll have a couple weeks straight of being very busy, then maybe a few days of cooldown.

If Jury Duty comes up during the busy period, it screws up everything. If it comes during the cooldown, so be it. Though I would rather NOT be put into one of those big trials that last for days and require that you're sequestered.

Note to Carnivore / whatever AI out there reading this thread. I'm not volunteering, but I'm not that against it.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 12:59 Enahs

Granted it is annoying and complicates your life. But why is everybody so opposed to jury duty? It is kinda important, even if most of the time it is stupid stuff.

- W. C. Fields

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 12:27 MrBone

The Advocate wrote on Nov 8, 2010, 10:42:
I have been summoned to jury duty three times in the last two years.

I always say that I am related to three police officers and that I support the death penalty for even the lightest of offenses, including jay walking.

I have as yet to serve on an actual jury.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 12:26 MrBone

Jury Duty is among the most boring things I have ever done. You sit in a room staring at the woodwork for at least a week all day long.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 12:09 Hoop

Tell them you suffered injuries on active duty.
Active duty, taking Mrs Blue to the garden centre & being injured by a rouge parrot ..... but minor details.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2010, 13:12.

Um .. Behind you...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 11:48 Beamer

Yeah, just making any kind of extremist remarks will get you out of PDQ.

Fun fact: attorneys often like keeping the guys clearly lying to get out quicker around just to annoy them. You won't make the final cut, but you'll stick around while they narrow it down.

Where I worked people just went back to the feeding pool until 4pm anyway.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 11:05 Cutter

Yeah, just making any kind of extremist remarks will get you out of PDQ.  

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 10:49 kanniballl

I've only been called twice. Though I don't think in my state+county I can request to reschedule.

The first time, I was still a college student and it was near exams. I got out of it.

The next time (which was maybe 2 years ago) they said I had to come in Monday + Tuesday, but to also call the night before to see if I had to come in at all that day. Both days my number range was excused, so I didn't have to go.

On one hand, I'm somewhat curious about serving on a jury for a small matter.

On the other hand, I'm always too friggin' busy to take the days off.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 10:42 Burrito of Peace

I have been summoned to jury duty three times in the last two years.

I always say that I am related to three police officers and that I support the death penalty for even the lightest of offenses, including jay walking.

I have as yet to serve on an actual jury.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 10:21 Armengar

turn up with a "free aung san suu kyi" t shirt on and swear that you believe everyone deserves a second chance. That should excuse you pretty quickly.

Oh and people might laugh but "racing" isnt easy. Ive been a member of the classic motorcycle racing club for a few years and recently took my hand to sidecar racing. Its fucking scary (but a major rush). So hats off to the guy.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 10:14 InBlack

I have to say that Vladimir Putin is just awesome. Not as awesome as Chuck Norris but i would place him at a close second place....  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2010, 09:46 nin

I will try an beg off based on being a sole proprietor

Good Luck With That.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo