StarCraft II Plans

A "developer's corner" post on Battle.net talks about one-on-one game balance in StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. They offer statistics showing the breakdown of how often each of the game's playable races wins when matched up against the other races, which demonstrate some apparent imbalances in the RTS sequel (what can you expect after rushing a game out after just seven years of development?). They outline some changes they are working on "to make zerg matchups feel and play better." Here's word:

• We're increasing roach range. This will allow roaches to be more effective in large groups, giving the zerg more options in the mid to end game.
  • Fungal Growth will now prevent Blink, which will give zerg a way to stop endlessly Blinking stalkers which can be very challenging to deal with in large numbers.
  • The Barracks are going to require a Supply Depot, which will impact a lot of early terran reaper pushes.
  • The reaper speed upgrade will require the Factory, which is meant to weaken a lot of the early terran reaper attacks that dominate so many matches, especially in team games.
  • We're making a number of increases to the health of zerg buildings, which will make the very vulnerable zerg technology structures more resistant to raids. We don't expect these hit point changes to have a super significant impact on the game, but the current numbers felt way too low.
View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: StarCraft II Plans
Oct 9, 2010, 16:13
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 9, 2010, 16:13
Oct 9, 2010, 16:13

The 1.1 patch already nerfed the Reaper build time, along with zealot rush shenanigans
Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

Oct 8, 2010, 21:16
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 21:16
Oct 8, 2010, 21:16

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 18:24:
I can attest to the fact that even with the last Reaper nerfs, speedy reapers can micro and take out tons of lings without getting touched and can quickly overwhelm my Zerg base if I don't get roaches fast.

I thought the changes hadn't been made yet. Is there some beta version out there?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Oct 8, 2010, 18:24
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 18:24
Oct 8, 2010, 18:24

I can attest to the fact that even with the last Reaper nerfs, speedy reapers can micro and take out tons of lings without getting touched and can quickly overwhelm my Zerg base if I don't get roaches fast.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

Oct 8, 2010, 09:16
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 09:16
Oct 8, 2010, 09:16

OMFG WTF NOOB LOL KTHXBYE

Oct 8, 2010, 08:01
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 08:01
Oct 8, 2010, 08:01

MrTA wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 02:32:
WTF is Terran going to do early game vs proxy toss and 6 pool zergs now!?
I don't agree with requiring depot before rax but defending 6pool and proxygates successfully should never require you to build rax before depot is finished. It's in no way impossible to defend against these things with a standard 10 depot 12 rax build. Scout. Pull SCVs. Micro. Use autorepair.

Xero wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 07:02:
To build an effective wall early I get a barrack and supply depot building at the same time to block it quicker.
Your build is terrible. Learn a better build and learn to defend against these things in a more efficient manner instead. You will become a better player much faster.

Oct 8, 2010, 07:35
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 07:35
Oct 8, 2010, 07:35

Blizzard has said that the next balance patch is still a few months away. This announcement is likely a way to gauge the communitys response. Expect these patch notes to change significantly before the patch goes live. (And it won't be before GSL 2)

Oct 8, 2010, 07:31
J
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 07:31
Oct 8, 2010, 07:31
J

I have this strange feeling of deja vu...
nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

Oct 8, 2010, 07:02
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 07:02

"The Barracks are going to require a Supply Depot, which will impact a lot of early terran reaper pushes."

That just might of completely broke Terran in many ways. To build an effective wall early I get a barrack and supply depot building at the same time to block it quicker. To counter zergling rush, I get my rax building as fast as possible to get marines as soon as my supply depot finishes(which I build second). So now, if I hear this correct, I need to completely finish building 1 supply depot before I can even begin construction of my barrack? Oh that's just great. By the time my supply depot is done, there will be zerglings already coming to my base...how the hell am I suppose to BEGIN construction and them build marines when there is a pack of zerglings on their way down??? Blizzard, wtf!

Verno

Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 07:02
 Verno

MrTA wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 02:32:
OMFG are they insane?!?!? WTF is Terran going to do early game vs proxy toss and 6 pool zergs now!? Idiots. And bye bye reaper. That change is really stupid. Reapers got nerfed last patch big time and now the wan't to completly remove it from the game. Morons....

Thx to all u retarted zerg noobs that whine like little bitches in the Blizzard forums. Looks like that works, well look forward to massive Terran whine now. Zerg is strong as it is, just look at Fruitdealer ffs. What is this shit, fixes for bronze league or sth? Blizzard is gimping an entire race becuase of some noobs. So annoying.

If they want to buff Zerg AGAIN, then I suggest the following changes:

Give roach speed and Oversesrs hatchery status instead of lair.

Make larva injection and creep spread some kind of auto spell status.

If u look at good Zergs vs noob Zergs multasking queens is the big difference here. Buffing Roach-range will only make the hydra even more useless then it already is lol.

Blizzard has lost it. Damn... GSL2 top 10 will now be all Zergs...

And this post is a perfect example of why competitive Starcraft is completely obnoxious. "retarted", really? Effort man, sheesh.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Oct 8, 2010, 02:32
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 02:32
Oct 8, 2010, 02:32

OMFG are they insane?!?!? WTF is Terran going to do early game vs proxy toss and 6 pool zergs now!? Idiots. And bye bye reaper. That change is really stupid. Reapers got nerfed last patch big time and now the wan't to completly remove it from the game. Morons....

Thx to all u retarted zerg noobs that whine like little bitches in the Blizzard forums. Looks like that works, well look forward to massive Terran whine now. Zerg is strong as it is, just look at Fruitdealer ffs. What is this shit, fixes for bronze league or sth? Blizzard is gimping an entire race becuase of some noobs. So annoying.

If they want to buff Zerg AGAIN, then I suggest the following changes:

Give roach speed and Oversesrs hatchery status instead of lair.

Make larva injection and creep spread some kind of auto spell status.

If u look at good Zergs vs noob Zergs multasking queens is the big difference here. Buffing Roach-range will only make the hydra even more useless then it already is lol.

Blizzard has lost it. Damn... GSL2 top 10 will now be all Zergs...

Oct 8, 2010, 01:09
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 01:09
Oct 8, 2010, 01:09

I'm a Protoss player myself. I don't use Stalker blink to much personally anyway, though it depends really on what faction I'm facing and how that person is playing.

Oct 8, 2010, 00:53
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 00:53
Oct 8, 2010, 00:53

I always felt roaches occupied a place between zergling and hydralisk that wasn't necessarily a good choice between the two. Maybe I'm just using them wrong. The rapid health regen when burrowed is nice, but its just one more thing to keep track of with the zerg, who already have a lot to watch.

Oct 8, 2010, 00:33
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 00:33
Oct 8, 2010, 00:33

Sort of. Reaper and Stalker nerfs, which seem reasonable, especially considering their apparently statistically-backed dominance, and a buff to a few Zerg buildings and Roaches. If the Zerg were really getting their asses handed to them on such a regular basis, it'll be interesting to see how this tips the balance.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Oct 8, 2010, 00:06
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 8, 2010, 00:06
Oct 8, 2010, 00:06

Good fuck those are some sweeping changes..

Oct 7, 2010, 21:56
Dev
Re: StarCraft II Plans Oct 7, 2010, 21:56
Oct 7, 2010, 21:56
Dev

So why did they nerf the zerg last big patch then? lol
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older