A "developer's corner" post on Battle.net
talks about one-on-one game balance in StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
. They offer statistics showing the breakdown of how often each of the game's playable races wins when matched up against the other races, which demonstrate some apparent imbalances in the RTS sequel (what can you expect after rushing a game out after just seven years of development?). They outline some changes they are working on "to make zerg matchups feel and play better." Here's word:
- We're increasing roach range. This will allow roaches to be more effective in large groups, giving the zerg more options in the mid to end game.
- Fungal Growth will now prevent Blink, which will give zerg a way to stop endlessly Blinking stalkers which can be very challenging to deal with in large numbers.
- The Barracks are going to require a Supply Depot, which will impact a lot of early terran reaper pushes.
- The reaper speed upgrade will require the Factory, which is meant to weaken a lot of the early terran reaper attacks that dominate so many matches, especially in team games.
- We're making a number of increases to the health of zerg buildings, which will make the very vulnerable zerg technology structures more resistant to raids. We don't expect these hit point changes to have a super significant impact on the game, but the current numbers felt way too low.