Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases

Kotaku has a follow-up reporting that upcoming military shooter reboot Medal of Honor will not be sold on U.S. military bases, in spite of the recent announcement that the opposing force will no longer be referred to as the Taliban. The Taliban label sparked controversy, and was one of the reasons it was originally announced the game would not be sold in U.S. bases, but a spokesperson told them the name change is not inspiring a policy change. "Out of respect to those touched by the ongoing, real-life events presented as a game, Exchanges will not be carrying this product," Army & Air Force Exchange Service Commander Maj. Gen. Bruce Casella told Kotaku. "While we regret any inconvenience this may cause, our position is consistent with the direction stated a month ago. I expect the military families who are authorized to shop the Exchange are aware, and understanding, of the decision not to carry this particular offering."
View : : :
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases
Oct 7, 2010, 15:47
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 7, 2010, 15:47
Oct 7, 2010, 15:47

This is why we are so retarded as a nation: We are too politically correct. Yet they (the Taliban ...can kill us in Afghanistan...but we can't kill them in a video game that will not be sold on U.S. Bases...oh wait it must be a leftover from Bush...we can fight em over there mentality....Come Mr. Taliban...suck a round from my banana clip...shoot you in the head cause I wanna go home

"........ I know kung fu........ "
Oct 7, 2010, 07:09
"........ I know kung fu........ " Oct 7, 2010, 07:09
Oct 7, 2010, 07:09

I think it would be quite excellent to have a game (probably TBS or RTS) where the playable factions are the dominant world religions: Christians vs Muslim vs Jews vs Buddhist vs Hindus or something like this. It would be especially good if the death animations for each unit were particularly bloody and gruesome as well.

Or perhaps a mortal kombat/street fighter game. You have your playable Jesus, Mohammed, Moses, Guatama, Krishna, etc. etc. And then you can sit back and kick the shit out of each other and rip peoples spines out and so forth, drink their blood, eat their flesh, steal their followers, etc.

Then every religious fundamentalist should be required to own a copy of this game and also play it a set number of hours each day.

Then you could move on to make games with republicans vs democrats, male vs female, young vs old, etc.

Utopia here we come!

Oct 6, 2010, 21:48
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 21:48
Oct 6, 2010, 21:48

Well, like it was said earlier..
The BX/PX doesn't carry many games, and they don't get them in a timely fashion.. plus, you get better deals off base anyhow.

Then there's this part:
The game sucks! Nobody should want to get it.

/prior Air Force

Oct 6, 2010, 20:12
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 20:12
Oct 6, 2010, 20:12

Draxsr wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 13:25:
Ever since the PC movement, military leadership has gotten more and more spineless, unwilling to stand up to the CIVILIAN leadership that writes their paychecks.

Like any job, the person who pays the money sets the rules. That's a fundamental truth.

As far as "standing up to the civilian leadership," they teach military history at West Point, Norwich, Annapolis, etc., and lessons like George McClellan and Douglas MacArthur tend to stick.

Regardless, the military of any decade does not resemble culturally the military of any decade that has existed before or after. Pick the decade: 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, etc. or go back to the prior century. It has nothing to do with progression and everything to do simply with change, which is immutable.

Oct 6, 2010, 20:01
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 20:01
Oct 6, 2010, 20:01

Remember when the Hitman team have to apologize for the level that you had to kill Sikhs in one of their holy sites? Then release a new version with the material removed? This isn't the firs time a video game has taken heat for this kind of upset.

Oct 6, 2010, 18:27
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 18:27
Oct 6, 2010, 18:27

Not that i care about polotics, but it is interesting that you allow all the trash, profanity, vulgarity and the like that is posed here but ban people for political views you dont agree with.

This coming from the man who called freedom of speech "perversion?" And you don't care about polotics [sic], but write things like this?:

"HE IS PART OF THE MACHINE. Do a little research. He is one big lie. the guy is every bit out of the same mold as the bush's and clintons,, in fact he is WORSE. because he was hand picked by the eliete for the very tasks he is performing all while feeding everyone a ration of lies they all swollow like baby chicks."

Anyway, if I was banning people for their political views, I would have banned him. My warning was not about the view being expressed, it was about popping in here and dropping political grenades into threads in an effort to derail topics, only to disappear. You have shown a similar tendency with your moralistic scoldings, so if you keep it up and get banned, believe what you want, but it will be because a vast majority of your posts here are off-topic quasi-religious outrage punctuated by name-calling.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Oct 6, 2010, 18:05
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 18:05
Oct 6, 2010, 18:05

Hellbinder wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 17:21:
Not that i care about polotics, but it is interesting that you allow all the trash, profanity, vulgarity and the like that is posed here but ban people for political views you dont agree with.

I don't think off-topic rants about politics or politicians are relevant to any thread on a gaming forum, including this one.

And people get banned for trash, profanity and vulgarity here as well when they're just using it without any point or purpose.

oh really?
Oct 6, 2010, 17:54
oh really? Oct 6, 2010, 17:54
Oct 6, 2010, 17:54

"This was about offending the Taliban (Muslims in general)"

it is widely known that EVERYTHING offends Muslims. They cannot take a joke. They sure don`t like US, but they sure as hell want to be here to take adavntage of what we in the West have created.

I remember my Mil Police buds telling me how the Middle Eastern soldiers would fire at them and then laugh, but when they fired a warning shot way over THEIR heads, they`d get mad and shake their fists at my buds.

I fail to see why WE are having to watch what WE say/do, but THEY can do whateverthef*ck they want, get away with it, and have absolutely no care in the world about offending US. This is a sign of weakness on our part, and we will be hurt for it in the end.

Oct 6, 2010, 17:45
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 17:45
Oct 6, 2010, 17:45

Hellbinder wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 17:21:
Not that i care about polotics, but it is interesting

i think its interesting that you have managed to actually survive with that woefully underdeveloped and obscenely rudimentary level of brain functioning and indulgently narcissistic blindness to all things factual

Oct 6, 2010, 17:24
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 17:24
Oct 6, 2010, 17:24

Tumbler wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 17:12:
They are doing immeasurable damage to their brand with this stupidity. This game is looking like it's more concerned about making people angry than making an enjoyable experience.

Stand by your decisions and say fuck off to your critics. You're trying to establish yourself as a hardcore military action game and with the slightest breeze you buckle and run...man the fuck up.

Next week you'll be shaving the beard off that guy on the front cover because people might think he's muslim. Who am I kidding, it's already a fucking joke that you think this brand can handle that guy on your cover.

Seriously, grow a fucking pair.

Exibit A to my post below.
The Whales name is Bob.

Oct 6, 2010, 17:21
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 17:21
Oct 6, 2010, 17:21

Blue wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 14:26:
It makes me sick who some allowed to be president.

Duly noted. If that again becomes the only thing you post here your new account will be anointed with a ban a lot faster than your old one was.

The Whales name is Bob.

Oct 6, 2010, 17:12
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 17:12
Oct 6, 2010, 17:12

They are doing immeasurable damage to their brand with this stupidity. This game is looking like it's more concerned about making people angry than making an enjoyable experience.

Stand by your decisions and say fuck off to your critics. You're trying to establish yourself as a hardcore military action game and with the slightest breeze you buckle and run...man the fuck up.

Next week you'll be shaving the beard off that guy on the front cover because people might think he's muslim. Who am I kidding, it's already a fucking joke that you think this brand can handle that guy on your cover.

Seriously, grow a fucking pair.

But in reality, I wouldn't shoot anyone at all.
Oct 6, 2010, 16:55
But in reality, I wouldn't shoot anyone at all. Oct 6, 2010, 16:55
Oct 6, 2010, 16:55

This doesn't surprise me. Having played both the closed and open beta, I can honestly say I wouldn't have noticed the change if I hadn't been reading the news here. I'm amazed it seemed to satisfy any critics.

I think what gamers need to speak up against is the idea that playing a character in a game somehow confers approval of his actions. Almost everyone consumes media that has villains; crime dramas, mystery novels, even war movies (if you like to think that one side is good and the other is bad).

What non-gamers don't understand is that playing as these characters does not make you agree with them more, and it certainly doesn't simulate anything. Quite the opposite, games are usually nowhere near as believable or emotionally moving as a movie or a book. And even if they some day get to that level of story telling and realism, we don't think you'll become a psycho if you watch a crime drama or a war movie, playing GTA or MoH is no different.

Oct 6, 2010, 16:34
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 16:34
Oct 6, 2010, 16:34

zirik wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 16:16:

do soldiers still need donated computer equipment to use on their gaming rigs at the bases in afghanistan? i remember they did something similar in iraq.

Depends on the base, and the length of deployment. Possibly at some of the bigger bases like Bagram they might do something like that. On this camp we live in sea containers and share the room with 1-3 other people making desktops less desirable then notebooks considering the space limitations. But check with your local MWR rep. I’m sure any support towards the moral of the troops is appreciated.

Neil
Kabul, Afghanistan

Oct 6, 2010, 16:16
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 16:16
Oct 6, 2010, 16:16

Battlement wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 15:34:
Neil
Kabul, Afghanistan

do soldiers still need donated computer equipment to use on their gaming rigs at the bases in afghanistan? i remember they did something similar in iraq.

Oct 6, 2010, 16:09
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 16:09
Oct 6, 2010, 16:09

Battlement wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 15:34:
This is at most a minor inconvenience. If US personnel want the game they can get sent by family, or stores that ship to APO addresses. Additionally there are more than just US bases here. People from US camps (like Eggers and Phoenix) can easily pop by any number of NATO bases (like KAIA, Warehouse, ISAF HQ) and buy the game. Not to mention that they can get it digitally from sources like Steam (slow but possible). And I give it about two months after release before it shows up for one dollar at the local weekend markets. I don’t know what the big deal is with the “label” of the opposing force anyway.

Neil
Kabul, Afghanistan

Yeah I don't get it either, as to why the big stink over it. If anything, this video game depicts soldiers in a very positive, awe-inspiring light. Just look at how bad ass the Catalyst (linkin park) video is, and the "Tier 1" soldier videos on medalofhonor.com

I think the US Military needs to have a second look at this title; it may be a great recruiting tool. Being able to play as the Taliban is no big deal... we know who the good guys are; gamers arent that stupid.

Oct 6, 2010, 15:34
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 15:34
Oct 6, 2010, 15:34

This is at most a minor inconvenience. If US personnel want the game they can get sent by family, or stores that ship to APO addresses. Additionally there are more than just US bases here. People from US camps (like Eggers and Phoenix) can easily pop by any number of NATO bases (like KAIA, Warehouse, ISAF HQ) and buy the game. Not to mention that they can get it digitally from sources like Steam (slow but possible). And I give it about two months after release before it shows up for one dollar at the local weekend markets. I don’t know what the big deal is with the “label” of the opposing force anyway.

Neil
Kabul, Afghanistan

Oct 6, 2010, 14:28
Rigs

Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 14:28
Oct 6, 2010, 14:28
 Rigs

'It makes me sick who some allowed to be president. No experience, no sense. '

Oh boy, I can see where this thread is headed...

It doesn't matter one bit. Don't think that those that want to play the game won't be able to get a copy. Their friends and families in the states can easily send it out. I seriously have doubts that you would see a game such as this in a Muslim country such as Iraq and Afghanistan, or in the other Middle Eastern bases in Yemen and Saudi Arabia. You honestly think the gov is gonna give those throngs of easily upset Sheiks a reason to start a riot? I mean, just the mention or rumor of desecration of the Koran sent them into hysterics...the situation of there is much more fragile than some of you realize...

=-RIgs-=
Dec 10th, '21 Mayfield EF4 tornado survivor
'Sorry, we thought you were dead.'
'I was. I'm better now.'

Re: Still Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases
Oct 6, 2010, 14:27
Re: Still Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 14:27
Oct 6, 2010, 14:27

^mortis^ wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 11:12:
When I was in the Army, we would've been pissed...although, granted AAFES never had anything in a timely manner, and cheaper prices were available on the economy...so no real loss, anyway.

^m^

thats true. i used to work with people from nexcom and the prices they published are no cheaper than walmart or other discount stores. the only advantage is that its tax free so big items like large LCD screens can make a difference when you buy them at the exchange.

Oct 6, 2010, 14:26
Re: Still No Medal of Honor on U.S. Bases Oct 6, 2010, 14:26
Oct 6, 2010, 14:26

It makes me sick who some allowed to be president.

Duly noted. If that again becomes the only thing you post here your new account will be anointed with a ban a lot faster than your old one was.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older