TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch

Steam News announces that the Steam Wallet is now live, along with in-game transactions, as a new Team Fortress 2 Mann Co. Store is now in business to allow the purchase of in-game items from within the teamplay shooter sequel. They say this is the first of many upcoming Steamworks in-game stores where Steam Wallet funds can be spent, and a new TF2 Mannconomy FAQ explains the new in-game economics. Speaking of economics, Team Fortress 2 is now on sale for 50% off. This also entails a new Team Fortress 2 automatic patch with the following changes.

Team Fortress 2

• Added the Mann-conomy.
    • Added 65 new items (hats, weapons, tools, minigames, gifts, crates).
    • Added the Mann Co. Store & Catalog.
    • Added Trading.
    • Added Item customization.
  • Additional TF2 features
    • Added new auto-team-scramble system:
      • Set mp_scrambleteams_auto to 1 (default) to automatically scramble the teams if the criteria is met
      • Set mp_scrambleteams_auto_windifference to set the number of round wins a team must lead by in order to trigger an auto scramble (default is 2)
    • Updated how Spy disguise targets are selected to more randomly distribute the selections
    • Fixed the FreezePanel background not using the correct color if you were killed by a player or building on your own team
    • Server browser tweaks
      • It will now encourage you to add servers to Favorites or Blacklists after you have a good/bad experience on them.
      • The Server Browser now automatically closes after successfully connecting to a server (opt-out via the Options-Multiplayer->Advanced dialog)
  • Achievement tuning
    • Demoman achievement "The Stickening" changed to 3 from 5.
    • Heavy achievement "Krazy Ivan" changed to 50 from 100.
    • Medic achievement "Consultation" changed to 3 from 5.
    • Medic achievement "Peer Review" changed to 10 from 50.
    • Medic achievement "Placebo Effect" changed to 2 from from 5.
    • Medic achievement "FYI I am A Medic" changed to 1 from 5.
    • Medic achievement "Family Practice" changed to 5 from 10.
    • Soldier achievement "Geneva Contravention" changed to 3 from 5.
    • Scout achievement "Strike Zone" now counts assists.
    • Scout achievements "Fall Classic" and "Foul Territory" are fixed.

Engine (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2:DM)

• Added sv_alltalk to the list of convars that are checked for the sv_tags list.
  • Fixed a model instance crash.
  • Removed engine ConVar "r_ForceRestore"

Other Games

• Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
    • Updated to run on the Orange Box engine with CS:S, DoD:S, and TF2
View : : :
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch
Sep 30, 2010, 15:57
nin
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 15:57
Sep 30, 2010, 15:57
nin

Let's get this out of the way...

OMFG I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY CHARGE FOR THIS STUFF! FUCK VALVE!!!!!ONEONE!!ONE!

I DEMAND A BOYCOTT!

etc, etc...

Sep 30, 2010, 16:05
Verno

Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:05
Sep 30, 2010, 16:05
 Verno

Time will tell how the PC community adopts such things but players so far haven't been willing to embrace it outside of MMO titles so I'm not terribly concerned about microtransactions. I think done right they are a fine way of sustaining a game but there is a large potential for abuse since most people are simply too stupid to weigh money against a time scale.
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Sep 30, 2010, 16:06
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:06
Sep 30, 2010, 16:06

They specifically say that nothing at all changes for the way you can currently get items, and items that are only available for purchase are cosmetic.

If people actually want to give them money for this stuff, more power to them I say

Also nice that community members who make items will be able to sell them and get a cut of the profits.

Sep 30, 2010, 16:17
nin
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:17
Sep 30, 2010, 16:17
nin

The devs are trying to milk people for content! TF2 players people are willing to be nickeled and dimed to death! Some people that post here might even claim they're going to be bent over backwards and taken to town with no lube!

I am outraged, outraged I say!

Sep 30, 2010, 16:18
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:18
Sep 30, 2010, 16:18

Considering the original TF team who originally made QWTF, this is even more of a disgrace than what they've already done with TF2.

I'm sure they will make a lot of money, but seriously, it's amazing how much people can debase and sell out over the space of 15 years or so.

A micro transaction item store in what was originally planned to be a competitive team based FPS? Really? What a shame. They claim the items won't provide any competitive advantage, but that's not even really the point of the game anymore, it seems.

This probably sounds fairly doom and gloom, but back in the day, Quakeworld Team Fortress was basically the greatest FPS the world had ever seen. Flash forward to today, Team Fortress 2 = clownshoes.

Sep 30, 2010, 16:28
Verno

Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:28
 Verno

nin wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 16:17:
The devs are trying to milk people for content! TF2 players people are willing to be nickeled and dimed to death! Some people that post here might even claim they're going to be bent over backwards and taken to town with no lube!

I am outraged, outraged I say!

I will discredit other peoples opinions if I post them first in a loaded setup and mocking tone!!!

Moron.

Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:28

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 16:18:
They claim the items won't provide any competitive advantage
Which is a bunch of bullocks. Have you seen the new item sets?* The odds of getting all of those items to drop, especially the hats, are practically nil. Just because the odds of an item dropping is the same as the Devil dragging Bobby Kotick off to hell (and hence, is at least possible) doesn't make the game fair against people who have never ending wallets and can buy their way to victory.

* Oh yeah, there are now MMO-style item sets where you get a bonus for having a whole set

Sep 30, 2010, 16:30
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:30
Sep 30, 2010, 16:30

This game has just become a clusterfuck of dress-up items for the classes, idling around because the drop system is retarded, and stupid community-made crap that screw up the balance of the game even more. Like why the fuck would I want to craft items in a fucking FPS? If I wanted to decorate my avatar with ridiculous hats I would go play the sims.

I used to love TF2, like 650+ hours of love, but now I have no desire to boot up the game anymore. It's become so bloated with stupid updates.

I hope Walker has a Team Fortress 3 up his sleeve.

Sep 30, 2010, 16:31
PHJF

Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:31
Sep 30, 2010, 16:31
 PHJF

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Sep 30, 2010, 16:33
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:33
Sep 30, 2010, 16:33

Seeing as how my dollars per hour of entertainment for this game is now down to $0.02/hr...I have no problem in fluffing their accounts a little bit if there's something on there I don't want to wait to drop.

Sep 30, 2010, 16:37
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:37
Sep 30, 2010, 16:37

Considering the original TF team who originally made QWTF, this is even more of a disgrace than what they've already done with TF2.

I'm sure they will make a lot of money, but seriously, it's amazing how much people can debase and sell out over the space of 15 years or so.

A micro transaction item store in what was originally planned to be a competitive team based FPS? Really? What a shame. They claim the items won't provide any competitive advantage, but that's not even really the point of the game anymore, it seems.

This probably sounds fairly doom and gloom, but back in the day, Quakeworld Team Fortress was basically the greatest FPS the world had ever seen. Flash forward to today, Team Fortress 2 = clownshoes.

If this makes you feel better, then consider TF2 something totally different, non-related to your beloved QWTF (which BTW is played by a few fellas in a regular basis out there even today and stills free of Valve capitalist claws). Or, you can still grieve and "probably sound fairly doom and gloom".

Sep 30, 2010, 16:56
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:56
Sep 30, 2010, 16:56

frag.machine wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 16:37:
If this makes you feel better, then consider TF2 something totally different, non-related to your beloved QWTF (which BTW is played by a few fellas in a regular basis out there even today and stills free of Valve capitalist claws). Or, you can still grieve and "probably sound fairly doom and gloom".

I do consider TF2 to be basically unrelated to the old school QWTF, and even TFC, and yes some of my old fellow fossils still play QWTF, but it's not the same, obviously. Whining nostalgia aside, TF2 even started out fairly good, and has gradually degraded into the mess we have today.

I'd be angry about it, but I can't have much real hate towards the Valve people when Gabe Newell appears to be eating himself to death. It'd be easier if he was constantly in the news, snorting crystal meth off prostitutes' asses every day or something, laughing uproariously as he rolled around in the millions of dollars he has earned since his freeware mod days.

Oh well, time to play some RTSes and RPGs.

Sep 30, 2010, 16:58
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 16:58
Sep 30, 2010, 16:58

other than some weird-ass giftcard mechanic, why on earth would anyone ever put money into their Steam wallet?

It's like you have cash, which is just as good as money, that you can spend anywhere, and you turn it into shit that you can only spend at one particular store. However, that store also just takes your money in the normal "money" format.

So... profit?

Creston

Sep 30, 2010, 17:03
PHJF

Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 17:03
Sep 30, 2010, 17:03
 PHJF

For the same reason gift cards are so fucking popular?

ZOMG I like you but only enough to restrict your future purchase to a single store.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Sep 30, 2010, 17:12
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 17:12
Sep 30, 2010, 17:12

It wasn't originally QWTF, it was just TF, because we played it in NetQuake, too.

/get off my lawn

Sep 30, 2010, 17:15
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 17:15
Sep 30, 2010, 17:15

Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 16:58:
other than some weird-ass giftcard mechanic, why on earth would anyone ever put money into their Steam wallet?

It's so they can sell giftcards and do microtransactions, like Sony and MS do. There's no other reason. They also earn interest on your money, while you don't.

Sep 30, 2010, 17:16
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 17:16
Sep 30, 2010, 17:16

I logged about 290 hours of TF2 before I stopped playing. I'd normally be happy to return for a major content update, but this one just doesn't interest me.

The only treasure-hunting and set-completing I want to do is in Diablo 3!

Sep 30, 2010, 17:18
Verno

Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 17:18
Sep 30, 2010, 17:18
 Verno

Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 16:58:

It's like you have cash, which is just as good as money, that you can spend anywhere, and you turn it into shit that you can only spend at one particular store. However, that store also just takes your money in the normal "money" format.

So... profit?

Creston

This is probably a precursor to retail steam cards, some people don't have paypal/credit cards. It also allows for the eventual integration of Steam Wallet into third party games so that publishers can monetize PC properties in the same manner that XBL/PSN do, all the while giving Steam a cut. It's quite intelligent from a business perspective but the PC userbase can be very resistant to change.

I logged about 290 hours of TF2 before I stopped playing. I'd normally be happy to return for a major content update, but this one just doesn't interest me.

The only treasure-hunting and set-completing I want to do is in Diablo 3!

Couldn't agree more. When at least half of the announcements I read were about "clown shoes" and such I just stopped caring about TF2. It's too much noise and not enough signal, I couldn't be bothered keeping up on the game anymore.

Sep 30, 2010, 17:21
Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 17:21
Sep 30, 2010, 17:21

bhcompy wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 17:12:
It wasn't originally QWTF, it was just TF, because we played it in NetQuake, too.

/get off my lawn

Omg, I had totally forgotten about netquake... I remember playing Quake DM on that, with a 19.2kbaud data line, thinking I was the shit with my incredibly low 250 ping.

/me shakes his cane arthritically at some meddling kids!

Sep 30, 2010, 17:26
Rilcon

Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 17:26
Sep 30, 2010, 17:26
 Rilcon

I'd only be amazed if people get angry at valve over this. Game has been constantly supported and updated since launch and is quite mod-friendly. Only change I see id the new items will now mostly be slit between the people that pay for them, and the people that somehow spend four or more hours a day playing.
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer