FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller

Sunflex Europe announces they will release the official FINAL FANTASY XIV controller for PC alongside next week's launch of Square Enix's MMORPG. Word is: "The first product of this agreement is the official FINAL FANTASY ® XIV controller for PC, which for the first time brings together the highly rated and technically superior quality of the official PlayStation-licensed PS2 controller from ZeroG and the range of snakebyte’s PS3 controllers to the PC. This state-of-the-art technology brings the efficient and accessible RPG feeling to the PC."
View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller
Sep 23, 2010, 22:55
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 22:55
Sep 23, 2010, 22:55

Wheel and pedal

You do have a point though - if its FFXIV you know, or should know, that its not a real PC-Game. Its a console game made for console controllers, it just runs on the PC.... Been that way for any FF game. (least any i know of)

So yeah, to play this you need that or (a) controller - at least they are upfront about it. Nothing wrong with that, nobody forcing anyone to buy it

Sep 23, 2010, 22:17
Verno

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 22:17
Sep 23, 2010, 22:17
 Verno

I'm sure you two use keyboards for racing titles as well. Analog inputs are perfectly acceptable for a variety of reasons on the PC. In this games case, the entire game is built for a controller. Not using one means you get an inferior experience. I'd suggest that should lead people just not to buy it but unfortunately some people need to learn lessons for themselves.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Sep 23, 2010, 20:58
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 20:58
Sep 23, 2010, 20:58

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 20:48:
Anyone that buys a controller for a PC is off their rocker, bats in the belfry, etc. Keyboard/mouse is so superior in games that it is no contest.

This.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Sep 23, 2010, 20:48
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 20:48
Sep 23, 2010, 20:48

Anyone that buys a controller for a PC is off their rocker, bats in the belfry, etc. Keyboard/mouse is so superior in games that it is no contest.

Sep 23, 2010, 16:20
PHJF

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 16:20
Sep 23, 2010, 16:20
 PHJF

Is this basically an entire game of the "end game" content of FFXIII?

Because that shit fuckin sucked. I got my XIII platinum trophy. If I see one more adamantoise or adamantortoise I'll fucking go supernova.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Sep 23, 2010, 15:15
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 15:15
Sep 23, 2010, 15:15

I can't even remember a single FF game that was PC Gamer approved (control wise) - Square Enix doesn't even know how a kb/mouse look.

Sep 23, 2010, 15:03
Verno

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 15:03
Sep 23, 2010, 15:03
 Verno

Heh, not sure I was focusing on you

How are you unsure? Curtain You literally questioned my personal involvement with the game despite the fact that you've been vague and I've been the one fairly specific in my complaints so far Deal

Sep 23, 2010, 14:52
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 14:52
Sep 23, 2010, 14:52

Verno wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 14:14:
I was referring to you focusing on me instead of addressing the content of my posts. Gaming cred was said mockingly

Heh, not sure I was focusing on you but if you take it that way, it wasn't deliberate.

I guess a little trolling comes with the territory, always have to add just a little bite or why bother?
Kittens!

Sep 23, 2010, 14:14
Verno

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 14:14
Sep 23, 2010, 14:14
 Verno

sauron wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:38:
And the 2 million accounts are for all markets, you didn't specify individual ones and there's really no reason to distinguish anyhow. XIV will be bought by lots and lots of japanese and a bunch of europeans, how well it does over here will depend on reviews and word of mouth.

You were the one who brought up individual markets, that's why I addressed it. That's what Square claims too keep in mind. They have every reason to paint their game as positively as possible.

Not sure I'd hold up WoW as the poster child of MMO design - it does a lot of things right but also oversimplifies too much, I think. Maybe LOTRO would be a better example?

LOTRO borrowed most of its design concepts straight from WoW. I played both games extensively and have no problem saying that either, it's just the truth. Regardless, WoW's innovations aren't related to its difficulties, I agree the game is far too accommodating in many ways and doesn't really challenge the player. That doesn't mean you automatically revert MMO design to 1999 though which is what the two FF MMOs have done so far.

And 'gaming cred'? Lol. Playing video games isn't exactly the best route to credibility and respectability, at least not among adults. And since we're both here posting on a videogame messageboard, I guess that means we're both screwed.

I was referring to you focusing on me instead of addressing the content of my posts. Gaming cred was said mockingly

Sep 23, 2010, 13:48
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 13:48
Sep 23, 2010, 13:48

Ouch, not a good sign. How damn hard is it to just make the UI work fluidly on the PC, every freaking mmog has one?

Friends who played the beta, just quit out of frustration. No way in hell I am paying for this unless it's PC player approved, which looks to be a long ass wait.
‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Sep 23, 2010, 13:38
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 13:38
Sep 23, 2010, 13:38

Verno wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:26:
sauron wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:18:
Did you play it? I tried the beta, but didn't like it and won't be buying it.

If you didn't try the beta and are spouting off based on 'some message boards you frequent', then you're just making yourself look silly.

Of course I played it. I played FFXI for a bit like everyone else way back when and got invited to the FFXIV CB, tried several of the closed beta cycles and the open beta. I don't see you addressing anything I said in there by the way. Attempting to attack my "gaming cred" is a completely transparent topic shift. The game is launching easily six months too early but hey every MMO does that right so who cares if they rip off consumers? The least they could do is give us something other than the typical grind heavy MMO slop that we received almost a decade ago already. They replaced mob grinding with crafting grinds and the generic leves substitute a lot of the story driven content that was the only factors that made the first game unique. That's ignoring the gamepad designed interface and other technical issues that continue to plague the game.

Also, according to Wikipedia, In April 2009, Square Enix announced that the total number of active characters exceeded 2 million for the first time in game history. I suspect that qualifies as big demand. :)

Not in the markets you specified. 2 million accounts with the vast majority being Japanese maybe. I'd be shocked if this game had 500k accounts in a two year period, I guess it depends on how boring the Japanese MMO market is right now and how many PS3 MMO players there are.

You can't drop an MMO in this kind of shape on the world after WoW, sorry. WoW is the Fisher Price MMO in many ways but it also taught some very important lessons, particularly related to making interface accessibility a priority and how to avoid obfuscating the game.

If you did try the beta and made an informed choice, then good for you. I happen to agree that the beta wasn't in very good shape, and while FFXI was fun it was far too much of a grind.

And the 2 million accounts are for all markets, you didn't specify individual ones and there's really no reason to distinguish anyhow. XIV will be bought by lots and lots of japanese and a bunch of europeans, how well it does over here will depend on reviews and word of mouth.

Not sure I'd hold up WoW as the poster child of MMO design - it does a lot of things right but also oversimplifies too much, I think. Maybe LOTRO would be a better example?

And 'gaming cred'? Lol. Playing video games isn't exactly the best route to credibility and respectability, at least not among adults. And since we're both here posting on a videogame messageboard, I guess that means we're both screwed.
Kittens!

Sep 23, 2010, 13:26
Verno

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 13:26
Sep 23, 2010, 13:26
 Verno

sauron wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:18:

If you didn't try the beta and are spouting off based on 'some message boards you frequent', then you're just making yourself look silly.

Of course I played it. I played FFXI for a bit like everyone else way back when and got invited to the FFXIV CB, tried several of the closed beta cycles and the open beta. I don't see you addressing anything I said in there by the way. Attempting to attack my "gaming cred" is a completely transparent topic shift. The game is launching easily six months too early but hey every MMO does that right so who cares if they rip off consumers? The least they could do is give us something other than the typical grind heavy MMO slop that we received almost a decade ago already. They replaced mob grinding with crafting grinds and the generic leves substitute a lot of the story driven content that was the only factors that made the first game unique. That's ignoring the gamepad designed interface and other technical issues that continue to plague the game.

Also, according to Wikipedia, In April 2009, Square Enix announced that the total number of active characters exceeded 2 million for the first time in game history. I suspect that qualifies as big demand. :)

Not in the markets you specified. 2 million accounts with the vast majority being Japanese maybe. I'd be shocked if this game had 500k accounts in a two year period, I guess it depends on how boring the Japanese MMO market is right now and how many PS3 MMO players there are.

You can't drop an MMO in this kind of shape on the world after WoW, sorry. WoW is the Fisher Price MMO in many ways but it also taught some very important lessons, particularly related to making interface accessibility a priority and how to avoid obfuscating the game.

Sep 23, 2010, 13:18
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 13:18
Sep 23, 2010, 13:18

Verno wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:06:
sauron wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 11:33:
I have a bunch of friends that bought the CE for this, and they're already playing it (CE gets you into the servers a week early). They really like it, and say everything is a lot more responsive than in beta (they were all also in the closed and open beta tests). They're having a great time.

It wouldn't be hard to make things more responsive than utter bullocks. The user interface problems goes well beyond simple lag though, the entire menu driven system is built for gamepads. Things like the crafting system are totally unintuitive and obfuscated. Square is so out of touch with MMO design that their response to peoples complaints about crafting was to put a recipe list on their website.

it's supposed to be a lot more relaxed and much less time-intensive than the last one. And it's certain to be a huge seller - big demand in the US plus Japan, Europe, South America and the gulf states.

What demand? Just having a glance around some message boards I frequent, I've seen a lot of "beta sucked, canceling preorder" comments or just plain disinterest in the game. I don't doubt that this game will find an audience of spergelords and masochists but I think it's charitable to call that "big demand". FFXI certainly didn't have it.

Also, according to Wikipedia, In April 2009, Square Enix announced that the total number of active (FFXI) characters exceeded 2 million for the first time in game history. I suspect that qualifies as big demand for FFXI, and there's no reason to think that XIV will be much different.

Finally, wtf is a 'spergelord'? Lol.
Kittens!

Sep 23, 2010, 13:06
Verno

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 13:06
Sep 23, 2010, 13:06
 Verno

sauron wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 11:33:
I have a bunch of friends that bought the CE for this, and they're already playing it (CE gets you into the servers a week early). They really like it, and say everything is a lot more responsive than in beta (they were all also in the closed and open beta tests). They're having a great time.

It wouldn't be hard to make things more responsive than utter bullocks. The user interface problems goes well beyond simple lag though, the entire menu driven system is built for gamepads. Things like the crafting system are totally unintuitive and obfuscated. Square is so out of touch with MMO design that their response to peoples complaints about crafting was to put a recipe list on their website.

it's supposed to be a lot more relaxed and much less time-intensive than the last one. And it's certain to be a huge seller - big demand in the US plus Japan, Europe, South America and the gulf states.

What demand? Just having a glance around some message boards I frequent, I've seen a lot of "beta sucked, canceling preorder" comments or just plain disinterest in the game. I don't doubt that this game will find an audience of spergelords and masochists but I think it's charitable to call that "big demand". FFXI certainly didn't have it.

Sep 23, 2010, 11:33
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 11:33
Sep 23, 2010, 11:33

FFXI definitely had more than its fair share of super-hardcore players that wasted more than 8 hours a day on it, but it also had a big base of more casual players. It will be interesting to see how the new game turns out - it's supposed to be a lot more relaxed and much less time-intensive than the last one. And it's certain to be a huge seller - big demand in the US plus Japan, Europe, South America and the gulf states.
Kittens!

Sep 23, 2010, 11:22
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 11:22
Sep 23, 2010, 11:22

It's a terrible game, but it will have a niche, masochistic crowd that enjoys it.

Sep 23, 2010, 11:21
Verno

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 11:21
Sep 23, 2010, 11:21
 Verno

It attracts a sperglord crowd of basement dwelling shut-ins that unfortunately is a large enough niche to make the game survive. I was criticizing the user interface on the forums awhile ago and some crazy fucking dude started writing up how I didn't play 500 hours of FFXI Dynamis or something. That's the kind of loony who will buy the CE and sleep with the box on his pillow. I don't know how this type of person makes money to afford the game at all but oh well.

It certainly won't be challenging WoW or probably even LOTRO any time soon though precisely because that kind of crowd makes everyone else want to play another game. Also the game itself being terrible and having a user interface from a 2001 PS2 game doesn't help either.

Sep 23, 2010, 11:13
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 11:13
Sep 23, 2010, 11:13

if Final Fantasy XIII was any indication, XIV is going to suck.

Anyone else get the feeling this MMO is going to bomb? (it has IP appeal, so it might live.. but not live well)

Sep 23, 2010, 11:05
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 11:05
Sep 23, 2010, 11:05

Verno wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 10:37:
A user interface so awful that they have to sell a gamepad with it.
They should include this with every game purchase of the PC version. A friend of mine participated in the beta and his horrifying cries in the dark night ... oh, those soul-crushing cries!

Sep 23, 2010, 10:45
Kxmode

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Controller Sep 23, 2010, 10:45
Sep 23, 2010, 10:45
 Kxmode

Freak
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older