Valve Interviews

PC Gamer now offers some interviews conducted during a visit to Valve's headquarters to observe what they are up to. They talk with Gabe, Doug, and Erik about why Valve would want to make a Half-Life movie themselves. They also interview programmer Josh Weier and writer Erik Wolpaw "on their insane Portal 2 ideas." Finally, their interview with Jonathan Sutton discusses why Alien Swarm was a free release: "This is an experiment for Valve to see what would happen if we released a free game, with all of the tools and the SDK, and we could see what results came out of it, how quickly people start using the tools and building things with it. Historically Valve have had great success with mods, from Counterstrike to TF, so this was really something they wanted to encourage, so that’s why we did it for free."
View : : :

Re: Valve Interviews
Sep 13, 2010, 13:04
Dev
Re: Valve Interviews Sep 13, 2010, 13:04
Sep 13, 2010, 13:04
Dev

DivineHoliness wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 10:28:
Lets that that $200 million number from Toy story, what percentage of that number is to pay big name voice talent? 25% 30? I believe Valve could turn out a high quality movie for a fraction of the 200 million price tag on toy story. What fraction who knows, 2nd we have no idea how much of there own money they are putting up for the movie, they will most likely have 3rd party investment for the movie, again depending on the overall budget. Lastly the stinky ness of game movies.. I would suggest to you its not just game movies but all movies out of Hollywood. There is a large percentage of just random crap coming out of Hollywood and if you want to know why just watch the interview of Kevin Smith and his dealing with the superman movie. Basically a outsider like Valve has a better change of making a good movie than anyone coming from the inside.. less baggage.

You think that valve's first time effort is going to be a high quality movie for a fraction of the price of others? I seriously doubt that. I'm sure they could put out a decent movie, but its not going to be cheap to do so.

Even if you are correct about lets say 25% being voice acting, thats $50 million. So lets say valve can do the voice acting part for $5 million using unknown actors. Thats still leaves $155 million of the budget. Not exactly earthshattering savings.

If they get 3rd party investment they will also lose some of the potential return on the movie. So its a trade off.

When I'm talking about game movies I'm not just talking movies in the last few years. I'm talking the last couple decades. Can you think of ANY game movies in existance that were decent and/or made decent bank? I agree that many movies out of hollywood stink, but the percentage of game movies have a much higher stink percentage than other categories from what I've seen.

I'm not convinced that valve has a better chance. Keep in mind that valve can't "patch" a movie after its release (unless they throw in deleted scenes in the DVD). Thats where valve shines, fixing things up that weren't exactly shining examples. Look at L4D1, for months after release it was incredibly annoying to get a game going because of the general crappiness of the lobby system. They finally fixed most of it something like 6 months after release with a patch that said "oops we noticed some calls to the server weren't properly done so they were getting lost". I mean I literally spent 2 hours in a lobby once trying to get a friends game going. And it wasn't unusual to spend 30 mins at a time in other cases. Lobbies would repeatedly try to find a server and fail, and lobbies would get "lost" and valve would stop sending players, and many other fail factors. Valve shines at getting a great looking concept to market, but they fail at the logistics and the polish behind that concept. Once its had time to patch up its often ok.

If they did a movie, I'd expect it to have a great story in the hl2 universe and then fail on logistics, like the voice acting would be so horrible it would nearly ruin the movie experiance, or they'd make the whole thing from a FPS perspective and audiances wouldn't like it.
Date
Subject
Author
Sep 12, 2010Sep 12 2010
Sep 12, 2010Sep 12 2010
Sep 13, 2010Sep 13 2010
Sep 13, 2010Sep 13 2010
Sep 13, 2010Sep 13 2010
Sep 13, 2010Sep 13 2010
Sep 13, 2010Sep 13 2010
Sep 13, 2010Sep 13 2010
  Re: Valve Interviews