Valve Interviews

PC Gamer now offers some interviews conducted during a visit to Valve's headquarters to observe what they are up to. They talk with Gabe, Doug, and Erik about why Valve would want to make a Half-Life movie themselves. They also interview programmer Josh Weier and writer Erik Wolpaw "on their insane Portal 2 ideas." Finally, their interview with Jonathan Sutton discusses why Alien Swarm was a free release: "This is an experiment for Valve to see what would happen if we released a free game, with all of the tools and the SDK, and we could see what results came out of it, how quickly people start using the tools and building things with it. Historically Valve have had great success with mods, from Counterstrike to TF, so this was really something they wanted to encourage, so that’s why we did it for free."
View : : :

Re: Valve Interviews
Sep 13, 2010, 09:43
Dev
Re: Valve Interviews Sep 13, 2010, 09:43
Sep 13, 2010, 09:43
Dev

Making a movie is a TERRIBLE idea for a game company, even one as big as valve. It will suck up a huge chunk of their cash at a very substantial risk, and take it away from their being able to use it for games. Let's call it $100 million for a movie (probably more nowadays for a decent sci-fi flick regardless of if its CGI or not. According to boxofficemojo toy story 2 cost nearly that amount and toy story 3 cost $200 million, if we are talking CGI). Valve could make 3 games for that price.

Its like saying "Hey guys! Lets take all the money we've made and make a single incredibly risky investment that has a very high potential to bankrupt us".
Now its probably NOT all the money they've made, but it would still be a huge chunk that if gone could significantly hamper the companies operations.

And besides that, how many game movies didn't stink? Even if you exclude all the ones made by Uwe Boll which seem to automatically stink (and WTF do companies keep handing him game movies to make anyway? Do they even bother to look at his track record? Random bums off the street could probably do better), there's NOT that many that didn't stink. I can't even think of any off the top of my head although I'm sure a couple/few exist that at least made a bit more than it cost to make the movie.

Edit:
Ah wait I thought of one that didn't stink. Prince of Persia movie. It didn't hold a candle to the story in the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time GAME, but it was a decent action movie. It also didn't make a ton of money compared to production cost. In fact, it would have been a money loser if it weren't for the international sales. And thats WITH known actors and a well known director.
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=princeofpersia.htm

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2010, 10:24.
Date
Subject
Author
Sep 12, 2010Sep 12 2010
Sep 12, 2010Sep 12 2010
Sep 13, 2010Sep 13 2010
Sep 13, 2010Sep 13 2010
Sep 13, 2010Sep 13 2010
Sep 13, 2010Sep 13 2010
Re: Valve Interviews
Sep 13, 2010Sep 13 2010
Sep 13, 2010Sep 13 2010