Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released

The Dragon Age: Origins Website has the release of the new Witch Hunt DLC for Dragon Age: Origins, BioWare's fantasy-themed RPG. The price for the PC edition is 560 BioWare points, which is $7.00 cash money (USD). Here's word on what that'll get you: "The dreaded Archdemon has been slain and the advance of the darkspawn halted by a lone, heroic Grey Warden. The kingdom rejoices, but at least one question remains: what happened to Morrigan? The sorceress joined the Wardens cause, but it is said her true purpose was not revealed until the eve of the last battle. She vanished into the shadows, and while rumors claimed she crossed over the mountains into Orlais no trace of her path could be found. She was never heard from again... until now. Nearly a year has passed since the Archdemon's death, and word has reached the Wardens that Morrigan has returned to Ferelden. She has been sighted in the southern wilderness where she was first encountered. Is it truly her? If it is, then why is she here and what secret does she carry with her? The Warden heads into the forest to find out and tie up this last loose end once and for all."
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released
Sep 7, 2010, 20:28
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 7, 2010, 20:28
Sep 7, 2010, 20:28

2 hours and all recycled areas, for those who care. The Dragon Age DLC has really been amazingly disappointing.

Sep 7, 2010, 21:36
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 7, 2010, 21:36
Sep 7, 2010, 21:36

Is Claudia Black back as Morrigan?

Sep 7, 2010, 22:03
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 7, 2010, 22:03
Sep 7, 2010, 22:03

Based on looking up endings of this on Youtube, I can say Claudia Black is back.

Sep 7, 2010, 22:09
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 7, 2010, 22:09
Sep 7, 2010, 22:09

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 20:28:
2 hours and all recycled areas, for those who care. The Dragon Age DLC has really been amazingly disappointing.

Damn that sucks. They finally started getting the Mass Effect stuff right but Dragon Age has been terrible for DLC.

Sep 7, 2010, 23:03
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 7, 2010, 23:03
Sep 7, 2010, 23:03

I have the feeling this is not because they don't want, or care but rather because the tools the DLC Team has and the time they have simply do not work out

Sep 7, 2010, 23:16
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 7, 2010, 23:16
Sep 7, 2010, 23:16

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 23:03:
I have the feeling this is not because they don't want, or care but rather because the tools the DLC Team has and the time they have simply do not work out

Well there has been a big shift from what they planned to do and what they did based on sales and consumer behavior. I think the original thought was to sell Neverwinter style modules and have the game be a modders paradise, but that never materialized on either front. Either sales were lower than expected or the interest just wasn't there, who knows.

So they switched gears to making a console-focused sequel and DLC got massively downsized.

Sep 7, 2010, 23:41
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 7, 2010, 23:41

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 20:28:

Ugh. EA Nickel and Diming at its finest.

"Us being bought by EA will have no effect whatsoever on our products or anything." - Bioware director/aka EA shill.

Creston

Prez

Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 7, 2010, 23:41
 Prez

Is this one all 1's?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 7, 2010, 23:53
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 7, 2010, 23:53
Sep 7, 2010, 23:53

If you want to stop getting ripped off, stop buying the dlc till they stop making it.

Hell, if gamers banded together and it was organized we could kill this dlc crap pretty quick.
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Sep 8, 2010, 00:09
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 8, 2010, 00:09
Sep 8, 2010, 00:09

The problem is that not all DLC is a rip-off. There have been some absolutely fantastic pieces of DLC made, by several devs, that have been more than worth their money.

It's just that the majority seems to be recycled areas with cookie-cutter stories, sold for the same price as the genuinely awesome pieces that feature entire new areas.

I wonder what the top DLC team feels about the other teams releasing pieces of shit.

Creston

Sep 8, 2010, 01:05
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 8, 2010, 01:05
Sep 8, 2010, 01:05

Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 00:09:
The problem is that not all DLC is a rip-off. There have been some absolutely fantastic pieces of DLC made, by several devs, that have been more than worth their money.

Yeah, there seem to be people who call all DLC a travesty, but there is good stuff... the idea is solid, you just need good content like ANY game or expansion or DLC really.

Support the good stuff, ignore the bad, period.

Sep 8, 2010, 01:26
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 8, 2010, 01:26
Sep 8, 2010, 01:26

Yeah, there seem to be people who call all DLC a travesty, but there is good stuff... the idea is solid, you just need good content like ANY game or expansion or DLC really.

DLC, in theory, can be good. The problem is that it's just so easy to cut stuff out of a game and use it as pre-order DLC, retailer-exclusive DLC, platform-exclusive DLC or post-release DLC. It's much harder to create quality, original DLC.

Sep 8, 2010, 01:45
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 8, 2010, 01:45
Sep 8, 2010, 01:45

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 23:16:
I think the original thought was to sell Neverwinter style modules and have the game be a modders paradise, but that never materialized on either front. Either sales were lower than expected or the interest just wasn't there, who knows.

So they switched gears to making a console-focused sequel and DLC got massively downsized.
Well killing off the forums for a shitty 'social networking' site sure didn't help anything. Players were against it, modders were against it. Listening to customers wasn't with it. Most of the good mods can be found on a nexus(www.dragonagenexus.com) affiliate site. And most modders have avoided the social site like the plague because of the horrid UI and tracking, with a piss poor ability to receive direct feedback from users.

In the end it leaves a bitter taste when the dev who used to listen to customers and be active is neither active, or listening to customers anymore. Plus the DA toolset is just a pain in the ass to work with when it isn't updated for the latest content and patches, you have a good possibility of nuking in game content with your mod. At least bethesda did something right in that regard. Patches don't fudge up mods if you write them in an earlier version. And can be 'fixed' with invalidation and proper load orders.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Sep 8, 2010, 01:51
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 8, 2010, 01:51
Sep 8, 2010, 01:51

Jerykk wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 01:26:
DLC, in theory, can be good. The problem is that it's just so easy to cut stuff out of a game and use it as pre-order DLC, retailer-exclusive DLC, platform-exclusive DLC or post-release DLC. It's much harder to create quality, original DLC.

I think 95% of "OMG THEY CUT IT OUT OF THE MAIN GAME" stuff is hyperbole and false, to be frank. Pretty much every DLC I have ever seen categorized this way was either obviously made after the fact (Mass Effect 2) or so different and unique from the main game that it doesn't matter anyway (Borderlands).

There is no magic moment where it's okay to make DLC. Sometimes I am sure it makes sense to move some team members to it during the polishing phase and sometimes it might not even be considered until after crunch time... team size, budget and all kinds of other things are factors.

The important thing is for the main game to feel complete and for the DLC to be worth the money. With Dragon Age we have a salesman in the main game and add-on content that is short and unoriginal, which means it's a fuck-up all the way around. With Mass Effect 2 we have a complete and long original game without DLC and the main story DLC feels decently long, original and worthwhile. How the same company can fuck one way the hell up and do the other one about perfect is anyone's guess really.

Sep 8, 2010, 01:59
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 8, 2010, 01:59
Sep 8, 2010, 01:59

I think 95% of "OMG THEY CUT IT OUT OF THE MAIN GAME" stuff is hyperbole and false, to be frank.

Sadly, it's not. The vast majority of DLC consists of costumes, weapons, items and/or vehicles that were already finished long before the game went gold. Games like Fallout 3 and ME2 have had more substantial DLC which was most likely still in development after the game went gold. However, such DLC is the exception to the rule.

How the same company can fuck one way the hell up and do the other one about perfect is anyone's guess really.

Different teams with different budgets. I think it's safe to assume that the Dragon Age DLC budget is considerably lower than the Mass Effect DLC budget. Still, it's pretty disappointing that the Dragon Age DLC has been so half-assed, as the setting and characters lend themselves to deeper, more compelling DLC.

Sep 8, 2010, 02:53
Tomas

Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 8, 2010, 02:53
Sep 8, 2010, 02:53
 Tomas

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 01:51:
I think 95% of "OMG THEY CUT IT OUT OF THE MAIN GAME" stuff is hyperbole and false, to be frank.

And yet, games like Mafia II dump out DLC days after release. I sort of agree, but I don't think it's even a stretch to say that for many games DLC content was just stuff they decided not to finish for the core game somewhere during development. Having been there I know how nice it is to just say, fine, let's cut that and release it later as a "patch," which these days means DLC. Only difference is now customers pay for it twice.

For me, the biggest issue I have with DLC is that one or two things almost always seem to happen. In most cases I have already become bored of the game because the DLC took so long to come out (which fights against the point I made above...sort of) and thus, when it does, I don't even care about it anymore. Making this even worse, the DLC is in many cases so meat-free (more guns for ME2 anyone? What the hell guys? Really? Buy guns for a game I already won weeks or months ago? Seriously?) to make me want to jump back into the game I finished months ago.

In the rare cases where the DLC has some meat, I think of it more as an expansion, and in these cases I'm happy. An example would be Borderlands (ok, Moxxi was an exception) where the DLC is cheap, has some actual value to those who still love the game, and actually is for a game that had some long term replayability.

When I finish a game in a day or two I rarely will even consider buying DLC unless it's got a LOT of new stuff. One more side quest, or a new armor...wow, you've got to be kidding.

Sep 8, 2010, 04:28
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 8, 2010, 04:28
Sep 8, 2010, 04:28

Jerykk wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 01:59:
Sadly, it's not. The vast majority of DLC consists of costumes, weapons, items and/or vehicles that were already finished long before the game went gold. Games like Fallout 3 and ME2 have had more substantial DLC which was most likely still in development after the game went gold. However, such DLC is the exception to the rule.

I love how you say opinions like they're facts Jerykk, it makes me all warm inside. You don't know what was done when, and even if a piece of content is done when the full game is does not mean it was originally part of the game and then cut.

Sep 8, 2010, 04:33
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 8, 2010, 04:33
Sep 8, 2010, 04:33

Tomas wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 02:53:
For me, the biggest issue I have with DLC is that one or two things almost always seem to happen. In most cases I have already become bored of the game because the DLC took so long to come out (which fights against the point I made above...sort of) and thus, when it does, I don't even care about it anymore. Making this even worse, the DLC is in many cases so meat-free (more guns for ME2 anyone? What the hell guys? Really? Buy guns for a game I already won weeks or months ago? Seriously?) to make me want to jump back into the game I finished months ago.

Well DLC is made for the big fans of a game. If you played a game, thought it was good but not great and uninstalled it, the DLC is not really for you.

I would never uninstall Mass Effect 2 when I know there might be more DLC coming for instance. I wait with baited breathe for any news of new Mass Effect 2 DLC, let alone releases, because I am so super in love with the game that new content makes me drool with anticipation. Same thing with Fallout 3.

Borderlands? Meh... I wasn't going to buy any DLC and wait for the eventual collection release to be $20 and get them all then, because I wasn't super in love with that game.

Long story short, DLC is not for everyone. If your major complaint is you felt done with the game then I think that just means you didn't like the game enough to be DLC customer more than it means the DLC is wrong in some way.

Sep 8, 2010, 05:02
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 8, 2010, 05:02
Sep 8, 2010, 05:02

You don't know what was done when, and even if a piece of content is done when the full game is does not mean it was originally part of the game and then cut.

Aside from having first-hand experience with how DLC is "created," it seems fairly logical to assume that any DLC that is ready at a game's launch (like the pre-order DLC I mentioned) was in fact finished long before the game went gold. After all, DLC content has to be rated by the various rating boards AND tested by QA AND pass through MS & Sony certification before it can be sold.

What, do you really think that all those Mafia 2 pre-order outfits and vehicles were created at the last minute? You may like the concept of DLC but you'd have to be pretty blind not to see how publishers are exploiting it.

Sep 8, 2010, 05:20
Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 8, 2010, 05:20
Sep 8, 2010, 05:20

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 04:33:
Long story short, DLC is not for everyone. If your major complaint is you felt done with the game then I think that just means you didn't like the game enough to be DLC customer more than it means the DLC is wrong in some way.
DLC isn't for anyone, it's simply an excuse to milk people for more money and try to get them to pay for a game twice, with half the content. Then again if you enjoy having your money taken, for content that should have been in the game in the first place, I'm sure I can sell you a bunch of stuff that should have been with your car. Like buttons, and battery.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer