10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Pre-owned cheats developers
Aug 24, 2010, 15:28
Re: Pre-owned cheats developers Aug 24, 2010, 15:28
Aug 24, 2010, 15:28

From cars to dvds you can...blah blah blah same-old-tired-argument.

Cars aren't really comparable, due to their size, lifespan, problematic disposal, price, etc. If used car sales were banned, there would be tons of abandoned cars all over the place. In addition, car dealers make the bulk of their profit from repairs, not sales. As for DVDs, you can bet your ass that studios would like to see used sales disappear. They just don't have any easy way to make that happen.

Players haven`t proven jack, apart from the fact they decided to pay this much for this particular title. Which otherwise they might have not bought. (yawn)

They've proven that they're willing to pay $50-55 dollars for games that sell for $60 new. I think it's safe to assume that if used copies were not available, they'd be willing to spend an extra $5-10 to buy the games new. For those consumers who only pay up to $10 for used copies, your point is valid. For those thousands of customers who buy used games from Gamestop, your point is invalid.

Screwed, eh? But they already sold this game once.

Flawed logic. A used game can be sold countless times with the publishers only seeing profit from the first sale. Similarly, I could buy a game, then copy it 500 times and sell each copy for $5. But hey, that's fine because the publisher got my one sale, right?

Aug 24, 2010, 14:19
Re: Pre-owned cheats developers Aug 24, 2010, 14:19
Aug 24, 2010, 14:19

It's not difficult to understand

No, not at all. But rather difficult to accept.

Lemme spell out the reason why I say its against all logic: videogame industry (and assorted net denizens)seems to be the only one that has a problem with second hand markets. From cars to dvds you can...blah blah blah same-old-tired-argument.

Now you can argue that its not the same thing till DNF is finally released. I don`t care- because it is. If I buy it I can do whatever I want with it.

With a pirated copy, there's no guarantee that players would have otherwise bought the game. With used sales, players have proven that they're willing to buy the game except they want to get it for as cheap as possible

BS. Players haven`t proven jack, apart from the fact they decided to pay this much for this particular title. Which otherwise they might have not bought. (yawn)

Some will argue that used sales help fund new sales

Some, perhaps, might. Have they, here?

Even if someone uses the money saved from a used sale to buy a new game, the publisher and developer and of the used game still got screwed

Screwed, eh? But they already sold this game once. No matter. You sir, is from the lets-pick-on-some-bits-from-the-post school of thought...serves your purpose and gracefully leads to "dense" conclusion. Therefore it`s more convenient to avoid "Maybe shops should kick back some percentage back to devs, similarly to royalties in music..." proposal of mine...

...if someone is cheap enough to buy used games...
lol, I might be cheap, but that quote sums you up nicely...

Aug 24, 2010, 12:41
Re: Pre-owned cheats developers Aug 24, 2010, 12:41
Aug 24, 2010, 12:41

That whine about used games is truly pathetic, against-all-logic etc... Bitchin about piracy at least has some sense to it.

It's not difficult to understand. Publishers dislike used sales for the following reasons:

1) They see no money from them.
2) They cannot be tracked like regular sales.
3) They result in retailers requesting fewer new copies because they can just keep reselling the used copies they already have.

In many respects, used sales are worse than pirated copies. With a pirated copy, there's no guarantee that players would have otherwise bought the game. With used sales, players have proven that they're willing to buy the game except they want to get it for as cheap as possible. Gamestop's used game business establishes this pretty well. They sell used games for only $5-10 less than new copies yet people eat them up. Each used copy they sell is pure profit because absolutely nothing goes to the publisher.

Some will argue that used sales help fund new sales. The only problem with that logic is that if someone is cheap enough to buy used games, they are more likely to buy more used games instead of new ones because they're cheaper. Even if someone uses the money saved from a used sale to buy a new game, the publisher and developer and of the used game still got screwed.

You can argue about consumer rights all day long but if you really can't understand why publishers and developers dislike used sales, you're being rather dense.

Aug 24, 2010, 06:41
Re: Pre-owned cheats developers Aug 24, 2010, 06:41
Aug 24, 2010, 06:41

Before they were brainwashed into thinking that games industry is-the-new-hollywood (or something) devs tended to concentrate on developing and also enjoying this process a (substantial) bit more.

That whine about used games is truly pathetic, against-all-logic etc... Bitchin about piracy at least has some sense to it.

On the other hand, shops are milking it like no tomorrow with truly unfair trade-in rates. In UK, major operator (CEX) recently wised down and changed from quite-ok rates (about 50% cash or 60%-70% exchange value) to draconian ones. F%$# that, there`s always Amazon.

Maybe shops could should kick back some percentage back to devs, similarly to royalties in music...

Re: Microsoft -Aggressively Investigating- Halo: Reach Leak.
Aug 24, 2010, 02:21
Re: Microsoft -Aggressively Investigating- Halo: Reach Leak. Aug 24, 2010, 02:21
Aug 24, 2010, 02:21

why is microsoft steaming mad at the leak? its a review version that was downloaded from xbox live. it cant contain the entire game can it? unless im out of touch and halo reach has no single player campaign like the previous games in the series.

Re: Evening Consolidation
Aug 24, 2010, 01:01
Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 24, 2010, 01:01
Aug 24, 2010, 01:01

One of the nice things about being a Gamefly customer is that they don't give these codes out to renters, but keep them nicely tucked away in the box for when someone pays to keep it.

That, and the used price for new games is always a better deal than Gamestop's.
NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

Aug 24, 2010, 00:06
Prez

Re: Microsoft -Aggressively Investigating- Halo: Reach Leak. Aug 24, 2010, 00:06
Aug 24, 2010, 00:06
 Prez

Wow. The arrogance of THQ's dev is pretty stunning there. Agree with Creston - it's funny how they whine about being cheated as they cheat the consumer.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Aug 23, 2010, 23:44
Re: Microsoft -Aggressively Investigating- Halo: Reach Leak. Aug 23, 2010, 23:44
Aug 23, 2010, 23:44

I picture Bill Gates' appearance in The Simpsons when he aggressively buys out Homer's internet company "Compuglobalhypermeganet".

Re: Evening Consolidation
Aug 23, 2010, 23:16
Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 23, 2010, 23:16
Aug 23, 2010, 23:16

It's too bad they can't control the supply of new games going into gamestop. Without a supply of new games there is far less reason for new game buyers to trade in week old games for ridiculous credits in return.

Even more disturbing is that publishers are forced to offer all manner of promotional items and specials to this same cursed store that they'd never dream of doing otherwise....because they are such a blight on gaming and all...no way they be offering incentives to buy the game from this retailer one day, then bitching about them the next.

In other news I just got a copy of Split Second Velocity from a nice gentlemen in...somewhere, for a whopping dollar. While it sucks to wait this long there is plenty that devs/pubs can do to make it more appealing to buy these new games rather than wait for used games to reach an acceptable level.

You can drop the price. You can drop the price. And you can drop the price. I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out but your games, vast majority, are horribly overpriced. The reason people take ass tastic deals in trade credits for these games, $25 a day after they bought it for $65 (including tax) should tell you something. That person just paid $40 to play your game for a week. And now he's going to pay $40 to play some other game for a week thanx to that $25 trade credit. You see a common number in there? The net cost of someone doing this is $40. Why do you think that is? Why do you think people keep going back and paying $40 to play your game for a week? They know it's going to cost $65 to get next weeks game, they know they are only getting $25 back when they take the game in, so maybe you should be selling your games new for $40. If they're willing to pay $40 a week to play a game they'll probably just keep them each week rather than trade them or at very least they'll insist on a dollar figure that is worth the trouble, they're not going to take $5 for a new game when they can certainly sell a new game for a $20 bill just standing outside your store for 5 min.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2010, 23:30.

Pre-owned cheats developers
Aug 23, 2010, 21:07
Pre-owned cheats developers Aug 23, 2010, 21:07
Aug 23, 2010, 21:07

And releasing a piece of shovelware shit that's 3 hours long for 60 bucks, features stale gameplay, recycled textures, recycled plotlines, and plain simply doesn't work as advertised, cheats customers.

Funny enough, we never hear the poor devs whine about that.

Creston
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older