More StarCraft II Sales Figures

With StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty sitting atop the UK multi-format sales charts, the first PC-only title to top that list so far this year, MCV points out that Blizzard's real-time strategy sequel has sold more copies in the UK in five days that the original StarCraft has sold over its 12-year lifespan. This is all the more impressive when knowing this is purely based on physical copies, and does not account for digital distribution.
View : : :
83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures
Aug 2, 2010, 14:41
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 14:41
Aug 2, 2010, 14:41

I think it's exactly because of the rise of digital distribution systems that Indies may triumph, because it's easy for them to put a game on sale and get it noticed. Example: Steam. They often publicize a lot of Indie games on the front page.

If there weren't so many digital distribution systems I don't think Indies would even stand a chance.

I think steam is a popular platform for everyone (publishers) because they don't want to invest in their own platform. I think everyone is doing that right now and slowly building it so they can deliver all their games locked behind their platform.

EA will have it's own DD system. (has something in place now)
Activision will have it's own DD system.
Valve already has it's system.
Ubisoft has it's own system*. (I think that online all the time system will be turned into a full DD system)

I think we're going to see a dozen different delivery systems that each publisher runs in house. So instead of going to steam and having all your games there you'll have a few games under this system, a few under that system and everything will be locked down behind those systems. Ie you can't play the game without starting up their system ala steam.

It's only a matter of time really. It takes time and money to invest and build these systems and deal with the bandwidth needs day to day and the big boys don't exactly adjust quickly to the market so for now they're content selling on steam because the start up costs to building a model capable of dealing with all their customers is extreme but each sale they make on steam to them is worse than piracy, it's money going to a competitor.

Aug 2, 2010, 14:28
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 14:28
Aug 2, 2010, 14:28

Tumbler wrote on Aug 2, 2010, 13:15:
I think that Indies may throw a spanner at these plans, Indies are right now the wild card. Whether or not they become a force in the industry however is a guess, it'll depend if more people buy more Indie games and less mainstream ones.

To be honest, if the industry all went Indie, with only Indie developers and no publishers, I for one would love to see that.

With digital distribution systems like steam and battle.net indie developers are going to have a tough time getting noticed. With so much of a gamers time being forced behind these walls it's going to be harder than ever for most indie projects to get a gamers attention. (unless they pay these services to advertise them, which is basically paying your competition...)

I think it's exactly because of the rise of digital distribution systems that Indies may triumph, because it's easy for them to put a game on sale and get it noticed. Example: Steam. They often publicize a lot of Indie games on the front page.

If there weren't so many digital distribution systems I don't think Indies would even stand a chance.

Aug 2, 2010, 14:01
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 14:01
Aug 2, 2010, 14:01

Tumbler wrote on Aug 2, 2010, 13:15:

This all worked because the games that people had installed on their PC's were autonomous. They had everything needed to run on that single PC. I think EA learned real quick how dangerous this was when the 2nd expansion for BF1942 came out (or was it the third?) and it had to compete with modern combat. (mod for bf1942) I completely ignored the expansion, and I imagine TONS of other people did as well, mainly because I was playing the shit out of modern combat.

I'm not sure how much Valve is complaining about selling tons what used to be a free Counterstrike mod.

Also, not sure how much of a detriment it was for the weak Secret Weapons expansion for Battlefield 1942 to "compete" against Desert Combat, if that's what you meant. The team that created Desert Combat was hired by Dice to complete Battlefield 2.

The big boys might not be able to control it, but they can cash in on mods. At least, they have in the past.

Aug 2, 2010, 13:59
Prez

Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 13:59
Aug 2, 2010, 13:59
 Prez

Once you activate the game can you play as a guest forever? You never have to login again?

Bear in mind I've only owned the game for 2 full days, but afaik, yes, you can stay logged out of Bnet. I actually have 2 campaigns going. One, I connect to Bnet as a sort of a test of how the system works. I have a pretty stable connection and still I've lost connection to Bnet 4 times over a span of 8 hours or so. All that happens is a message comes up saying that you will no longer earn achievements and that the game will only save locally. For the other campaign I have never connected to Bnet again beyond the initial activation.

The biggest downside is that once offline, only the guest campaign can be continued. Any game started on Bnet can only be played on Bnet. Just play as a guest (you can have up to 3 campaigns going at once it looks like) all the time and you'll never have a problem.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Aug 2, 2010, 13:53
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 13:53
Aug 2, 2010, 13:53

"I think the term "PC Gaming" has been corrupted. At one point it was turning into a symbiotic relationship between developers and gamers and that whole idea was crushed and this "new normal" "

Dude Tumbler...what the fuck are you talking about? Been hitting the bong a little this morning? Jesus I read that entire post and my brain hurts.

Besides the digital distribution market is the best thing to hit Indie games. They dont have to fight for shelf space in douchebag stores like Gamestop next to the Sims 16 and Xbox Live Arcade and Steam have already produced huge indie hits.

So what the fuck are you talking about?

Aug 2, 2010, 13:36
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 13:36
Aug 2, 2010, 13:36

I waited to buy the game until I was sure that it could be played without being connected to Bnet. In truth, as long as you can live with having no achievements and cloud saves, the only real DRM is the online activation. I've seen MUCH worse. I'll probably never touch multiplayer - I only ever played the original co-op over a LAN.

Once you activate the game can you play as a guest forever? You never have to login again?

I used a trial account and I definitely cannot play as a guest, I have to login each time. I'm assuming that logged in at least one time to activate your game, then can you basically play the game anytime you want on that system as a guest? (without Internet?)

Aug 2, 2010, 13:27
Prez

Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 13:27
Aug 2, 2010, 13:27
 Prez

I waited to buy the game until I was sure that it could be played without being connected to Bnet. In truth, as long as you can live with having no achievements and cloud saves, the only real DRM is the online activation. I've seen MUCH worse. I'll probably never touch multiplayer - I only ever played the original co-op over a LAN.

As far as the game, all I can say is I can't remember the last time a RTS kept me enthralled for this long. They may not be timely with their releases, but boy howdy can Blizzard make 'em!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Aug 2, 2010, 13:15
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 13:15
Aug 2, 2010, 13:15

I think that Indies may throw a spanner at these plans, Indies are right now the wild card. Whether or not they become a force in the industry however is a guess, it'll depend if more people buy more Indie games and less mainstream ones.

To be honest, if the industry all went Indie, with only Indie developers and no publishers, I for one would love to see that.

With digital distribution systems like steam and battle.net indie developers are going to have a tough time getting noticed. With so much of a gamers time being forced behind these walls it's going to be harder than ever for most indie projects to get a gamers attention. (unless they pay these services to advertise them, which is basically paying your competition...)

PC gaming got really exciting around the time of BF1942 in my opinion because sites like file-planet made it possible for people to find mods for a variety of games and this gave a lot of attention to these mod groups and gamers got a lot of choices in content that they never had before. These sites also were a point where indie developers could upload games and demos and such for people to find.

This all worked because the games that people had installed on their PC's were autonomous. They had everything needed to run on that single PC. I think EA learned real quick how dangerous this was when the 2nd expansion for BF1942 came out (or was it the third?) and it had to compete with modern combat. (mod for bf1942) I completely ignored the expansion, and I imagine TONS of other people did as well, mainly because I was playing the shit out of modern combat.

Stepping back from any specific game, pc developer/publishers have decided that allowing the software to run locally 100% gives the end user too much control. The end user can share the game with others, modify it and create new content that they can share with others, improve it, even make illegal copies and share those. Most of these don't make any money for the developers/publishers. Creating new content that is accessible to everyone could end up with more people purchasing the game but 3/4 of the examples do the opposite. ("improving" the game basically seperates people from the developer as they can't control where people get the updates, etc.)

I think the term "PC Gaming" has been corrupted. At one point it was turning into a symbiotic relationship between developers and gamers and that whole idea was crushed and this "new normal" version of pc gaming is standing there claiming to be the same thing, just newer. It's like they cloned the industry and murdered the real thing. It's fucking sad and a lot of people are all too happy to love this imposter like it's the real thing.

Aug 2, 2010, 12:54
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 12:54
Aug 2, 2010, 12:54

Otherwise people seem happy in accepting the DRMs.

They can't be that happy about it. Assassin's Creed 2 is only $15 now: Link

Aug 2, 2010, 12:44
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 12:44
Aug 2, 2010, 12:44

Tumbler wrote on Aug 2, 2010, 12:35:
Can't remember who said it, Chris Taylor?, but he said:

PC gaming as we know it is dead. Secure gaming is the way of the future.

I keep hearing those words when I read the idiot DRM schemes that consumers keep having to deal with to play PC games. I recall everyone scoffed at him for saying it at the time.

Seems it's the norm today and people are "fine" with it. And I think I misunderstood the PC gaming market when I initially thought that these schemes would be rejected. I did not consider that a gamer with a PC means they have considerably more money to spend on gaming than your average console owner. And those are dollars that have not been exploited from them in the past so it's simply the laws of supply and demand taking over. PC gamers can afford to pay more for games so companies are going to charge more.

These systems are starting to be incorporated into the console side as well and I'm interested to see how sales are affected. I think madden 11 will be one of the first big tests.

EDIT: And I'm with you, I thought the DRMs would be rejected. The only rejected seems ubiDRM which may have crossed the line for maany. Otherwise people seem happy in accepting the DRMs.

Aug 2, 2010, 12:39
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 12:39
Aug 2, 2010, 12:39

I dont belive Chris Taylor ever said that. I know its been said but I know he didnt say it.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Aug 2, 2010, 12:35
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 12:35
Aug 2, 2010, 12:35

Can't remember who said it, Chris Taylor?, but he said:

PC gaming as we know it is dead. Secure gaming is the way of the future.

I keep hearing those words when I read the idiot DRM schemes that consumers keep having to deal with to play PC games. I recall everyone scoffed at him for saying it at the time.

Seems it's the norm today and people are "fine" with it. And I think I misunderstood the PC gaming market when I initially thought that these schemes would be rejected. I did not consider that a gamer with a PC means they have considerably more money to spend on gaming than your average console owner. And those are dollars that have not been exploited from them in the past so it's simply the laws of supply and demand taking over. PC gamers can afford to pay more for games so companies are going to charge more.

These systems are starting to be incorporated into the console side as well and I'm interested to see how sales are affected. I think madden 11 will be one of the first big tests.

Aug 2, 2010, 12:30
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 12:30
Aug 2, 2010, 12:30

Ruffiana wrote on Aug 2, 2010, 12:25:
Yeah, all you have to do to have a great selling PC game is be a top-tier developer with a dozen or so hit games, practically limitless self-funding, and put out a sequel to one of the world's most popular, genre defining games that's you've been working on for almost 11 or 12 years.

Or perhaps just make a good PC game?

Won't sell as much as this, if it sells, but I'm willing to bet if more PC games had a high standard of quality maybe sales would be higher.

Aug 2, 2010, 12:25
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 12:25
Aug 2, 2010, 12:25

Yeah, all you have to do to have a great selling PC game is be a top-tier developer with a dozen or so hit games, practically limitless self-funding, and put out a sequel to one of the world's most popular, genre defining games that's you've been working on for almost 11 or 12 years.

Aug 2, 2010, 12:11
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 12:11
Aug 2, 2010, 12:11

Creston wrote on Aug 2, 2010, 11:53:
ASeven wrote on Aug 2, 2010, 11:47:
At this point I'm not really sure if this being a single hit on the PC market is having that much impact as the sales numbers keep coming out. At the very least I expect publishers to at least be looking at the PC market in a different way, even if slightly, after SCII.

To be honest, I'm more worried about publishers looking at this and going: "See?! We need a similar system to battle.net for every game! Gamers obviously want Facebook and RealID!!"

:|

Exactly, that's my fear as well, that's why I said that if anything comes out of this I have no idea if it'll be a good thing or a bad thing for the PC market. More than likely a bad thing as we all know how publishers act.

Aug 2, 2010, 11:53
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 11:53
Aug 2, 2010, 11:53

ASeven wrote on Aug 2, 2010, 11:47:
At this point I'm not really sure if this being a single hit on the PC market is having that much impact as the sales numbers keep coming out. At the very least I expect publishers to at least be looking at the PC market in a different way, even if slightly, after SCII.

To be honest, I'm more worried about publishers looking at this and going: "See?! We need a similar system to battle.net for every game! Gamers obviously want Facebook and RealID!!"

Creston

Aug 2, 2010, 11:48
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 11:48
Aug 2, 2010, 11:48

I'm glad it is selling well. IMHO, it is a great game, and I am enjoying my second playthrough, this time on "hard" setting. Quite a bit more intense.

I'll be buying the next 2 episodes as well.

Aug 2, 2010, 11:47
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 11:47
Aug 2, 2010, 11:47

However if we're ever going to see anything out of this, and if it's anything good to begin with, is unknown.

Aug 2, 2010, 11:42
nin
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 11:42
Aug 2, 2010, 11:42
nin

MCV points out that Blizzard's real-time strategy sequel has sold more copies in the UK in five days that the original StarCraft has sold over its 12-year lifespan.

Holy shit..

That was my exact thought!

Aug 2, 2010, 11:41
Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 11:41
Aug 2, 2010, 11:41

Yeah, but it's over the entire 12-years lifespan of the game. And not counting digital sales.

So... This must be making heads turn by now, I think sales may be above expectations.
83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older