Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Evening Mobilization

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Why the iPad hasn't killed Kindle: Jul 28, 2010, 11:43 Fion

Yes if you are looking to buy an e-reader, you should 'not' be including the Ipad in the list of possibilities simply because while it 'can' work as one fairly decently, it just isn't as good as other far cheaper competition.

On a personal level I bought a Kindle for my mother two Christmas' ago and she loves it. Books are cheaper and the kindle is easy to use, light weight and the 'virtual ink' is very light on the eyes. I hear complaints about black and white only but besides the cover slip of most hardcover books don't feature anything in color. I've actually read a good bit on her Kindle and while I am a book lover with hundreds of books, most of them hard-cover and having read everyone one of them at least once, I can say I enjoyed reading on the Kindle. I don't know if I prefer it, but I know my mother does now that she has her Kindle.

But what is even more interesting is that my mother isn't even the one who uses it the most. My ninety year old grandmother has fallen in love with the device. She has lost her fine sight and can barely watch the television let alone read a book and she loves her Amish books. Mom will often grab a few in a series of Amish stories, often for a few bucks a pop and plug in the head-phones and gram will listen for hours. Now mind you can do the same with books on tape but the Kindle is much easier to set up with no tape flipping and the audio quality is very good.

So I heartily recommend the Kindle, especially now that the price is lower (I paid $300 for my mothers lol).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Why the iPad hasn't killed Kindle: Jul 28, 2010, 09:21 kanniballl

As an e-Reader, there is no comparison. Price, screen, battery life, and I'm sure a bunch of other categories goes to the Kindle (and other similar devices). I consider getting one from time to time, but prefer physical books when reading.

The only nice thing about the iPad is its non e-Reader capabilities. It's a decent tablet for browsing the web, doing basic tasks, and has a bunch of cool little apps. Personally I'd rather get a cheap laptop for that price, but I can see how it appeals to some.

I got an iPhone last year, and since then it's actually offloaded some of my browsing tasks from my PC. I can sit in the family room, pick the thing up, and quickly look up something on the web, check the weather, see who an actor is on IMDB, etc. Obviously for anything major, or even writing emails, I go to my PC.

Even if I didn't have an iPhone, I still wouldn't get an iPad.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 28, 2010, 07:41 shponglefan

AngryMax wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 06:07:
The difference is in the function, correct me if i am wrong. Why would i want to buy iPad and strain my eyes when i can read kindle which is sharper and has better properties than printed paper?

Agreed. I'm amazed that so many people thought the iPad would somehow compete with the Kindle as an e-Reader given the fact the iPad uses an LCD.

Then throw in size/weight, battery life, cost, etc, and it's really no comparison at all.

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 28, 2010, 06:07 AngryMax

The difference is in the function, correct me if i am wrong. Why would i want to buy iPad and strain my eyes when i can read kindle which is sharper and has better properties than printed paper?

Reading on backlit monitor sucks. Apples and oranges here.

1. Why the iPad hasn't killed Kindle: Jul 27, 2010, 17:52 Creston

Kindle : $189
iPad : $799

Seems fairly straightforward?

Creston

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >