Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing

Today is launch day for StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Blizzard's real-time sequel that's been a dozen years in the making (or waiting, at least). There is a Known Issues - Technical Support related list and a Current list of bugs on the StarCraft II Forums outlining issues with the game (thanks Big Download). Also, since there turns out to be no option within the game to activate anti-aliasing, there's a post on PC Games Hardware explaining how to turn this on in the control panel for NVIDIA graphics cards. As there is no corresponding option for ATI owners, they have word from ATI on why, saying: "third parties found that 4x AA led to a reduction in fps rendering at lower screen resolutions, which only became more noticeable at larger resolutions. After evaluating our options, our engineering team opted not to provide AA support for StarCraft II within the Catalyst Control Center, even though the competition has included AA support in their driver at launch. We are committed to making AA perform at an acceptable level before we release it to our customers. We will continue to work with Blizzard on this matter and hope to offer our customers an acceptable AA solution at a later date." On a related note, PC Perspective has an article on this topic that includes benchmarks for NVIDIA accelerators showing what sort of performance hit this entails. On a semi-related note, there is a StarCraft II Q&A with Blizzard's Rob Pardo on USATODAY.com discussing the game in general terms.
View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

28. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 14:04 Kajetan

Rhett wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 14:00:
Dunno why people are so obsessed about it.
Because your tastes are NOT the center of the universe and AA is kind of a standard for PC games?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 14:00 Rhett

Never really liked using AA due to the drastic performance hog it can become. Even when my computer was above and beyond said games, it wasn't necessary. Played the beta nearly maxed, it still looked fantastic without AA on a high resolution. Dunno why people are so obsessed about it.

26. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 13:53 MeNameisMUD

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 11:49:
No, I'm complaining that Blizzard isn't actively supporting anti-aliasing in SC2. In 2010, for a AAA title from a major developer that is inexcusable.

I just wanted to clear up a misconception...

SC2's rendering engine is what they call a defered renderer. More and more developers are using this technique because it simplifies the renderer and minimizes shader bloat (among other things).

It is NOT possible to support AA natively in a defered renderer using DX9 (which SC2 is). the only real option is control panel AA or moving to DX10/11.

25. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 13:32 Tumbler

The battle.net website lets you download and install this game without ever paying for it. That is kind of cool. You even get to watch the intro and see the main menu screen. Didn't notice if there was a graphical test to rate my hardware. I got the "below minimum specs" message but it still let me install. AA have never interested me so I'm surprised anyone is so upset about it. With a game running at 1920x1080 graphics (in general) look fantastic, I don't think I have good enough eye sight to see the jaggies at that res...I guess I have built in AA in my eyes...

There is a box to click that says play as a guest on the front screen, but it says you need a SC2 character (which I assume you get once you register a copy of the game) and it mentions offline mode...

Can someone explain that option? Once you register your game and get your account setup, that link would let someone else jump in and play the game who is not you? (on your computer?) If that is the case is this just so that someone else doesn't mess with your stats or something? Seems like it would be easier to just let a friend start a new game and forget the whole registering a guest account thing.

Has anyone used this option?

24. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 13:30 RenownWolf

Bumpy wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 13:03:
Ferrari with only an automatic transmission.

Funnily enough this has been brought up in the car world, and has been mentioned to be likely in the future. How things can change =)

23. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 13:21 Flo

I got another bug: like... I cant play the fucking game because it says there is no Starcraft 2 licence linked to my battle.net account, while my browser sits in the background showing SC2 account status "active"....
Give me steam over this crap any day ...

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

22. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 13:09 Kajetan

Bumpy wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 13:03:
Maybe anti-aliasing will come later as a DLC for $5. <rollseyes>
Nice idea but no. Dropping AA is the NEW PC GAMING. Not the old one, with all its complicated features, confusing people and demoralising them when turned on. No, this is the new PC gaming. Everything isa perfect and it has to be, because Blizzard has done it, therefore ...

21. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 13:03 Bumpy

So pathetic is the PC gaming situation when a major AAA PC company can't even support their platform properly. It's like making a Rolls-Royce with cloth seats or a Ferrari with only an automatic transmission.

Maybe anti-aliasing will come later as a DLC for $5. <rollseyes>

20. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 13:01 Dades

Krovven wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 12:49:
I'd find it hard to believe that anyone can see the difference in Starcraft 2, running 1920x1080, with anything but a perfectly still screen.

I'll check it when I get home tonight, since I have an nVidia card. But I certainly didnt see the need for AA last night, never even crossed my mind...and I ALWAYS have AA enabled in FPS games.

That's your opinion and thats cool but I'm turning it off and on right now, I definitely see the difference at 1080p. I dont think it makes or breaks the game but its noticeable and Blizzard had a long development time to implement a fairly trivial graphical feature.

19. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 12:57 DaHauns

Krovven wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 12:49:
I'd find it hard to believe that anyone can see the difference in Starcraft 2, running 1920x1080, with anything but a perfectly still screen.

Erm, especially with high resolutions and polycount AA (or rather lack thereof) will be mainly noticable in motion. That's the nature of aliasing.

18. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 12:54 PHJF

Yeah, why bother with AA? And what's the deal with stencil shadows. And who needs anisotropic filtering. Pixel Shaders? Please. And a third dimension is COMPLETELY unnecessary. Games managed for YEARS with a mere two!

In fact, who needs graphics at all? I say use the spaceship of your imagination! StarCraft III had better be text-based.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 12:49 Krovven

I'll check it when I get home tonight, since I have an nVidia card. But I certainly didnt see the need for AA last night, never even crossed my mind...and I ALWAYS have AA enabled in FPS games.

16. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 12:25 The Pyro

Funny, I've become accustomed to manually disabling AA in newer games. The visual difference to me is minimal, while the performance gains can be huge.  

15. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 12:25 Dades

My question is...of the people bitching below, have any actually played Starcraft 2? The game doesn't need AA. Hell you, you could see this simply by looking for high res screenshots on Google.

AA simply isnt needed when the majority of your straight edges are 2 or 3 8th of an inch long on screen at most.

Some people are perfectly content playing at low resolutions with low settings and other people want all of the eye candy, what's the problem? Blizzard had a long time to implement it after all. Having it played with and without AA, I can see the difference and I agree its not mind blowing but its noticeable.

14. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 12:24 StingingVelvet

Stanly Manly wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 12:09:
Typical BluesNews vitriol in the forums. No AA? Would anyone even notice if they hadn't said anything? So change yer tampons and get over it. I'm sure that in some past posts, all the people who are here complaining about no AA, have said they value gameplay over graphics.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Uh... yes, I would notice. It's pretty obvious and I don't have vision problems.

13. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 12:10 Krovven

My question is...of the people bitching below, have any actually played Starcraft 2? The game doesn't need AA. Hell you, you could see this simply by looking for high res screenshots on Google.

AA simply isnt needed when the majority of your straight edges are 2 or 3 8th of an inch long on screen at most.

12. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 12:09 Stanly Manly

Typical BluesNews vitriol in the forums. No AA? Would anyone even notice if they hadn't said anything? So change yer tampons and get over it. I'm sure that in some past posts, all the people who are here complaining about no AA, have said they value gameplay over graphics.

Move along, nothing to see here.

11. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 11:58 4D-Boxing

Dades,

Thanks for reminding people of this old fix.
It applies to any title with the same issue and there are tools that can help fine tune AA for all card manufacturers once the fix has been applied.

Yes, there should be support out of the box but we are PC gamers we can even add widescreen support and adjust FOV when we need to. As a community we are more resourceful than any developer!

10. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 11:49 Mr. Tact

No, I'm complaining that Blizzard isn't actively supporting anti-aliasing in SC2. In 2010, for a AAA title from a major developer that is inexcusable.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 11:40 Beamer

So ATI didn't release buggy drivers... and some of you are complaining?

If they had released buggy drivers... some of the same of you would STILL be complaining.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >