Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 12:30:
This definitely won't be a CRPG, given that it's being developed for consoles too and they're emphasizing "fast-paced, graphically stimulating action combat experience with fluid control." It'll likely be an action/adventure game with RPG elements.
I take issue when you say games like this aren't CRPGs. I'm an old school RPG gamer and I consider Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age, KOTOR, Fallout 3 and so forth all very fun RPGs. Let's look at what all of these that I would consider a CRPG:
1. They all have moral choices you must make.
2. They all have NPCs who react to things you do in the game.
3. Your character in all of them grow in power and abilities.
4. Your character is designed by you.
5. They all have highly developed story and setting.
6. They all task your character with saving the world (or universe if you played Mass Effect).
7. With the exception of Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 2 they all featured large worlds to explore.
8. They all feature loot throughout the game world that can be collected.
Is your contention that they're not CRPGs related to the growing trend that you can't explore an open world as was the case in DAO and ME2?
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf