Blizzard on Real ID

Blizzard tells Gamasutra they are "definitely listening to player feedback" about Real ID, and the recent revelation that this would require the use of "real names" to post to the StarCraft II forums (though they admit that any name can be registered, though it will be associated with your unique CD key). So far the outcry from fans would indicate the program is not receiving the reception they hoped for: "Real ID is a new and different concept for Blizzard gamers -- and for us as well -- and our goal is to create a social gaming service that players want to use." In any event, it doesn't sound like they are reconsidering the plan, as they explain its optional nature. "It's important to note that both enabling Real ID in game and posting on the official Blizzard forums are completely optional," the Blizzard rep said. "Players can continue to read the forums anonymously regardless of whether they choose to post in them, and their gameplay experiences will not change if they choose not to use the Real ID communication features in game."
View : : :
149 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Blizzard on Real ID
Jul 8, 2010, 09:28
nin
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 09:28
Jul 8, 2010, 09:28
nin

Not only that, but you can choose an alias, no one is forcing you to use your real name.

I tried last night and you can't modify it on an existing account.

Jul 8, 2010, 09:22
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 09:22
Jul 8, 2010, 09:22

Thanks to Warhammer 40K I can really care less about SC2.

Jul 8, 2010, 09:21
Verno

Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 09:21
Jul 8, 2010, 09:21
 Verno

Your first and last name aren't written on the back of your car, allowing that crazy guy to look up your address and hunt you down though. No offense Prez but poor analogy(are car analogies ever good?). People who don't care about their privacy don't care about this, that's no shock but surely you see can see the implications it has for people that do I would hope.

And again this has no beneficial properties whatsoever for the customer. It's serving Bobby Koticks attempts to milk the Facebook crowd, nothing more. Bobby has enough money guys, he doesn't need your support.
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Jul 8, 2010, 09:12
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 09:12
Jul 8, 2010, 09:12

Personally I'm more worried about the guy in the car behind me who thinks I cut him off, or am going to slow, or I looked too long at him. Road rage is a lot more likely to get you hurt than Starcraft rage.

If I worried about all the crazy shit that crazy people could do at any given moment on any given day, I'd probably never leave the house. Come to think of it, I would probably prefer that...
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 8, 2010, 08:34
Verno

Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 08:34
Jul 8, 2010, 08:34
 Verno

It's not really optional though. "Turn on this shitty feature or never be allowed to post on our forums" which include things like Customer Service, Feedback and Technical Support isn't terribly optional. I've read that it automatically spiders your RealID list with anyone you happen to add to boot.

Saying stuff like "well dont buy the game then" isn't helpful, you're just trying to shut down discussion because your opinion differs. Duh, of course people are going to vote with their wallet. They don't want to be forced to do so because they love Blizzard products and they're trying to show Blizzard that this is a horrible idea.

Any situation where your company is forcing something undesirable on the customer isn't a good one. Jesus, some of you will white knight something like this then have the nerve to call me a corporate shill, LOL. There is nothing good about this whatsoever for the consumer, it can only be a negative.
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Jul 8, 2010, 08:24
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 08:24

Luke wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 05:42:
Welll gz to you mr Inblack ?
i do think peps would be giving a shet because it will not stop here

you see , what will be the next , give them a finger and they pull you in , so all i say is let games be games and privacy be privacy ,

we have been told for years to take care about our personal info when surfing the net , and now were peps more and less ( well some i see) don't give a shet about that they flush you with all they can ,

implanting faceshet into games because peps are to lazy to pick up there new iphone to CALL your freind ,

now real name into forums were scammers just wait to get it easyier , 1 real name , 1 login email , and here we go. if blizz get through with this you just wait and see what will happen to other games

Like I said chill....The whole point of RealID is that its optional....No one is forcing it down your throat. If you dont want to use it....then dont. Not only that, but you can choose an alias, no one is forcing you to use your real name.

It works like a secure version of facebook. Other than your alias, no one will see your personal information that you dont want them to see. Obviously Blizzard will have the info, but in todays world there is very little privacy anyway. Anyone who thinks differently is very naive.

And finally if you or anyone else still dont like it for WHATEVER paranoid or other reason, then simply dont buy the game. Vote with your wallet.
I have a nifty blue line!

Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 08:24

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 08:21:
[As for "most people playing WoW are downright fucking insane": I completely agree. I'm insane too. But I'm also well-mannered.

I mean the bad kind of fucking insane.

Jul 8, 2010, 08:21
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 08:21
Jul 8, 2010, 08:21

ASeven wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 08:03:
Agree with Beamer here. People are assuming the principle that most, if not all, people on those forums are sane and well-mannered. I think the opposite is the truth, most people playing WoW are downright fucking insane.

There have been more than a few cases worldwide of gamers killing gamers because of stupid shit. WoW players aren't exactly known to be the most sane players in the world and I do hope that nothing truly dreadful happens from this.

I haven't read this whole thread yet. No time! But I guess this is about what can happen if people know eachother's first and last names? From the moment Real ID came out I couldn't fathom how this assault on privacy and anonimity could ever be accepted. Everyone in WoW now knows that my name is Vincent Poppelier. I don't care but I'm sure many do and I completely understand.

As for "most people playing WoW are downright fucking insane": I completely agree. I'm insane too. But I'm also well-mannered.

Add/Edit: Damn! I typed in my name in google and the first freaking page is ME! That IS scary! Damn, from now on I'd best be very very very VERY sweet to other WoW players.

Seriously though, what ASeven wrote.. many do have personality issues. It is NOT AT ALL UNLIKELY that if I piss another Dutch player off bigtime, he might wanna get me. Think about it.. have you never played an online game where somebody pissed you off so extremely much that you thought or said something similar to: "If he was my neighbor I would've [fill in your sick thoughts here]"? I know I have. I know my cousin has. I know my friends have. I know many people in general have. Will I ever truly do so? Of course not. But there indeed are those out there who definitely would.

Also: Don't forget that WoW people playing on the same server tend to live relatively close to eachother. Two years ago I met someone in WoW who literally lived 5 minutes away from my house. He's become a friend, however.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2010, 08:33.
Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

Jul 8, 2010, 08:14
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 08:14
Jul 8, 2010, 08:14

lol. People tell me they don't believe this is my real name. Not that I'd play WOW anyhow...

Jul 8, 2010, 08:03
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 08:03
Jul 8, 2010, 08:03

Agree with Beamer here. People are assuming the principle that most, if not all, people on those forums are sane and well-mannered. I think the opposite is the truth, most people playing WoW are downright fucking insane.

There have been more than a few cases worldwide of gamers killing gamers because of stupid shit. WoW players aren't exactly known to be the most sane players in the world and I do hope that nothing truly dreadful happens from this.

Jul 8, 2010, 07:37
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 07:37
Jul 8, 2010, 07:37

Who cares about being an ass in forums?

Remember a few weeks back when some kid was arrested for plotting the death of another kid based on "killing his avatar in CounterStrike?"

Now imagine playing Diablo 3 or StarCraft 2. You beat a guy badly in SC2, or maybe in Diablo 3 someone PKer kills half your party then you slaughter him and take his items. Nothing really out of the ordinary. But this is battle.net, and you're put into a game with random people, and it turns out to be someone completely deranged. He gets your name. Maybe he doesn't do anything crazy, but he finds some way to harass you. He orders dog poop shipped to your house, or he calls at 4am every day for a week. Still a huge hassle. And all you did was play a game better than he did.

This isn't comparable to Facebook, where you only interact with those you already know and choose to. This is a video game matchmaking service.

Whatever. Right now it's optional. I can't imagine legal forcing it. They should be terrified (100% this is the devs idea.) And there's no way they can stop you from using fake names, so I'll just do that with Diablo 3. I'll register as John Birshire...

Jul 8, 2010, 06:28
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 06:28
Jul 8, 2010, 06:28

you have a button TheDrifter73 that prevent you for using your info into something nasty , tho in the real world there are peps who don't have that button(to say : i will not harasm him/her in real life , and what will happen there , i ask ? , call me paranoid, but i pref beeing that and protect my privacy on the net , we have heard about peps getting killed for a ingame sword , peps getting kicked down because they were assh in forums , and with this real name ....well it a shame

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2010, 06:34.

Jul 8, 2010, 06:15
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 06:15
Jul 8, 2010, 06:15

TheDrifter73 wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 01:49:
An ass is an ass regardless of whether you know their real name or not. I spent a few years in a business interacting with customers where I knew their name, address, phone number, and various other pieces of information. Had I wanted to, I could have driven up to their house, knock on their door, and spoken to each family member by name. And yet, even with them knowing this, many were STILL jerks.
At most, this will cause the paranoid ones to back off in the forums, but as for making the forums totally "different" nope, I doubt it.
In any case, my comment was meant to be partially in jest.
I did mean the part about WoW forums posters being insane though.
Batshit insane.

too bad this has nothing at all to do with cleaning up their forums and everything to do with their announced facebook deal.

Jul 8, 2010, 05:42
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 05:42
Jul 8, 2010, 05:42

Welll gz to you mr Inblack ?
i do think peps would be giving a shet because it will not stop here

you see , what will be the next , give them a finger and they pull you in , so all i say is let games be games and privacy be privacy ,

we have been told for years to take care about our personal info when surfing the net , and now were peps more and less ( well some i see) don't give a shet about that they flush you with all they can ,

implanting faceshet into games because peps are to lazy to pick up there new iphone to CALL your freind ,

now real name into forums were scammers just wait to get it easyier , 1 real name , 1 login email , and here we go. if blizz get through with this you just wait and see what will happen to other games

Re: John Birshire, real name, no gimmicks...
Jul 8, 2010, 05:30
Re: John Birshire, real name, no gimmicks... Jul 8, 2010, 05:30
Jul 8, 2010, 05:30

Kosumo wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 01:52:
agpc, can I ask, why is it you think an employer may not employ you due to playing computer games? In what field could this be a danger? (and if it is, and you are a gamer, you should not be doing it.)

Have you worked in the corporate world? Hiring usually comes down to a hiring manager, and they have all sorts of pet peeves. There are many folks in hiring positions who look down on video gamers because they perceive video games to be a waste of time, and therefore assume those who play them will waste time at work. I have had meetings with people who laugh about employees that play games like world of warcraft. Jokes about wizard hats and the like.

Jul 8, 2010, 04:23
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 04:23
Jul 8, 2010, 04:23

I think RealID is a great idea, KUDOS to Blizzard for implementing it in the way they did.

If it was any other company no one would give a shit, but Blizzard being Blizzard everyone is behaving like they are fucking with some God Given or Constitutional rights....

People are over-reacting to this in a big way...everyone needs to just chill a bit.
I have a nifty blue line!

Jul 8, 2010, 03:13
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 03:13
Jul 8, 2010, 03:13

Draugr wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 02:41:
posting on the official Blizzard forums are completely optional"
Yeah... it says, "posting on the official Blizzard forums is completely optional." Not, "Posting on the official Blizzard forums with your RealID is completely optional."

Jul 8, 2010, 02:41
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 02:41
Jul 8, 2010, 02:41

eunichron wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 02:32:
Draugr wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 01:15:
The middle finger is they implemented something completely optional? MONSTERS ;)

Therein lies the issue. It is NOT optional. The "option" is you participate or you don't. If it was "Optional" then there would be a little check box next to your forum character list saying, "Post with RealID."

Sites like MMO Champion and Elitist Jerks will thrive, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since those two sites in particular are already better quality than Blizzard's forums.

FTA:
"It's important to note that both enabling Real ID in game and posting on the official Blizzard forums are completely optional"

I totally agree with those other forums being better choices already, overall I think community for the games will strengthen, and the blizz forums will weaken and end up just like 90% of developers' forums, just with real names.

Jul 8, 2010, 02:32
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 02:32
Jul 8, 2010, 02:32

Draugr wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 01:15:
The middle finger is they implemented something completely optional? MONSTERS ;)

Therein lies the issue. It is NOT optional. The "option" is you participate or you don't. If it was "Optional" then there would be a little check box next to your forum character list saying, "Post with RealID."

You are right though, Blizzard forums will become deserted, and sites like MMO Champion and Elitist Jerks will thrive, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since those two sites in particular are already better quality than Blizzard's forums.

Jul 8, 2010, 02:17
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 02:17
Jul 8, 2010, 02:17

wow, I love this.
Check it out:
"our goal is to create a social gaming service that players want to use." --Blizzard

"posting on the official Blizzard forums are completely optional" --Blizzard

They say they want us to use what they create; They don't allow use to use it without exposure. Why would we want to use it? There is no direct benefit from using my real name on the internet or I WOULDN'T be posting here with an alias. (or anywhere)
149 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older