Blizzard on Real ID

Blizzard tells Gamasutra they are "definitely listening to player feedback" about Real ID, and the recent revelation that this would require the use of "real names" to post to the StarCraft II forums (though they admit that any name can be registered, though it will be associated with your unique CD key). So far the outcry from fans would indicate the program is not receiving the reception they hoped for: "Real ID is a new and different concept for Blizzard gamers -- and for us as well -- and our goal is to create a social gaming service that players want to use." In any event, it doesn't sound like they are reconsidering the plan, as they explain its optional nature. "It's important to note that both enabling Real ID in game and posting on the official Blizzard forums are completely optional," the Blizzard rep said. "Players can continue to read the forums anonymously regardless of whether they choose to post in them, and their gameplay experiences will not change if they choose not to use the Real ID communication features in game."
View : : :
149 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Blizzard on Real ID
Jul 8, 2010, 17:18
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 17:18
Jul 8, 2010, 17:18

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 16:58:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 16:25:
Awww, was that poke at me? I'm flattered. People like me know more than ignorant people like you think we do, which is why I am not concerned about this.
If that was true, then you wouldn't have made your original comment, upon which I was happily able to point out exactly how wrong you are and governments pretty much everywhere except in the US ensure that your right to remain private exists.

You might not have noticed, but stars and royalty do live in general fortified bunkers these days.

Right. That's why I have had a nice conversations with some of them while they were out in public, no bodyguards, no bullet resistant vests. Maybe some of the ultra paranoid ones live like that, but a lot of them are fairly normal people.

And if you think your government, or almost any other, respects your privacy, well, you truly are ignorant. Canada, hmmmm. Gun registry, yes, that's a deep respect for privacy.Hmmm, didn't your government sell health care records to private industry? Ooops. And most of Europe's idea of privacy consists of Big Brother watching your every step. Yeah, very private.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jul 8, 2010, 17:04
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 17:04
Jul 8, 2010, 17:04

Right, so you literally found no information on him to prove your point, you just linked us to a page that shows us how many john prezios you'd need to go through to potentially find him, if he is even on that list. You just help prove his point imo.

Re: John Birshire, real name, no gimmicks...
Jul 8, 2010, 16:59
Re: John Birshire, real name, no gimmicks... Jul 8, 2010, 16:59
Jul 8, 2010, 16:59

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 16:28:
Meaning you paid to find this out, or those are the only hits you get on Google? Interestingly enough, not everyone shows up on Google.
Meaning that there are about 30 different "services" which do lookups for free, which are better then google. Even when your name isn't public record.

Interestingly enough, and being that you probably live in the US, your name is public record. Where I live in Canada, my name is a private record.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Jul 8, 2010, 16:58
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 16:58

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 16:25:
Awww, was that poke at me? I'm flattered. People like me know more than ignorant people like you think we do, which is why I am not concerned about this.
If that was true, then you wouldn't have made your original comment, upon which I was happily able to point out exactly how wrong you are and governments pretty much everywhere except in the US ensure that your right to remain private exists.

You might not have noticed, but stars and royalty do live in general fortified bunkers these days.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 16:58

Prez wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 16:34:

I just never have understood why this is so taboo. My name is John Prezioso. What the hell is the big deal?

just the fact that in this day and age its remarkably easy to find people in real life using small pieces of information thanks to the internet. im not going to go into creep mode and dig further than that but the point is that people can find and post things that you might not be entirely comfortable with. even if you are, it doesnt mean other people should be. and the other guy shares a name with an actor which is why hes so comfortable.

i posted a list from two pages ago that had about 20 reasons why this is a bad idea. no one could find a single way it was a good idea. in fact the only thing some people can seem to say is lol wuts the big deal guyzzzz.

Jul 8, 2010, 16:50
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 16:50
Jul 8, 2010, 16:50

Prez wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 16:34:
The complete opposite. Our internet persona are the most accurate displays of ourselves because in here we have no obligations to say anything but what we hold true. There is no peer pressure, no fear of remorse, and no societal standard limiting what we can and cannot say.

I don't think genuine was the right word. In fact I know it wasn't really. Your point that anonymity, for good or for ill, can allow our true selves to come out is of course correct. The thing is, there is nothing I would say here or anywhere else that I wouldn't say in public. That's just me.

Perhaps the correct word would have been "decent" as I believe people will genuinely behave decent when they perceive even a slight social order to things, which of course implies consequences to untoward actions. My point is that when you aren't just a nameless faceless avatar, it is quite likely you will behave more civil. I have had my name and email public for years; not because I expect someone to use them, but because it is a way of keeping myself honest. No saying something inappropriate and then ducking out. I may say the occasional inappropriate things, but knowing my true self will be held accountable is a nice self-imposed check on my inner desire to otherwise speak in less than civil tones at times.

When I go to other forums, I'm still always Prez. (I don't use my full last name (Prezioso) for obvious reasons! :D) My game tag is always Prez (or some variation thereof like xXPrezXx if it is already taken). I like the continuity even if no one else ever really notices.

People need rules. People need boundaries. It always a bit disturbing to see just how close "civilization" is from total anarchy. One only needs to watch what will happen when a traffic light fails at a busy intersection at rush hour in a major city to see this firsthand.

Again, pretty off-topic from the theme of the headline, but I guess it all ties in.

have you seen videos and read the wow players comment , its a game nerfed down to the schoolyard , and seeing how teenage bully eachother well not very much must go wrong before.... ,
and its not just the wow , saying yes to this forum name shet is like opening boxes that don't need to be open , people need to think further than just this. but sadly there is a growing "i don't give a shet " attitude , but hej its all about money and with that deal blizz have made with faceshet , they may sell personal info for goood cash , so why should THEY care about our personal info

Jul 8, 2010, 16:34
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 16:34
Jul 8, 2010, 16:34

The complete opposite. Our internet persona are the most accurate displays of ourselves because in here we have no obligations to say anything but what we hold true. There is no peer pressure, no fear of remorse, and no societal standard limiting what we can and cannot say.

I don't think genuine was the right word. In fact I know it wasn't really. Your point that anonymity, for good or for ill, can allow our true selves to come out is of course correct. The thing is, there is nothing I would say here or anywhere else that I wouldn't say in public. That's just me.

Perhaps the correct word would have been "decent" as I believe people will genuinely behave decent when they perceive even a slight social order to things, which of course implies consequences to untoward actions. My point is that when you aren't just a nameless faceless avatar, it is quite likely you will behave more civil. I have had my name and email public for years; not because I expect someone to use them, but because it is a way of keeping myself honest. No saying something inappropriate and then ducking out. I may say the occasional inappropriate things, but knowing my true self will be held accountable is a nice self-imposed check on my inner desire to otherwise speak in less than civil tones at times.

When I go to other forums, I'm still always Prez. (I don't use my full last name (Prezioso) for obvious reasons! :D) My game tag is always Prez (or some variation thereof like xXPrezXx if it is already taken). I like the continuity even if no one else ever really notices.

People need rules. People need boundaries. It always a bit disturbing to see just how close "civilization" is from total anarchy. One only needs to watch what will happen when a traffic light fails at a busy intersection at rush hour in a major city to see this firsthand.

Again, pretty off-topic from the theme of the headline, but I guess it all ties in.

The PC Warrior wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 15:28:
all of the people who dont think this is a big deal please post your first and last names. funny so many of you named john smith. thats what i thought.

I just never have understood why this is so taboo. My name is John Prezioso. What the hell is the big deal? I have far worse enemies than here who know my address as well; I'm simply not all that concerned that people have been able to know my name since I started using the net more or less.

Hell if the IRS knows my name and address and I don't live in fear, I can't see why I should sit quivering in fear at my keyboard at the prospect of one of you guys knowing it.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2010, 16:43.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 8, 2010, 16:31
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 16:31
Jul 8, 2010, 16:31

The PC Warrior wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 15:28:
all of the people who dont think this is a big deal please post your first and last names. funny so many of you named john smith. thats what i thought.

A lot of us have. You just have to be smart enough to find it.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jul 8, 2010, 16:28
Re: John Birshire, real name, no gimmicks... Jul 8, 2010, 16:28
Jul 8, 2010, 16:28

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 10:24:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 01:29:
Yes, because of the thousands of John Smiths on the planet, you will know exactly which one to look up.
You'll be happy to know my name is unique. There are 3 of me in all of Canada. In the US there are 6, with the same name. I'll just point out that uncommon names are the more common variety when you're trying to track someone down.

Meaning you paid to find this out, or those are the only hits you get on Google? Interestingly enough, not everyone shows up on Google.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jul 8, 2010, 16:25
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 16:25
Jul 8, 2010, 16:25

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 10:16:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 23:40:
If privacy was such a big fucking deal, then we'd all be doing something about the government in our respective countries (most of us, anyway) and we're not. It all boils down to people being ignorant, or people not wanting to take responsibility for their bullshit online.
In Canada we did. See in this mythical land of Canada, we have the charter of rights and freedoms. Part of that charter says you have a reasonable right to privacy. The privacy act further goes on, ontop of this to protect the citizens from not only the government prying into their lives; but businesses big and small from doing it(unless there's a reasonable reason they might have an issue). That issue might be something stupid like a mom & pop computer store that only has a few hundred customers. There is some leeway given.

Anyway, when you get down to it, most of the US has no idea what actual privacy laws are. Or why you should have a reasonable expectation of privacy. On the otherhand, most of Europe has figured it out. Which is why people like yourself, who have no idea why disclosing your name publicly is a bad idea. Especially on the intarwebs.

You people are being fucking ridiculous about a non-issue. If knowing someones name was such a huge deal, we'd all be giving out code names in real life when we met new people. The stars would live in bunkers for fear of crazy fans murdering them every day of their life. Bobby Kotick would live on a space station, since everyone wants him dead. It's too bad you all grew up in internetland where you never had to take responsibility for a day in your life.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jul 8, 2010, 16:19
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 16:19
Jul 8, 2010, 16:19

Verno wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 09:21:
Your first and last name aren't written on the back of your car, allowing that crazy guy to look up your address and hunt you down though. No offense Prez but poor analogy(are car analogies ever good?). People who don't care about their privacy don't care about this, that's no shock but surely you see can see the implications it has for people that do I would hope.

And again this has no beneficial properties whatsoever for the customer. It's serving Bobby Koticks attempts to milk the Facebook crowd, nothing more. Bobby has enough money guys, he doesn't need your support.

No, Verno, but your license plates are on your car. $35 and I can get more info on you from your plate numbers than I would ever care to read.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jul 8, 2010, 15:51
PHJF

Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 15:51
Jul 8, 2010, 15:51
 PHJF

I think we tend to act more genuine when we have a name attached to our posts.

I'm reminded of Ender's Game wherein Valentine and Peter stake claims upon Usenet and garner massive followings. Would anyone have given a shred of thought to their works had their ages been known? Of course not. But masked in anonymity they are utterly empowered.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Jul 8, 2010, 15:28
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 15:28
Jul 8, 2010, 15:28

Jul 8, 2010, 14:42
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 14:42
Jul 8, 2010, 14:42

well gz to you 2 ,
now selling personal info to another company is that leagal , were i am it is call scam , and if blizz did make a deal with Faceshet...then they are.....

Jul 8, 2010, 14:38
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 14:38
Jul 8, 2010, 14:38

InBlack wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 04:23:
I think RealID is a great idea, KUDOS to Blizzard for implementing it in the way they did.

If it was any other company no one would give a shit, but Blizzard being Blizzard everyone is behaving like they are fucking with some God Given or Constitutional rights....

People are over-reacting to this in a big way...everyone needs to just chill a bit.
Agreed.

Jul 8, 2010, 14:37
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 14:37
Jul 8, 2010, 14:37

eunichron wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 03:13:
Draugr wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 02:41:
posting on the official Blizzard forums are completely optional"
Yeah... it says, "posting on the official Blizzard forums is completely optional." Not, "Posting on the official Blizzard forums with your RealID is completely optional."
Yes, you understand the distinction correctly. Good for you. So what's the problem? Oh, I see. You WANT to post in the Blizzard forums WITHOUT using RealID, is that right? Well, you can't.

Next issue.

Jul 8, 2010, 14:35
Re: John Birshire, real name, no gimmicks... Jul 8, 2010, 14:35
Jul 8, 2010, 14:35

agpc wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 05:30:
Kosumo wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 01:52:
agpc, can I ask, why is it you think an employer may not employ you due to playing computer games? In what field could this be a danger? (and if it is, and you are a gamer, you should not be doing it.)

Have you worked in the corporate world? Hiring usually comes down to a hiring manager, and they have all sorts of pet peeves. There are many folks in hiring positions who look down on video gamers because they perceive video games to be a waste of time, and therefore assume those who play them will waste time at work. I have had meetings with people who laugh about employees that play games like world of warcraft. Jokes about wizard hats and the like.

So then don't post in Blizzard forums. Problem solved. Wow, that was easy.

Jul 8, 2010, 14:21
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 14:21
Jul 8, 2010, 14:21

What was the link for that youtube vid again?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jul 8, 2010, 13:22
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 13:22
Jul 8, 2010, 13:22

That's hilarious.

I am thick enough to believe that this has to do with most of Blizzard's audience being immature members of 4chan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NgAkWxcPBE

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2010, 14:25.

Jul 8, 2010, 12:37
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 12:37
Jul 8, 2010, 12:37

While I don't think this is a big deal I can see myself becoming a lurker if something like this was to become mandatory on bluesnews. I think I'd ultimately find another place to post and I think that is what WoW players will likely do as well.

I doubt anyone who is crazy about WoW would stop playing over this but I can see most people being hesitant to post on the forums if you're real id, IE the name on your billing information?, was posted.

And maybe that is what they want. Maybe they just want the forums to become a ghost town. I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish on Starcraft 2 exactly, maybe the same thing. Completely anonymous forums tend to get pretty heated and I know plenty of companies do their best to filter them by removing posts they don't like, might be talking bad about the game or just be an insulting post, but with a forum like wow that has got to be nearly impossible.

People worried about stalking and murder and what not I think are worried about nonsense. There is as much chance that some wacko will see your car on the freeway and make it his mission in life to find and kill you...it's always possible but I don't think it's a good use of time to worry about it.

There are a few people on here that show their real ID's as well, Derek Smart and Cliffski come to mind. Maybe they'd like to chime in?
149 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older