Blizzard on Real ID

Blizzard tells Gamasutra they are "definitely listening to player feedback" about Real ID, and the recent revelation that this would require the use of "real names" to post to the StarCraft II forums (though they admit that any name can be registered, though it will be associated with your unique CD key). So far the outcry from fans would indicate the program is not receiving the reception they hoped for: "Real ID is a new and different concept for Blizzard gamers -- and for us as well -- and our goal is to create a social gaming service that players want to use." In any event, it doesn't sound like they are reconsidering the plan, as they explain its optional nature. "It's important to note that both enabling Real ID in game and posting on the official Blizzard forums are completely optional," the Blizzard rep said. "Players can continue to read the forums anonymously regardless of whether they choose to post in them, and their gameplay experiences will not change if they choose not to use the Real ID communication features in game."
View : : :
149 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Blizzard on Real ID
Jul 7, 2010, 21:29
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 21:29
Jul 7, 2010, 21:29

CVG post

This has obviously been referenced . This employee was an idiot and if I were blizzard I would can him. Why on earth would you challenge people to do this? Especially when said system isn't in place.

If this system was in place then the first thing that happened when that man posted the employee's information, is that person would then be accountable, and they could take action accordingly. EVERYONE who participates is 'vulnerable.'

When the system is implemented do you think the posts are going to consist of people sitting around trying to collect information on everyone posting? unlikely, chances are it will be business as usual. I mean, I'm sure people with a bone to pick will take the time to do things like this, but overall it's not going to be an issue, and I'm sure the mods will be in force when it begins.

I'd also like to point out that this man's post by default already contained more information than just his name. People know he is a blizz employee, so it's safe to say he lives in Cali. So without those additional pieces of information, they would need to sift through every Mike Whipple in the US, then CA, then city. of course they might be able to get more info elsewhere, but once again it's not as straightforward as the employee has foolishly misrepresented.

Jul 7, 2010, 21:13
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 21:13
Jul 7, 2010, 21:13

No one has RIGHT to post on the b.net forums so your rights aren't being threatened.
You're gonna get ID'd when you go to the club, the doorman has no RIGHT to ask for your ID, but he has the RIGHT to not let you in, and if you wanna get in you get to play by their rules.

Agreed, I don't see blizzard saying they are going to make everyone's identity open for all to see. If you want to post on the boards you are also going to show your real name. If that isn't something you want then I guess you won't be posting on the forums? I'm sure there are plenty of other forums to post on regarding WoW.

Jul 7, 2010, 21:09
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 21:09
Jul 7, 2010, 21:09

Dirwulf wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 20:59:
ASeven wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 20:40:
So let me see if I get this straight, they don't seem to back down on this.

If anything happens, like a murder, who will they blame? This is the sort of stuff that can bring a corporation down if the worst comes to happen. And since half of the internet population is crazy and the other half feeds on drama I really can see no good coming from this.

In fact,reading this article at CVG sends shivers down my spine.

If anyone believes for a second that Blizzard would be libel if some dumb ass bothered to stalk and find another blizzard forum user and kill them, you are sadly mistaken.

You do realize that not only I did not imply that, I meant that if it happens a lot of stuff can happen or not. The media may pick it up. Lawsuits, frivolous or not, could happen. Anything could happen really. I don't mean to say it will happen, just that it could. Half the net population is seriously crazy and though there's nothing wrong with being accountable for what one says, who is to say if some crazed bastard doesn't start stalking in real life and do some sort of deed?

Again all this are hypothesis that may or may not happen. And yes, I agree with the previous poster that Facebook should also be slammed even harder for what they're doing and done.

Jul 7, 2010, 21:05
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 21:05
Jul 7, 2010, 21:05

The Canadian government would also need to get involved with things like facebook, myspace for also sharing information which people volunteer. which are also completely voluntary. NO ONE, at any point is REQUIRED to post or even look at the B.net forums, and anything that would interact in game is already been said to be completely optional.

No one has RIGHT to post on the b.net forums so your rights aren't being threatened.
You're gonna get ID'd when you go to the club, the doorman has no RIGHT to ask for your ID, but he has the RIGHT to not let you in, and if you wanna get in you get to play by their rules.

Jul 7, 2010, 20:59
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 20:59
Jul 7, 2010, 20:59

ASeven wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 20:40:

If anything happens, like a murder, who will they blame? This is the sort of stuff that can bring a corporation down if the worst comes to happen. And since half of the internet population is crazy and the other half feeds on drama I really can see no good coming from this.

If anyone believes for a second that Blizzard would be libel if some dumb ass bothered to stalk and find another blizzard forum user and kill them, you are sadly mistaken.

Jul 7, 2010, 20:57
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 20:57
Jul 7, 2010, 20:57

Hell, this was on the CBC today with people already complaining to the Privacy Commisoners office and it looks like the Canadian government will be getting involved before too long.

I can't believe that Blizzard would be so willfully obstinate and obtuse about this. The potential for the downside on this is massive to say the least. It's certainly not worth it to curtail some trolling. Seeing as the ball has just started rolling, I'd imagine they'll reverse their position on this before too long or risk getting crushed by that proverbial ball.

I'm just amazed that anyone in their legal department could possibly think this is a good idea in any way, shape, or form.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade

Jul 7, 2010, 20:56
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 20:56
Jul 7, 2010, 20:56

I love how on the blizzard forums real names are srs bsns, but when it comes to face book a lot of those people are already giving out that info. I understand some people avoid Facebook for this reason and whatnot and I can appreciate that, I count me among them. People say horrible crap all the time on their facebook (plenty of which aren't private) pages and few and far between are the 'OMG FACEBOOK GOT THIS PERSON KILLED' sensationalist (the majority anyway) stories.
Lets stop pretending this opens some unforseen can of worms.

I also think its funny since most people arguments boil down to "Well, then I can be held accountable for what I say." An absolutely horrific thought for a decent part of the population on B.net forums.

Jul 7, 2010, 20:51
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 20:51
Jul 7, 2010, 20:51

This fight has only just begun.
A truck is not a speech.A horn is not a voice.Occupation is not a protest.A blockade is not freedom,it blocks the liberty of all.
A demand to overthrow a government is not a dialogue.Expression of hate is not a difference of opinion.A lie is not the truth

Jul 7, 2010, 20:40
Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 20:40
Jul 7, 2010, 20:40

149 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older