World of Warcraft CTF

The World of Warcraft Website describes the new 10 vs. 10 capture-the-flag gameplay the new Twin Peaks Battleground adds to Blizzard's MMORPG. Word: "Twin Peaks is a new 10 vs. 10, capture-the-flag-style battleground. Much like in Warsong Gulch, players must work to dominate variable terrain, infiltrate the enemy base, and steal the enemy flag, returning it to their fortress while remaining in control of their own flag. The first faction to capture three enemy flags before time expires will win the battle." Thanks Ant.
View : : :
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: World of Warcraft CTF
Jun 7, 2010, 09:55
Verno

Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 7, 2010, 09:55
Jun 7, 2010, 09:55
 Verno

I'm not sure how much more gimmicky WoW can get. Capture the flag? Really? $25 My Little Pony, iPhone auction apps and the list just keeps growing.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Jun 7, 2010, 05:34
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 7, 2010, 05:34
Jun 7, 2010, 05:34

kxmode wrote on Jun 6, 2010, 06:42:
Flock to SWTOR to pick a Warlock-type class? No. You misunderstood my comment. I'm saying I hope SWTOR is out before Cataclysm.
SWTOR seems to be next year, and Cataclysm this year.

Jun 6, 2010, 22:43
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 22:43
Jun 6, 2010, 22:43

Deepjay wrote on Jun 6, 2010, 21:18:
I always love the raiding requires skill arguements.

cool story bro

Jun 6, 2010, 21:18
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 21:18
Jun 6, 2010, 21:18

I always love the raiding requires skill arguements.

Jun 6, 2010, 19:52
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 19:52
Jun 6, 2010, 19:52

Frijoles wrote on Jun 6, 2010, 15:04:
Naxx (original) was the final straw and I quit because of that instance (only to return a year later). Here's this awesome new instance that they spent a bit of time on, and what was the final number that saw it? Like 1% of the playerbase?
The original 40-man Naxx was awesome. Never made it to Sapp/KT, just the 4H. Even so, I agree it was pretty much a screw to 95% of the population of the game. The new way is better.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jun 6, 2010, 17:42
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 17:42
Jun 6, 2010, 17:42

This is a lot of what used to piss me off from EQ. Was a lot of that game I never saw and when the new expansions came out..there was never a chance to see. And if you ever did get to go, people would either prevent you from getting items or you would not be invited back..even though items were going to alts or being sold for cash when you could use them. I played a druid in EQ and it was a pretty popular class, but wasn't a really strong raiding class. So I remember times where I'd be asked to go, help everyone port to some location close to the raid...and then someone would login who was a higher up druid and suddenly I'd be told that they really needed him on the raid because of.......

I have a strong dislike of existing guilds because they tend to have an inner circle that does everything and the rest of the players are there to fill in with the inner guys can't make it.

Frijoles wrote on Jun 6, 2010, 15:04:
My problem was never with the gear of casuals vs raiders. I knew, in Vanilla and BC, that my gear sucked compared to other people. It was awesome when I got a purple, but it didn't bother me. What bugged the hell out of me, though, is that I didn't get to see the high-end raids. Naxx (original) was the final straw and I quit because of that instance (only to return a year later). Here's this awesome new instance that they spent a bit of time on, and what was the final number that saw it? Like 1% of the playerbase? Fuck raiders for thinking they deserve content anymore than casuals.

I like how they're handling it in Wrath and Cata. Make a 10 man and 25 man version. That way I can still see the content, and the hardcore raiders can beat themselves up over the 25 achievements. Oh wait, they said they see no point in doing 25 man in Cata since gear is the same. Here's the solution: Put a machine in Dalaran that dispenses uber gear if you manage to push a button 50,000 times. Since raiders aren't raiding for fun and just gear, it'll be ideal for them.

Jun 6, 2010, 17:14
Kxmode

Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 17:14
Jun 6, 2010, 17:14
 Kxmode

Yifes wrote on Jun 6, 2010, 10:13:
I'm saying I hope SWTOR is out before Cataclysm. If Blizzard doesn't make the kind of improvements I would like to see by then I'll have another MMO to play. After 5 years I'm really getting tired of WOW in general.

Are you saying SWTOR has "true" PVP?

I'm not saying that. LOL! Gees. Stop putting words in my mouth.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jun 6, 2010, 16:25
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 16:25
Jun 6, 2010, 16:25

I sincerely hope blizzard continues the current trend by getting rid of raids altogether as they slowly seem to be doing. That way people will realize blizzard is designing the game for soccer moms like eq2.People can move onto a mmo that requires skill so they can get a chance and I'm not playing wow forever since no one give new mmos a chance. There has to be a balance between raids taking 16 hours a week to be competitive and not being able to pug them with brain dead retards.

The fact that you have to be a retard to do 25 mans and raids will likely be even easier in cata looks like the best chance for ff14 and swtor to succeed.

Jun 6, 2010, 15:04
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 15:04
Jun 6, 2010, 15:04

My problem was never with the gear of casuals vs raiders. I knew, in Vanilla and BC, that my gear sucked compared to other people. It was awesome when I got a purple, but it didn't bother me. What bugged the hell out of me, though, is that I didn't get to see the high-end raids. Naxx (original) was the final straw and I quit because of that instance (only to return a year later). Here's this awesome new instance that they spent a bit of time on, and what was the final number that saw it? Like 1% of the playerbase? Fuck raiders for thinking they deserve content anymore than casuals.

I like how they're handling it in Wrath and Cata. Make a 10 man and 25 man version. That way I can still see the content, and the hardcore raiders can beat themselves up over the 25 achievements. Oh wait, they said they see no point in doing 25 man in Cata since gear is the same. Here's the solution: Put a machine in Dalaran that dispenses uber gear if you manage to push a button 50,000 times. Since raiders aren't raiding for fun and just gear, it'll be ideal for them.

Jun 6, 2010, 13:29
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 13:29
Jun 6, 2010, 13:29

D_K_night wrote on Jun 6, 2010, 02:51:
Drezden wrote on Jun 5, 2010, 20:08:
I wont resubscribe to this piss poor game till they make raiding gear hard to get and not buyable with badges, EVER AGAIN. BC was the last great era for Raiding gear. With Wrath and their stupid badge system I thought it was retarded that someone who put in a few hours grinding dungeons could get a set of armor almost equivelent to the one I worked my ass off for killing "hard" (and I put that in quotations because none of the bosses in Wrath were "hard") bosses.

Sorry I come from the Everquest era. I rolled deep in that game too. I liked that only the most dedicated had the best gear. I liked WoW because it was like that in Vanilla, and in BC. Then they took a dump on the system to keep customers from leaving. Their greed has watered down the game to a point where the hardcore player laughs at it.

Good, and the game is better for it. Let me guess, you're in your early 20's(at very MAX), and you have almost limitless disposable time on your hands.

That's why you loved the days of 12 hour raids in MC/BWL/Original Naxx. You felt so good that you happened to belong to a guild that only the people like you, who could put that kind of time into the game, would allow in.

I challenge you to find me 10 people who:

- Are married with children
- Have a Long term career to support
- Put the lives of their children and spouse at the utmost priority(second only to their career, be realistic, no money = no family)

Find me those 10 people who have the ability to raid 4 days a week, 6 hours a day, AND don't have their marriage and families compromised. Go, do it.

But that is the problem, raiding was intitally targeted towards the hardcore. The people that really dedicated themselves to the game got really far ahead of others gear and skill wise. Now they hand out gear like candy. Plenty of people in my guild had a family and good job.

They let people who casually played have their fun in the BG system and lower gear required instances, like Stratholme and Scholomance. Actually, looking back only the hardcore PVPers excelled in that too, and I liked it.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2010, 13:41.

Jun 6, 2010, 12:26
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 12:26
Jun 6, 2010, 12:26

new bg> Interesting, though it is notable its the first time they've recycled a BG style. I guess they've made a few changes, I can see people griping about how one side has an advantage because of their terrain.

Locks> They're still pretty nasty, I notice, myself included, people tend kill them first. Leave them alive and your whole team has DoTs ticking on them. Frankly though I find Paladins the most annoying class in PvP. Properly geared and spec'd it takes a few people to take one down.

Raids> Its been said before, but part of the reason raids are easier are things like DBM and AVR, they take some of the need for ADHD out of raiding. I prefer the more inclusive system, it gives more people a chance to see all the content, and it opens up raiding to people who only have a few our once or twice a day. I completely understand why some people are upset though. Having the epic gear used to be a badge of honor. When you saw someone decked out in tier gear you knew they were badass, and probably had a lot of time on their hands. On that note however, I don't see many with heroic 25 man ICC gear. Sure its not as noticeable, but there still aren't many people who are ever going to get it.

Jun 6, 2010, 11:27
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 11:27
Jun 6, 2010, 11:27

Frijoles wrote on Jun 5, 2010, 23:50:
Vanilla sucked. BC sucked, but less. Wrath is awesome. I have T10 gear with minimal effort. As an added bonus, it makes the raiders QQ.
LOL. Yeah, I never quite understood the raider hate towards the badge system. I raided the first 5 years of WoW and it never bothered me. *shrug* Whatever.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jun 6, 2010, 10:13
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 10:13
Jun 6, 2010, 10:13

I'm saying I hope SWTOR is out before Cataclysm. If Blizzard doesn't make the kind of improvements I would like to see by then I'll have another MMO to play. After 5 years I'm really getting tired of WOW in general.

Are you saying SWTOR has "true" PVP?

Jun 6, 2010, 06:57
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 06:57
Jun 6, 2010, 06:57

Find me those 10 people who have the ability to raid 4 days a week, 6 hours a day, AND don't have their marriage and families compromised. Go, do it.

Is this the part where you mention you bang supermodels and everyone that is good at video games are losers?

Jun 6, 2010, 06:42
Kxmode

Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 06:42
Jun 6, 2010, 06:42
 Kxmode

D_K_night wrote on Jun 6, 2010, 02:54:
So you were happiest when locks were the flavor of the month and everyone had no recourse(except for rogues and warriors let me guess), but to flee? You don't sound like a lock broke 1800 rating, in any team.

Blizzard was perfectly happy with Warlocks. The "flavor" lasted for 3 years until all the bitching happened. I don't consider Arena true PVP. All it is is a competitive ladder. That's not why I did PVP. I don't care about the loot, ranks or titles. I PVPed for the fun of it. Tarren Mill vs Southshore skirmishes, Crossroads skirmishes... those are what I miss. The introduction of Battlegrounds ruined PVP. Arenas made it even worse. My class is no where near what it once was in PVP.

D_K_night wrote on Jun 6, 2010, 02:54:
So you're gonna flock to SWTOR and hope you'll have picked the warlock-type class? Hate to break it to you but it's only going to be a variation of every other MMO that's already been done.

Flock to SWTOR to pick a Warlock-type class? No. You misunderstood my comment. I'm saying I hope SWTOR is out before Cataclysm. If Blizzard doesn't make the kind of improvements I would like to see by then I'll have another MMO to play. After 5 years I'm really getting tired of WOW in general.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2010, 08:13.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jun 6, 2010, 02:54
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 02:54
Jun 6, 2010, 02:54

kxmode wrote on Jun 6, 2010, 00:32:
I've pretty much decided not to PVP with my Warlock. There was a time in vanilla WOW where you didn't mess with Warlocks. If you saw a couple of them you ran away. Blizzard systematically destroyed the class over the years to the point were we're now one of the easiest targets to kill. If I don't see noticeable improvements by Cataclysm I'm probably not going to reactive my account.

I hope The Old Republic comes out soon.

So you were happiest when locks were the flavor of the month and everyone had no recourse(except for rogues and warriors let me guess), but to flee? You don't sound like a lock broke 1800 rating, in any team.

So you're gonna flock to SWTOR and hope you'll have picked the warlock-type class? Hate to break it to you but it's only going to be a variation of every other MMO that's already been done.

Jun 6, 2010, 02:51
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 02:51
Jun 6, 2010, 02:51

I wont resubscribe to this piss poor game till they make raiding gear hard to get and not buyable with badges, EVER AGAIN. BC was the last great era for Raiding gear. With Wrath and their stupid badge system I thought it was retarded that someone who put in a few hours grinding dungeons could get a set of armor almost equivelent to the one I worked my ass off for killing "hard" (and I put that in quotations because none of the bosses in Wrath were "hard") bosses.

Sorry I come from the Everquest era. I rolled deep in that game too. I liked that only the most dedicated had the best gear. I liked WoW because it was like that in Vanilla, and in BC. Then they took a dump on the system to keep customers from leaving. Their greed has watered down the game to a point where the hardcore player laughs at it.

Good, and the game is better for it. Let me guess, you're in your early 20's(at very MAX), and you have almost limitless disposable time on your hands.

That's why you loved the days of 12 hour raids in MC/BWL/Original Naxx. You felt so good that you happened to belong to a guild that only the people like you, who could put that kind of time into the game, would allow in.

I challenge you to find me 10 people who:

- Are married with children
- Have a Long term career to support
- Put the lives of their children and spouse at the utmost priority(second only to their career, be realistic, no money = no family)

Jun 6, 2010, 02:11
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 02:11
Jun 6, 2010, 02:11

Nightmares of hourlong WSG's?
Yeah I had those too once, but right now its nightmares about 8 hour long BG queues. Actually I stopped playing this game because of that.
Normally I played a lot of PvP and casually entered BGs before for a quick game, but after switching to horde because of friends it was just horrible. Even waiting for a WSG, AB or AV to pop up took 30 mins to 2 hours. Entering the SotA queue was completely pointless, because even after you got into a game after hours, Alliance players were never enough and the game was ended automatically. That mentioned 8 hours is no joke either. Happened every single day in the IoC queue (it was slightly better at weekends, but not much).

Judging from all the whining in the forums its not better in different Battlegroups either. Horde to Alliance ratio is just completely fucked since they added faction transfers. I really hope the next expansion fixes that, but since Alliance doesnt get any elves, I doubt that.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Jun 6, 2010, 00:32
Kxmode

Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 00:32
Jun 6, 2010, 00:32
 Kxmode

I've pretty much decided not to PVP with my Warlock. There was a time in vanilla WOW where you didn't mess with Warlocks. If you saw a couple of them you ran away. Blizzard systematically destroyed the class over the years to the point were we're now one of the easiest targets to kill. If I don't see noticeable improvements by Cataclysm I'm probably not going to reactive my account.

I hope The Old Republic comes out soon.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2010, 01:01.

Jun 6, 2010, 00:16
Re: World of Warcraft CTF Jun 6, 2010, 00:16
Jun 6, 2010, 00:16

I think WoW is a pretty good MMO, I just got tired of raid limitations..some weeks I would have liked to spend a few days doing a specific raid and others I just wanted to PVP. But with the raid timers and such, you were forced to schedule to the artificial limitations and not the will of other players. I dunno how many times I had to turn down offers to go along on a raid because I was involved in a pretty unsuccessful one and didn't want to screw it up for myself or others since I wasn't sure how the raid instance and timer system carried over and such.

But the things that ultimately pissed me off to no end were bots/scripted players, I saw them doing instances, I saw them doing BGs, I saw them doing a plethora of things like fishing and other gathering things via killing in specific locations. Blizzards lack of dealing with those people just made the market crazy, those people made all kinds of money but they also made it not worth the effort for others to skill up because they couldn't make money on items even close to how much it cost them to make it in time and effort.

And then Blizz's fascination with updating classes, but picking about 3-4 they would constantly patch. So if you were one of the unfavored (warrior comes to mind) you would suffer for a long time with a stupid patch decision. While rogues and warlocks might get nerfed in a patch they had another skill added in, but then the next week get fixed plus more stuff. And it never ended being like that, it wasn't just for a month as they changed a system..it was all the time. I dunno if the class reps for some classes are like super hot or put out or what, but that started making everyone favor those classes because they were always "really good" due to the way they constantly updated them. You didn't get these huge lulls where your class was worthless in all but one spec and only good in that one spec when you had hours and hours worth of gear...and you hated playing that spec. I mostly played a druid, they didn't have it so bad..but healing was the role druids were jammed into for a long time and it was a pretty shit role. You get blamed if people die, but you got no recognition when things went smoothly...that was all saved for DPS performers (thus the huge influx of mainly DPS players which also coincided with being favored in patches).

Playing a warrior was pretty bad when I played during BC, it's not a really exciting class to play until you get up in levels...and then it's all gear based on your spec. Then they'd come a long and nerf something crucial to your spec and it'd be like that for almost a month...and be thrown back in at a later date as an afterthought.

And kinda an afterthought on BGs...they suck at low levels because they let all the super twinks in the same BGs as the guys who barely have anything. So one guy can wipe out most of your team. Which kind of takes a lot of the fun of WoW away from players who are trying to get into it. It never gives them a chance to learn because they get absolutely destroyed. Then at max level they kinda learn and start to get items to make em less sucky...and find out they really weren't doing anything wrong..they were just undergeared and being paired against "ringers". Not a fun process, so them doing anything to speed gearing up...good.
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older