Portal Patched

Steam News announces a new patch is now automatically available for Portal, to update Valve's first-person puzzle game. The list of changes follows.

• Fixed screen "fuzziness" caused by color correction operation
  • Fixed text not rendering in game if font Tahoma was disabled
  • Fixed startup video not playing fullscreen
  • Added optional -snd_openal command line parameter to force the engine to use the OpenAL api, can be used if Portal is playing no audio when launched normally
  • Added mac_fsbackground convar, on Snow Leopard or better you can set this to have Portal still visible when it is not the foreground application
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Fix the bugs before you ship the game.
May 14, 2010, 08:46
Re: Fix the bugs before you ship the game. May 14, 2010, 08:46
May 14, 2010, 08:46

A patch story thread goes out of control on Bluesnews.

May 14, 2010, 07:58
Re: Fix the bugs before you ship the game. May 14, 2010, 07:58
May 14, 2010, 07:58

Sarcasm has no place in the written word unless its blatantly obvious. With that said, this is one case where it IS blatantly obvious...
I have a nifty blue line!

Re: Portal Patched
May 14, 2010, 07:55
nin
Re: Portal Patched May 14, 2010, 07:55
May 14, 2010, 07:55
nin

I can't believe the level of this conversation.....pretty lame guys....

It's Assley Putz, what do you expect?

May 14, 2010, 07:22
Re: Fix the bugs before you ship the game. May 14, 2010, 07:22
May 14, 2010, 07:22

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 14, 2010, 01:03:
Diabolus in Musica wrote on May 13, 2010, 23:00:
Stop patching your games Valve! Damn you!
I would prefer that Valve stop putting bugs in them to start with. This game is almost three years old. At least some of these bugs (like the first four) could have been caught and fixed long before now like in testing before the release of the game.

You need to check his past posts and your the 2nd or 3rd person to totally miss the sarcasm about Valve patching their games.

May 14, 2010, 06:42
Re: Portal Patched May 14, 2010, 06:42
May 14, 2010, 06:42

I can't believe the level of this conversation.....pretty lame guys....

Re: Next time read before you reply.
May 14, 2010, 06:09
Re: Next time read before you reply. May 14, 2010, 06:09
May 14, 2010, 06:09

One of the best games ever. Patch or no patch.
I have a nifty blue line!

May 14, 2010, 06:07
Sho

Re: Next time read before you reply. May 14, 2010, 06:07
May 14, 2010, 06:07
 Sho

Only a fanboy would deny it in face of the long evidence.

For the record, I don't particularly care about Valve's games.

As I wrote earlier, Dev's examples make a convincing case that not all is well in Valve release engineering and QA, and I can totally understand if that frustrates people who buy their games.

Taking offense at it as you did is "getting your panties in a twist".

Actually I mostly took offense at the boundless arrogance you embedded in those posts, combined with the fact that you didn't do your homework properly, i.e. your mischaracterization of the fixes in this particular patch. It does rub me the wrong way if people grandstand without making sure they have their ducks in a row to justify it, that is true.

In any case, I think the topic of the patch is pretty well-covered by now, and continuing this cock fight seems rather pointless.

May 14, 2010, 05:51
Sho

Re: Fix the bugs before you ship the game. May 14, 2010, 05:51
May 14, 2010, 05:51
 Sho

Then why update the PC version if they don't apply?

There may be technical reasons for that, such as keeping the version numbers in sync for multiplayer compatibility. They may also have made further minor changes not mentioned in the changelog that apply to the game on all platforms. Dunno. If you find fault with my technical explanations, do tell - they're certainly speculation rather than fact, but based on many years of experience as a software engineer and writing changelogs.

I merely made the point in my initial reply to post #2 that praising Valve for fixing bugs years after the errors are made isn't justified. It should be expected, and they should have been fixed much earlier.

I think I explained fairly well earlier why those fixes on the whole don't seem to apply to bugs that were introduced years ago but in relatively new code :).

May 14, 2010, 05:22
Dev
Re: Next time read before you reply. May 14, 2010, 05:22
May 14, 2010, 05:22
Dev

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 14, 2010, 04:55:
There's no "might" about it. Only a fanboy would deny it in face of the long evidence. And, I didn't even touch on how Valve's "fixes" frequently break other things in its games which have to be fixed later as Dev did below.
Whats really sad is that I took ONE game and picked a FEW changes in less than ONE month that valve did

The one good thing that this shows is that the TF2 team is at least paying some kinda attention to the game. With L4D2 (and 1) it sometimes goes more than a month without a single patch. Its like the black sheep of the family. And valve claimed it would get MORE support, more content and FASTER updates than TF2. hah.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2010, 05:29.

Next time read before you reply.
May 14, 2010, 04:55
Next time read before you reply. May 14, 2010, 04:55
May 14, 2010, 04:55

Sho wrote on May 14, 2010, 04:07:
There's plenty of companies that do shitty QA, I'm certainly not denying that. Valve might even be one of them
There's no "might" about it. Only a fanboy would deny it in face of the long evidence. And, I didn't even touch on how Valve's "fixes" frequently break other things in its games which have to be fixed later as Dev did below.

that might explain why I've Got The News Blues is so angry, then.
Actually I only got irritated over being called ignorant by Trooper119. My initial post in this thread (#3) may be critical of Valve's lack of QA, but it's far from harsh. Taking offense at it as you did is "getting your panties in a twist".

I don't regularly read their changelogs closely
That's obvious.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2010, 05:17.

May 14, 2010, 04:43
Re: Fix the bugs before you ship the game. May 14, 2010, 04:43
May 14, 2010, 04:43

Sho wrote on May 14, 2010, 03:17:
Looking at the bugs, I have to disagree.
You should have looked at the "such as" part of the line you quoted instead. My comment didn't refer necessarily or specifically to these particular bugs. That's why I wrote the original sentence the way I did. It was a comment about bugs in general. This is hardly the first time which Valve has fixed bugs in its games long after their initial release.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I doubt any of these changes really apply to a "three-year old game"
Then why update the PC version if they don't apply? Why change the PC version at all if they aren't needed? Just because the game was ported to the Macintosh doesn't mean that the PC version needs to be touched at all. As I pointed out it's a three year old game. It doesn't need to be changed if it's not broken. But, the PC version of the game was patched. That's why these notes don't say that the fixes only apply to the Macintosh version.

Out of things to get one's panties in a twist over, this is a strange one.
Again you obviously didn't read all of my previous posts in this thread or understand them. I was not actually upset that these particular bugs weren't fixed before. I merely made the point in my initial reply to post #2 that praising Valve for fixing bugs years after the errors are made isn't justified. It should be expected, and they should have been fixed much earlier.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2010, 05:19.

May 14, 2010, 04:32
Sho

Re: Portal Patched May 14, 2010, 04:32
May 14, 2010, 04:32
 Sho

Yuck, the picture painted by those examples is pretty grim indeed ... considering how long they've been using that same engine now and that it supports demo recording/playback pretty well iirc, they should have coded up a unit testing framework for automated testing of basic gameplay to catch things like the teleporter example by now.

May 14, 2010, 04:20
Dev
Re: Portal Patched May 14, 2010, 04:20
May 14, 2010, 04:20
Dev

Sho wrote on May 14, 2010, 04:07:
There's plenty of companies that do shitty QA, I'm certainly not denying that. Valve might even be one of them - that might explain why I've Got The News Blues is so angry, then. I don't regularly read their changelogs closely, the debate here just kinda provoked me into doing that for once and the claims I-G-T-N-B made about it didn't check out for me.

I made a bunch of updates to the below post listing some of the more egregious fixes for TF2 in less than ONE MONTH, and some of the steam client changes in only a couple months. Keep in mind that these are only the ones I considered most rediculous in terms of not testing. I didn't even mention them all either, for instance one for the new steam ui said they fixed a bug where w2k wouldn't start steam. Kinda silly not to have at least one computer on dual boot with w2k to at least see if you can START steam, even if nothing else.

If you want to research it yourself, heres the TF2 news page:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=440

and steam client updates page:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_client

This comment was edited on May 14, 2010, 04:29.

May 14, 2010, 04:07
Sho

Re: Portal Patched May 14, 2010, 04:07
May 14, 2010, 04:07
 Sho

There's plenty of companies that do shitty QA, I'm certainly not denying that. Valve might even be one of them - that might explain why I've Got The News Blues is so angry, then. I don't regularly read their changelogs closely, the debate here just kinda provoked me into doing that for once and the claims I-G-T-N-B made about it didn't check out for me.

May 14, 2010, 04:01
Dev
Re: Portal Patched May 14, 2010, 04:01
May 14, 2010, 04:01
Dev

Then again valve has bugs like they introduced in one of the recent TF2 patches, where the engineer could build unlimited buildings.

You wanna tell me they competantly tested that?

There are many others if you regularly read changelog to many of valves games (TF2 or L4D2 for instance) or steam itself, and you'll groan.

I'll throw out a couple random examples.
steam client:
Added the ability to enable or disable DirectWrite based font-rendering in the settings dialog
(really? After tons of people complained in beta about it? I had the same problem, text looked FUGLY with weird shades of color. Here's an example of them ignoring the new steam ui beta comments for months)

Fixed potential memory corruption crash for some first time users installing from a retail install disc
(really guys? You didn't check to see if you could still install RETAIL copies of your games?)

Fixed issue preventing Madballs from properly running
(really guys? Right around the time you had this for a steam sale weekend? It might help to read your own forums you know)

Fix reconnect attempts while Friends/VAC is offline causing stuttering in the client and potentially in Steamworks games
(really guys? You didn't check to see what would happen if steam went offline while playing a game, you just assumed anyone's computer could handle 10,000 connects a second, and that your servers would be fine with 1 million people doing the same in what amounts to a ddos attack?)

Added DirectX 11 and DirectX 10.1 support from the in-game overlay
(really guys? Feb of 2010, and those have been out how long? Years? And you are JUST NOW supporting it?)

TF2:
Fixed dropped weapons and ammo kits not being affected by explosions.

Fixed an issue where Linux dedicated servers would not automatically retrieve master server addresses
(really guys? Did you only test windows servers then and ignore your linux client in the last couple updates?)

Fixed players seeing cloaked Spies when they should be fully cloaked
(come on, you can't tell me they did much testing not to notice this being introduced in a patch)

Fixed a client crash caused by players calling for a Medic
(same comment as above)

Fixed a client crash on shutdown
(wait, lets test the client... BUT NEVER SHUT IT DOWN!)

Fixed Teleporters not reverting to level 1 when their other side is destroyed.
(another very obvious issue that would be seen from playing a single test match with a competant engineer doing a teleporter)

Or that nvidia competantly tested the driver they released that screwed the fan control so bad it was burning up cards?

This comment was edited on May 14, 2010, 04:24.

May 14, 2010, 03:17
Sho

Re: Fix the bugs before you ship the game. May 14, 2010, 03:17
May 14, 2010, 03:17
 Sho

There is no valid reason why bugs such as these couldn't be rooted out before release in a timely manner.

Looking at the bugs, I have to disagree. Your earlier post referred to the fact that the game is three years old at this point, but to me this patch changelog feels like a number of these are fixes for new regressions rather than three-year old bugs, probably due to recent engine changes brought about by the brand-new Mac release. A Mac port means an OpenGL port of the engine, which means significant amounts of new code, and their changelog doesn't say which fixes apply to which platform (except for that last one that mentions OS X Snow Leopard by name).

So let's look at them more closely:

Fixed screen "fuzziness" caused by color correction operation

This is probably a Mac-only "fix". I put fix in quotation marks because I have a feeling whether it was actually broken is probably contentious; this sounds like a change in response to customer feedback about the looks of things. The reason I assume it only affects the Mac release is because color correction is a post-processing shader effect, and an OpenGL port requires rewriting all shaders in GLSL rather than HLSL, which means new code only exposed to customers now.

Fixed text not rendering in game if font Tahoma was disabled

Hard to say. Might be a fix for the Windows version. If so, it's certainly a fix for an extreme edge case, because a Windows system without the font that's been Windows' standard UI font for a decade or so (up until Vista, but it's still bundled and used hard-coded by many apps) is likely to be pretty rare. It might be for the Mac version, though, because Mac OS X has a built-in ability to disable fonts without uninstalling them, and the changelog uses that term. That said, Steam for Mac is only supported on Mac OS X 10.5 and higher, and all versions of Mac OS X since and including 10.5 have bundled Tahoma by default. Since it's used on a ton of websites and is a well-implemented screen font, most users won't disable it. So, still an edge case and something that's rather easy to miss before letting what is essentially a new game (code-wise and platform-wise) out into the wild.

Fixed startup video not playing fullscreen

Pretty sure this is also Mac-only, because I don't see how it wouldn't have been fixed long ago for the Windows version. I agree though that it's curious how this particular problem got through QA, unless the problem is somehow contingent on a particular hardware/software environment (but then, the Macintosh hardware/software environment is much less varied than the PC world, so it's easier on QA).

Added optional -snd_openal command line parameter to force the engine to use the OpenAL api, can be used if Portal is playing no audio when launched normally

Sounds Mac-only, too, and is not really a bugfix but probably more of a workaround for people to try who have some problem with their audio hardware when the game is using the Core Audio API rather than OpenAL. OpenAL is also available on Windows (and Linux, where it actually originated), but AFAIK the Source engine doesn't use it there.

Added mac_fsbackground convar, on Snow Leopard or better you can set this to have Portal still visible when it is not the foreground application

Also pretty workaround-ish, I think. Most likely they chose to suspend the game when Alt+Tabbing away to save the CPU cycles (and on laptops, consequently, battery power), but this then means that the Exposé window overview feature on OS X won't show a live view of the game anymore, and this option allows you to force it not to suspend. It's also conceivable that it's a proper bug though if they forgot to limit the suspend logic to the fullscreen case, i.e. if the game suspends every time its window loses focus. Obviously this paragraph has been heavy on speculation.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I doubt any of these changes really apply to a "three-year old game" -- the Mac version is new, and substantially different code-wise. That's no excuse for bad QA, obviously, but none of these sound particularly scandalous. Runs the gamut from feedback-motivated visual change to fixes for rare edge cases to providing workarounds for those stuck with faulty drivers or so. Out of things to get one's panties in a twist over, this is a strange one.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2010, 04:02.

May 14, 2010, 01:56
Re: Fix the bugs before you ship the game. May 14, 2010, 01:56
May 14, 2010, 01:56

Trooper119 wrote on May 14, 2010, 01:40:
So your saying they not only left the bugs but created them in the first place?
If Valve's programmers didn't create these bugs, who do you think did? Gremlins? Valve may have not created them on purpose, but it still created them and failed to remove them before now.

On top of that you wanted them to delay the game for bugs
Fixing bugs such as these doesn't necessarily mean delaying a game (which is why if you actually read my post you would see that I didn't mention delaying it at all). It only does if a company is incompetent at time management or quality assurance testing or both. There is no valid reason why bugs such as these couldn't be rooted out before release in a timely manner.

for bugs I've never even heard people complain about let alone experienced myself.
Well if you never heard of these bugs or experienced them, then they must matter or even be real. You're a real medical marvel. You're both full of yourself and of shit at the same time.

I doubt anyone could be that ignorant.
Having read your post that's not surprising. You'd know real ignorance if you read your writing.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2010, 02:54.

May 14, 2010, 01:40
Re: Fix the bugs before you ship the game. May 14, 2010, 01:40
May 14, 2010, 01:40

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 14, 2010, 01:03:
I would prefer that Valve stop putting bugs in them to start with. This game is almost three years old. At least some of these bugs (like the first four) could have been caught and fixed long before now like in testing before the release of the game.

So your saying they not only left the bugs but created them in the first place? On top of that you wanted them to delay the game for bugs I've never even heard people complain about let alone experienced myself.

I'm going to assume you simply didn't realize what you were typing because I doubt anyone could be that ignorant.

May 14, 2010, 01:08
Kxmode

Re: Portal Patched May 14, 2010, 01:08
May 14, 2010, 01:08
 Kxmode

I put the opening portal on the patch and the exiting portal on PORTAL. Upgrade complete!
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Fix the bugs before you ship the game.
May 14, 2010, 01:03
Fix the bugs before you ship the game. May 14, 2010, 01:03
May 14, 2010, 01:03

Diabolus in Musica wrote on May 13, 2010, 23:00:
Stop patching your games Valve! Damn you!

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older