Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October

The Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Facebook Page celebrates Star Wars day (May the Fourth be with you) with an official release date for the Windows edition of the Star Wars action game sequel. Word is the PC version will be available on October 26, 2010. Thanks MTV Multiplayer.
View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October
May 5, 2010, 17:45
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 17:45
May 5, 2010, 17:45

I don't need to 'face' anything, I'm capable of accepting gameplay and story segregation. What do I need to face, that I can have more fun playing videogames than you because I'm not hung up that much on the fluff? Oh no, what will I do?

KotOR also, despite its genre and mechanics, features multiple instances in fights of lightsabers directly smacking people around and resulting in little more than a flinch. That doesn't agree with movie-canon either. It's the same as Force Unleashed, and still, who cares?

This is like nitpicking a Star Trek game because an engineer says you shouldn't reverse the polarity on something. You can either sit back and enjoy your escapism, or you can be one of these guys.
NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

May 5, 2010, 15:50
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 15:50
May 5, 2010, 15:50

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on May 5, 2010, 08:58:

And every first-person shooter is automatically worthless because guns don't do so little damage to the enemy per-shot in real life, and I can't recover instantly either by hiding around a corner for a few seconds or grabbing a box of bandages if I myself am shot.

Or not. By this logic, Knights of the Old Republic also sucks. Welcome to gameplay and story segregation.

A more appropriate analogy would be an FPS where your guns didn't actually shoot bullets. You used them as clubs. Guns shoot projectiles. Lightsabers slice sh*t up easily. Unless you play force unleashed, in which case you are better off upgrading force lightning to max and running around zapping everyone with that.

As far as Knights, it's an RPG, it takes place 5000 years before Star Wars when Jedi were prevalent and cortosis had a need, and it didn't take place twenty years after 99.9% of all the lightsaber-wielding enemies were completely destroyed. I mean who steps up mining/processing of a rare mineral that is resistant to lightsabers when THERE IS NOBODY USING LIGHTSABERS. Sloppy design.

Knights also is not an action game where the designers specifically said they wanted to make you feel like an incredibly badass Jedi. Force Unleashed claimed to be an experience being a Jedi, instead it was a beat-em-up with kewl powerz.

Other action games have handled the lightsaber damage without having to completely nerf the game and kept it closer to canon. I don't mind toning down the saber from an insta-kill weapon, but seriously, when it literally takes 20+ strikes to kill a non-boss or even a non-midboss, there's something wrong with that implementation. The problem is that instead of accepting that you have a lightsaber and are going to chop some sh*t up and then coming up with scenarios where having a lightsaber isn't an instant "I win", they decided to simply give half the enemies stupid amounts of hitpoints.

Even then I wouldn't mind *quite* so much if the enemy wasn't able to juggle you so easily, OR if the last few levels of the game weren't mainly these heavy troops who took billions of hits from a lightsaber or one full blast of force lightning to kill.

Face it dude, it was just a poorly designed game with some decent conceptual ideas.

May 5, 2010, 13:57
nin
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 13:57
May 5, 2010, 13:57
nin

The huge 25gig install!

I still don't understand that.

May 5, 2010, 13:42
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 13:42
May 5, 2010, 13:42

This is good news!
Force Unleashed for PC worked perfectly fine for me and on my son's computer as well which is no powerhouse of a system by any means. The controls were just fine and I enjoyed it beginning to end.
The only issues I had with the game were:
The huge 25gig install!
The lightsaber doesn't cut through anything! It might as well be the lightbat!
That's about it.
It makes me wonder when so many complain about PC controls which I never have a problem with. Are you guys seasoned PC gamers? Sometimes some controls in games might feel a little off but with a little tweaking they are usually just fine. I play everything with keyboard and mouse no matter what genre and just as long as a game supports it I usually have no issues whatsoever.

I'm happy to see the PC version doesn't have to wait a year this time and I'll be buying it day one for sure.
"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

May 5, 2010, 10:46
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 10:46
May 5, 2010, 10:46

Not sure on this one. The first one was cool from a theoretical sense, but in practicality the game sucked. Put me down as one who thought the lightsaber was grossly underpowered and it seemed like the emphasis was ONLY put on the force powers. One of the most annoying parts (for me anyway) was that once the character went into a stumble animation or after getting hit, you had about 2 - 3 seconds where you were completely vulnerable regardless of what you did. During that time, another enemy would attack, causing the animation to reset and thus allowing you, the bad-ass Jedi, to get your ass kicked because of an animation flaw. This is what ruined the game for me and really took away from feeling like a force to be reckoned with.
~~Crim~~

May 5, 2010, 10:10
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 10:10
May 5, 2010, 10:10

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on May 5, 2010, 08:58:
And every first-person shooter is automatically worthless because guns don't do so little damage to the enemy per-shot in real life, and I can't recover instantly either by hiding around a corner for a few seconds or grabbing a box of bandages if I myself am shot.

Or not. By this logic, Knights of the Old Republic also sucks. Welcome to gameplay and story segregation.

I won't argue that logic, in fact I shake my head when a game has like 10 rounds into a torso to take down a guy not even wearing a vest.

However, with the latest Jedi game it's a bit more insane.

We have a blade of pure energy capable of cutting through metal like a hot knife through butter. It can slice off limbs like you were taking apart a snowman. It can sit there and melt a hole through a large armored door. You don't want to even *touch* the blade, or else your finger will evaporate!

And now it takes several swings to take down a guy. You might as well be carrying a lead pipe.

I can understand it from a game mechanic point of view, you don't want an uber-weapon that makes the game an automatic easy mode. The alternative is to constantly face enemies that are able to constantly dodge your attacks with their own Force talents or super reflexes, possibly with sabers of their own. And that is less-than-realistic as well.

The only options are:
  • You just run around auto-killing anything you touch
  • You make the bad guys resistant to the blade
  • You make the bad guys capable of dodging your attacks: jedi clones, fast androids/cyborgs/etc.
  • You start out with a simple metal sword since yours was lost/destroyed and only recover the actual saber later in the game

This comment was edited on May 5, 2010, 10:22.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

May 5, 2010, 10:07
Rigs

Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 10:07
May 5, 2010, 10:07
 Rigs

I don't know what the worst Star Wars game of all time is, Force Unleashed or Phantom Menace.

How soon we forget the coding disaster that was Force Commander. I, personally, was ok-ish with it, and the remixed original score was different (though I remember fans at the time wanted to hang the audio director off a bridge by his balls for the atrocity of messing with John Williams' perfection). I've found over the years that even if a game isn't that bad, and some gamers actually like it somewhat, if it gets huge negative feedback, they'll jump on the bandwagon just to be a part of the status-quo. They took a chance to put Star Wars into a 3D real-time tactical strategy game at the time and it really didn't work because the technology wasn't mature enough to do what they originally intended. I think Star Wars: Empire At War kind of redeemed it in some ways by being very playable and enjoyable...

SW:FU was pretty amazing, IMO. I played quite a bit of it on my PS3 and jumped at it when the Sith edition came out on the PC. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to run at the time (not likely the games fault totally, I was having problems across the board around that time due to a trojan/virus) so it's sat here. I just re-installed it last week and plan to get into it this weekend...

On a semi-related note, I also found my Star Wars: Rebellion cd after about 5 years of it missing. It just turned up out of nowhere one day in a place I swore I had looked before... *shrugs* ...now, that was a good Star Wars strategy game!

=-Rigs-=
'Sorry, we thought you were dead.'
'I was. I'm better now.'

May 5, 2010, 08:58
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 08:58
May 5, 2010, 08:58

Flatline wrote on May 5, 2010, 03:04:
Lightsabers felt more like boffer weapons than actual laser swords.

It was a beat-em-up in star wars clothes. Which means it sucked. Never in 6 movies has anyone with a lightsaber had to successfully slash multiple times to do damage to an enemy.

Cortosis weave destroyed Star Wars Jedi games sadly. It went from being a very rare mineral to everyone having it in everything.

May 5, 2010, 08:19
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 08:19
May 5, 2010, 08:19

Cutter wrote on May 4, 2010, 22:25:
Hell, the only thing I've read in the last 10 years that redeemed Star Wars at all was Timothy Zahn's Thawn trilogy. Now that's something worthy of films and games. Everything else has been schlock for the masses.

Zawn's stuff was great, no doubt.

I read the recent "Legacy of the Force" series, some of the books were quite good. It was a large-ish series covered by (I think) 3 authors so as a whole it felt a little uneven.
  • The Boba Fett books of the storyline were quite good
  • The latest Skywalker's fall to the Dark Side was a LOT more interesting than Episodes 1 through 3.

Before the Legacy series I hadn't read any Star Wars books in over a decade.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2010, 10:07.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

May 5, 2010, 07:17
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 07:17
May 5, 2010, 07:17

The PC port is fine if you ask me... 30fps is the main complaint I see, but for a game like this it is perfectly fine, and you can force massive AA on this puppy and never lose a frame. It looks much, much better on PC.

May 5, 2010, 04:30
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 04:30
May 5, 2010, 04:30

Great!....not.
I have a nifty blue line!

May 5, 2010, 03:24
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 03:24
May 5, 2010, 03:24

eRe4s3r wrote on May 4, 2010, 21:08:
You would if you had played the PC port of it

Recently bought it on-sale. After patching, performance is pretty good on a three-year-old machine.

I would prefer traditional PC controls, though, and I don't like auto-aim.

May 5, 2010, 03:04
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 03:04
May 5, 2010, 03:04

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on May 5, 2010, 00:46:
I don't know why Force Unleashed got so much hate either

Lightsabers felt more like boffer weapons than actual laser swords.

It was a beat-em-up in star wars clothes. Which means it sucked. Never in 6 movies has anyone with a lightsaber had to successfully slash multiple times to do damage to an enemy.

Cortosis weave destroyed Star Wars Jedi games sadly. It went from being a very rare mineral to everyone having it in everything.

May 5, 2010, 02:43
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 02:43
May 5, 2010, 02:43

I love Star Wars, I even like Episode 1-3 to some extend. But this game was just horrible.
The controls were extremely crappy and generally the whole game seemed to me like a childs game and an extremely shitty console game. Both the characters and the story seemed to have written by some 12 year old fanboy with a boner...
I really dont care for a second part.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

May 5, 2010, 01:06
Kxmode

Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 01:06
May 5, 2010, 01:06
 Kxmode

Did you ever play the Jedi games back in the day, US? Granted Force Unleashed didn't suck as bad as most people made it out, but it fell well short of its potential. Sort of like how most superhero games have sucked untill Arkham Asylum. Granted LA wants to keep it "family friendly" to maximize sales, but how much more kickass would it be giving a game like that a much more adult, serious treatment. I was so stoked for that game when the the first CGI trailer was released with the Sith Lord stopping that Imperial Star Cruiser from crashing into him...now that was badass! Then the game turned into a console Saturday morning cartoon.

Star Wars was made for kids. You just grew up.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

May 5, 2010, 01:05
Kxmode

Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 01:05
May 5, 2010, 01:05
 Kxmode

Good thing I have a 1TB HD. I might need another 500GB for the patches.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

May 5, 2010, 00:46
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 00:46
May 5, 2010, 00:46

The Half Elf wrote on May 4, 2010, 23:48:
I agree Cutter that would have been a great 'holy shit' moment but in the actual game you had to deal with annoying Tie Fighters that just ruined what could have been a 'bad ass' moment.

Really, it wasn't so much the TIE fighters as it was that the sequence was by far the most bugged-out portion of the game. If it were easier to actually lock into the fighters like it is with every other single object in the game, zapping them or grabbing and throwing them wouldn't have been nearly as frustrating, and it would've been an entertaining little part of a great in-game, play-instead-of-watch-cutscene sequence.

I don't know why Force Unleashed got so much hate either, it wasn't perfect, but it was a fun romp. It seems like it's actual flaws go overlooked; poor graphics (seriously, the PC port took so long because it doesn't scale well? Those graphics not scaling well has to be the most inefficient coding ever) repetitive environments (maybe instead of spending so much to make three entirely different games to get one on every goddamn platform, you could give the core dev team more money to make additional assets so the plot doesn't railroad the second half of the game into revisiting the first half?) and the materials system the dev team jizzed about being so awesome and such a massive step towards improved realism was both nothing new (Half-Life 2, anyone?) and completely underused to the point where no one would've noticed if it wasn't even there.

May 5, 2010, 00:06
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 5, 2010, 00:06
May 5, 2010, 00:06

Think we'll see another Jedi Knight game?

Some of the most fun I've ever had while gaming was while playing Outcast... and I can still go back to it and have a blast (mind you, with the dismemberment console code :D)

Hell, I'd kill for that game to be redone entirely the same, except upgrade the graphics to this generation.
That, and SHOGO 2 are the two games that I ultimately want, which will no doubt, never see the light of day.

May 4, 2010, 23:48
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 4, 2010, 23:48
May 4, 2010, 23:48

I agree Cutter that would have been a great 'holy shit' moment but in the actual game you had to deal with annoying Tie Fighters that just ruined what could have been a 'bad ass' moment.

May 4, 2010, 23:25
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 4, 2010, 23:25
May 4, 2010, 23:25

Did you ever play the Jedi games back in the day, US? Granted Force Unleashed didn't suck as bad as most people made it out, but it fell well short of its potential. Sort of like how most superhero games have sucked untill Arkham Asylum. Granted LA wants to keep it "family friendly" to maximize sales, but how much more kickass would it be giving a game like that a much more adult, serious treatment. I was so stoked for that game when the the first CGI trailer was released with the Sith Lord stopping that Imperial Star Cruiser from crashing into him...now that was badass! Then the game turned into a console Saturday morning cartoon.

I did. I think I played every "classic" or major star wars release on the computer. Probably the closest to "getting it right" was Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy. Of course, multiplayer had ass-fighting (people would run around backwards and stabbing each other that way for high damage) and Death From Above (a slow-ish lunge that for a while was insta-kill), but you could carve just about anything short of a Jedi up with no issues.

Today, LucasArts is obsessed with the prequel trilogy, and only really puts out products related to that Force Unleashed was really unusual in that it actually nodded to the original movies.

I mean, who here wouldn't kill for a top-notch x-wing or tie fighter game again? We'll never see one I suspect, sadly.

Hell, the only thing I've read in the last 10 years that redeemed Star Wars at all was Timothy Zahn's Thawn trilogy.

That was written in the early 90's if memory serves. They used Thrawn in TIE Fighter which came out in 1994.
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older