10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
View : : :
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Steam Bestsellers
May 4, 2010, 16:38
Re: Steam Bestsellers May 4, 2010, 16:38
May 4, 2010, 16:38

Either you actually bought the game, or the DRM is already cracked a week after release.

It was cracked, of course. Not that improbable. Once DRM is cracked, cracking it becomes easier with every game.

May 4, 2010, 07:57
Re: Steam Bestsellers May 4, 2010, 07:57
May 4, 2010, 07:57

Jerykk wrote on May 3, 2010, 12:31:
Conviction isn't as bad as I thought it would be...

Okay, one of 2 highly improbable things happened. Either you actually bought the game, or the DRM is already cracked a week after release. So which is it?

Okay, I suppose you could have played a friends legal copy, but that takes the fun out of it. Besides, we all know you don't have any friends!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 3, 2010, 23:10
Re: Steam Bestsellers May 3, 2010, 23:10
May 3, 2010, 23:10

I can't imagine trying to play a stealth game where you can't determine which areas allow you to hide. That's just mindbogglingly wrong.

In Conviction, it's more about breaking line of sight using cover than hiding in shadows. The cover doesn't even have to conceal your whole body. The top of your head or parts of your limbs can be poking out and guards won't see you. Conversely, shadows are far less reliable due to their now binary nature. If you're in a shadow, you're either hidden or you aren't. It's not like in the previous games where you had varying degrees of concealment. Step one inch too far in Conviction and poof, you are completely revealed.

In conclusion, Conviction is definitely a step back from its predecessors. Fewer features and fewer options for stealth, along with an excessive streamlining of pretty much everything. Still, it is rewarding to overcome the designers' intentions and actually sneak your way through the game.

May 3, 2010, 18:49
Re: Steam Bestsellers May 3, 2010, 18:49
May 3, 2010, 18:49

Jerykk wrote on May 3, 2010, 12:31:
It's also much harder to tell what shadows can be hidden in. Unlike the previous games, the shadows in Conviction are much brighter and you couldn't realistically hide in any of them. You may have two shadows with the same darkness but only one of them can be hidden in. It's even harder to distinguish between shadows when you're hidden because the screen turns grayscale.

I can't imagine trying to play a stealth game where you can't determine which areas allow you to hide. That's just mindbogglingly wrong.

May 3, 2010, 16:11
Re: Steam Bestsellers May 3, 2010, 16:11
May 3, 2010, 16:11

I've been waiting for DIRT 2 to go on sale, that Codemasters Racing Pack was a steal! Bummer about FUEL tho, looks like they are still waiting to get more keys.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2010, 10:08.
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

May 3, 2010, 15:50
Re: Steam Bestsellers May 3, 2010, 15:50
May 3, 2010, 15:50

I hate the cover system. I hate trying to figure out exactly where to point to get the next cover marker to show up, only to determine that some object, despite being plenty big enough, is not marked as a cover location, so I can't hit space to move quickly to cover there.

Also, the ability to target enemies from cover and get headshots just by sticking the gun out blindly over your head is just dumb.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

May 3, 2010, 12:31
Re: Steam Bestsellers May 3, 2010, 12:31
May 3, 2010, 12:31

Conviction isn't as bad as I thought it would be. With sufficient creativity (and patience), it's actually possible to sneak your way through most of the game without killing anyone. However, it's very clear that the designers want you to kill most enemies.

There are a few major annoyances, though. For one, you can't move bodies. Secondly, you can't pick up and throw random objects to distract guards. Finally, guards are extremely paranoid and will raise the alarm if they notice even the slightest thing out of the ordinary. For example, you can flick a light switch on and off, at which point a guard will walk over, look at the light switch and then shout "OH SHIT! FISHER'S HERE! KILL THAT MOTHERFUCKER!!" Once enemies go on alert, they stay on alert forever. While that would make sense if they found a body, it makes no sense for extremely minor things like lights occasionally turning off and on.

The AI detection algorithms are a bit wonky too. You can do the exact same thing three times and one of those times, the AI will see you instantly while other times they won't see you at all. It's also much harder to tell what shadows can be hidden in. Unlike the previous games, the shadows in Conviction are much brighter and you couldn't realistically hide in any of them. You may have two shadows with the same darkness but only one of them can be hidden in. It's even harder to distinguish between shadows when you're hidden because the screen turns grayscale.
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older