Battlestations Developer Closed

Develop has news that Square Enix Europe admits having closed Eidos Hungary, developers of the Battlestations series. "We were pleased with Eidos Hungary [developer of the Battlestations series], but I think we realised that to be first or best in the RTS genre was going to be really challenging. It wasn’t necessarily something we were going to win," says Square Enix Europe CEO Phil Rogers. "On the balance of all that we decided that we would focus elsewhere and not move forward with the Battlestations IP and Eidos Hungary." Thanks Big Download.
View : : :
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

Re: Battlestations Developer Closed
Apr 20, 2010, 01:21
Re: Battlestations Developer Closed Apr 20, 2010, 01:21
Apr 20, 2010, 01:21

I didn't realize the Battlestation games were supposed to be RTSes.

Apr 20, 2010, 02:07
Re: Battlestations Developer Closed Apr 20, 2010, 02:07
Apr 20, 2010, 02:07

Noooooo! That means Mithis is gone... well.. maybe they can reform as Mithis again and continue with that Nexus 2 engine or return to Imperium Galactica..

Apr 20, 2010, 03:15
Re: Battlestations Developer Closed Apr 20, 2010, 03:15
Apr 20, 2010, 03:15

That's a shame, because the Battlestations series is something unique.
Air/Naval RTS - Command map + 3rd person control.

The comment about not being first or best in rts genre I don't quite follow.
Do all entries in a genre have to aim for the number one/mainstream, can't they carve out their own sub-genre/niche within the genre instead? Battlestations had already found it.

Even just saying a game is RTS is too broad these days as there's a couple of 'mainstream' sub genres for rts.

Anyway, as for where the Battlestations series could have gone:

The series was just two entries, based on ww2 pacific.

They could have tried a game based in the Atlantic, though I can see the reduced variety in warfare/ being mostly dominated by uboat warfare being a potential downer for that. Still there were some interesting battles, and they could have built upon what they already had.

Or maybe a shift to modern naval/air warfare might have worked, a bit of a more action oriented/looser version of Janes Fleet Command.

Apr 20, 2010, 03:19
Prez

Re: Battlestations Developer Closed Apr 20, 2010, 03:19
Apr 20, 2010, 03:19
 Prez

These games were really entertaining. Too bad - I would have liked to see a more modern conflict covered using their game design.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 20, 2010, 07:58
Re: Battlestations Developer Closed Apr 20, 2010, 07:58
Apr 20, 2010, 07:58

Considering what their influence did to supreme commander 2, I doubt they were ever on course to become best in the RTS genre

edit: Square that is, not Eidos Hungary
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer