Mass Effect 2 DLC

IGN reports that the promised release of Kasumi's Stolen Memory, the new DLC for Mass Effect 2, hit a snag that prevented its release earlier today. They report this has now been cleared up, and the DLC is available for 560 MS Points ($7.00 USD).
View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC
Apr 7, 2010, 10:21
Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 7, 2010, 10:21
Apr 7, 2010, 10:21

Isn't this what the typical expansion does, add on after the main campaign? Dragon Age Awakening, for example. That doesn't mean PoP was unfinished any more than Dragon Age was, really, and I hear that epilogue was pointless.
I find it perfectly reasonable and even expected that expansions continue the main campaign. In my view, the only real difference between a solid expansion and a "real" sequel, is the reuse of the existing engine/toolset with only minor changes, allowing for a much much short time to market, but still giving a massively larger possible scope than tiny bits and pieces of DLC.

As far as PoP goes, episodic DLC is probably what UBI had in mind with PoP from the start. The game ended on a major cliff-hanger. The DLC continued right where it left off and ended on a slightly smaller cliffhanger, which probably would've been followed by yet more episodes if the game had sold better. Of course these episodes, when put together, would've formed a cohesive unit that could be released as a stand-alone expansion but if that was the plan then I would rather see it released as an expansion in the first place. Most DLC could not really be put together in this fashion though, being compact and completely disconnected units by definition.

Apr 7, 2010, 07:21
Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 7, 2010, 07:21
Apr 7, 2010, 07:21

peteham wrote on Apr 7, 2010, 05:24:
Case in point: The Prince of Persia epilogue, which picked up right after the end of the main-game cliffhanger. Granted, I did enjoy the extra hour or two but I'm not thrilled about having to throw down a few extra bucks in order to see the full story..
Fortunately it hasn't been repeated by other studios as far as I know(?).

Isn't this what the typical expansion does, add on after the main campaign? Dragon Age Awakening, for example. That doesn't mean PoP was unfinished any more than Dragon Age was, really, and I hear that epilogue was pointless.

Apr 7, 2010, 05:24
Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 7, 2010, 05:24
Apr 7, 2010, 05:24

Personally I'd rather pay 2-3-4 times the amount and get a few solid hours out of some really well made content, than just a dab here and there.
Yeah. Here's to DA:Awakening signaling a return to proper expansions. On that note, I haven't had time to play it so I don't know if it's actually good or not yet..

I just don't think I'll ever see a point in these packs. It's not so much about price as the fact that I'm generally done with the game by the time they drop, and I'm not going to pick it up again just to play some "random" 1 hour-long side-mission. It would probably be nice to have for my eventual pre ME3 replay, but it's not essential enough for me to throw down $7 even if that's a tiny amount. for a 40 hour long game, what's another character/mission? So that leaves GOTY-editions I suppose, but in most cases I'm not going to be inclined to buy the game twice.

The only thing that would make me interested in small DLC packs like this is basically if something was added to the main story arch, but that is an Unholy Path(tm) best left alone. Case in point: The Prince of Persia epilogue, which picked up right after the end of the main-game cliffhanger. Granted, I did enjoy the extra hour or two but I'm not thrilled about having to throw down a few extra bucks in order to see the full story..
Fortunately it hasn't been repeated by other studios as far as I know(?).

Apr 7, 2010, 05:03
Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 7, 2010, 05:03
Apr 7, 2010, 05:03

Got my money's worth. The mission is fun, and the area is a nice place to explore. The new weapon isn't spectacular, but you'll love it if you're playing an Adept or Sentinel, especially if you haven't been to the Collector ship yet. It lets those classes do more bullet-damage at longer ranges than usual. Less useful for me as a Vanguard, since I'm always right on top of my target.

I wouldn't get it if you don't have an in-progress game like I did or aren't planning on starting a new one anytime soon. If you just tacked it onto the end after you've been through the Collector Base, you probably wouldn't feel like you've gotten much out of it.

Slightly disappointing that Kasumi's spot on the Normandy functions like Zaeed's with no true conversation tree, but her mementos are interesting and the room is better than Zaeed's garbage disposal unit.
NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

Apr 7, 2010, 04:02
Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 7, 2010, 04:02
Apr 7, 2010, 04:02

I tried playing Mass Effect recently. It feels too much like reading a book. I prefer to play a game. You can't even jump.
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Apr 7, 2010, 01:24
Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 7, 2010, 01:24
Apr 7, 2010, 01:24

I was a bit iffy on these small DLC missions - but enjoyed the merc's one(have gone blank on his name) despite being so short. I guess when you look at all of them adding up together for a new play through, they really do add quite a few new things to experience along the way.

I guess time will tell though. DLC is still pretty much in its infancy. I'm thinking in a year or so from now, tiny bits of content for a small price just isnt going to cut it. Personally I'd rather pay 2-3-4 times the amount and get a few solid hours out of some really well made content, than just a dab here and there.

Apr 7, 2010, 00:11
Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 7, 2010, 00:11
Apr 7, 2010, 00:11

it's a freaking whole gigabyte, which is weird. A lot of new areas and textures for an hour or so mission?

Just a hunch, but I imagine a lot of that space is for dialog and such to integrate Kasumi into the main game.

Apr 6, 2010, 23:57
Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 6, 2010, 23:57
Apr 6, 2010, 23:57

Felt pretty short for $7 honestly, especially when compared to the main game. When I play through the game again with a paragon character I can see myself using her a lot though, which will make it more worth it.

Just one mission and a "pickup" scene. Took me 1hr and 12mins. It was a good mission though, for sure.

The value for the money likely depends on how much you liked Mass Effect 2, which is pretty true for most DLC.

Apr 6, 2010, 21:45
Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 6, 2010, 21:45
Apr 6, 2010, 21:45

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 21:21:
Just bought it... it's a freaking whole gigabyte, which is weird. A lot of new areas and textures for an hour or so mission?

Looking forward to playing through it.

Let us know how many missions it features, please.

Creston

Apr 6, 2010, 21:22
Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 6, 2010, 21:22
Apr 6, 2010, 21:22

I'd rather have a Whopper with cheese and a shake.

Apr 6, 2010, 21:21
Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 6, 2010, 21:21
Apr 6, 2010, 21:21

Just bought it... it's a freaking whole gigabyte, which is weird. A lot of new areas and textures for an hour or so mission?

Looking forward to playing through it.
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older