Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch

Ubisoft's Assassins Creed 2 Page now offers a patch to update the Windows edition of Assassin's Creed II to version 1.01, a patch that's mirrored on WorthPlaying. If you're thinking this sounds premature, that's because the PC edition of the stealth/action sequel is not expected for anouther couple of weeks. Looking at the patch notes, we have what seems a logical theory for issuing the patch prior to the game, which is to mitigate concerns spurred by reports that progress in the single player game could be lost to the behavior of Ubisoft's new online digital rights management (DRM) scheme. Here's the first item in the patch notes: "Game can now be continued from the exact same point when connection is restored."
View : : :
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch
Mar 5, 2010, 15:20
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 5, 2010, 15:20
Mar 5, 2010, 15:20

According to the forums the savegames are 7mb~ each, so no chance to sync that in a timely manner with 6kb/s.

Mar 5, 2010, 00:39
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 5, 2010, 00:39
Mar 5, 2010, 00:39

This drm on assassins creed 2 on pc already been cracked although instructions how to use it are a bit complicated but it works, kinda funny.
"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

Mar 4, 2010, 22:24
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 22:24
Mar 4, 2010, 22:24

Game isn't really that good.

Hehehehe....

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2010, 22:35.

Mar 4, 2010, 18:47
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 18:47
Mar 4, 2010, 18:47

Except, if the game constantly saved progress to the servers, then no local saving is required. Basically, if connection is lost, then the last synchronized savepoint is already on the server, and not locally.

It'd require a LOT more bandwidth than the 50kbits/second that Ubisoft claims the DRM *peaks* at. That's 6kb a second of data transfer to transfer what is probably a 5-600kb file at least.

Mar 4, 2010, 17:38
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 17:38
Mar 4, 2010, 17:38

Uhm... I clarified what I was talking about in post #41 (If you are viewing oldest to newest).
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Mar 4, 2010, 13:17
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 13:17
Mar 4, 2010, 13:17

necrosis wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 08:44:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 23:11:
I bought my first Steam game a couple of weeks ago (Dragon Age Digital Deluxe version)... and while Steam still annoys me (with the steam UI popups, and the fuckin' ads after I exit the game)...
Ad's after the game? WTF are you talking about? I have digital delux steam version of DA:O and there is no such thing.

Steam UI popups? When? If a friend logs in? Thats about the only one I ever see once the game launches.

Same - I get no ad popups anywhere in/around steam or DA:Digital Deluxe. The only UI pop up I get is if I set the friends system to tell me when friends sign in.

Mar 4, 2010, 12:00
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 12:00
Mar 4, 2010, 12:00

Dev wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 08:00:
Prez:

Based on comments I think many people (including ubi execs) were assuming that since it saved on internet, there's no possible way it could save local if crack just skipped internet entirely since the code wasn't there. So people were assuming crack would have to emulate server, and hack together a disk IO workaround.

This was obviously incorrect from the start (I think I even mentioned it in a random thread). Why? Because in the pc gamer info, it said that if the internet connection was gone, AC2 saved at last savepoint (losing progress since then). That means the possability of saving local (not on internet) is already CODED IN. The hackers just had to find that part of the code and use that instead of screwing with the internet save portion.
So the ubi execs are just really clueless

Except, if the game constantly saved progress to the servers, then no local saving is required. Basically, if connection is lost, then the last synchronized savepoint is already on the server, and not locally.

Dev wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 08:00:
Prez:

edit: And the really funny part I just thought of. This patch will probably make it EASIER for hackers since it can save at any point without internet, so they just need to activate that part of the code to save anywhere and give the game better save flexibility than the retail release has (which I believe is based on checkpoints)

Not really, everyone is assuming this to be something it isn't. Before this patch if you lost connection then basically the game ended. You were forced to quit and had to start at last checkpoint. Reading what they're saying, it sounds like the new behavior is that it lets you keep the game running and retrying to connect rather than forcing you to quit. If it reconnects, then you resume right where you were. What I'm sure it does NOT do, is let you quit and later return to the same point. Basically, you have to leave the game running till your connection returns, or the servers come back. Otherwise, just like before you lose all progress since it last sent save data to the server.

This is an improvement over the prior behavior but still means with the official game, progress can be lost if their servers go down or your connection is lost and you can't leave the game running until they are working again. It's still overly draconian DRM.

Mar 4, 2010, 11:56
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 11:56
Mar 4, 2010, 11:56

wtf_man wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 10:23:
necrosis wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 09:22:
Probably does not realize that those "Steam Update News' popups can be shut off.

Very True. I am a complete Steam newbie, and I've been too interested in playing my game to dig into seeing what I can or cannot turn off.

But that wasn't what I was really bitching about, I was just listing the things that annoyed me about Steam. (And yes, I was talking about the News Update after I exit the game, and the "shift-tab" UI pop-up as I get to the main menu of the game)

I was REALLY complaining more about the fact that Dragon Age has to logon to Bioware in order for me to be able to play my saved games just because they have DLC "within the saves".

That's fucking bullshit.
OK that I do agree with. I hated that with GfWL crap in Fallout 3. But at least if you knew how you could write a batch script to copy the saves between the "online" and "offline" folder.

Was annoying a shit when GfWL just would not connect anymore, period. Reinstalling it, repairs, reinstalling all of FO3. Nothing worked. Yet the GfWL client thing that runs when your outside the game... connected with no issues.

Mar 4, 2010, 10:44
Dev
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 10:44
Mar 4, 2010, 10:44
Dev

Just saw this review on amazon, he makes a GREAT point:

I have always been a fan of naval combat simulators. Being in the Navy, I enjoy playing these games when I'm underway. The atmosphere of actually being on a ship that's rocking with water slamming against the hull adds to the feeling while playing the game. I've especially enjoyed games like 688(i) and the Silent Hunter series. While underway I can't connect my computer to the internet, which has never really been an issue. Now because of DRM I can't play this game when I deploy. I suppose if you stay at home all the time and are constantly connected to the internet you would be fine, but for those of us who don't have that as an option, we are out of luck.

It's unfortunate that a game about the military would be so unfriendly to military players.

Mar 4, 2010, 10:23
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 10:23
Mar 4, 2010, 10:23

necrosis wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 09:22:
Probably does not realize that those "Steam Update News' popups can be shut off.

Very True. I am a complete Steam newbie, and I've been too interested in playing my game to dig into seeing what I can or cannot turn off.

But that wasn't what I was really bitching about, I was just listing the things that annoyed me about Steam. (And yes, I was talking about the News Update after I exit the game, and the "shift-tab" UI pop-up as I get to the main menu of the game)

I was REALLY complaining more about the fact that Dragon Age has to logon to Bioware in order for me to be able to play my saved games just because they have DLC "within the saves".

That's fucking bullshit.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Mar 4, 2010, 10:14
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 10:14
Mar 4, 2010, 10:14

Am I the only one here, I wonder, that wonders how Ubi could've ever been so retarded to make this whole DRM decision?

When I think about it I constantly have the hilarious scenario in my mind how some of the "decision makers" in Ubi got really, really emo during a conversation about pirates & hackers and then, right there and then, just *poof* decided it. And now they're constantly walking around with red faces of shame and dispair.

*giggles* fu ubi ^^
Where are the adults?

Mar 4, 2010, 09:54
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 09:54
Mar 4, 2010, 09:54

Well i wouldn't know that I boycott Ubisoft games and am not going to pirate them either.

Mar 4, 2010, 09:36
Dev
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 09:36
Mar 4, 2010, 09:36
Dev

This is funny watching this go down.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2010, 11:25.

Mar 4, 2010, 09:22
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 09:22
Mar 4, 2010, 09:22

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 08:57:
He's probably referring to the random Steam store ads that pop up and take focus once in awhile, aka "Steam Update News". It's a free service so I see no problem with them however and they don't pop up "after every game exit". Xbox Live on the other hand is inundated with ads despite the fact that people pay for it.

Mar 4, 2010, 09:18
Dev
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 09:18
Mar 4, 2010, 09:18
Dev

wtf_man:
BTW, steam popups about friends signing on and playing games can easily be disabled/customized. You can even make it so a particular friend(s) has popup notifications and no one does.

Goto SETTINGS, then FRIENDS tab in steam.

Similarly in SETTINGS, then INTERFACE tab you can disable the steam alerts about game sales/news if you dont like that. I personally prefer this on because it alerts about weekend/midweek sales and some new game releases/pre-sales.

Mar 4, 2010, 09:09
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 09:09
Mar 4, 2010, 09:09

Just consider any game that uses this kind of DRM the equivalent of having to perform butt sex every-time you want to play the game.
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Mar 4, 2010, 09:08
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 09:08
Mar 4, 2010, 09:08

Ad's after the game? WTF are you talking about? I have digital delux steam version of DA:O and there is no such thing.
They're talking about the Steam News window that pops up when you exit a game. I always find it very interesting but I can see how people would be annoyed.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Mar 4, 2010, 08:57
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 08:57
Mar 4, 2010, 08:57

necrosis wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 08:42:
Lord Tea wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 23:45:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 23:36:
Seems the community hasn't been this united in opposition since starforce, which doesn't bode well for ubi.

Iirc, ubi was front and center in the starforce debacle, ubi failed miserably and lost the lawsuits the customers filed.

well Starforce was at least a tough nut to crack but this new online DRM is a complete fiasco - exactly what Ubisoft deserved. Man I'm enjoying this
Yeah didn't one of the Splinter Cell games take almost a year to break?

Chaos Theory had Starforce and took over a year to "crack". The truly determined were able to play it by unplugging their dvd drive and using a cloned image however. I remember all of this because I owned a retail copy of Chaos Theory that refused to play on my LG dvd-drive so I was forced to play it via the cloned disk image method.

He's probably referring to the random Steam store ads that pop up and take focus once in awhile, aka "Steam Update News". It's a free service so I see no problem with them however and they don't pop up "after every game exit". Xbox Live on the other hand is inundated with ads despite the fact that people pay for it.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2010, 09:06.

Mar 4, 2010, 08:44
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 08:44
Mar 4, 2010, 08:44

wtf_man wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 23:11:
I bought my first Steam game a couple of weeks ago (Dragon Age Digital Deluxe version)... and while Steam still annoys me (with the steam UI popups, and the fuckin' ads after I exit the game)...

Steam UI popups? When? If a friend logs in? Thats about the only one I ever see once the game launches.

Mar 4, 2010, 08:42
Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 08:42
Mar 4, 2010, 08:42

Lord Tea wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 23:45:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 23:36:
Seems the community hasn't been this united in opposition since starforce, which doesn't bode well for ubi.

Iirc, ubi was front and center in the starforce debacle, ubi failed miserably and lost the lawsuits the customers filed.

well Starforce was at least a tough nut to crack but this new online DRM is a complete fiasco - exactly what Ubisoft deserved. Man I'm enjoying this
Yeah didn't one of the Splinter Cell games take almost a year to break?
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older