Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed

Ubisoft confirms their controversial new DRM scheme that requires a constant online connection will be used in Splinter Cell: Conviction, Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic, Assassin's Creed 2, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, and the new Ghost Recon game, reports Softpedia by way of PC Gamer magazine. They offer a quote from a Ubisoft spokesperson: "It's hard for us to say, yes, from now until the day that we all die all of our games are going to include this but most will." Thanks Shacknews.
View
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

26. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 01:11 Xirix

I think UBI titles will become the most pirated games ever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 00:49 Acleacius

Passing on playing any of them ever, even if they were free. I wouldn't want to give them any publicity.  

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs,
you would not hear of that party again in our political history.....and they are stupid. Dwight D. Eisenhower

24. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 00:38 PHJF

And to think, the last Prince of Persia didn't have any DRM at all.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 00:21 Silicon Avatar

I think this will last about a year until they quit using it.

Anybody else remember those "uncopyable" floppies? SSDD...

22. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 00:19 KilrathiAce

If they put as much effort into supporting the titles they release as they put into their bs DRM schemes we would actually have single silent hunter game with major bugs fixed.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

21. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 23:53 necrosis

Thank you Blue's and Shacknews! You just saved me a mess of money on my car insur.... gaming budget!  

20. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 23:48 Pigeon

There's a few of those I was interested in, not any more, specially not for $60. Remember when they were first trying to sell the concept of DRM unto the masses and one of the promises was it'd make software cheaper?

I really don't see how this is a viable business strategy. They dump more money into DRM, less people buy the game because of the DRM and the pirates are only temporarily inconvenienced.

COMING SOON NOV. 2011 ASSASSIN'S CREED 3
Requires always active internet connection and rectal examinations every 25 minutes.

19. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 23:46 Prez

A game on PC with horrible DRM is better than no game at all.

Completely disagree, since in both cases, I won't be playing said game. It is functionally the same.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 23:37 Shooman

And for the next batch of games, whenever you buy one of their titles, a representitive from Ubisoft will come to your house and WATCH over your shoulder as you play it...  

17. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 23:32 ldonyo

One less publisher I will buy games from.  

16. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 23:14 ASJD

I hope Trackmania 2 doesn't get this DRM.  

15. DRM? Feb 26, 2010, 23:02 Ray Marden

Dont' forget the $60 price for these PC titles, too...

I actually want to buy AC2, but I love how new copies of the console versions, releases that came out months ago, can be purchased for $35. But yeah, let me wait all this extra time and pay $60 for the PC version I wanted.

Or not.

Having no intention of buying any of these at that price,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

14. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 23:00 nin

Can they make a game good enough to make this obscenity of a DRM scheme worth it? They haven't yet, I don't see it happening given their current line up.

That was my thought as well. I'm not going to miss any of the games listed above...

13. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 22:55 Umbragen

Can they make a game good enough to make this obscenity of a DRM scheme worth it? They haven't yet, I don't see it happening given their current line up.  

12. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 22:46 Cutter

No...just no.

Hell, give me $20 bucks and I'll treat you like a criminal if that's what you like.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

11. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 22:42 Bumpy

If my computer is on, I'm online, so this DRM will be pretty transparent for me.

Not saying I like the DRM but I will buy and play what I want on PC to support PC gaming.

10. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 22:27 Dots

DRM isn't going to deter me from playing the games I want to play but if they keep pulling these $60 prices on games...now that's something I could actually be annoyed at. ):<  

9. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 22:24 Ventura

I want the piracy issue on the pc platform fixed as much as they do (I hate console ports), but I really don't think this is the solution. How difficult would it be for crackers to be able to overwrite the exe with one that either doesn't require that online connection or emulates it?

I could suggest a few alternatives; most of mine would require Microsoft getting involved (because Windows would have to be patched), but in this day and age, I have to wonder if solving the pc piracy issue would even fix the problem. There are so few Blizzard's left these days, I don't doubt that the likes of EA and Ubisoft would continue to throw out the lazy console ports our way, even if the piracy issue on this platform were fixed.

8. Re: Boycott Ubisoft DRM Titles Feb 26, 2010, 22:23 Aero

anyawow wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 22:09:
It's not hard for me to say, no, from now until the day that I die all of your games are not going to be purchased by me.

Signed.

7. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 22:12 Jay

The only game I was planning to buy from the list was Silent Hunter 5, but still, their loss.  

106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >