Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed

Ubisoft confirms their controversial new DRM scheme that requires a constant online connection will be used in Splinter Cell: Conviction, Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic, Assassin's Creed 2, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, and the new Ghost Recon game, reports Softpedia by way of PC Gamer magazine. They offer a quote from a Ubisoft spokesperson: "It's hard for us to say, yes, from now until the day that we all die all of our games are going to include this but most will." Thanks Shacknews.
View : : :
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
Feb 27, 2010, 12:53
NKD
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 12:53
Feb 27, 2010, 12:53
NKD

siapnar wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 12:07:
Yes, this idea is off-putting, but it's also a progression in the fight against piracy.

Progression requires progress. This crap will be cracked on day 1. Pirates don't care what kind of DRM you use. It's all the same from their standpoint. Instead of removing disc checks, they'll remove the phone home checks. The process is pretty much the same from a technical standpoint.
Old man trouble back again
Fucking up my plans like oh no, oh no,
I'm back to the black again
Gettin fucked up again, oh no, oh no.

Feb 27, 2010, 12:49
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 12:49
Feb 27, 2010, 12:49

Not much to say that hasn't already been stated.

PC gaming is not strict like consoles; many different variables, tweaks and options we PC gamers enjoy are constantly being manipulated or hindered by the corporate execs or developer decisions. Lack of FSAA, no DX9 versions, unable to install games in dir/drive of choice(Steam), no gamepad support, etc.; this new DRM is just another PC gaming obstacle or change to deal with.

Everyone has their limits and needs. Like a MMO, either deal with it and move on or get out. I prefer to deal with it and help support PC gamings continued existence.

Feb 27, 2010, 12:39
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 12:39
Feb 27, 2010, 12:39

And everyone says EA is the evil monster in the room.

Ubisoft is even making Activision look good.

Are they taking any bets in Vegas on whether this will be cracked or not?

Feb 27, 2010, 12:07
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 12:07
Feb 27, 2010, 12:07

I've been gaming on PC since Joust, Duke and Commander Keen were running around in DOS, and to me, this DRM fiasco doesn't severely "piss me off".

Yes, this idea is off-putting, but it's also a progression in the fight against piracy.
The other methods used haven't worked.. they've been cracked, or whatever, so this is Ubi's next step (albeit not a perfect one - I'll get to that in a bit).

I'm betting more than 90% of PC gamers (who can actually run current games) have access to a high speed internet connection and are on it at least 3 hours a day, WITHOUT connection issues.
And if you don't have high speed, or have issues, then you're a minority, and since when did customer minorities count in business?
So if you're one of the "truckers who game in the back of their semis at night", then you're just shit out of luck. Them's the breaks.

The only thing that concerns me is the part about this system sucking up bandwidth because of the consistent monitoring.
Yes, THAT is bullshit.
And then there's the possibility of hackers taking down Ubi's servers, but that kind of thing out of anyone's hands.

But please, don't patronize people with your "It's the principle of the matter" or "They're treating me like a criminal".
This is a logical progression because of piracy, and the concept of it IS justified.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2010, 12:13.

This scheme will fail
Feb 27, 2010, 11:47
Jim
This scheme will fail Feb 27, 2010, 11:47
Feb 27, 2010, 11:47
Jim

Imagine a DoS attack against the Ubisoft save servers. That will shut down their entire product line. And I suspect it will happen repeatedly. They are setting themselves up for a fail.

Feb 27, 2010, 11:45
Prez

Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 11:45
Feb 27, 2010, 11:45
 Prez

I personally am completely unable to understand how anyone who cares about PC gaming in the absolute slightest could be anything besides shocked and offended by this move by Ubi, but regarding those who think this fine or are apathetic, all I can say is "to each his own". Ucrazy

On a side note, I can imagine that the big players on the warez scene are frothing at the mouth with anticipation at the prospect of this particular challenge. I don't know a thing about cracking or warezing (is that even a word?), so I have no idea if they will be successful or not, but I have this vision of them rubbing their hands together while waiting impatiently for the first title with this offensive DRM to be released into the wild. Mwahaha

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2010, 11:52.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 27, 2010, 11:35
JTW
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 11:35
Feb 27, 2010, 11:35
JTW

I know people who game in hotel rooms without wifi, people who game while traveling, truckers who game in the back of their semis at night, people who still have dial-up that share their connection with the telephone, people whose connections go down all the time due to being in rural areas where the ISPs consider them a low priority, people who have a couple of months every year where their connections become unreliable due to weather, active service personnel who game on base - the list goes on. Still, if a half a dozen of the major publishers adopted this technology, these people could all be effectively blocked from pursuing their hobby.

Now, of course, Ubi doesn't care. These people represent a small fraction of the market share. If they lose all the sales from that part of the market, plus lose sales from the reputation hit, but gain enough sales from frustrated pirates willing to drop sixty bucks on something they thought sounded good for free, then Ubi will increase revenues.

Of course, the numbers have to support this. If A + B < X (total lost sales is less than gained sales), and the extra sales compensate for the money dumped into developing the system, they're gold. The problem is, there is no way to determine X. There is no way to compare total sales of Ass Creed 2 with the DRM with sales without the DRM. All they can do is guess, and the sources they like to quote for their numbers (# of prevented pirated downloads = # of lost sales) is absolutely fictitious.

Translation: Ubi is being run by idgits who have an idea to 'fix' things and are so certain that they're right that they feel there is no need to actually verify it with data before they proceed.

As to the rumor that they're trying to kill PC gaming so that they can leave it behind: Why would they make it so complicated and spend millions to do so? If they wanted to leave it behind, they'd just stop making PC versions. The only people they'd piss off would be their non-customers.

Feb 27, 2010, 11:16
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 11:16
Feb 27, 2010, 11:16

Bumpy, Dots... You must be the most passive aggressive people I have ever seen.

I really do not see how UBI's DRM can not anger any long time devoted PC gamer in any fashion.
I don't see the passive aggression here...

I'm a long time PC gamer, I've owned a total of three consoles previously, and my latest purchase, my 360, has been sitting there collecting dust for over a year, I'm thinking of selling it, in fact.

But the impact of the DRM on my personal experience is going to be most likely absolutely minimal. I play World of Warcraft from time to time, I'm not really a hardcore MMO player, but I still play it, and if you think about it, it uses the same "copy protection" as what Ubisoft proposed. I know it's inevitable for MMOs for course being that one genre, but the end experience is the same even if they apply it to a singleplayer game.

I'm also used to buying all my games through Steam. So basically, for me, if I'll, say, decide to play Assassin's Creed 2 or the new Splinter Cell or Settlers 7 or whatever, it'll be, in all likelihood, the same experience as playing any other game, press the shortcut, and play.

I can see how it can inconvenience some but raging against that on principle as opposed to actually being on a shaky connection is, IMO, stupid. Like, I don't have any reason to not buy a game like that if I want to play it, since it's going to be the exact same experience for me as playing any other game.

However, paying $60 for Ubi's games, now that's something that annoys me, I don't quite see why would they even think of doing it. Again, it's not something that will stop me from buying a game I really want to play but as for the rest it just might put them into the "waiting on Steam sale category".

Sorry if I came off as somehow hostile to you but that's what I personally believe.

Feb 27, 2010, 10:54
NKD
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 10:54
Feb 27, 2010, 10:54
NKD

You know, I think this DRM proves to us that the reason we see DRM at all is that the decision makers live in a dream land where they just can't see the practical implications.

Lets think about it from the perspective of a business person who is not a gamer:

"This DRM should be awesome and well-accepted by the fans. Virtually everyone has an always-on Internet connection while gaming anyway, so why not have the game check in with our servers while they are playing? No disc checks! No activations! This is gonna be the best thing ever."

All sounds great right? Up until you realize that some folks have crap Internet connections, and any prolonged downtime of Ubi's servers will have everyone shitting the bed. That combined with the fact that it STILL doesn't stop or even discourage piracy.
Old man trouble back again
Fucking up my plans like oh no, oh no,
I'm back to the black again
Gettin fucked up again, oh no, oh no.

Feb 27, 2010, 10:46
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 10:46
Feb 27, 2010, 10:46

I really do not see how UBI's DRM can not anger any long time devoted PC gamer in any fashion.

Long time devoted PC gamer here and I don't mind their DRM in any way, shape or form. I do in fact not give a shit.

My internet farts at least once a night.

See... there's a major difference between the two of us. Mine "farts" like once a year (if that).

I game on my desktop (LAN parties) and my laptop (airport, relatives) in many locations I do not have internet, let alone a stable connection. To boot if the connection is lost you can loose progress!

I don't do any of that crap but if I would then I would just play non-Ubi games at LAN parties and other locations with no Internet access. There's always something else to play.

How can being treated like a guilty thief from second one and loosing freedoms while paying MORE for your games not piss you off?

The only thing that pisses me off is the freebie asshole fuckfaces (read: pirating thieves) who got us into this situation in the first place and who are now whining that their precious torrents could become an endangered species in the unlikely case that Ubi's protection might actually turn out to be somewhat effective. Just look at this thread. At least 99% of the assholes posting here are downloading the majority of their games for free instead of buying them. That's a fact.

Fuck you Ubi, fuck you.

I second that. But not because of the DRM but because of their general support/patching policy (which is more or less non-existent really).

Feb 27, 2010, 10:36
Dev

Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 10:36
Feb 27, 2010, 10:36
 Dev

Bumpy:
LOL, no drm is huge failure? So you are saying the previous prince of persia game failed hugely (ubisoft hyped it as having very little DRM)? Why would they bother making another if that was the case?

Looking at the sales, it sold 2.2 million in ONE MONTH. Yeah thats a huge failure alright.

Fallout 3, very little DRM. In fact, installing popular modding tools bypasses the DRM. Was that a huge failure? Such a huge failure that interplay is sueing to get a piece of that pie. Such a huge failure that bethesda died as a studio and didn't get a change to merge with id right?

That indy title, gratuitous space battles, totally without DRM. I bought it almost entirely to SUPPORT him doing that (I haven't played it since the beta, which reminds me I need to give it a try now that its out), I've seen ads for that on other sides I frequent, so if he can afford that he's not doing too poorly.

Stardock and gal civ titles, very little drm (a serial check to download patches with new content) that breakout series into their first serious retail presence surely failed eh?

That world of goo sale where you could name your price, that game has no DRM. Obviously no one bothered to pay anything for it when they could download it right?
Edit: They did some fascinating analysis on the sale:
http://2dboy.com/page/3/
Some tidbits, thier steam sales ROSE 40% (although it was priced much higher than the name your own price) during that sale, and thier wiiware sales rose too. The sale obviously gave them exposure and people wanted to play it on thier preferred platform.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2010, 10:50.

Feb 27, 2010, 10:31
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 10:31
Feb 27, 2010, 10:31

Well thx for POD Planet of death Ubidead , still looking for POD 2 for pc but ...
for the new DRM i can only say , THAT's IT , no more ubi games from me,

Feb 27, 2010, 10:24
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 10:24
Feb 27, 2010, 10:24

Bumpy, Dots... You must be the most passive aggressive people I have ever seen.

My internet farts at least once a night. I game on my desktop (LAN parties) and my laptop (airport, relatives) in many locations I do not have internet, let alone a stable connection. To boot if the connection is lost you can loose progress!

How can being treated like a guilty thief from second one and loosing freedoms while paying MORE for your games not piss you off?

I love PC gaming but shit like this has its limits. There is a point where speaking with your wallet and not playing any game at all is better than playing a crippled game loaded with DRM. Decides, speaking with your wallet is the only real thing these corporate morons understand. It makes my head hurt trying to think why ANYONE thought this was a good idea.

Assassins Creed II... First deliberately ripping a chunk out of the middle of the game to milk the customer with DLC sales, now raping the PC user with a uncalled for 6 month delay to add this moronic DRM.

Fuck you Ubi, fuck you.

Feb 27, 2010, 10:00
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 10:00
Feb 27, 2010, 10:00

Finally! They found a DRM truly worthy to replace Starforce!

Kudos, Ubi!

Feb 27, 2010, 09:53
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 09:53
Feb 27, 2010, 09:53

Ubi hasn't dome much more more than port games to the PC for a while.
This DRM is the killer.--No Sales.
As for GHOST RECON--they ruined that franchise a long time ago when they gave it the consolitus touch. Ditto with Rainbow Six.

They really should just discontinue making PC games--it would be in the gamers and their shareholders best interests.
As for for those that say the DRM is ok--they really do need to get their heads out of the sand and read how it WILL affect them in a negative manner. (see post 45)

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2010, 10:02.

Feb 27, 2010, 09:46
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 09:46
Feb 27, 2010, 09:46

If my computer is on, I'm online, so this DRM will be pretty transparent for me.

Not saying I like the DRM but I will buy and play what I want on PC to support PC gaming.

A game on PC with horrible DRM is better than no game at all.
Yeah I pretty much agree with this sentiment. It's just a copy protection mechanism. I don't care as long as I can play through the game as I would normally, and you know, they could have a DRM that forced you to put in codes from a code wheel every 30 minutes and it'd still be a better experience than playing the same game on my aged 360.

Feb 27, 2010, 09:45
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 09:45
Feb 27, 2010, 09:45

Meh, so there maybe some initial kinks with their servers. Not like every other game as been bug free on release and allowed perfect playing sans crashes, visual anomalies, lost saves, etc.. In PC gaming one is deluding ones self if they expect a game to be perfect.

Like the outstanding MW2 boycott or LFD2 uproar, all the ranting will do nothing to change a corporates actions. UBI tried the no DRM route, obviously it was a huge failure.

I prefer to continue to enjoy and support PC gaming. Immediate prejudice; not buying, switching to consoles or pirating is doing little to no good for my hobby.

One has to deal with it, DRM is and will always be part of PC games. If after actually trying the new DRM, I find it to be more annoying than the game is fun, then I too will simply avoid it and support other PC gaming products instead.

Gotta at least give it a chance.

Ubi games
Feb 27, 2010, 08:59
Ubi games Feb 27, 2010, 08:59
Feb 27, 2010, 08:59

next year - console only

Feb 27, 2010, 08:55
Mac
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 08:55
Feb 27, 2010, 08:55
Mac

Ubisoft now demanding good reviews to give review copies out ...

http://www.destructoid.com/ubisoft-demands-high-assassin-s-creed-2-review-score--154456.phtml

This pretty much makes any good review of AC2 before release worthless.

Feb 27, 2010, 08:53
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 08:53
Feb 27, 2010, 08:53

I'll be very interested to watch some video reviews of these games to see if the online connectivity was as big an issue as it sounds like.

Nice to see we've hit a point where nearly everyone agrees this is too much.

What price do you think people would tolerate this level of control? I'm guessing between $10 and $20. $10 seems to be the cost of a rental, but this game lets you play it as long as you want so it should be worth a bit more than that...but I assume you can't resell it or share it, so I'm going to say $19.99 seems fair no?
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older