Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed

Ubisoft confirms their controversial new DRM scheme that requires a constant online connection will be used in Splinter Cell: Conviction, Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic, Assassin's Creed 2, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, and the new Ghost Recon game, reports Softpedia by way of PC Gamer magazine. They offer a quote from a Ubisoft spokesperson: "It's hard for us to say, yes, from now until the day that we all die all of our games are going to include this but most will." Thanks Shacknews.
View : : :
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
Feb 27, 2010, 18:55
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 18:55
Feb 27, 2010, 18:55

I doubt it'll get cracked fast, Starforce on Spinter Cell Chaos Theory didn't get cracked for a year and that was not an internet-dependent form of DRM.

Starforce was basically a rootkit. A very deeply embedded one at that. I highly doubt Ubi's new DRM will be as problematic to crack.

The draw of using the internet for DRM like that is that it's not just a phone home thing, it's that the game is probably made so that it can load its saves and such only over the internet, and it'll probably be very, very hard to crack unless the pirates can quite literally disassemble the game's code and write new routines for saving and such.

I don't imagine it will be that hard. If you've read the FAQs about the DRM, you should know that the games save to your hard drive in addition to the online servers.

Feb 27, 2010, 18:03
Dev

Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 18:03
Feb 27, 2010, 18:03
 Dev

siapnar, Dots:
Just because you guys have good internet connections doesn't mean everyone else does.
And thats only 1/2 of the problem (if that). The bigger problem is likely to be ubisoft's servers.
Dots, I'm glad you mentioned this being similar to an MMO in terms of protection. Because it IS. Only its never been alpha/beta tested or load tested, and its going to be launching quite soon. Good luck on playing these games with thier servers constantly going down. You know those games that have activation issues on week 1 of release from server overload? Thats only ACTIVATION, not this constant net connection. Plus with them not getting monthly payments for this stuff, they are going to quite likely shut down the more expensive MMO like servers within a year or 2 (EA has been doing for a while now, and they are just normal servers, not MMO type servers)

Dots:
Also, it saves locally on the hard drive first from what I can tell. Its not setup to ONLY save on the internet. Take a look at its behavior for Ass Creed 2. It saves last checkpoint before booting you out of the game when connection is lost. The only way it could do that with connection gone is if it saved local. So local saving is already implemented into the game, so thats likely not going to be an impediment to hackers like you think it is.
Same argument goes for the settlers one that saves where you are currently at before booting you if connection is lost.
It only takes a little logic here to see they are capable of local saves. They likely also save it locally before uploading to the internet anyway.

Game returns
Feb 27, 2010, 16:50
Game returns Feb 27, 2010, 16:50
Feb 27, 2010, 16:50

Will i finally be able to return that shiny disk because the game does not measure up.
Hey it cant be pirated so i should be allowed refunds on these new uber drm games right.

Im tired of forking out $$ on titles that turn out to be shit, and ive run into a few not
to mention not measuring up to what i was led to believe, or being buggy as my garden

So will this finally allow me to return the game because it was not up to
scratch. Time for that wind to blow as well fair is fair, and my rights as decieved
purchaser are covered as well. I have several that are still having "serious" bugs

I would also be more inclined to buy "new" ( in regard to 2nd hand ) games its a gamble now, since im royally screwed if it turns out to be a dodo to me.

Anyway ive found ubi games to be most prone to bugs and poor support that i
tend to avoid them anyway.

Feb 27, 2010, 16:44
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 16:44
Feb 27, 2010, 16:44

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 10:46:
At least 99% of the assholes posting here are downloading the majority of their games for free instead of buying them. That's a fact.
Protip: The majority of people who either post or lurk here are in the gaming industry, were in the gaming industry, or are in something related to IT/Server/Desktop development and so on. More than likely we have more disposable income for a year then you make.

Your trollfu is weak young padawan.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Feb 27, 2010, 15:51
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 15:51
Feb 27, 2010, 15:51

Splinter Cell: Conviction, Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic, Assassin's Creed 2, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, and the new Ghost Recon

Thankfully I have no interest in playing any of those games, so I can continue ignoring ubisoft entirely.

Feb 27, 2010, 15:36
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 15:36
Feb 27, 2010, 15:36

By the way.. I wasn't a fan of the limited activations on Bioshock, but I bought it on release. I didn't promise a boycott because of "draconic DRM" - and I did think they should "lighten up" the restrictions - which they did with their revocation tool and increasing the number of activations.

Ubi, on the other hand, has decided to say FU to any travelling people, any military stationed overseas, anyone that doesn't live in an area with perfect Internet.

And I have good internet - I have FiOS - it still farts out occasionally. There is no perfect Internet connection.

Due to this, I'll be abstaining from anything Ubisoft does. This also includes any releases of great old games, without DRM at steam sale prices.

Sure, would I most likely be able to play AC2 on my PC without a problem? Sure. Does that mean I think that I want to support the DRM? nope.

So, just saying "I am not a kneejerk reactionary that will say "ANY DRM IS BAD" and scream "BOYCOTT" at the drop of a hat" but I'll agree that this idea is incredibly bad, and IS deserving of boycott, and accordingly will be voting with my dollars.

Feb 27, 2010, 15:28
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 15:28
Feb 27, 2010, 15:28

At least 99% of the assholes posting here are downloading the majority of their games for free instead of buying them. That's a fact.

What? That is complete bull.

I was going to put up a screenshot of my steam games screen, but in stead, I'll just file this CJ_Parker in the great circular bin. Either he is a bad troll or an idiot. Neither do I feel like dealing with. And judgung by most of the responses here, nobody else respects his opinion and hyperbole conjecture either.

Feb 27, 2010, 14:53
Prez

Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 14:53
Feb 27, 2010, 14:53
 Prez

Trust me Siapnar, I wish a fool-proof foil against piracy existed; one that succeeded in stopping pirates cold while being virtually invisible to paying customers. I have little regard for someone who takes something that someone worked hard on and uses it without properly compensating the creators. But I have even less regard for a company who completely goes off the deep end of reason in trying to prevent it by unreasonably burdening the honest people who did nothing wrong. All of us here almost certainly have a game with some sort of DRM on it installed on our hard drives; it's not like we aren't willing to accept reasonable measures...

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2010, 15:20.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 27, 2010, 14:32
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 14:32
Feb 27, 2010, 14:32

Prez wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 13:27:
You'll permit me to ardently disagree that there's anything logical about having to be online 100% of the time to play a single player game.

Preventing piracy is all well and good, but to foist that kind of stupidity on honest paying customers is absolutely outrageous. Maybe the pirates will crack it, and maybe they won't. But it is a certainty that people who paid for their game have to put up with what can only be described as a massive inconvenience at best.

When you are trying to rid your house of a pest infestation, would you hire an exterminator who would spray poison that would kill every living thing in the house? No? Why not? That would certainly completely rid the house of the pests! It also is a ridiculously extreme solution to the problem. Like Ubisoft's asinine DRM.

I'm tired of people who expect that we PC gamers should put up with any and all manner of intrusion and inconvenience because it may stop piracy. That is patently absurd. Some moderation and reason are in order here.
shponglefan wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 13:22:
a) Nobody has a perfect connection. They just don't exist. I have high speed from a major carrier in large city, and it periodically craps out on me.
b) Now that gameplay is tied to Ubi's servers, if those servers go offline for whatever reason, then every single paying customer is screwed.
c) Generally in business you want to grow your potential customer base, not shrink it. The only reason this could make sense is if Ubi feels that reduced piracy will reduce costs (i.e. support) associated with piracy and/or sales gains will offset shrinking their market. Otherwise, it's pure idiocy.

I can admit where I'm wrong, and in this case you guys make better points, but I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from.

Companies have to try some kind of security measure. They have to at least try and protect their product from illegal copying.

So, yes, it's justified that they try new (and maybe drastic) measures to eliminate the problem, but the way they are doing it isn't the best, that's for sure.

Re: Game Reviews
Feb 27, 2010, 14:20
Re: Game Reviews Feb 27, 2010, 14:20
Feb 27, 2010, 14:20

Sadly, I purchase all my games and my wife constantly complains about that fact.
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Feb 27, 2010, 14:16
Prez

Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 14:16
Feb 27, 2010, 14:16
 Prez

The only "fact" that I can glean from the above statement is that stupidity truly knows no bounds. Neither does weak trolling.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 27, 2010, 14:11
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 14:11
Feb 27, 2010, 14:11

"The only thing that pisses me off is the freebie asshole fuckfaces (read: pirating thieves) who got us into this situation in the first place and who are now whining that their precious torrents could become an endangered species in the unlikely case that Ubi's protection might actually turn out to be somewhat effective. Just look at this thread. At least 99% of the assholes posting here are downloading the majority of their games for free instead of buying them. That's a fact."

So mr CJ.Parker , you are telling me that since i don't like there DRM i am a Pirat...well i be dammed

Feb 27, 2010, 13:31
JTW
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 13:31
Feb 27, 2010, 13:31
JTW

It won't be cracked on day one. The first game may take days, weeks, even months to crack. The reverse engineering will take time. That'll give the crackers an understanding of how the tech works, at which point they can change the game code so that it doesn't work that way anymore. They have to figure out how to do all that.

The thing is, once the first one is cracked, all the others that follow it will be cracked on day one.

Feb 27, 2010, 13:30
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 13:30
Feb 27, 2010, 13:30

It'll get cracked or some kind of simple loopback program will be made to trick the clients into thinking mother is listening. While that's happening, the previously mentioned DDoS will ruin gameplay for everyone that paid for the games and UbiSoft won't care.

People keep bringing up the "Well, my MMO works like this, so there's no difference" thing. The difference is the MMO company gets paid by you every month. If you keep being able not to play you'll STOP paying them. There's the incentive for them to keep their servers up.

Ubisoft on the other hand have raised the price for their products and made you pay up front. They have absolutely NO reason to keep their servers running since they've already been paid.

Feb 27, 2010, 13:27
Prez

Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 13:27
Feb 27, 2010, 13:27
 Prez

This is a logical progression because of piracy, and the concept of it IS justified.

You'll permit me to ardently disagree that there's anything logical about having to be online 100% of the time to play a single player game.

Preventing piracy is all well and good, but to foist that kind of stupidity on honest paying customers is absolutely outrageous. Maybe the pirates will crack it, and maybe they won't. But it is a certainty that people who paid for their game have to put up with what can only be described as a massive inconvenience at best.

When you are trying to rid your house of a pest infestation, would you hire an exterminator who would spray poison that would kill every living thing in the house? No? Why not? That would certainly completely rid the house of the pests! It also is a ridiculously extreme solution to the problem. Like Ubisoft's asinine DRM.

I'm tired of people who expect that we PC gamers should put up with any and all manner of intrusion and inconvenience because it may stop piracy. That is patently absurd. Some moderation and reason are in order here.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 27, 2010, 13:26
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 13:26
Feb 27, 2010, 13:26

Good luck with this working out for you Ubisoft.

Feb 27, 2010, 13:22
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 13:22
Feb 27, 2010, 13:22

siapnar wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 12:07:
I'm betting more than 90% of PC gamers (who can actually run current games) have access to a high speed internet connection and are on it at least 3 hours a day, WITHOUT connection issues.
And if you don't have high speed, or have issues, then you're a minority, and since when did customer minorities count in business?
So if you're one of the "truckers who game in the back of their semis at night", then you're just shit out of luck. Them's the breaks.

a) Nobody has a perfect connection. They just don't exist. I have high speed from a major carrier in large city, and it periodically craps out on me.
b) Now that gameplay is tied to Ubi's servers, if those servers go offline for whatever reason, then every single paying customer is screwed.
c) Generally in business you want to grow your potential customer base, not shrink it. The only reason this could make sense is if Ubi feels that reduced piracy will reduce costs (i.e. support) associated with piracy and/or sales gains will offset shrinking their market. Otherwise, it's pure idiocy.

Feb 27, 2010, 13:18
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 13:18
Feb 27, 2010, 13:18

Dots wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 13:11:
I doubt it'll get cracked fast, Starforce on Spinter Cell Chaos Theory didn't get cracked for a year and that was not an internet-dependent form of DRM.

I imagine it will get cracked in relatively short order, given the publicity this has received and the bragging rights at stake.

Feb 27, 2010, 13:11
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 13:11
Feb 27, 2010, 13:11

The draw of using the internet for DRM like that is that it's not just a phone home thing, it's that the game is probably made so that it can load its saves and such only over the internet, and it'll probably be very, very hard to crack unless the pirates can quite literally disassemble the game's code and write new routines for saving and such.

Feb 27, 2010, 13:07
Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 13:07
Feb 27, 2010, 13:07

Is this a definite thing? That this form of DRM will be so easily cracked?
It won't be known until the games are actually out, unless someone on the inside leaks it without the DRM.
Who knows, maybe it'll take weeks to crack the thing.

Unless of course, you know something about it that I don't, which is entirely possible.
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older