Gas Powered Games' "Next Big Thing" Announcement Nears

Gas Powered Games will reveal details about its "next big thing" in under two weeks, as Chris Taylor says in a Facebook update: "Another busy day, can't wait to announce our next big thing on the 15th... I hate keeping secrets. :)." GPG's current project, Supreme Commander 2, is expected in March. Thanks Computer and Video Games.
View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Gas Powered Games' "Next Big Thing" Announcement Nears
Feb 5, 2010, 09:36
Verno

Re: Gas Powered Games' "Next Big Thing" Announcement Nears Feb 5, 2010, 09:36
Feb 5, 2010, 09:36
 Verno

Then yeah, I'll stick with my opinion based on what I've seen announced so far.
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Re: Gas Powered Games'
Feb 4, 2010, 18:18
mag
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 4, 2010, 18:18
Feb 4, 2010, 18:18
mag

I think he must work for them or something. Maybe he's in a beta. Maybe he's just chugging CT's Koolaid.

Feb 4, 2010, 12:35
Verno

Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 4, 2010, 12:35
Feb 4, 2010, 12:35
 Verno

I can assure you all right now that Supcom 2s interface and game play will not feel like a console. Absolutely not, and I believe CT was referring to the console version of the game not the PC version when it comes to the UI.

What exactly are you basing these assumptions on?
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Feb 4, 2010, 02:11
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 4, 2010, 02:11
Feb 4, 2010, 02:11

I was an incredibly huge and dedicated fan of SupCom but knowing what I know, I won't bother with SupCom2.

Ever since SupCom there were wet dreams of SupCom2 which later turned into disappointment rather than the anticipation it should be for me. But it will likely be commercially successful enough.

Every now and then I make opinions about games I haven't played because I know enough about them, there goes one.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2010, 02:13.

Feb 4, 2010, 01:04
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 4, 2010, 01:04
Feb 4, 2010, 01:04

Not to mention that there are a bunch of assholes in this forum, Personally I’d like to see those that bash a developer for trying to keep pc gaming alive do better with their own company. Fill the shoes guys or STFU!

What a bunch of unmitigated crap. Paying consumers have the right to voice their opinions without any pre-requisites that they be able to do it better themselves. That they are paying for what the developer is giving them gives them the right to such an opinion, thank you very much.

I can't bash a game I haven't played, but I sure can voice an opinion about Chris Taylor bragging that the game has been designed with the 360 in mind when the first was far too complex to do on console. That sounds like dumbing-down to me, and that's just one example. As someone who loved SC1 and FA, pretty much everything I read about this game in interviews and previews has made me cringe.

We'll see how things turn out in March, but I have been given no reason to believe anything other than that this will be a over-simplified and dumbed-down experience as compared to the first one up until now, so I'm not expecting much.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 3, 2010, 20:46
Re: Gas Powered Games' "Next Big Thing" Announcement Nears Feb 3, 2010, 20:46
Feb 3, 2010, 20:46

I'm really excited to watch whatever game they make next. I have fond memories of watching hours upon hours of dungeon crawls in Dungeon Siege.

Feb 3, 2010, 20:01
Re: Gas Powered Games' "Next Big Thing" Announcement Nears Feb 3, 2010, 20:01
Feb 3, 2010, 20:01

I hope and welcome to see Dungeon Seige 3 being announced. Or something along those lines. As far as everyone talking about "dumbed down" games of today, unfortunately this is true for everything. It's the only way to sell to the current generation with a vocabulary that doen't exceed 5 IM / texting words, and simple gameplay that is console button mashing only. PC veterans from the 80's around here? yeah, lets go out for a beer.

Feb 3, 2010, 19:46
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 3, 2010, 19:46
Feb 3, 2010, 19:46

The PC Warrior wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 18:42:
Ok, seeing how no ones really seen this game yet or played how is it that some of you think that this games been dumbed down? Is this just an opinion or a fact? And if its a fact where are you getting your info from?

And Sleeepy, I’m not talking about his next game he’s announcing. I know nothing about that yet. I’m referring to Supcom2.

And im not defending CT, i know he can defend himself. I just find it rather rude is all and take offense to it personaly.

what if we just dont like his games? guess we are not allowed to talk because you dont like people being mean to grand emperor taylor! if someone selling a game cant handle criticism and only wants praise then they are an asshole.

Derek Smart? Sorry couldn't resist

Feb 3, 2010, 19:21
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 3, 2010, 19:21
Feb 3, 2010, 19:21

I can assure you all right now that Supcom 2s interface and game play will not feel like a console. Absolutely not, and I believe CT was referring to the console version of the game not the PC version when it comes to the UI.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Feb 3, 2010, 19:12
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 3, 2010, 19:12
Feb 3, 2010, 19:12

Again this only goes back to what I said earlier, if you don’t plan on getting the game or don’t like it then why are you hear commenting on it? You’re trying to talk about a game that you really know nothing about. It kind of makes you a hypocrite don’t it?

Strawmen. First of all, it's a public forum. People can say what they want to. Of course we haven't played it. No one said they have. We do know something about it. GPG has released screenshots and other stuffs about the game.

People here are getting bad vibes about this game. There's a long trackrecord in the industry about consolification and dumbing down games. Sure, wait-and-see is prudent. No need to get too worked up.

This and other stories from GPG have been hype. The comments here are directly relevant.
Perpetual debt is slavery.

Feb 3, 2010, 19:07
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 3, 2010, 19:07
Feb 3, 2010, 19:07

mag wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 18:23:
A couple of days ago he was asked in an interview (essentially), "Will the PC version be hurt by compromises for the Xbox 360?" And he responded, "We designed it for the 360. The 360 version won't suffer at all."

I didn't see that interview or that comment before, and it doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy that's for sure.
Still I want to try this game before I pass judgment on it.
Steam: SpectralMeat

Feb 3, 2010, 18:50
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 3, 2010, 18:50
Feb 3, 2010, 18:50

Again this only goes back to what I said earlier, if you don’t plan on getting the game or don’t like it then why are you hear commenting on it? You’re trying to talk about a game that you really know nothing about. It kind of makes you a hypocrite don’t it?

Feb 3, 2010, 18:42
Re: Gas Powered Games' "Next Big Thing" Announcement Nears Feb 3, 2010, 18:42
Feb 3, 2010, 18:42

Ok, seeing how no ones really seen this game yet or played how is it that some of you think that this games been dumbed down? Is this just an opinion or a fact? And if its a fact where are you getting your info from?

And Sleeepy, I’m not talking about his next game he’s announcing. I know nothing about that yet. I’m referring to Supcom2.

And im not defending CT, i know he can defend himself. I just find it rather rude is all and take offense to it personaly.

what if we just dont like his games? guess we are not allowed to talk because you dont like people being mean to grand emperor taylor! if someone selling a game cant handle criticism and only wants praise then they are an asshole.

Feb 3, 2010, 18:23
mag
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 3, 2010, 18:23
Feb 3, 2010, 18:23
mag

Darks wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 17:44:

All of my complaints about SupCom2 have been based off of statements by Christ Taylor himself in interviews. The screenshots and videos that he has shown have just born them out.

A couple of days ago he was asked in an interview (essentially), "Will the PC version be hurt by compromises for the Xbox 360?" And he responded, "We designed it for the 360. The 360 version won't suffer at all."

Feb 3, 2010, 17:58
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 3, 2010, 17:58
Feb 3, 2010, 17:58

"Another busy day, can't wait to announce our next big thing on the 15th... I hate keeping secrets. :)." GPG's current project, Supreme Commander 2 is expected in March

SNAFU. His current project isn't even out until next month, and already he's moved on.

In the meantime Chris, do me a favour and fix as many of it's bugs as you can. Believe me people, if he doesn't do it now, he never will.

Well over half of my skirmish games playing the original + expansion ended up unresolved with -10 sim speed. Oh, the good ole days.

Feb 3, 2010, 17:44
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 3, 2010, 17:44
Feb 3, 2010, 17:44

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2010, 17:47.

Feb 3, 2010, 17:36
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 3, 2010, 17:36
Feb 3, 2010, 17:36

Darks wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 16:49:
Everyone is entitled to their opinon and that’s fine, but if you really have no interest in buying the game or trying it out than why sit here and complain about it?

I think it's because those who loved TA and supcom really want to like this, but just aren't feeling it. That's me anyway, YMMV. TA I got on it's first day in the shops, supcom had the pre-order six months in advance. Good times. This one I'm not going to pre-judge until I've tried it, but having to wait and actually see what other people think before ordering is a new experience when it comes to CT RTS's for me.

To compare, on the games section of something awful, there was a thread clamouring for beta and talking all about supcom way in advance, but the only mentions of this are in an old FA thread. It shows that the enthusiasm is not there, and that doesn't give me or probably any of the other old supcom/ta fans any smugness.

I hope it does well, I hope we're collectively wrong but we're just not getting the right signals. It's rare that you can straddle the console/PC markets with one game and have it be effective to both target audiences. Doing it with an RTS is an extra level that I don't think anyone has ever done, so maybe SC2 will break new ground, or maybe it's just not going to happen.

Either way, you don't need to whiteknight for CT. He's been in the industry a long time and will do whatever he needs to - it will depend on sales and not on what internet assholes are saying. Some of his recent comments suggest that he's getting into the console side of things more, so I'm not expecting this announcement to be of much interest to the PC gaming side of things. Wouldn't blame him, but as mentioned, doesn't mean I have to like it either.

Feb 3, 2010, 17:18
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 3, 2010, 17:18
Feb 3, 2010, 17:18

I think everyone understands how game development works in the age of big budgets and console marketshare. Perhaps they shouldn't be directing such vitriol towards your pal CT, but the end result is the same. A dumbed down game whose potential is squandered by the console market.

If only consoles were more capable machines, with real input devices as flexible as the mouse/keyboard and the attention spans of their users lasted longer than a minute, there wouldn't be a problem.

But as it stands now, consoles create crap.

Feb 3, 2010, 16:49
Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 3, 2010, 16:49
Feb 3, 2010, 16:49

You guys really don’t know much about how this business is handled do you? Here a quick rundown, GPG doesn’t have a lot of capital to actually fully fund a game so what CT does is goes out with a demo of the game they want to market and tries to get funding to complete that game. the publisher or investor say that nice,, we know you want to develop it for the pc but the pc market isn’t as good as the console market so what’s your plans to making this compatible with the console.

So it comes down this this he really doesn’t have a whole lot of say on what it gets developed for he does what he’s pretty much told or the investor will not invest.

I know CT personally; he loves to make games PC games especially. and when you guys bash a great guy like him who bends over backwards to make PC games it not only insults him but yourselves in the process.

Everyone is entitled to their opinon and that’s fine, but if you really have no interest in buying the game or trying it out than why sit here and complain about it? I guess it just makes those who like to complain feel better.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2010, 16:52.

Feb 3, 2010, 16:37
Re: Gas Powered Games' "Next Big Thing" Announcement Nears Feb 3, 2010, 16:37
Feb 3, 2010, 16:37

It's pretty much because he's taken an IP that was aimed at one group, and then aimed the new one at the fratboy console crowd. It's probably the right move financially and he'd be dumb to have done it any other way, doesn't mean we have to like it though.
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older