BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info

The BioShock 2 Listing on Steam offers system specifications for 2K Games' upcoming shooter sequel, which feature an outline of the game's use of DRM and how Games for Windows is required to play the game (thanks nin via Shacknews). They do not list activation limitations. They list a "15 machine activation limit," reminiscent of the the original BioShock which had lower number of allowed installations until they were removed, and the game will use Games for Windows LIVE as well as Sony DADC SecuROM. Word is: "Initial installation requires one-time internet connection; Ability to save game, earn achievements, receive title updates and online play requires log-in to Games for Windows LIVE; software installations required including Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries, Games for Windows LIVE client, Games for Windows LIVE Client Patch, Sony DADC SecuROM, Microsoft DirectX." The system specs follow.

Minimum:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.4Ghz or better, Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0Ghz Processor or better
Memory: 2GB
Graphics: NVIDIA 7800GT 256MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon X1900 256MB graphics card or better
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive: 11GB
Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0C compliant sound card or onboard sound
Recommended:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core 2.60Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Dual Core 2.13Ghz
Memory: 3GB
Graphics: NVIDIA 8800GT 512MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon HD4830 512MB graphics card or better
Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time internet connection; Ability to save game, earn achievements, receive title updates and online play requires log-in to Games for Windows LIVE; software installations required including Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries, Games for Windows LIVE client, Games for Windows LIVE Client Patch, Sony DADC SecuROM, Microsoft DirectX.
View : : :
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info
Jan 20, 2010, 16:32
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 16:32
Jan 20, 2010, 16:32

SecuROM has prevented Roxio CD-Burning software from simply working for quite a few years now.

totally sounds like that shit with the upper/lower filters on the cd-rom drivers

First of all remove any disk from the drive
Start > Run > Type Regedit > Ok
Click on + next to Hkey_Local_Machine
+ next to System
+ next to Current control set
+ next to Control
+ next to Class
Left click on (4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318)
On the right hand side look for Upper Filters and Lower Filters
Right click on Upper Filters and click on delete
Right click on Lower Filters and click on delete
Restart the computer
Start > Run > Type devmgmt > Ok
Click on + next to DVD/CD-ROM drives
Right click on the burner drive (in my case it was HP DVD CD-ROM 100j)
Click on uninstall
Restart computer

Jan 20, 2010, 16:26
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 16:26
Jan 20, 2010, 16:26

Also, I've never noticed whether a game uses securom or not. Does it matter? Does it degrade performance? What's the huge problem with it where everyone's moaning about it when it pops up with a game? And don't point me to some story about it from 10 years ago or something. Show me where it's fucking up current machines at an astounding rate (or even more than just a handful) and I'll be wary of it.

Just because you haven't heard of something doesn't mean something doesn't exist. There's quite a bit more to factual reality than your perception.

SecuROM has prevented Roxio CD-Burning software from simply working for quite a few years now. I could never figure out why my DVD burner didn't work anymore, until I did a reinstall and tried it BEFORE I got SecuROM installed. Hey, it works again. Hmmm... Reinstall game with SecuROM, oh look, Roxio stopped working.

Fortunately EZ-Burn ignores SecuROM's pathetic attempts at stopping it, but the fact that SecuROM simply kills legitimate software is fucking retarded.

Creston

Jan 20, 2010, 16:24
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 16:24
Jan 20, 2010, 16:24

Does it matter? Does it degrade performance?

iirc, securom does install a service that runs continuously as long as your PC is on.. as to how much resources that takes and how it conflicts with other things, thats way too many variables to consider given the wildly varying states of peoples PCs and how they use them.
also, while the game is playing, securom does a disc check on a constant, ongoing basis - i forget the frequency but its documented somewhere, like every few minutes i think

edit: i seem to recall a debacle involving The Witcher, iirc.. the pirated version ran more smoothly and at a faster frame rate because they ripped out the securom check. and there have been other cases with similar results

for the most part, i could care less about securom - starforce otoh, was total bullshit. it dug deep into the registry, and also added code at the device driver level - code that was fucking balls out retarded, and i did experience issues with that.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2010, 16:29.

Jan 20, 2010, 16:11
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 16:11
Jan 20, 2010, 16:11

I can understand people's complaints about GFWL. I have no issue with it personally, as it tends to mean no undocumented port-opening bullshit when trying to play a new game with your friends (hello Borderlands?). Just send an invite and BAM, works every time.

Having to log on to save files for a single player game? stupid.

Also, I've never noticed whether a game uses securom or not. Does it matter? Does it degrade performance? What's the huge problem with it where everyone's moaning about it when it pops up with a game? And don't point me to some story about it from 10 years ago or something. Show me where it's fucking up current machines at an astounding rate (or even more than just a handful) and I'll be wary of it.

Jan 20, 2010, 16:02
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 16:02
Jan 20, 2010, 16:02

I predict this will only hold the number 1 spot in PC sales for a month, maybe two, before slipping off. I base this on MW2's sales. I won't buy it, and I know a lot of others here won't, but I have no doubt that it'll still sell well. PC gamers are all talk.

Jan 20, 2010, 15:03
Cutter

Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 15:03
Jan 20, 2010, 15:03
 Cutter

I was going to buy this, as I bought the CE for the original - still wubs my Big Daddy statue - but not now. 2K obviously has a very short memory and needs to be reminded - by lack of sales - that consumers, gamers in particular, do not like being forced into things. SecurROM doesn't stop piracy. No one likes GFWL. Needing to login to GFWL to save games? Uh no.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Jan 20, 2010, 14:48
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 14:48
Jan 20, 2010, 14:48

Icewind wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 13:15:
Reactor wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 13:13:
That doesn't work in Arkham. I created an online account so I can't get achievements, and I can't transfer it to an offline account to get them. So, I'm screwed, unless I want to start the game all over again. I really hate GFWL. I don't like DRM either, but that hasn't caused me issues.

Wow, they must have changed it. I was able to do that in GTA4 and FO3. Actually, I did it because I never even knew about the GFWL giving you XBL Gamerscore points, so I imported my offline saves into the online directory (Named after my gamertag) and viola, it worked.

Guess they caught on to people using trainers for cheats, then importing the hacked saves to the online mode.

As I understand it, getting the achievements in FO3 was easy as opening the console and typing a command along the lines of "give achievement x".
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

Jan 20, 2010, 14:45
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 14:45
Jan 20, 2010, 14:45

Icewind wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 13:15:
Wow, they must have changed it. I was able to do that in GTA4 and FO3. Actually, I did it because I never even knew about the GFWL giving you XBL Gamerscore points, so I imported my offline saves into the online directory (Named after my gamertag) and viola, it worked.

Guess they caught on to people using trainers for cheats, then importing the hacked saves to the online mode.

No, it was definitely the case with GTA4 too, but it looks like saves from "offline profiles" are unencrypted and can be imported into an online profile. But not the other way around. If you save a game with an online profile, you can only load it by logging into that same online profile. Even though it's actually on your hard drive (hidden away in an appdata subdirectory that you'll probably not backup next time your reinstall Windows, BTW), it's "encrypted" (weakly) to stop you from using it on another online account, or even on an offline profile.

I had to use xliveless to be allowed to use my save game in GTA4 after I realized I didn't actually have to use an online profile and tried to switch to an offline profile (if you've logged into the GFWL standalone client before, and had it remember your name and password, games don't even offer you the choice of an offline profile).

Jan 20, 2010, 14:44
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 14:44
Jan 20, 2010, 14:44

Icewind wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 13:19:
kyleb wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 13:15:
SBlat wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 12:31:
Don't want people sharing saved games! That's almost like pirating!
Rather, they don't want people using each others saved games to boost the inane "Gamerscores" which those with particularly low self-esteem are so obsessed with. That said, I still prefer games come with GFWL for functionality it provides, and have no issue with SecuROM, but am still on the fence in regard to BioShock 2.

Actually, having a low gamerscore results in massive amounts of taunting and bitchery on XBL. If you're under a few thousand, you'll never hear the end of it. I did everything I could to get a few thousand simply to stop the constant "OMG YOU SUCK FAG!, LOOK AT YOUR SCORE!"

Once you get a few thousand, that stops completely. It's ridiculous, and one of the reasons why I didn't play much Halo 3 online.

Well, my experience has been that that is a universally true statement with XBL, regardless of your score. That's just petulant 13 year olds taking out their angst on whoever happens to have their headset on. Solution? Take the headset off. As a matter of policy whenever I play a public match in XBL, regardless of game, the headset comes off. It only comes on if I am playing with a friend.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2010, 14:44.
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

Jan 20, 2010, 14:34
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 14:34
Jan 20, 2010, 14:34

they know they can screw PC customers (and they will continue to do so) as long as they sell enough console copies.

I bet if there's going to be a Bioshock 3 it'll be for console only, in fact I'm surprised that they even released a PC port of BS 2.

And this isn't just about Bioshock - 2K is so in bed with Securom and GFWL, almost every game they publish is infected with this crap.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2010, 14:35.
Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.
[Tagline: John Carpenter's "The Thing"]
[Tagline: United Police States of America]

Jan 20, 2010, 14:33
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 14:33
Jan 20, 2010, 14:33

I always return my games that turn out to be GFWL or other crap infected. For example, I really wanted to play Batman AA, but once I saw the installer trying to install this GFWL disease, I instantly aborted the installation and returned it to the shop. Thank god thats still possible here in Germany, albeit only in a few shops.

Good to know they announce their GFWL infected crap now (as if they dont want people to buy their games), that will save me a lot of time and hassle.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Jan 20, 2010, 14:29
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 14:29
Jan 20, 2010, 14:29

Acleacius wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 11:50:
Lmao, you have to log onto gwl to Save your game?
Fallout 3 was like this. Rather your game was saved in two different locations if you were connected to live or not.

Jan 20, 2010, 14:27
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 14:27
Jan 20, 2010, 14:27

i sometimes wonder if these guys feel like this kind of shit will make some dent in piracy overall, but they really cant be that stupid... and then you have to ask, well why should we fuck over the paying customers? shouldnt we want to please the people that actually gave us money for this crap?

I've pondered this before and the only conclusion I can come to is that the effects on paying customers are exactly what they intend. Since the PC is an open platform and they can install whatever software they like...they are taking the liberty to make the game less share-able between legit owners. IE bob can't let his friend gary borrow the game without risking some inconviences at least. The linking to the GFWL platform could easily be used to insure that not only is the game installed only a limited number of times, but then only one profile is every allowed to play it online. This is about forcing more paying customers to purchase the game directly from them rather than borrowing it from a friend or buying it used.

That's probably all it was ever about. Piracy is just a cover for them to install software designed to track each games usage and if a copy of the game is used "too much" then it's turned off.

Think of it as a lifetime subscription to an MMO. If the maker of that MMO thought the account might be shared with other people wanting to play the game then they'd happily shut down the account and keep your money. Once you pay them for that license to play their game it's in their best interests to revoke that license rather than keep it working forever.

Jan 20, 2010, 14:06
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 14:06
Jan 20, 2010, 14:06

Not even interested. Besides, even if I were, I can wait a year and wait till it goes on sale for $5. Hell, that's what happened to the first one.

Jan 20, 2010, 13:58
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 13:58
Jan 20, 2010, 13:58

space captain wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 12:41:
i sometimes wonder if these guys feel like this kind of shit will make some dent in piracy overall, but they really cant be that stupid... and then you have to ask, well "why should we fuck over the paying customers? shouldnt we want to please the people that actually gave us money for this crap?"

Apparently only Brad Wardell is smart enough to figure this out. The rest of the gaming industry really is this stupid.

Creston

Jan 20, 2010, 13:50
Verno

Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 13:50
Jan 20, 2010, 13:50
 Verno

I am even less excited about Bioshock 2 than I was previously which I didn't think was possible. Forget this mess.
Playing: Ys VIII, Hades, Demons Souls
Watching: The Expanse, Tenet, Peninsula

Jan 20, 2010, 13:43
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 13:43
Jan 20, 2010, 13:43

Why don't they just offer a rental license for 7 days. It seems obvious they don't want anyone to have a working copy of the game forever so just offer a rental plan for less money and quit trying to scam people.

Happily buying this on the console.

Jan 20, 2010, 13:32
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 13:32
Jan 20, 2010, 13:32

Well I prefer this over GTA4 and any other games extra 'social club' crap. I'll buy this game when it's $20 or less, first did not impress much.

Still hate GFW and GFWL with a passion; I don't want to associate my PC with my 360. Wait till cell phones get GFWL so you can be at McD and party chat with your friends playing MW2.

Jan 20, 2010, 13:29
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 13:29
Jan 20, 2010, 13:29

SuckyROM and GFWL?

Screw it.

Jan 20, 2010, 13:27
Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 13:27
Jan 20, 2010, 13:27

Huh, I just mute morons like that, and didn't play much Halo 3 due to the crappy framerate.
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older