Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Dark Void PC Demo [Updated]

A Windows playable demo for Dark Void is now available, offering a sample of Airtight Games' action shooter, in spite of indications that a PC demo wasn't coming. The demo is available on FilePlanet, where a free registration is required, and they are calling this an "exclusive," so it's possible mirrors will not be allowed. The download is about 1 GB, and word is: "Dark Void delivers a ground breaking combination of fast paced vertical combat mixed with mid-air and on-foot action. Exclusive to FilePlanet, this is the first demo ever released for this awesome title!" Update: We're told permission has been granted to mirror the demo, and it is now also available on FanGaming and WorthPlaying.
View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. I finally tried it. Feb 8, 2010, 02:03 Ant

Ugh, horrible. I had trouble steering when flying with my mouse. Lame. I got dizzy/motion sickness too.  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 16, 2010, 15:26 Lit_Reflex001

Sounds good. I'll have to load it up again and see if I can adjust the controls.

30. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 16, 2010, 07:57 Eldaron Imotholin

DAMN Anynomous! There's so much passion in that comment that you almost convinced me Dark Void is crap!!

But really, I played the demo again today and yesterday and even showed a friend of mine. I haven't seen my friend laugh so hard when I was fighting on the ground against aliens, jumped up and then accidentily clicked "Q" instead of space again (to hover). The result was that my guy's jetback shot forward. He smacked face first into the ground and his lifeless body flew off the platform due to the momentum of the boost. It was hilarious! After that he pleaded me to let him play for a few minutes.

In the end we both admitted that the game isn't anywhere near the quality of... say, Mass Effect... but a DAMN LOT OF FUN nonetheless.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

29. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 16, 2010, 02:42 Lit_Reflex001

This game is junk. Those idiots are truly incompetent. I really mean that.

I couldn't even control the damned thing while flying due to their stupid ideas about physics and how it should take you 3 seconds to begin moving in any direction from when you begin trying.

I also think that designing their game to resemble Halo makes them look like a child trying to act cool with a potentially invalid idea.

I also find their forced widescreen mode for non-widescreen resolutions to be inhibitive. Widescreen is great... AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A WIDESCREEN MONITOR.

OTHERWISE YOU ARE STUCK IN A SMALL RECTANGULAR BOX PLAYING SOME RIDICULOUS PIECE OF SHIT GAME THAT DOESN'T EVEN FUNCTION PROPERLY.

Not to mention the weird fat guy in the beginning.

Wanna know the funniest part? If they had only gotten a few basic principles right, it might have been fun (and extremely profitable, based on the Fileplanet download ranking <#2>).

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2010, 02:46.

28. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 16, 2010, 00:38 The PC Warrior

i thought it decent enough for a $20 steam purchase down the line.  

27. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 15, 2010, 09:48 Eldaron Imotholin

Verno wrote on Jan 15, 2010, 09:31:
I think my favorite part about this game was the preview where the designer said "Oh and we dont have any of those silly gimmick QTEs either" followed immediately by a forced QTE in the game on-screen. All I've heard about this game is negative stuff so I think I'll pass.

I like those silly Quick Time Events! *blush*.... *hides*

26. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 15, 2010, 09:31 Verno

I think my favorite part about this game was the preview where the designer said "Oh and we dont have any of those silly gimmick QTEs either" followed immediately by a forced QTE in the game on-screen. All I've heard about this game is negative stuff so I think I'll pass.  

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

25. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 15, 2010, 07:25 SectorEffector

to be honest I loved that game Chaser, and I knew it had some real bad shortcomings.... *stands out of his chair and crys and hugs fat man next to him* Seriously though, didn't anyone think chaser was kinda cool for awhile, atleast multiplayer?.

just to share for any random travelers to see this good games are.
Deus Ex
Crusader: No Remorse / Regret
Fallout (any of them, you can't go wrong)
Terminator Future Shock ( exorbitantly amazing for its time )
Scarlett Johansson's butt in Lost in Translation.

I get it guys, I'll give Infernal another look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

24. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 15, 2010, 04:56 Eldaron Imotholin

SectorEffector wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 22:56:
How much did Capcom pay you to write out that contrived statement?

Infernal was lackluster with some positive features, with the assortments of weapons and abilities the game tells you where and when you can use them, removing any experimentation.

It scares me more that you think this demo is "AWESOME" and that you "really enjoyed" Infernal.

I understand where you're coming from. But my taste is that games don't have to be deep like Mass Effect or Dragon Age or solid like Gears of War (I actually dislike that game though) for me to like. I love the simplicity of Infernal. It's just some good fun while it lasts! It's probably the same with Dark Void although I think this game truly has more potential than Infernal.

Maybe my taste is very different than yours and many others. For example.. I utterly LOVE movies like The Midnight Meat Train and The Fountain. Just like I love games like Infernal and Dragon Age.

And yes, like Creston said: Not everyone shares your opinion. Cope with it.

23. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 15, 2010, 01:08 Creston

SectorEffector wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 22:56:

Infernal was lackluster with some positive features, with the assortments of weapons and abilities the game tells you where and when you can use them, removing any experimentation.

It scares me more that you think this demo is "AWESOME" and that you "really enjoyed" Infernal.

People sometimes have different opinions than you do. Shocking, I know.

Haven't played this demo, but I thought Infernal was pretty fun for a single time through. (though it has absolutely the WORST first level in the history of gaming.)

Creston

22. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 23:00 SectorEffector

Now that I really think about it, this game is even worse than that game Damnation.

Clumsy cinematics
Clumsy game-play.
If I use my cognitive abilities to see any clear difference between a game I think has heart and soul and games that don't, I would definitely think about games like these.

Strangely I thought Lost Planet was pretty good, so from that to this is just wrong.

21. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 22:56 SectorEffector

20. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 22:28 Eldaron Imotholin

I LOVED this demo although it's ridiculously short.

Gameplay is AWESOME although the aiming-and-shooting with jetguns feels weird. Kinda like your mouse-input is delayed. I know this is deliberate because it should add to the realistic feel (since you're flying a blazing jetpack) and I understand that, but it at least takes some getting used to.

The world looks good enough to be considered beautiful for high-end machine gamers while the low-end can tag along with a happy face.

The combat feels great. The fact that there's a gears-of-war like cover system + the ability to just launch up into the air to hover over the battlefield and rain down death from above (or flee when shit goes bad) is a sensation that brings a warm feeling to every action gamer out there!

The gameplay and graphics got me thinking about the game "Infernal" -- which I actually really enjoyed, I might add! -- for some reason. Smooth and fun!

Give this demo a try!! I personally don't understand all the negativity I've read about Dark Void lately.

19. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 21:56 jason_deluxe

@sector yeah the pc demo needs an xbox controller, you're right about that...I played it more than it deserved with one and it's trying to do some semi interesting things the Capcom brand is all about but it fails pretty harshly...

Nothing compelling about it...the mod level production values and the complete lack of default pc control support could strangle a ms. pacman in the cradle...I would not waste time on this

18. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 21:01 SectorEffector

I am giving the demo a thumbs up it's worth trying out.

I couldn't disagree any more, this is one of the worst games I've played in awhile. From the get go you can tell this games gonna be bad. And once you get on top of the enemies vehicle, the controls made me laugh even more. I played Arma I and II and OF and I thought those games had some sluggish controls ( not anymore seeing this game )

I can't even believe how lame just about all the guns feel, honestly they feel like spud guns. On top of that the wallop you get when you hit an enemy is pathetic. No Offense but I play games to do cool things not shoot a pea gun in an indestructible world. It even shows more brainless consolitus with the " Shoot the Three power nodes before the shield goes down", then right when that is completed, it just does these half ass in game cut-scenes of just more reinforcements coming, no musical cues, just a quick camera change of. Guess what...Theres more, random unfun to battle henchman for you to kill. Total Crap. Gonna go play me some more Borderlands, or Killing floor.

Note: I played with KB and Mouse so maybe that's why the control of the player in the game just made me feel like there's 40 layers of crap before your hand movement really gets to character on screen.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2010, 21:02.

17. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 19:31 Ray Marden

I loved me some Crimson Skies, but this has done too many things to piss me off.

There is all the unzipping and installing to then install crap, but the installer itself took quite some time...I hit the launch command and nothing happened the first time...the abrupt start of the demo...not being able to access any options until I started playing a new game...and then the flight controls were totally f*ck*d up.

Mind you, I am going at this with a mouse and keyboard, but everything was fine (Windows, main screen, and ground portion) early on, but the moment I hit the jetpack, the game was endlessly moving me in the last direction I had moved the mouse. This wasn't the old "stuck key" (or tilted joystick) issue, but the game itself was endlessly repeating any mouse movement I had.

I'm spinning to the left so I move the mouse slightly to the right; now I'm spinning to the right. Maybe it's just an issue with that axis? Except moving the mouse forward a millimeter ends putting me in circles. And move the mouse down slightly? More circular motions, but in the opposite direction. Ultimately, the only way I could fly straight was to literally shake the mouse from side to side.

Who knows? Maybe this game just has crap mouse support, maybe there is some weird incompatability I am experiencing, or maybe I hit some strange toggle, but that was enough for me.

It's a shame, too, because I loved Crimson Skies. I would rather go play one of my current games (much less the ones just weeks away...) than deal with any more of this crap.
Talk about a bad first impression.
Wishing those jerks that Bioware would actually communicate about the DLC...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

16. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 14, 2010, 18:59 Belzabub

KilrathiAce wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 14:15:
I am awaiting review of the demo from mr. Overon

Oh brother
Give me a freaking break.

15. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 14, 2010, 18:11 Overon

siapnar wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 18:06:
I'm surprised you gave it praise at the end, Overon. I was totally expecting this game to suck balls.

Well I gave the demo a thumbs up and said it was worth trying. Though the thing with resolutions being cropped and not full screen bothers me.

14. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 14, 2010, 18:06 siapnar

I'm surprised you gave it praise at the end, Overon. I was totally expecting this game to suck balls.

Then again, I haven't tried the demo myself yet, so I can't form an opinion.

13. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 14, 2010, 16:22 Overon

Ant wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 16:15:
I think the reason for using zip or self extraction is because some administrators can't configure their Web server's MIME correctly.
Even so, they could have created a non compressed 7-zip file that does not use any compression and it would extract quickly.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2010, 16:24.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >