Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion

Activision Blizzard announces that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has passed $1 billion in worldwide retail sales according to their internal estimates. This is all the more impressive considering the game has only been available for about two months. "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has exceeded our expectations and shattered theatrical box office and video game records," says Activision CEO Bobby Kotick. "There are only a handful of entertainment properties that have ever reached the $1 billion mark, which illustrates the power of the Call of Duty franchise and mass appeal of this game."
View : : :
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion
Jan 16, 2010, 15:48
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 16, 2010, 15:48
Jan 16, 2010, 15:48

We should all join in and make it a mass debate.

Uhoh

Jan 16, 2010, 14:23
Verno

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 16, 2010, 14:23
Jan 16, 2010, 14:23
 Verno

He apparently doesn't understand how debating works.
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Jan 16, 2010, 11:30
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 16, 2010, 11:30
Jan 16, 2010, 11:30

*posts opinion*

*claims its proof*

*is actually jeryk*

wait ill do verno now

*posts opinion*

*claims its proof*

*argues for 20 pages*

you two are so much better rite?

Headscratch Huh
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Jan 16, 2010, 10:26
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 16, 2010, 10:26
Jan 16, 2010, 10:26

*posts opinion*

*claims its proof*

*is actually jeryk*

wait ill do verno now

*posts opinion*

*claims its proof*

*argues for 20 pages*

you two are so much better rite?

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2010, 11:07.

Jan 16, 2010, 02:10
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 16, 2010, 02:10
Jan 16, 2010, 02:10

Thanks for your meaningful contribution to this debate, PC Warrior. Dunno what we'd do without you.

Jan 16, 2010, 00:35
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 16, 2010, 00:35
Jan 16, 2010, 00:35

only you idiots could turn a perfectly good modern warfare bash thread into this.

Jan 16, 2010, 00:33
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 16, 2010, 00:33
Jan 16, 2010, 00:33

I think it's impossible to generalize an entire audience's taste by contrasting game sales from individual titles.

I think it's very possible. Let's look at what sells best on 360: shooters. Halo, GoW, CoD, etc. From the whopping sales of shooters on 360, I think it's safe to assume that the majority of 360 gamers like shooters. The fact that so many of them love Halo and GoW also suggests that they don't have that much experience with shooters, otherwise they would have higher standards and those games wouldn't sell so well. Then there's the fact that they enjoy playing shooters with a control scheme that is so lousy for shooters (hence the existence of aim assist). Mouse and keyboard are undeniably faster and more precise and a vastly superior control scheme for playing shooters.

Then you have the strengths of each platform. Consoles are more accessible and convenient. They are also more conducive to real-life social activities. Consoles are inferior to the PC in all technical respects. So, with consoles being so popular, it's safe to assume that the average console gamer is more interested in accessibility, convenience and casual play than in the core game experience itself (which is quantifiably superior on PC due to higher framerates, resolutions, AA, AF, faster and more precise controls, flexibility, etc).

First, people buy what is available to them.

Everybody can buy a PC. Everybody can buy the PC version of a multiplatform game. Dragon Age was an awesome game and it is available on 360, PS3 and PC. However, MW2 has sold about 10 times better. I think that's fairly indicative of the average consumer's taste.

Many of the so-called console kiddies are in fact PC gamers.

But to what degree? I highly doubt any hardcore PC gamer would enjoy playing a shooter on a console. There are certainly gamers who dabble with both platforms but they tend to stick with what the platforms do best. Fighting games, platformers, JRPGs, etc, on consoles, shooters, strategy, RPG, sims, etc, on the PC. However, all those millions of people who bought Halo? Pretty sure they weren't hardcore PC gamers.

Sorry Verno but your position isn't supported by logic or evidence. I know you like claiming to be fair and impartial and I know you play consoles yourself. That's all well and good but you're ignoring all the evidence that goes against what you're saying.

Jan 15, 2010, 12:54
Verno

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 15, 2010, 12:54
Jan 15, 2010, 12:54
 Verno

I'm just pointing out that the evidence here supports the fact that they tend to flock to games that are considered pretty lousy by hardcore PC gamers, and that this is reflected in the trends of games becoming more consolized.

Again, I disagree. I think it's impossible to generalize an entire audience's taste by contrasting game sales from individual titles. First, people buy what is available to them. No one is making Deus Ex anymore so it's pretty hard to tell if they would or wouldn't purchase it if there was a console version. The huge process of PC developers moving to consoles and learning to deal with hardware that has a resource ceiling has been a painful one, I think it's disingenuous to blame it on users.

Second, gaming isn't that old. Many of the so-called console kiddies are in fact PC gamers. People play different games, they rarely just stick to a singular genre or preference. That's part of the reason we're seeing genre bleed with RPGs and shooters. Developers are experimenting just like consumers are.

Finally, Call of Duty has always performed well on the PC. This is the first iteration where we've seen a poor port and even then in this thread you'll find a few people who debate that. I don't think it was so much a poor port as it was lacking PC specific features. I think it's pretty silly to blame a different market for what is obviously the developer purposely slighting the PC platform. Even more silly - some of those here bitching actually bought it anyways.

Jan 15, 2010, 11:43
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 15, 2010, 11:43
Jan 15, 2010, 11:43

That's all fair and quite reasonable, I'd just caution against using silly terms because you have to remember publishers and other gamers use them against the "hardcore" segment too and as I recall, none of you like it too much either. I wouldn't like being called a "pirate whiner" nor would I like being called a "console kiddie" either for that matter.
I don't actually care what they call us. They can call me a pirate, even a whiny one, if they like. I only care when they try to ascribe reasons or motivations to me for my actions without evidence of such, and usually in an effort to deflect criticism from themselves. I'm not trying to ascribe motivations to the console crowd. I'm just pointing out that the evidence here supports the fact that they tend to flock to games that are considered pretty lousy by hardcore PC gamers, and that this is reflected in the trends of games becoming more consolized.

While Sepharo makes light of my point, I think it's an important one nonetheless. I'd much rather entice the "casual" crowds of console/PC gamers into the style of games I prefer as opposed to alienating them which accomplishes nothing and keeps the hardcore firmly established as a fringe group that the industry shouldn't really waste time making products for.
This is a valid point. As more people have become gamers over the last decade or so, I hope that their tastes might start to trend towards games with deeper gameplay, better stories, and more customizable options so that we can play the way we want. I just don't see much of that happening. I was glad to see Bioware move back in that direction with DA, but most other games seem to be going the wrong way, removing everything that PC gamers expect and like about the games and just doing limited straight ports of the console versions. PC games simply shouldn't play just like console games. Seems like hardly anyone but Valve knows how to make a cross-platform game properly.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 11:46.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Jan 15, 2010, 08:53
Verno

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 15, 2010, 08:53
Jan 15, 2010, 08:53
 Verno

Here I play Verno and respond to your adequate explanation:

ALL YOU HARDCORE ELITIST THINK YOU'RE BETTER THAN EVERYONE YOU ONLY SEE THE WORLD IN BLACK AND WHITE

Here I play Sepharo who has nothing to contribute: capslock statement about another user lol get it guyzzzz?

At this point, it seems like you're just arguing semantics. You haven't actually refuted any of my specific points.

In general I'm trying not to respond to you because A) you're deluded and B) you just start massive quote wars that go on for pages. So yeah, sorry, you ran out of credit with me, you'll have to find someone else to argue with

Wowbaggers long and reasonable explanation

That's all fair and quite reasonable, I'd just caution against using silly terms because you have to remember publishers and other gamers use them against the "hardcore" segment too and as I recall, none of you like it too much either. I wouldn't like being called a "pirate whiner" nor would I like being called a "console kiddie" either for that matter. While Sepharo makes light of my point, I think it's an important one nonetheless. I'd much rather entice the "casual" crowds of console/PC gamers into the style of games I prefer as opposed to alienating them which accomplishes nothing and keeps the hardcore firmly established as a fringe group that the industry shouldn't really waste time making products for.

Jan 15, 2010, 05:01
Kxmode

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 15, 2010, 05:01
Jan 15, 2010, 05:01
 Kxmode

I've often asked myself why the video game industry hasn't repeated what occurred in 1983. If you compare today with then there are many parallels.

- Flood of consoles and games, giving consumers far too many choices,
- a glut of poor titles from hastily financed start-up companies, and
- rushed to market and undeveloped titles

And then it hit me: I think the reason the market hasn't collapse is the sheer number of gamers today.
"What does Ramen mean? It means Japanese spaghetti."

Jan 14, 2010, 23:54
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 14, 2010, 23:54
Jan 14, 2010, 23:54

Using a generalization like that is pretty stupid was the point. It's like someone calling all PC gamers pirates or saying we're all Simtards or something. You wouldn't like it either, you just want an excuse to serve your bias.

Would it make you feel better if I said "Hardcore PC gamers have higher standards (in PC-centric genres and in technical areas) than the vast majority of console gamers?" That's a far more specific than "console kiddies," though they basically mean the same thing.

At this point, it seems like you're just arguing semantics. You haven't actually refuted any of my specific points. Like I said before, "console kiddie" is not necessarily a reference to age. There's nothing stopping a 13-year-old from playing Fallout 1 and there's nothing requiring a 33-year-old to do the same. Experience is not necessarily correlated with age. However, the fact remains that hardcore PC gamers have more experience in PC-centric genres. Why? Because PC-centric genres have been on the PC for much longer than consoles and there are far more games (all the classics as well) to draw experience from. Similarly, having higher technical standards is pretty irrefutable. Console gamers tend to favor convenience and accessibility while hardcore PC gamers favor performance, quality and flexibility. That's why hardcore PC gamers spend so much on hardware. Again, if you can refute either of these points, please do.

Jan 14, 2010, 19:19
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 14, 2010, 19:19
Jan 14, 2010, 19:19

Here I play Verno and respond to your adequate explanation:

ALL YOU HARDCORE ELITIST THINK YOU'RE BETTER THAN EVERYONE YOU ONLY SEE THE WORLD IN BLACK AND WHITE

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 00:46.

Jan 14, 2010, 17:46
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 14, 2010, 17:46
Jan 14, 2010, 17:46

What evidence? Gaming is made up of more than simply "popular" titles and genres. Consumers don't exclusively belong to one category either. Many Bluesnews readers own both consoles and PCs even.
I happen to be a primarily PC gamer who also owns consoles. I believe I fall on the hardcore end of the gamer spectrum, although I've tended somewhat more towards casual games recently, mostly due to time constraints. I still do the vast majority of my gaming on the PC. The console tends to be for playing games with my wife or certain console-only titles that I have an interest in.

There are many more console gamers than PC gamers. The overlap between the two is largely in the casual game market. Hardcore players of either platform are very much a minority, and the overlap of hardcore gamers that play on both platforms would be even smaller.

Now, we've discussed the definition of "consolized" to death in these forums in the past, and there are a lot of traits that we've identified that define it. Many of these are even supported by the comments from the developers themselves as being necessary for the game to work on the console platform. Others are just due to the tastes of console gamers in general or at least the perception of those tastes by the developer/publisher.

So, when talking about console-kiddies, I'm using a somewhat derogatory term to describe that large group of gamers that flock to the type of game that developers release that fits that "consolized" definition, which tends to be antithetical to hardcore PC gamers. Does that mean it's antithetical to all PC gamers? No, of course not, but it is to most hardcore PC gamers, which is why we see the outcry against consolization of games when they come out. The outcry comes from the hardcore crowd which are, of course, disproportionately represented in forums like this.

I wonder sometimes if the hardcore PC gamer population is dwindling, possibly because, like me, they are trending away from hardcore titles to more casual fare as they have less time for gaming in their lives. I still prefer deeper games, and I find most of the casual games out there to be boring beyond belief, but the silver lining is that while there are fewer deep games out there now, they tend to be sufficient since I have less time to play anyway.

The next time a publisher says all PC consumers are pirates I'll be looking for you and Jerykk sitting there defending the publisher because all generalizations and stereotypes are so true....right? That's what I thought.
Not likely, since I'm a pirate, and Jerykk has admitted to his share of downloading games as well. I don't think I could offer much defense against the claim. I can explain it, but I can't deny it.

Edit: I misread that last part when I replied. I meant that I would probably agree that there are a lot of PC gamers that are pirates, but I probably wouldn't agree with the reasons that the publishers give, or with their claims about the effects.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2010, 22:30.

Jan 14, 2010, 15:33
Verno

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 14, 2010, 15:33
Jan 14, 2010, 15:33
 Verno

I meant ad revenue specifically. Investors generally don't like it when a company has difficulty diversifying and most of Google's other ventures have met with lukewarm reception. Their own acquisitions have been a bit puzzling at times as well. But yeah, they do search very well though competition is finally arising, Bing gained a pretty hefty marketshare in a short period of time.

Jan 14, 2010, 15:09
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 14, 2010, 15:09
Jan 14, 2010, 15:09

Verno wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 15:07:
Google continues to amaze me in terms of how well their stock performs given that their revenue stream is practically limited to one product.

Well, it does make a difference when that "one product" is every bit of information known to man.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Jan 14, 2010, 15:07
Verno

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 14, 2010, 15:07
Jan 14, 2010, 15:07
 Verno

Google continues to amaze me in terms of how well their stock performs given that their revenue stream is practically limited to one product.

Jan 14, 2010, 14:44
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 14, 2010, 14:44
Jan 14, 2010, 14:44

Tumbler wrote on Jan 13, 2010, 15:36:
Well good job buying in March of 09, that was a smart decision... I chose to sell some stock at that point which feels pretty dumb at this point...

But I know exactly what you mean when describe the stock price not following a course that makes sense. I'd expect it to have grown considerably since march 09 and to have stayed there thanx to the success of MW2. I don't know enough about Activisions internal reporting to understand why the stock has behaved the way it has.

It's bizarre. Companies this big may simply take some hits when their major competitors have bad news to report. (EA saying 2010 is going to come in below expectations, or analyst's reporting consumers are going to spend less this year at retail...)

Yeah.. I'm not sure I'm cut out for the stock market when such a sure-thing doesn't seem so sure when looking at it from the stock perspective.

I should have invested in Google.. which doubled since March.
Or Motorola, which almost tripled.

Goddamit

Jan 14, 2010, 13:48
Verno

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 14, 2010, 13:48
Jan 14, 2010, 13:48
 Verno

What evidence? Gaming is made up of more than simply "popular" titles and genres. Consumers don't exclusively belong to one category either. Many Bluesnews readers own both consoles and PCs even.

Using a generalization like that is pretty stupid was the point. It's like someone calling all PC gamers pirates or saying we're all Simtards or something. You wouldn't like it either, you just want an excuse to serve your bias.

Someone liking Gears of War doesn't preclude them from ever playing anything more advanced. "experience" and age have little to do with it beyond childhood itself. The average age of gamers has risen considerably over the past 10 years from 12-21 to 19-35 and you can't explain that away with a generational gap given the growth of gaming over that same period.

He's a short sighted platform advocate, I have no clue why you're in rush to agree with someone like that. You're all welcome to your own opinions however, no matter how arrogant and unintelligent they may be

The next time a publisher says all PC consumers are pirates I'll be looking for you and Jerykk sitting there defending the publisher because all generalizations and stereotypes are so true....right? That's what I thought.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2010, 14:00.

Jan 14, 2010, 13:27
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Top $1 Billion Jan 14, 2010, 13:27
Jan 14, 2010, 13:27

I still swear Jerykk's favorite online game is console-whining.
Whatever you want to call it, it doesn't mean he's wrong about it. The evidence supports it.
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older