New ATI Reference Drivers

GAME.AMD.COM now offers downloads of new version 9.12 reference drivers for ATI graphics cards. The new drivers offer 3DMark Vantage performance improvements and up to 6% framerate increases for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat running under single card configurations.
View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: New ATI Reference Drivers
Dec 18, 2009, 12:54
Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 18, 2009, 12:54
Dec 18, 2009, 12:54

Nor have I - it's both funny and saddening having a 24" monitor and sitting at the Windows desktop with black bars on all four sides (depending on the resoultion.)

Samsung 2433BW:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/office/monitors/essential/LS24CMKKFV/ZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

Vistiontek HD 4850 512MB:
http://graphics.visiontek.com/video/4000/4850.html

This is using DVI, with and without the monitor driver installed, and I would have to be back at home to break down which resolutions do what.

Everythign was fine on the Windows 7 x64 install and even the 9.11 drivers up until I actually selected a different refresh for one resolution (I think it was 1680x1050 where I noticed Windows was running at 59hz, but I selected 60hz) and then everything went screwey.

Literally, I am at my wit's end on this - I've tried with and without the monitor drive, custom timings (that disappear,) different driver versions, removing all drivers, etc.

I have found quite a few people with similar issues via Google, but no specific cause/fix as of yet. It's quite funny/sad spending so much time just trying to get an video signal to fit my monitor (which works pre-Windows, certain resoultions, when I set Windows to a specific resolution/refresh, etc.)

I didn't have time to fiddle with it last night nor will I have much time tonight, but I am hoping to resolve it this weekend. This is a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 so I may just give in and try rolling back or even doing another fresh install...
And no hardware changed what so ever and all worked until that one point.
Shrugging,
Ray
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Dec 18, 2009, 11:05
Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 18, 2009, 11:05
Dec 18, 2009, 11:05

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=78815

No problem - just change it back and.....WHAM 80% of my resolutions are now running in letterbox. It's like a full resoltuion (1900x1200) signal is being sent to the monitor, but the desktop is only displaying at the corresponding pixel count (black borders on all four sides, depending on the resolution selected.) You can manually fix your desktop resolution, but CCC won't save changes to non-selected resolutions.

These current drivers still make some mention of the issue (which is scary,) but any manually set resolutions would disappear. I'll find out this weekend if everything is fixed, but.......fail, total fail, by ATI.
Seriously, can ATI not bother to fix the 2D/3D bug???
Edit: Yes, obviously, I have the correct monitor driver.

Tired of ATI,
Ray

Hmmmm....I'm using a 20" LCD (1600x1200 native)with one ATi card, and a 27.5" LCD (1920x1200) with a pair of 4850's in Xfire, and I've never experienced anything remotely similar to the problem you describe--ever.

You don't mention what type of monitor you're using, what sort of refresh rates you are forcing, and what type of connection you're using running from your card to the monitor, and whether or not you are using standard pixel resolutions or trying to force HD resolutions. Without knowning any of those things you're problem is impossible to diagnose, as any incorrect setup for any of those factors could and would cause what you are experiencing.

One thing--if you are using and LCD with an HDMI cable, you *must* use the included ATi HDMI adaptor or you'll get all kinds of funky output. I also don't bother with the so-called "HD" resolution settings in the CATs and use only the normal pixel resolution settings--and I've never had a problem with 1920x1200 native running full screen perfectly.

I can't even attempt a diagnosis of your problems with the info you've listed, but it sure sounds like an incorrect configuration of *some kind* between your 3d-card and your monitor. As far as such things being problematic in the drivers themselves--I've never had this problem over a span of years, different monitors, different ATi cards, and every single Catalyst driver set ATi has released since ATi started calling them "Catalysts"...;)

Good luck!
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Dec 18, 2009, 10:49
Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 18, 2009, 10:49
Dec 18, 2009, 10:49

Under still known issues:

Adobe Flash player 10.1 Prerelease: dropped frames and browser lag may be noticed when playing multiple instances of Youtube clips with hardware 
acceleration enabled 

Hmmmm I saw some dropped frames while simultaneously copying stuff to a USB stick yesterday, wonder if it's related.

Could be--player 10.1 is still in beta at the present time.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Dec 18, 2009, 10:21
Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 18, 2009, 10:21
Dec 18, 2009, 10:21

Yes, my whininig aside , ATI is significantly better than what it was.

In the old days, price and performance might not have mattered as much - the real question was whether or not you could get the thing running reliably.

I am just frustrated that, with each time I jump over to ATI, I frequently run into some bizarre bugs. In a weird way, it's less about the quantity of bugs so much as how strange they are (like the above mentioned letterbox issues...WTF??? )

Having said that all, ATI is about the only company making video cards these days. It really is just a Nvidia/ATI world (R.I.P. everybody else,) but clearly NVIDIA has no idea what in the heck it is doing right now. Maybe, maybe we'll see something early next year - but at what price? What performance level? What will ATI be able to respond with in turn? I do have to give ATI credit, too, for not abusing its position as nvidia would historically do. Yeah, some prices have edged up a bit, but nothing like the past.

Ultimately, they're the only company pshing (I use that relatively) 3D graphics on PCs right now and you aren't wrong for purchasing an ATI card, but I could definitely go for a generation of card/driver that didn't give me some really strange functionality. Mind you, I make matters worst by virtue of constantly mixing a combination of 2D and 3D items simultaneously (DVD playback, work document, DreamScene, and a windowed game...)

Likely to upgrade in the next generation,
Ray
Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

Dec 17, 2009, 22:10
Rigs

Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 17, 2009, 22:10
Dec 17, 2009, 22:10
 Rigs

Tired of ATI

I have to say, that with only a few problems here and there, such as your problem, Ray, I am extremely pleased with the way ATI has been keeping on the ball with it's drivers the last few months, and even years. I'm sure we can all remember back in the day (late '90s, early 2000s) when ATI's drivers were something to be feared. Not by the competition, but by it's own users. I was a dedicated nVidia fan since the original TNT and Geforce 2MX series (which I personally think helped to bring vid cards into the affordable range and keep it there). ATI, at the time, in my mind was more a business product. In my various temping at many different large companies in the NYC/NJ metro area, most of them had systems with an ATI card of some sort installed. While enough for a Windows NT or 95/98 system pushing Word and Excel all day, they were far too underpowered for the gaming scene. And many times caused glitches and problems just doing some of the simple tasks. (I hope to never have to relive the horror of trying to get work done on an old DELL or Compaq with Windows NT on a misbehaving ATI card, suffering massive migrains trying to see on a 'tiny' 14"/15" CRT! And don't even get me started on the S3 vid cards or Matrox. Makes my head hurt just thinking about it)...
But when the Radeon series started and the 9600 and 9800 PRO's came out, ATI started to come around. True, the drivers were atrocious, but they got better with each version. This is why they still stand while others, like 3DFX and Rendition, have fallen. (No, I'm not claiming that's the only reason for their downfalls, but it played a part, however small) nVidia was king, but ATI seemed to keep their eye on the prize and just work through it. After getting my 9800PRO, I haven't looked back. Now, after a 9800PRO AIW, X850PRO, HD2400, HD4870 and HD5770, I'm perfectly happy with my choice to jump ship. While nVidia has gone spinning out of touch with the market it helped to build, ATI has just slipped in with what matters - good vid cards, good inventory and respectable drivers...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 22:16.
Survivor of the 12/10/21 Mayfield EF4 tornado
'Sorry, we thought you were dead.'
'I was. I'm better now.'

Dec 17, 2009, 20:36
Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 17, 2009, 20:36
Dec 17, 2009, 20:36

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=78815

As for the ATI/Windows 7 refresh issues, go look them up on Google. I haven't honestly tested the new drivers since being home, but the previous version(s?) was a nightmare.

I had one game that was acting a little strange, acting like it was running at the wrong refresh rate. I went to check the refresh rate in CCC and it was set lower than it should.

No problem - just change it back and.....WHAM 80% of my resolutions are now running in letterbox. It's like a full resoltuion (1900x1200) signal is being sent to the monitor, but the desktop is only displaying at the corresponding pixel count (black borders on all four sides, depending on the resolution selected.) You can manually fix your desktop resolution, but CCC won't save changes to non-selected resolutions.

These current drivers still make some mention of the issue (which is scary,) but any manually set resolutions would disappear. I'll find out this weekend if everything is fixed, but.......fail, total fail, by ATI.
Seriously, can ATI not bother to fix the 2D/3D bug???
Edit: Yes, obviously, I have the correct monitor driver.

Tired of ATI,
Ray

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 20:37.
Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

Dec 17, 2009, 19:22
Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 17, 2009, 19:22
Dec 17, 2009, 19:22

Adobe Flash player 10.1 Prerelease: dropped frames and browser lag may be noticed when playing multiple instances of Youtube clips with hardware 
acceleration enabled 

Hmmmm I saw some dropped frames while simultaneously copying stuff to a USB stick yesterday, wonder if it's related.

Dec 17, 2009, 18:15
Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 17, 2009, 18:15
Dec 17, 2009, 18:15

Maybe Borderlands won't constantly reset the display adapter now without tinkering with the CCC?

Maybe most Windows 7 resolutions won't run in letterbox now?
Really? I haven't had either of those issues before.

Still waiting to play The Witcher after picking it up off of Steam months ago now...Thanks ATI!
People have said this driver has fixed all their issues with The Witcher.

Performance is slightly better but nothing major.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Dec 17, 2009, 18:01
Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 17, 2009, 18:01
Dec 17, 2009, 18:01

acceleration enabled 

Dec 17, 2009, 17:47
Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 17, 2009, 17:47
Dec 17, 2009, 17:47

Still waiting to play The Witcher after picking it up off of Steam months ago now...Thanks ATI!

Dec 17, 2009, 17:44
Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 17, 2009, 17:44
Dec 17, 2009, 17:44

Maybe Borderlands won't constantly reset the display adapter now without tinkering with the CCC?

Maybe most Windows 7 resolutions won't run in letterbox now?

Yeah, about that driver kWaLitTeE...
Queue the rabid supporters...
Hoping NvIdIa will give me something in the new year,
Ray
Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older