Gratuitous Space Battles Add-on Details

Cliffski’s Blog has more outlook on plans for the first expansion pack for Gratuitous Space Battles, Positech's game of tactical (and gratuitous) space combat. Here's a bit on plans for the add-on, and a patch to precede it:
There will be an expansion pack for GSB, and it’s still a little way off, but I did some work on it today so it’s fresh in my mind. Before I release it, there will be another mainstream GSB patch, mainly to improve the modding support to tidy things up and make mods more manageable. After the pack, who knows what’s next?

Anyway… current plans for the pack are to introduce a new race to the game. It will have the same variety of ships as the other races. The ships will also have a few race-specific modules, and some quite drastic ship bonuses. It was a relief to work out that ship bonuses can be negative, meaning this new batch of ships will have weak shields, weak armor, and very strong hulls. My plan is that these ships can take a sustained battering and rely on hull strength and repair systems. The new weapons will be kinetic bullet-firing stuff, like gauss guns / autocannons. I’ve been sorting out the sounds and visuals for them today. There will also be two new scenarios featuring the new race, and it will likely come pre-unlocked so if you buy it you can play with that race immediately.
View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Game Reviews
Dec 2, 2009, 23:15
Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2009, 23:15
Dec 2, 2009, 23:15

I believe people on this forum actually lose sleep over other people's grammar and typing skills; just saying...

Nov 25, 2009, 19:19
Re: Game Reviews Nov 25, 2009, 19:19
Nov 25, 2009, 19:19

You're awfully accepting of illiteracy. 6-7th grade level? I'm curious where that statistic comes from. That's... wow.

Oh, and you used a period at the end of "By the way." A colon or possibly a dash (not to be confused with a hyphen) might have been more appropriate.

It's based off the average level at which newspapers are written at actually. The more affluent newspapers get, the higher the level gets but even that doesn't get much higher, I think around gr.10 or so. But I'm also basing that off Canadian stats. Mileage may vary in the US. :p

I could have used either, but I preferred to end a short sentence with a period instead, it's still correct. I also could have used an exclamation point.

Brain go melty(and a bit malty) at exam time anyway.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Re: Gratuitous Space Battles Add-on Details
Nov 23, 2009, 17:43
ibm
Re: Gratuitous Space Battles Add-on Details Nov 23, 2009, 17:43
Nov 23, 2009, 17:43
ibm

You bastards, I love this game and came in here excited to read comments about what people are building in the mods, how much people like the game, and instead I find this crap. Bastards.

troll

Nov 23, 2009, 16:52
Re: Game Reviews Nov 23, 2009, 16:52
Nov 23, 2009, 16:52

I need to get something out of the way before I begin. I must say that Mr. ForgedReality can back up his screeds only with empty, inflammatory rhetoric, the very thing he vacuously accuses his opponents of using. Let us note first of all that I decidedly dislike him. Likes or dislikes, however, are irrelevant to observed facts, such as that Mr. ForgedReality is terrified that there might be an absolute reality outside himself, a reality that is what it is, regardless of his wishes, theories, hopes, daydreams, or decrees. He says that he is a man of peace. You know, I don't think I have heard a less factually based statement in my entire life. I've left out many criticisms of Mr. ForgedReality from this wailing wall of a letter. Nevertheless, I believe that it's a start—a philosophical space where we can plant a new flag symbolizing all that is wrong with Mr. ForgedReality.

HAHA!! You're brilliant.

Translation: LOL UR FUNY.

Considering most people read/write at a 6-7 grade level? I would say yes. I spent 3mo relearning the grammatical rules, but I've always been a terrible speller. With grammar falling in a short second, written words don't make too much sense to me, in a long-form context.

By the way. You could have used a semicolon in a couple of spots instead of commas. ;P

You're awfully accepting of illiteracy. 6-7th grade level? I'm curious where that statistic comes from. That's... wow.

Oh, and you used a period at the end of "By the way." A colon or possibly a dash (not to be confused with a hyphen) might have been more appropriate.

I love Blue's. =D

Nov 23, 2009, 16:19
Re: Gratuitous Space Battles Add-on Details Nov 23, 2009, 16:19
Nov 23, 2009, 16:19

Now you've done it, Tumbler is mad.

Nov 23, 2009, 15:39
Re: Gratuitous Space Battles Add-on Details Nov 23, 2009, 15:39
Nov 23, 2009, 15:39

You bastards, I love this game and came in here excited to read comments about what people are building in the mods, how much people like the game, and instead I find this crap. Bastards.

Nov 23, 2009, 12:52
Re: Gratuitous Space Battles Add-on Details Nov 23, 2009, 12:52
Nov 23, 2009, 12:52

you'll notice that most people who use "douche" related insults will be found to be lacking in the area of sophistication

Nov 23, 2009, 11:45
Re: Game Reviews Nov 23, 2009, 11:45
Nov 23, 2009, 11:45

While I don't normally care much about abbreviating words online, like "u" instead of "you" or "r" instead of "are", when people are actually using the wrong word, that get's annoying and tends to make me very skeptical of anything they say. If you don't know the difference between the possessive "your" and the contraction of "you are", which is something that I think most people learn by about the third grade, then how can you really be taken seriously? If you're too lazy to use the proper word, then I have to believe that your argument is probably created just as lazily.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Nov 23, 2009, 11:10
Re: Game Reviews Nov 23, 2009, 11:10
Nov 23, 2009, 11:10

Time for Blue to change the article's title to Gratuitous Grammar Flaming, I think.
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

Nov 23, 2009, 10:07
Re: Game Reviews Nov 23, 2009, 10:07
Nov 23, 2009, 10:07

Oh, okay, so simply EXPECTING people to be idiots, and letting them grow more lazy and stupid day by day is an acceptable stance? How can you expect to have an intelligent conversation with someone who can't even figure out what the fuck an apostrophe is, or that "you" is more than one letter?
Considering most people read/write at a 6-7 grade level? I would say yes. I spent 3mo relearning the grammatical rules, but I've always been a terrible speller. With grammar falling in a short second, written words don't make too much sense to me, in a long-form context.

By the way. You could have used a semicolon in a couple of spots instead of commas.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Nov 23, 2009, 09:47
Re: Game Reviews Nov 23, 2009, 09:47
Nov 23, 2009, 09:47

Oh, okay, so simply EXPECTING people to be idiots, and letting them grow more lazy and stupid day by day is an acceptable stance?

depends on how experienced you are

Nov 23, 2009, 09:25
Re: Game Reviews Nov 23, 2009, 09:25
Nov 23, 2009, 09:25

What the fuck?
Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

Nov 23, 2009, 08:49
Re: Game Reviews Nov 23, 2009, 08:49
Nov 23, 2009, 08:49

I need to get something out of the way before I begin. I must say that Mr. ForgedReality can back up his screeds only with empty, inflammatory rhetoric, the very thing he vacuously accuses his opponents of using. Let us note first of all that I decidedly dislike him. Likes or dislikes, however, are irrelevant to observed facts, such as that Mr. ForgedReality is terrified that there might be an absolute reality outside himself, a reality that is what it is, regardless of his wishes, theories, hopes, daydreams, or decrees. He says that he is a man of peace. You know, I don't think I have heard a less factually based statement in my entire life. I've left out many criticisms of Mr. ForgedReality from this wailing wall of a letter. Nevertheless, I believe that it's a start—a philosophical space where we can plant a new flag symbolizing all that is wrong with Mr. ForgedReality.
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Nov 23, 2009, 07:41
Re: Game Reviews Nov 23, 2009, 07:41
Nov 23, 2009, 07:41

YOU'RE, god dammit! YOU'RE!!!!!!

I laughed

Nov 23, 2009, 07:15
Re: Game Reviews Nov 23, 2009, 07:15
Nov 23, 2009, 07:15

u sir r a compl33t3 & utter f00l
I have a nifty blue line!

Nov 22, 2009, 23:06
Re: Game Reviews Nov 22, 2009, 23:06
Nov 22, 2009, 23:06

relax man, language has been evolving since day dot, expecting it to conform to righteous apprehension is futile.

Oh, okay, so simply EXPECTING people to be idiots, and letting them grow more lazy and stupid day by day is an acceptable stance? How can you expect to have an intelligent conversation with someone who can't even figure out what the fuck an apostrophe is, or that "you" is more than one letter?

I don't intend to derail this thread, though, so um.. GO POSITECH! >_>

Nov 22, 2009, 21:18
Re: Game Reviews Nov 22, 2009, 21:18
Nov 22, 2009, 21:18

relax man, language has been evolving since day dot, expecting it to conform to righteous apprehension is futile. Interesting that your summary on mainstream phenomena sheds light on this point.

that is an elementary school grammar mistake, how can you possibly try to rationalize that without being sarcastic?

Nov 22, 2009, 20:53
Re: Game Reviews Nov 22, 2009, 20:53
Nov 22, 2009, 20:53

Holy shit, I am so sick of the illiteracy on the internet these days. It seems to get fucking worse and worse, and it literally makes me worry for the future of humanity.

relax man, language has been evolving since day dot, expecting it to conform to righteous apprehension is futile. Interesting that your summary on mainstream phenomena sheds light on this point.
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

Nov 22, 2009, 20:10
Re: Game Reviews Nov 22, 2009, 20:10
Nov 22, 2009, 20:10

GrammEr nazi!

Nov 22, 2009, 19:08
Re: Game Reviews Nov 22, 2009, 19:08
Nov 22, 2009, 19:08

While Forza 3 is a great game, your still a douche.

YOU'RE, god dammit! YOU'RE!!!!!!

Holy shit, I am so sick of the illiteracy on the internet these days. It seems to get fucking worse and worse, and it literally makes me worry for the future of humanity.

Anyway, this game is probably a little less mainstream than a lot of people are used to. That's why it takes a certain kind of person to like a game like this. Maybe it's the "breath of fresh air" some people like, since it's unlike most other games, but personally, this game just doesn't do it for me.

I think there's a reason things go mainstream: people like them. Because something about those things appeals to them. When you take risks, and try to break out of the confines of what it takes to be mainstream, you risk alienating a lot of potential customers because it's a jolt to their system and not something they are used to. While it's great that games like this attempt to do things that are original, it's not always the best move from a business standpoint.
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older